Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State (7836 Views)

Buhari’s Abia Rally Dwarfs Gej's Rally In Abia [ Compare Photos] / Nigerian Christian Midwife Sues Hospital For Making Her Wear Trousers In Surgery / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by pilas: 5:56pm On Sep 19, 2007
Nigeria: Chaos As Youths Chase Women in Trousers in Aba

Vanguard (Lagos)

19 September 2007
Posted to the web 19 September 2007

Vincent Ujumadu
Umuahia

THERE was pandemonium in the commercial city of Aba and Umuahia, the Abia State capital yesterday as some youths chased women who wore trousers about and attempted to tear their wears on the streets.

But in a swift reaction, the wife of the state governor, Mrs. Mercy Orji condemned the action of the youths, insisting that nobody should take the laws into his hands. The state government has also issued a statement on the matter describing as illegal harassment of the females on trousers.

It was not clear at press time what caused the problem, but passers-by suddenly saw some youths chasing girls on trousers on the streets and in some cases forced them to provided money with which the youth bought skirts from nearby stores and gave them to the girls to change into.

Many females who traveled to the state from other parts of the country were taken unawares and had to remain in the vehicles that brought them to the two towns. Some security operatives at some check points also seized the opportunity to extort money from some of the girls before allowing them to go.

Mrs Orji who was worried by the development urged the youths to stop harassing people.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200709190849.html
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by denex: 6:10pm On Sep 19, 2007
I knew there were some Ibos converting to Islam, but I didn't ever imagine that they would go all out to effect Sharia Law in Abia. So all along they've been appreciating the changes that Sharia was bringing in the Northern States?

When will they institute Hijab and Burqah as the official dresscode in Abia?

Why did they take so long to declare their love and true intentions towards Islam? Na wah O! That backward religion.

Watch out for the first hand to be chopped off or the first woman to be stoned in Abia State.

Let's place wagers on which would happen first: Handicapping, Decapitating or Stoning?

I place my bet on handicapping. Abia State citizens, especially those Islamo-phillic youths, please do not disappoint me. I'm counting on all of you and your new found love for Sharia during this Holy Month of Ramadan. May Allah guide you all.

The Abia State Government can now dedicate $2 billion to purchase buses for separate transportation of Men and Women. A loan of course can be easily obtained from any of those Sharia Countries like Saudi Arabia, then later on, the Federal Government will be looking for ways to pay that off.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by pilas: 6:48pm On Sep 19, 2007
wink
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by rasque(m): 7:10pm On Sep 19, 2007
Where was islam mentioned in the article?
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 21, 2007
Sharia in IBO Land?
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by tonia2000(f): 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2007
How come they have so many crazy and brainwashed youths in that state.I cld remember clearly during my youth service days every minute i always desired to vacate that enviroment (Umuahia North).Too many arrogant and inhuman ppl.Its just that the good ones are not allowed to rule that state.shio
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by pilas: 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2007
wink
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by osisi5: 2:27am On Sep 22, 2007
denex:

I knew there were some Ibos converting to Islam, but I didn't ever imagine that they would go all out to effect Sharia Law in Abia. So all along they've been appreciating the changes that Sharia was bringing in the Northern States?

When will they institute Hijab and Burqah as the official dresscode in Abia?

Why did they take so long to declare their love and true intentions towards Islam? Na wah O! That backward religion.

Watch out for the first hand to be chopped off or the first woman to be stoned in Abia State.

Let's place wagers on which would happen first: Handicapping, Decapitating or Stoning?

I place my bet on handicapping. Abia State citizens, especially those Islamo-phillic youths, please do not disappoint me. I'm counting on all of you and your new found love for Sharia during this Holy Month of Ramadan. May Allah guide you all.

The Abia State Government can now dedicate $2 billion to purchase buses for separate transportation of Men and Women. A loan of course can be easily obtained from any of those Sharia Countries like Saudi Arabia, then later on, the Federal Government will be looking for ways to pay that off.

The Igbos who convert to Islam are mainly 419ers.
This story is about touts harrasing innocent girls.
The day you hear of sharia in Igboland,know that Mohammed has set up his throne in Abakpa Nike
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by oybv101: 9:14am On Sep 22, 2007
+osisi:

The Igbos who convert to Islam are mainly 419ers.
This story is about touts harrasing innocent girls.
The day you hear of sharia in Igboland,know that Muhammad has set up his throne in Abakpa Nike

my my my, you are a queen of double standards, aren't you? tongue

when it happens in lagos-'fashola must be related to hausas' your words
when it happens in benue, 'the muslims will kill us all'
but when it happens in nnaland, its touts.
(who would have thought -those wonderful, industrious ibos have touts.one would think that its only other tribes that have malcontents-almajiris, area boys.thank you for clearing that up.

'the igbos who convert to islam are mostly 419ers'
wonder wonder wonder!shame on you!what nonsense! where did you get this latest tidbit from? your warped , tribalist secterrian mind?

perhaps the ibos selling fake drugs in onitsha, smuggling cocaine, and selling fake goods are also 'converted muslims'
back in the days of night browsing , your tribesmen would gather (at 10 pm in the cyber cafe) and engage in group prayer to jesus for successful business before commencing forwarding their scam mails.

anyway, what would one expect from nairaland's poster child for tribalism, jingoism and sectertianism? tongue

instead of casting aspersions on islam(the only thing you seem to be proficient at) why don't you explain why your tribesmen are behaving like backward, illitearte mediveial scum? perhaps you will need to wear a wrapper when next you travel down to igboland. otherwise, your chivalrous compatriots just might molest you.(after the muslim ones have magaed you out of your dollars )

the world needs less people like you. cry .
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2007
@denex
What is all this,
Where was islam mentioned.
the same scenario happened in Lagos,
Islam is a religion of peace,
You can't just castigate other peoples religion as backward.

pls note what you say,
am totally angry at you
If you don'thave anyhting meaningful to say , then sharrraauup,

I don't mind been banned ,but watch your mouth,
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by pilas: 5:15pm On Sep 22, 2007
@Oyb v1.01 ,you are right on the money.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by pilas: 5:16pm On Sep 22, 2007
she is like that. grin
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by mazaje(m): 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2007
well said  oyb v1.01  people like babyosisi are the reason why nigeria fails to progress and move away from the shackles of tribalisim, bigotry and all those other stupid and shameful human attributes that serve as a constraint to our collective progress.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by osisi5: 7:52pm On Sep 22, 2007
I must be too much o.
all this my popularity sef.
make I begin campaign for speaker
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by osisi5: 8:00pm On Sep 22, 2007
oyb v1.01:

my my my, you are a queen of double standards, aren't you? tongue

when it happens in lagos-'fashola must be related to hausas' your words
when it happens in benue, 'the muslims will kill us all'
but when it happens in nnaland, its touts.
(who would have thought -those wonderful, industrious ibos have touts.one would think that its only other tribes that have malcontents-almajiris, area boys.thank you for clearing that up.

'the igbos who convert to islam are mostly 419ers'
wonder wonder wonder!shame on you!what nonsense! where did you get this latest tidbit from? your warped , tribalist secterrian mind?

perhaps the ibos selling fake drugs in onitsha, smuggling cocaine, and selling fake goods are also 'converted muslims'
back in the days of night browsing , your tribesmen would gather (at 10 pm in the cyber cafe) and engage in group prayer to jesus for successful business before commencing forwarding their scam mails.

anyway, what would one expect from nairaland's poster child for tribalism, jingoism and sectertianism? tongue

instead of casting aspersions on islam(the only thing you seem to be proficient at) why don't you explain why your tribesmen are behaving like backward, illitearte mediveial scum? perhaps you will need to wear a wrapper when next you travel down to igboland. otherwise, your chivalrous compatriots just might molest you.(after the muslim ones have magaed you out of your dollars )

the world needs less people like you. cry .

is this how you break your "holy fast" shocked shocked
abeg go grab mrs oyb and leave me alone grin grin
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by osisi5: 8:03pm On Sep 22, 2007
mazaje:

well said oyb v1.01 people like babyosisi are the reason why nigeria fails to progress and move away from the shackles of tribalisim, bigotry and all those other stupid and shameful human attributes that serve as a constraint to our collective progress.

After you find your way out of the Mediterranean,I'll respond.
Na only Cyprus,soon you'll be writing from Carpaneum and Antioch tongue
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by osisi5: 8:37pm On Sep 22, 2007
Two of the most prominent Igbo Moslems are Alhaji Abdulaziz Ude and Alhaji Yahaya Ndu. Ndu, the Presidential candidate of the African Renaissance Party (ARP), is from Ezeagu LGA in Enugu State. Another, Alhaji Isah Okonkwo, 90 is not well- known. An indigene of Akpugo in Nkanu LGA, Enugu State, he was lured into Islam as a member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). He rose quickly, becoming the president of the Moslem Corpers Association in Kaduna State and the Moslem Corpers Association of Nigeria. Okonkwo was made the Chief Imam, University of Ibadan in the 1980’s. And there is Muhammed Okorie from Awgwu in Enugu State, who also became President of the Moslem Corpers Association of Nigeria. Sheik Adamu Abdullahi Idoko, from Nsukka, is the Chief Imam of the mosque at UNN. He was also on pilgrimage to Mecca during this research. Nsukka is the key base of Islamic expansionism in Igboland. 91 Alhaji Dauda Onyeagocha is the Chief Imam of the controversial Owerri main mosque, which is situated near the Government House. The resident Imam is Aminu Igwegbe; both are from Imo State. It is said that Senator Arthur Nzeribe is one benefactors of state’s Islamic community. He is alleged to have donated about N5 million toward the construction of the controversial mosque. 92

Another Igbo Muslim, Alhaji Obi Ike, 93 embraced the Islamic religion in order to “play them 419.” A former practicing Catholic, he became a Moslem and went on pilgrimage to Mecca in 1977, because he wanted to use his new religion to break into the Nigerian power structure, which is historically dominated by Moslems. Married to a woman from the Caliphate, he gained prominence in the Shagari administration, especially during the Sharia debate in the 1980’s. His marriage opened doors for him: He was awarded several contracts, which furnished him with resources to build and own hotels across the country. 94

Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by denex: 10:11pm On Sep 22, 2007
It is Sharia!

All the Sharia wannabe states are now showing themselves. Benue, Lagos and now Abia.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by Seun(m): 6:28am On Sep 23, 2007
In Lagos State, we refer to them as "touts".
In Port Harcourt, they are "militants".
In Abia State, they are called "youths".
In developed countries, they are called "criminals". Pity.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by swiftycool(m): 8:56am On Sep 23, 2007
@ Poster
Sorry , im not sure we are on the same page. i followed your link and fell into a completely different story are u sure u didn't make this shit up yourself. Im no Igbo guy, But im well aware that igbo youths or whatever are not that myopic. In fact they are the major importers of female trousers and they'll do anything to improve acceptabiliy of their market wares like d real natural business men they R.

@ others

Im a detrabalised Nigerian xtian, but ill say to all you speaking trash about shit u dont know especially this +osisi chick u are still blinded by Biafra and negative religious doctrines. Why dont u try getting real information and reading about d stuff u dont know about people? It could help u become better than an empty Barrel, For ur in4matn Sharia supports the wearing of trousers by women. it is some of our own ignorant christianity doctrines and sects that doesn't.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by spaceworld: 8:57am On Sep 23, 2007
May God save us, our culture is dying, so what else, but oyinbo culture no die sha instead  they are spreading and making us to adopt their culture, Abu Dubai is one of the civilized and developed country still they go about dem culture pls let have a change to our culture
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by surugede(m): 9:09am On Sep 23, 2007
in trying no to divert from the Issue at stake, i must say that in as much as i don't support their action of tearing the trousers of ladies in the street and leaving them naked (4 that was what they were actually doing) i must say that these days, our ladies dressing is really disgusting. how can a girl leave her house claming to be dressed while all "her self" is showing. the will put on trousers with a skmpy top thereby reavelling their underwears, it can be so disgusting sometimes that even the "underwear" is just stands of ropes (well they call it G-string. G-stirng ko)

i mean, for crying out loud, when dd underwears became "overwear".  I don't support dia action, but I'm not against it either, i think our ladies should be tot some dress sense. and dat is wat is wat the first lady (first lady indeed) should be doing.

meeeeen u need to c Aba now, its colour has changed because the ladies not look decent. [s]thumbs up to the initiators and excutors of that noble act[/s] , dd i just say that? well slip sleep of tounge
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by tommyex(m): 9:27am On Sep 23, 2007
SWIFTYCOOL

nicely said,i totally agree with all ur words

Seun

very funny,nice 1
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by surugede(m): 9:44am On Sep 23, 2007
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by greatmen: 11:23am On Sep 23, 2007
i think nigerians have notthing else to do again what sort of nonsense i study abroad and i dont understant if trousers have turned to atomic bomb why cant they think of the rubbish everyway isnt that an offense to see so much duty ina i tire o,i am a man i idont see nutting wrong if ladies want to were trousers wich levels so ur telling me a student who works and moves all day should not were trousers please tell them to commot the duty way dey for road or the naked mad men or women to a better place.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by ayasco(m): 12:08pm On Sep 23, 2007
swiftycool:

@ others

I'm a detrabalised Nigerian xtian, but ill say to all you speaking trash about shit u don't know especially this +osisi chick u are still blinded by Biafra and negative religious doctrines. Why don't u try getting real information and reading about d stuff u don't know about people? It could help u become better than an empty Barrel, For your in4matn Sharia supports the wearing of trousers by women. it is some of our own ignorant christianity doctrines and sects that doesn't.
God bless you swiftycool.Oga seun i think u need send this +Osisi of a thing out of here.he is a disgrace to the Nigeria community as a whole.i followed up most of his write ups and have noticed that they are either about condemning peoples religion, tribe or ideal.if there is a reason why people think twice when they have a Nigerian Passport it because of the deeds of +osisi's people back home and abroad.i wonder why they dont just let them go and stop disgracing us.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by londoner: 1:15pm On Sep 23, 2007
surugede:

in trying no to divert from the Issue at stake, i must say that in as much as i don't support their action of tearing the trousers of ladies in the street and leaving them naked (4 that was what they were actually doing) i must say that these days, our ladies dressing is really disgusting. how can a girl leave her house claming to be dressed while all "her self" is showing. the will put on trousers with a skmpy top thereby reavelling their underwears, it can be so disgusting sometimes that even the "underwear" is just stands of ropes (well they call it G-string. G-stirng ko)

i mean, for crying out loud, when dd underwears became "overwear". I don't support dia action, but I'm not against it either, i think our ladies should be tot some dress sense. and that is what is what the first lady (first lady indeed) should be doing.

meeeeen u need to c Aba now, its colour has changed because the ladies not look decent. [s]thumbs up to the initiators and excutors of that noble act[/s] , dd i just say that? well slip sleep of tounge

I dont see the relevance of your support for the actions and your talk of women not covering up. A woman in trousers is not exposing herself, she is doing the opposite in covering her lower region.

I just dont like the way that women in Africa must always be reminded that they are seen as less than men. Let those vigilantes target the fraudsters, thieves and murderers in their community. Is the trousers worn by women, really the most pressing issue in the state? Men like that are cowards, they target what they see as weak, instead of protecting the streets of their communties from the real degenerates.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by redsun(m): 1:40pm On Sep 23, 2007
The whole country is going insane,kai,the ugly effects of ignorance.What has dressing got to do with people's stupidity and backwardness?one will expect a place like aba that is embracing technology and innovations slowly to be at the fore front of tolerance,what is the point of making those clothes if people can't buy it?Politicians and brainwased religion don put the country for reverse.May Fela live for ever,you are dead when you are forgotten.
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by romeo(m): 1:58pm On Sep 23, 2007
surugede:

i mean, for crying out loud, when dd underwears became "overwear". I don't support dia action, but I'm not against it either, i think our ladies should be tot some dress sense. and that is what is what the first lady (first lady indeed) should be doing.

typical of a warped, indecent, uneducated, timid, unexposed, stupid mind!!

i can't understand how people that can use the Internet and computer reason so foolishly
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by surugede(m): 2:38pm On Sep 23, 2007
@ londoner
u said  "A woman in trousers is not exposing herself, she is doing the opposite in covering her lower region." well that is what it is "expected to do" but i must say that most of these girls abuse it. i ve seen cases where they will be on top bike (okada) and the trousers can not cover they "koko below" i ve asked a lady y they shld adoprt such and she (in all boldness) said its for them to "show off" don't ask me what; your guess is as good as mine.

the local talors help them in making "low waist" trousers (thats what they call it) but the fact is that such are not "low waist" they are actually "upper buttocks" as such trousers hardly get up to the waist.

In as much as i do not support the action of the "youths" i must say that some level of decency should be maintained by our ladies in their dressing. i ddnt say they must or must not wear trousers, which ever to chose to wear, decency should (outh to be ) maintained
Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by mekaboy(m): 3:00pm On Sep 23, 2007
wHO SAID IT WAS ABOUT RELIGION ?

Re: Youths Chase Women In Trousers In Abia State by mekoyo(m): 3:01pm On Sep 23, 2007
What is wrong with our youths. What is all these chasing around women, what is the kidnapping about, what is all these rubbish.

I dont condole or advice any girl to put on trousers but who gave them the right to start chasing them and buying skirts for them. Na wa O.

We need prayer in Nigeria. Serious prayer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! / Soldier Sentenced To Death For Mutiny, Writes Letter To His 5-years-old Son / External Reserves Fall By $841m In Three Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.