Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters (3559 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / Why The N50 Charge By Fg Is Corruption In Itself / Nnamdi Kanu Charged With Treasonable Felony By FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2011
Did he say he's rejecting the award? Come on! He is always fond of himself, that which I know about him. He projects himself above what he's capable of. Though, he is a good writer with no doubt also an overly individual. Sorry to say he has been know to exhibit arrogance in some instance - when a famous white writer, Schweitzer, called African my brother in his novel he criticized him from the quote "The African is indeed my brother but my junior brother". He's a writer who doesn't exercise maturity in some situations and he will live with the consequences - indeed, that might cost him a Nobel prize in the future. Who would nominate an arrogant as a Laureate in literature?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by TenKobo1: 10:55am On Nov 13, 2011
Am just wondering how else a man could exhibit his class and quality if it's not through what he does and the ''arrogant'' assertion of same. Christ's assertion of 'I am the way, the Truth and the Life, No one cometh unto the Father except through me, smacks of ''arrogance'', yet it's the truth. Achebe's ''arrogance'' is the smoke rising from the fire of quality that seats beneath. He remains a legend any day, the breed that comes into the world once in a life time. on the topic, I sincerely wish he reject Retardinho and his frivolous award.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 13, 2011
^^^
Whatever! He is not my legend but your legend. However, I haven't really seen where critiques put down a lot about what qualifies him to be a legend - not even in African literatures. He's not somebody I actually admire in the literary world, at least, he should try to get his hands on other areas like poetry, playwriting,activism,etc to prove his legendary skill - as you guys are alluding to here.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Godmann(m): 9:36am On Nov 14, 2011
all4naija:

^^^
Whatever! He is not my legend but your legend. However, I haven't really seen where critiques put down a lot about what qualifies him to be a legend - not even in African literatures. He's not somebody I actually admire in the literary world, at least, he should try to get his hands on other areas like poetry, playwriting,activism,etc to prove his legendary skill - as you guys are alluding to here.

You can choose to make whoever you like your legend, but that does not make your choice a wise one.

You can take a look at his book, The problem with Nigeria written years ago before probably your were born and see his foresight.

Me-think he is right in rejecting Obasanjo's award and this one from Jonathan. If all the people like him will act like that, the politicians will be shamed; and they will have no option than to come back to their senses and govern properly.

It is because people like us still worships them and make them relevant that they keep misruling us.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by TenKobo1: 2:43pm On Nov 14, 2011
If his rejecting Obasanjo and Retardinho's worthless awards and inducement does not amount to activism of the highest degree, i wonder what else would constitute same. Our idea of activism should not begin and end with those noisy gbosas of our student union days, it goes far beyond that.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Baawaa(m): 3:02pm On Nov 14, 2011
It is no more a news Achebe reject the award!!
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 14, 2011
@Godman_n

I am less concerned of him rejecting those awards but his arrogance and purported legendary figure which I can't see from his works. I still stand on my ground that he is a great writer but there is no an iota of evidence to prove he is a legend even within his own folks. To me he's overrated though.

@Ten Kobo

That is not activism but show of pride. Activism is engaging not just rejection of an award - in this case was for the list of those filed up for the awards not to disapprove of his discontentment with the govt which he has not exhibited until now. I would like to see some instances of his activism during the regime of our former dictators.

@Baawaa

It's all his own choice to be reckoned with. Does that bother me? Hell no!But, it shouldn't be treated as an excuse for activism. That's where I don't always agree with people on issues concerning this famous author.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Godmann(m): 8:02am On Nov 15, 2011
all4naija:

@Godman_n

I am less concerned of him rejecting those awards but his arrogance and purported legendary figure which I can't see from his works. I still stand on my ground that he is a great writer but there is no an iota of evidence to prove he is a legend even within his own folks. To me he's overrated though.

@Ten Kobo

That is not activism but show of pride. Activism is engaging not just rejection of an award - in this case was for the list of those filed up for the awards not to disapprove of his discontentment with the govt which he has not exhibited until now. I would like to see some instances of his activism during the regime of our former dictators.

@Baawaa

It's all his own choice to be reckoned with. Does that bother me? Hell no!But, it shouldn't be treated as an excuse for activism. That's where I don't always agree with people on issues concerning this famous author.

I do not know you, but will swear that you are yoruba from what you have said. Tribalism does not pay. It beclouds our reasoning.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2011
Yes! I am Yoruba. What is tribalism in my comment? For saying what I observed about an author?Jeez! For your information, many of my good friends are not from my father's tribe.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Godmann(m): 5:01pm On Nov 15, 2011
all4naija:

Yes! I am Yoruba. What is tribalism in my comment? For saying what I observed about an author?Jeez! For your information, many of my good friends are not from my father's tribe.

Keep deceiving yourself. It seems you are not even intelligent enough to know your inner-self.

Wake up. Would you have made those comments, if it was Soyinka that is being discussed?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^^
Enlightened!? Whatever!

I have said many times in this forum that Wole Soyinka was my mentor. I also remembered when many of your tribesmen came around using some slur words to describe him and I never said they were tribalists or whatsoever you called it. Now, you are quick to see me tribal in this case because I criticized whom you deemed everybody must worships or refers to as legend. I my right?

What I can say to you now is to take your slowpoke a.s.s off my comments and steer clear from what I have to say.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture: What Should Michelle Do To Obama For This"blunder" With Beyonce / Have You Noticed Picture Quality Of NTA Lately? / Viewers Discretion: A Lovely Family Of Six Perished On Lagos-ibadan Way.( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.