Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,197 members, 7,811,517 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab (10001 Views)

Unilag Gate Shut Down By Students Over Infestation Of Bedbugs.*pics / Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months / Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by attitude1: 10:52am On Nov 18, 2011
Note that these schools are public schools. They are part of the missionary schools that have been handed over and funded by the government through taxpayers' money. I support the demand for freedom of religious expression in as much as it does not infringe on others' rights. Dress code should not be unilaterally imposed rather it should be a joint decision by all the stakeholders; government, lawmakers, parents, teachers, school management boards, ministry of education and others. However, I do not support the beating up of teachers. (Although this needs to be verified).

Also, what has been reported is the protest around the town. Since when have protests become illegal? We've all praised the "Occupy wall street" protesters, why different for this. I believe there are ways the government can solve these issues. They should convene a meeting of relevant stakeholders where such issues and others can be properly discussed. Muffling peoples' views can be counter-productive. Also, incidences of violence such as beating up of teachers/female students, arrest of students should be properly investigated and culprits brought to book.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ifffffy(f): 10:56am On Nov 18, 2011
Only if christains wil be allowd to use scurfs.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ifffffy(f): 11:00am On Nov 18, 2011
Only God wil save us 4rm al these violence loving and neva do wel creatures. Hijab my foot.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by dammytosh: 11:05am On Nov 18, 2011
The academic settings is WESTERN not CHRISTIAN. The curriculum is WESTERN. The dress code is WESTERN. If you are not ok with any of these, y not just go to an islamic school instead of all this unnecassary display of MONOPOLY of VIOLENCE. So if Cherubim and Seraphim Church members decide to wear Sultana  / White garment to school. They should be allowed.

Na wa for the way we think in this country.  What mark will HIJAB add to Waec, Neco or JAMB Scores. Bunch of retarded people.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by icez: 11:07am On Nov 18, 2011
Goddex:

But the schools mentioned here are all missionary (christian) schools.

Why do muslims like trouble? Is it because Osun state now has a muslim
governor (Aregbesola)?

You may just be right.

What i find funny is; the girl in question has being going to that school before this event occurred (This is not her first day in school).
Why does she suddenly want to start wearing that scrap?
Just to start a fight i suppose? angry
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ziccoit: 11:10am On Nov 18, 2011
DOGI DOPE:

some people are just talking,if only they know what some of this people do with this so called hijab.Some of them use it as a mat when there is need for them to go down with their boy friends,i am talking from experience and you can quote me HIJAB MY FOOT

How does raking of used condoms morning after a night vigil justify banning of night vigil gatherings? What is in that skull? Bros
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by karyurdey(m): 11:11am On Nov 18, 2011
Can anyone give me a good defination of the world "UNIFORM"? When u start wearing diffrent hijab to school, is no more a uniform, orderwise approved by the school management or the state government, without that, hijab will never be accepted, put your cause through the right channel & not through violence way all the time, moroover, we have islamic skool around, why not send ur ward ova, all diz children we r even talkin about, hijab have never changed their life, we should be talking of Moral & not hijab, msheeeww
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by dammytosh: 11:16am On Nov 18, 2011
I NOW SEE REASONS WHY SCHOOLS LIKE COVENANT SHOULD NOT ALLOW MUSLIMS IN THEIR SCHOOL. WHEN THEY GET TO 300L THEY WILL START CRYING FOR THE NEED TO WEAR 4 STOREY TURBINES TO LECTURE HALLS.

IN WHAT WAY IS THE CURRENT UNIFORM CHRISTIAN , SO Y THE NEED TO DIFFERENTIATE MUSLIMS. I AM APPALLED BY THE PRIMITIVE THINKING OF THOSE SUPPORTING HIJAB IN THOSE SCHOOLS.

WE KEEP SEPARATING AND TEARING OUR SELVES APART. VERY SOON A NON HIJAB STUDENT WILL HAVE A NORMAL BRAWL WITH A HIJAB STUDENT AND WE HAVE A DECLARATION OF HOLY WAR.

THE SHOW OF SHAME AND EXHIBITION OF MONOPOLY OF VIOLENCE BY SOME RELIGIOUS BIGOT IN NIGERIA IS MORE THAN NECESSARY
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ov: 11:18am On Nov 18, 2011
I am really beginning to HATE all muslims ooooo.

Y are they so so violent and intolerant to other religious sects?

They keep acting as if they own the 9ja and indeed the world.

Abeg if they want to wear hijab, then i am sure they have ANSAR U' DEEN schools. they can even dress naked to their own schools as far as am concerned.

But as long as it is a public school, then they MUST comply with the accepted school uniform. Am sure parents sign agreements for their wards in acceptance of the schools dress code.

Police should arrest that Dawud for causing social unrest. Bloody bastards called muslims.

I wish Hitler had wiped all of them off the surface of this earth. Idiots
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ssjalo(m): 11:27am On Nov 18, 2011
[s]PLS WHAT COMPARED THE MOVEMENT OF LIZARD AND CHAMELEON??

LET EVERY TERRESTRIAL FIND HIS OR HER WAY
[/s]
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by splitnaija(m): 11:33am On Nov 18, 2011
I'm beginning to hate religion and religious people in to-to! Eliminate organized religion and there will be global peace.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 18, 2011
dammytosh:

I NOW SEE REASONS WHY SCHOOLS LIKE COVENANT SHOULD NOT ALLOW MUSLIMS IN THEIR SCHOOL. WHEN THEY GET TO 300L THEY WILL START CRYING FOR THE NEED TO WEAR 4 STOREY TURBINES TO LECTURE HALLS.

IN WHAT WAY IS THE CURRENT UNIFORM CHRISTIAN , SO Y THE NEED TO DIFFERENTIATE MUSLIMS. I AM APPALLED BY THE PRIMITIVE THINKING OF THOSE SUPPORTING HIJAB IN THOSE SCHOOLS.

WE KEEP SEPARATING AND TEARING OUR SELVES APART. VERY SOON A NON HIJAB STUDENT WILL HAVE A NORMAL BRAWL WITH A HIJAB STUDENT AND WE HAVE A DECLARATION OF HOLY WAR.

THE SHOW OF SHAME AND EXHIBITION OF MONOPOLY OF VIOLENCE BY SOME RELIGIOUS BIGOT IN NIGERIA IS MORE THAN NECESSARY
grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 18, 2011
splitnaija:

I'm beginning to hate religion and religious people in to-to! Eliminate organized religion and there will be global peace.
In total support. And I support ur username too. Split the damn country now! angry angry angry
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Ihengote: 11:47am On Nov 18, 2011
[b]
imek26:

The school authority should allow them wear their hijabs.
[/b]

U r out of your senses, the schools mentioned here are the christain schools, will muslem schools allow christains to do morning devotions, read bible or sing christain songs in the asemble.
In the case of public school, if hijab is not part of the uniform, why putting it on to school . There are muslems schools around were you can put on your hijab if u like wearing it to school.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by zangality(m): 11:50am On Nov 18, 2011
So far the school is a public school muslims should be allow to practice their religion freely since there are two major religions in this country,
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by phreakabit(m): 11:51am On Nov 18, 2011
dammytosh:

The academic settings is WESTERN not CHRISTIAN. The curriculum is WESTERN. The dress code is WESTERN. If you are not ok with any of these, y not just go to an islamic school instead of all this unnecassary display of MONOPOLY of VIOLENCE. So if Cherubim and Seraphim Church members decide to wear Sultana  / White garment to school. They should be allowed.

Na wa for the way we think in this country.  What mark will HIJAB add to Waec, Neco or JAMB Scores. Bunch of slow people.

How about a round of applause Ladies and Gents. This poster is 100% spot on! I thought I was the only one who actually understood what is going on here.

Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by reloboy(m): 11:55am On Nov 18, 2011
I don't know the problem of all these christians, I don't see anything wrong in a student putting on Hijab to the school afterall it is necessary 4 every muslim female to cover their head in other to protect their beauty although the name of the school is methodi, Or whatever but it is still a government school so leave we muslims alone and let us pratice our religion <ISLAM>,
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2011
These people sef. No matter how i try to see them in positive light,it just aint working. Dont know why they are always this troublesome. Religious tolerance? They dont even know what it is! We are talking about a handful of muslim students in a mostly christian state and they want to impose their crap on everyone. Jeez. These guys would never accept any thing christian in their muslim schools yet when they are allowed by christians to study with them,they keep bringing up one trouble or the other. Damn. Someone is talking of morals. I dont want to tell you what those girls do in the closet! Well,if the government decides that they should be allowed then fine. But must they be this rebellious?
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by imek26: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2011
Ihengote:

[b][/b]

U r out of your senses, the schools mentioned here are the christain schools, will muslem schools allow christains to do morning devotions, read bible or sing christain songs in the asemble.
In the case of public school, if hijab is not part of the uniform, why putting it on to school . There are muslems schools around were you can put on your hijab if u like wearing it to school.
I am not out of my senses the school is a public school controlled by the state government you are the one and i don't know them protest = violence. And you are really displaying how peaceful you are.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by dammytosh: 12:05pm On Nov 18, 2011
reloboy:

I don't know the problem of all these christians, I don't see anything wrong in a student putting on Hijab to the school afterall it is necessary 4 every muslim female to cover their head in other to protect their beauty although the name of the school is methodi, Or whatever but it is still a government school so leave we muslims alone and let us pratice our religion <ISLAM>,

THAT DOES NOT SOUND GREEN AT ALL DESPITE THE COLOR. IF THE SCHOOL IS METHODIST, WHAT ABOUT GOING TO ANSARUDEEN OR AN WARUL - ISLAM.

THERE ARE MUSLIM MISSIONARY SCHOOLS THAT BELONG TO GOVERNMENTS IN IBADAN. THE MOSQUE IS AS BIG AS NATIONAL MOSQUE ABUJA AND YOU DARE NOT DO FELLOWSHIP IN A TINY CLASSROOM. SO WHAT IS THE NEED FOR ALL THIS

SINCE THAT SHORT TROUSERED GOVERNOR TOOK OVER. I EXPECTED THIS IN OSUN STATE LONG AGO. I WILL JUST ADVISE THAT WE KEEP LIVING IN PEACE COS WHEN OTHER PEOPLE BREAKS THE MONOPOLY OF VIOLENCE, NIGERIA WILL KNOW NO PEACE AGAIN.

- MY PENNY
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by superstar1(m): 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2011
This is a time bomb and if not properly managed,it will divide us further apart in this country.

The fact is that all public schools in Osun state are owned by government and the policies of such schools is being determined by the Ministry of Education I believe. Therefore there would be a standard dress code as stipulated in the policy of the ministry. If the policy says it is pinafore and shirt or skirt and shirt, and scarf or hijab are not included in the policy, I strongly believe such student is contravening the policy of the govt no matter the religion. The best the Muslim community can do is to get the govt to change the policy by including scarfs hijabs as part of the dress code in public schools because of their wards and believes. Accepting such dressings such as hijab without changing the policy is adding to the policy unofficially and which is wrong.

This is where the problem lies, if Such Muslim students are given such rights, the if a child also has the right to put palm fronds on it's head to school, the masquerade worshiping child also has the right to say u must respect my belief and every Wednesday I will be putting on my masquerade uniform to school and santo worshipping child can even be putting cowries on his or her uniform to school. How will our bastardised public school now look like.

I strongly believe, Muslims should take their children to AUD grammar schools, NUD High School, Muslim Community Secondary School etc and leave the all the Saints and Methodist and catholic and anglicans and baptist schools for the croaks and the children that will not add or subtract to govt policy.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2011
reloboy:

I don't know the problem of all these christians, I don't see anything wrong in a student putting on Hijab to the school afterall it is necessary 4  every muslim female to cover their head in other to protect their beauty although the name of the school is methodi,  Or whatever but it is still a government school so leave we muslims alone and let us pratice our religion <ISLAM>,  
dammytosh:

Na wa for the way we think in this country.  What mark will HIJAB add to Waec, Neco or JAMB Scores. Bunch of slow people.
You too much joor. Then if a native doctors son decides to come to school with the full regalia they should also allow him. The guy above is talking of protecting beauty. Why dont you lock them away in the house 247? Funny thing is when you see them in that masquerade,u'd think they are more virgin than virginity,for where?? They are soooo spoilt!!
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by imek26: 12:18pm On Nov 18, 2011
Ihengote:

[b][/b]

I am not out of my senses the school is a public school controlled by the state government ask people living in the state and i don't know when protest = violence. And you are really displaying how peaceful you are.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by gidiMonsta(m): 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2011
y do u pple jst turn on ur bigotry whenever u hear d word islam or muslims?

1. There was no reported case of violence; it was a peaceful protest!

2. The schools in question are public schools (even if they have missionary names)

3. Why should a school have a minor arrested for dressing like a muslim? nobody is questioning such extreme bigotry which leads to disillusionment and eventually breakdown in law and order.

4. There is no law in Nigeria that says a student cannot use hijab to school (prove me wrong).

The principal that got the student arrested should be sued to serve as a deterrence to extremist xtians who incites unnecessary confusion and mayhem with their myopic bigotry.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by mekaboy(m): 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2011
 BEFORE WE START TO BLAME MUSLIMS OR CHRISTIANS , WE SHOULD ASK WHAT IS " UNIFORM " ?  FROM MY UNDERSTANDING A SCHOOL UNIFORM MEANS THAT EVERY STUDENT OF THAT SCHOOL SHOULD LOOK IDENTICAL. THEY SHOULD ALL ABIDE BY THE DRESS CODE AND LOOK ALIKE, NOBODY SHOULD LOOK DIFFERENT AS LOOK AS THE WORD " UNIFORM " IS INVOLVED.

WHEN THE MUSLIM STUDENTS DECIDE TO WEAR HAJIB THEN THEY ARE NO LONGER IN UNIFORMITY , HENCE BREAKING THE SCHOOLS DRESS CODE.

SO FROM THIS, I BELIEVE THE MUSLIMS ARE WRONG TO INSIST ON THAT, AFTER ALL THEY WERE NOT WEARING IT YEARS BACK WHY THE SUDDEN DEMAND NOW? IS BOKO HARAM USING THEM AS A TOOL TO ENTER OSUN STATE ?
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ss007: 12:36pm On Nov 18, 2011
I just can't comprehend why some people don't see beyond their nose. Muslim wants to wear Hijab as commanded by their religion but some unenlightened Xtians are saying no. Even in the western hemisphere, Muslim students do wear Hijab why it wouldn't be so in Nigeria? If Nigerian Xtian have decided to abandon their religion why must they force Muslim to do same? Check all the so-called pictures of Mary, is she dressed in a shortest skirt and body hug top with head uncovered? Mtssss grin angry sad embarassed
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by airmark(m): 12:41pm On Nov 18, 2011
superstar1:

This is a time bomb and if not properly managed,it will divide us further apart in this country.

This is where the problem lies, if Such Muslim students are given such rights, the if a child also has the right to put palm fronds on it's head to school, the masquerade worshiping child also has the right to say u must respect my belief and every Wednesday I will be putting on my masquerade uniform to school and santo worshipping child can even be putting cowries on his or her uniform to school. How will our bastardised public school now look like.

You copied exactly what was on my mind. cheers cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by sojimade(m): 12:49pm On Nov 18, 2011
i see no reason why this hijab should not be allowed. Freedom of religion is part of you constitutional right.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by gidiMonsta(m): 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2011
These people sef. No matter how i try to see them in positive light,it just aint working. Dont know why they are always this troublesome. Religious tolerance? They dont even know what it is! We are talking about a handful of muslim students in a mostly christian state and they want to impose their crap on everyone. Jeez. These guys would never accept any thing christian in their muslim schools yet when they are allowed by christians to study with them,they keep bringing up one trouble or the other. Damn. Someone is talking of morals. I dont want to tell you what those girls do in the closet! Well,if the government decides that they should be allowed then fine. But must they be this rebellious?

Who says Osun state is a mostly xtian state (I laff in hebrew); Osun state is predominantly muslim (I am a native of Osun so i very much know what i'm talking abt) and Iwo town in particular has d highest ratio of Muslim/xtian population in d whole of d south (excluding Ilorin).

Nobody is imposing anything on u dude, its okay for ur preachers to disturb my door to distribute bibles and preach d word of ur god early momo but not okay for our own kids to cover their hair to school?

hell, if an Ifa worshiper wants to wear an ileke around his neck to school nobody has d right to stop him. Last time I checked the colonial era when you force people to abandon their religion for education is over! Wake up u smelly, no good bigots, mschwwwwwww
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by eprincipal: 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2011
The point is these moslems who are just protesting now knew what the uniform for the school was before they enrolled their children in the school. This is what I always find baffling in these religious conflicts. As a parent, before I enrol my child in a school, I want to find out what is allowed and what is not allowed in such schools. And I know some moslem parents do this ditto for some Christiano parents. It is only lazy, mischievous and troublesome parents who do not. Such are usually the first to ask to be allowed to do some things that are not in the initial agreement.
As for those who said students in the UK are allowed to wear anything, it did not come by violence. There were court cases and not all requests were granted. Some were allowed while some were denied.
Finally, it is because moslems are prone to violence that they always make issues out of anything. Were they to be a Christians, I bet they will simply move their children to other schools. It is simply because the Bible and our pastors teach us not to be violent.  The Christian will rather suffer a denial of his right than take up arms or employ violence to solve it.
Finally, issues like this point to why moslems should be more interested in establishing schools of their own. Someone said teh school in question is a public school. Yes I agree but originally it was a Christian school forcefully taken over by the government without any compensation to the original owners - the Methodist Church. If anyone should be fighting today, it is the Christians whose school was taken over so that moslems who did not establish any school of their own can have a place to send their children. But Christians will never fight because a Christian who employs violence to gain what he believes is his right has forfeited the right to heaven - That is the Bible not my opinion!

PS: The Principal of the school called in the Police when the students turned up in hijab. She did the right thing. She invited law enforcement officers!. Now the Principal acted in official capacity. What the Moslem Community in Iwo ought to do is take up the issue with the Government of the State or seek Judicial intervention. If the state government directs the Principal and other principals to allow students with hijab into the school, they will be allowed in. But if not, the principal who allows them into the school without government approval will be sanctioned.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by icez: 1:02pm On Nov 18, 2011
So many peeps just registered to defend a violent religion.

The same peeps who defend BKH.

I am not surprised.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by goggs(m): 1:09pm On Nov 18, 2011
I think the Muslims in Osun are over reacting.

As someone mentioned before, the girl must have been attending school prior to now, if so why the Hijab all of a sudden? the school must have a uniform policy, if her parents wanted her covered from head to toe then Ansarudeen schools abound!

Seriously, to say hijab is her right doesn't mean she must impose it on the school without waiting for a formal policy review on this. She should look for a place where her rights are respected if she is in a hurry and cant wait for due process.

If truly the Baptist High School is a government school (in which she deserves to be educated as a tax payer) her parents could form a pressure group to have the Hijab recognised as part of the school uniform and then due process will be followed without rancour. For her to just wake up one day and put on the Hijab to school is an affront to the rule of law and order.  I must also condemn the act of the teacher in beating the student. I expected her to report to the school authorities to invite the parents and state the school rules.

Those saying she has a right must recognise that her rights must be respected within the ambit of the law. Her showing up like that is clear insubordination. there is a process to introduce this Hijab thing in a civilised way that would not have lead to this violence. what if a son of a High Priest of Sango turns up at school with animal skin for a uniform, how would the same protesters behave? They would probably call for his head!

On a final note, People should remember that in predominantly Muslim states like Sokoto even non Muslims are forced to cover their heads (children and teachers) in schools even though there are non Muslim indigienes. I am sorry to say that some people love to stroke controversy even when there shouldn't. Its unfortunate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Whi / University Of Ibadan, Post Graduate Admission Forms / Project Topics And Materials In International Relations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.