Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,234 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? (40000 Views)

Reno Omokri: Avoid Your School Alumni Whatsapp Forum If You Are Wealthy / Bowen University Creates New Portal For Revalidation Of Alumni Data / Katsina Govt Bans Whatsapp Groups In Schools & Prohibits Facebook Among Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by CaptainFM1: 1:04pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

In my Secondary School and University WhatsApp groups,
I hardly Comment or make contributions. sad

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

They are nothing but associations of gossipers. Unless you're Daddy Freeze like, don't bother to join them.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by BareFacedLies(m): 1:04pm On Apr 17
EreluRoz:
I don't do those group wareva for personal reasons.

That's because you don't want them to be checking out the size of your nyash via your WhatsApp profile pics grin
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by PeterObi4LP: 1:04pm On Apr 17
My secondary school Alumni is the best. I don't make contributions and only voice out when the need arise. But this guy's attend and contribute money for any burial, marriage, wedding, sick member, child dedication, monthly dues, get together, and contributions for the school projects. This is the kind of group I want to belong sincere and hardworking group.

Mind you, 80% of us are married, some of us stays abroad, some self employed and working.

But you see my university Alumni, is a waste of time because they mostly post advert and don't do any of the above mentioned.

7 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Whalis: 1:04pm On Apr 17
janedonez:

True, especially those University groups where there was no sincere cohesion and bonding during school days, whatever they are doing now is just a waste of time because those negative perception will still be in the minds of many amongst them. Everyone should jut FAC themselves or mini groups that trey share Same ideologies together
God bless you. I only belong to my secondary school mates. These are my true friends. If there was 'expo' the whole class would know and everyone would share.
In the university you see people who call you their friends but don't want a good grade for you. What am I associating with you now for?
Some of them even needs your financial assistance when they realize it is not all about good grades in school.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 1:06pm On Apr 17
winner37:

You are right , it was last year I spoke with few of my guys they open WhatsApp group started added member all of a sudden billing and self-exaltation started popping in because some had the opportunity to go to universities while others could not ,funeral announcement, birthday and wedding donation was all they know for me i diligently withdraw myself to avoid issues ..

Some people are only there for selfish interest ...

Some Whatsapp Admins actually EMBEZZLE those funds contributed. embarassed undecided

Na their Office be that. They do NOT have any Paid Job in their normal lives. sad

Some of them Might be Right here on this Thread. 😌😌

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Jeezuzpick(m): 1:06pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

Someone had a medical emergency.

He was unconscious in his room.

Neighbours found him, rushed him to hospital. They took his phone and started calling his contacts. None of his contacts responded with any action, till they called a secondary school mate of his

Now he's been put in a big hospital, a carer assigned to him, fully paid for, getting the attention he needs.

All paid for by his school mates.

Nothing from his family yet.

I hope you can see why I cannot agree with you.

This is not a made-up story. My old friend is still in hospital as we speak, and one of us left his home state to go take care of him.

I hope he pulls through. My heart and prayers are with him.

That it's a waste of time for you doesn't mean it is for everyone.

16 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by EmmyMaestro(m): 1:07pm On Apr 17
Lalami3232:
Na person wey no get money to buy beer na say E dey bitter

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Na person wey no get money to buy mattress go say " I no like mattress, i prefer to sleep on top tiles, i like as e de cold for my body cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by ghettochild(m): 1:07pm On Apr 17
janedonez:

True, especially those University groups where there was no sincere cohesion and bonding during school days, whatever they are doing now is just a waste of time because those negative perception will still be in the minds of many amongst them. Everyone should jut FAC themselves or mini groups that trey share Same ideologies together
I know two colleagues who refused to join our alumni WhatsApp group..
because they felt back then the intellectual ones where the one people liked or got close to... cos they ended up been closer to their roomies or guys in their hostel.
one time in 2017, one of dem became a doctor in the US and said he was inviting me to his grad n then mentioned those first class student in class...saying where are they now?.
I had to tell him to stop saying those childish words.....
cos for some... it's all about competition.
so he shd let go of those things...

4 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by kingthreat(m): 1:08pm On Apr 17
Some shameless criminals have turned alumni WhatsApp groups to scam their ex-colleagues.
One idiot scammed our set of over 1.5M lying about his medical issues. Someone who decided to track him saw that he was not sick but was using the money on women and booze.
Please if any of your ex-schoolmates asks for medical help, go and verify first.

5 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by EhisChelsea1(m): 1:08pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

It depends on the Alumni sha. My own secondary school alumni is not a waste of time. I had this mindset before until I joined and became active. That Alumni group

Many persons have been helped through that alumni group. The Global body of the alumni recently raised 5million to offset the medical bill of one of our branch members. Within the last 2 years, over 2billion naira have been raised to give the school a better and more conducive learning atmosphere

Members are patronized and those that need help are reached out to. A senior member recently discovered I was doing a program and sent me 500k as support. I have never met him in person. He left school before I entered. Our only point of meeting for now is the alumni group where we often argue politics, and other contemporary issues….

Many opportunities abound in these groups.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by iHart(m): 1:09pm On Apr 17

4 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by payaseriy: 1:09pm On Apr 17
I was very aggressive in my days in university. A natural traits that i hate myself for. I am a very aggressive person that easily get pissed off.

After university, i changed my sim card one morning because my mind was telling me "fuk everybody "

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by bong4(m): 1:09pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

Well, that could say a lot about the personalities in the group but for my own school class Whatsapp group, we have monthly health, business and career seminars; end of the month prayer session (1 hour), formed and registered a functional cooperative, almost done with the modalities of opening a life insurance scheme for members. All these besides the usual banters and other donations to our alma mater and for members' events.
There are so many things a class whatsapp group can serve its members if they are open and down to earth.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Emmanuel30a: 1:10pm On Apr 17
PeterObi4LP:
My secondary school Alumni is the best. I don't make contributions and only voice out when the need arise. But this guy's attend and contribute money for any burial, marriage, wedding, sick member, child dedication, monthly dues, get together, and contributions for the school projects. This is the kind of group I want to belong sincere and hardworking group.

Mind you, 80% of us are married, some of us stays abroad, some self employed and working.

But you see my university Alumni, is a waste of time because they mostly post advert and don't do any of the above mentioned.
Abroad, I can breaks ur spinal cord or makes it broad... Gives me money 2 buy ford or honda accord... Give me what u can afford, even if its usb cord...Else I wud breaks ur cord&spinal cord/ur cord like spinal cord...Is dat odd/wud dat be odd...? D odd?Or u wants 2 tells me I AM NOT GOD...?I AM NOT GOD?, WHEN AM I D SON OF GOD...?It's odd 2 say I am not god, WHEN I AM D SON OF GOD
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 1:10pm On Apr 17
kingthreat:

Some shameless criminals have turned alumni WhatsApp groups to scam their ex-colleagues.
One idiot scammed our set of over 1.5M lying about his medical issues. Someone who decided to track him saw that he was not sick but was using the money on women and booze.
Please if any of your ex-schoolmates asks for medical help, go and verify first.

Thank you, Brotherly!

Some Whatsapp Admins are Silent CROOKS. undecided

They Use those Proceeds from Donations to Flex themselves Jejely. smiley cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by bigiyaro(m): 1:11pm On Apr 17
Sapasenator:
My alumni, they are only interested in contributing money for birthdays and burial ceremonies.

We are never good at harnessing the power of a group to achieve great success or solve a problem.
omo, burial contribution na real problem solving, especially if you are from the south and not a multi millionaire.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by winner37(m): 1:12pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

Some Whatsapp Admins actually EMBEZZLE those funds contributed. embarassed undecided

Na their Office be that. They do NOT have any Paid Job in their normal lives. sad

Some of them Might be Right here on this Thread. 😌😌

Yeah ,I have one of them and he will call himself a pastor .

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by osuolale95(m): 1:13pm On Apr 17
I gave up on anything alumni the day I was in serious trouble and I wrote to my university global assembly not just departmental or faulty alumni this time around, the university alumni cause I do attend some of the assembly and lectures. The last one was help February ending in Delta state which I attended. I wrote to them seeking financial assistance.

The secretary is just reading my messages with no response. And I move on

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Kingzmate(m): 1:15pm On Apr 17
IF YOU NO LIKE AM, CALL THE POLICE cool

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by MT: 1:17pm On Apr 17
Kcfresh2103:
grin how to leave the group is my major problem now. I have discovered that the major reason why my group was set up is for some guys to show off. Unnecessary show off. Secondly, our head girl has factionalized the whole system. What ever she and her cacus members decide is final. I don pay money for burial tire. Those who do not have money to pay for any events are being discriminated against.

Leave in the middle of the night, when they are mostly asleep grin grin cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by johnog4sure: 1:17pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
I am in NYSC, UNi and sec sch, I have not seen anything beneficial, I am just hanging in there, when they heard I was married with kid and all that, one them said I am too secretive, I just acknowledge he is correct, to avoid shalaye...just hanging in there hoping maybe I will initiate something good soon or somebody else would.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Timoleon(m): 1:18pm On Apr 17
AngelicDamsel:
I left all school groups.

Fake love and connection, it only favours those in cliques back then in school.

Those of us that do not belong are spied at.

They just want to track your progress in life and contributions are opportunities to show off.

Meanwhile, in the next 40 years most of us will be gone, just like the picture below.
all the children died before the adults?

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Formularcr7: 1:18pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

Na that Burial ceremony dey Tire me Pass. undecided

Some even Travel Distances to such Burial ceremonies.🀨

I am always like 'So this Person does not Have a Job or Things to do with his/her Time'? πŸ€¨πŸ˜’
you mean traveling a long distance to see love ones or pay tribute is a waste of time and for jobless people? I pity you, na your type go host party and begin they beg neighbors to come eat

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Tareq1105: 1:18pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

Nevermind, since you're the only wisest time keeper among your mates in secondary school and university, when you're through with your hardworking, you would come back to your old friends finally.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 1:20pm On Apr 17
johnog4sure:
I am in NYSC, UNi and sec sch, I have not seen anything beneficial, I am just hanging in there, when they heard I was married with kid and all that, one them said I am too secretive, I just acknowledge he is correct, to avoid shalaye...just hanging in there hoping maybe I will initiate something good soon or somebody else would.

So the person expects you to be Broadcasting your Life events in the WhatsApp group? sad

Na wa for Pple! undecided
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by gabicon: 1:21pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

I think you may need to consider the purpose of some of these groups before you make a conclusion. Many of these groups are just social expressions of the good old days, that in itself is not bad, because it's a form of entertainment people happen to like.

I have been on a number of old students group and most of not all have been a total waste of time, job opportunities were not shared, business partnerships were not formed, there were very few collaboration, even networking wasnt strong. They did a few seminars, a lot of give away, quiz about the past, and plenty of hangout some cliques wars were fought.

I came to a conclusion that intentionality is key in the creation of groups, purpose has to be clearly
defined. Collaboration is not one of our forte as a people so it is difficult for us to practice it in bigger groups.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by johnog4sure: 1:21pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
Another thing is that egos are easily hurt, so everybody is cautious, plus those of us who keep very close small circle will most likely not make new friends despite

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by denko(m): 1:23pm On Apr 17
What kind of herbs
Talkisneeded:
I'm always there, but I ever text until I was chosen to be the secretary...

It was tough that year...

I sell herbs Tho
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by ukaface(f): 1:23pm On Apr 17
My secondary school page is filled with people who Dey show off, the clique of friends back then in school Dey yab other people.
Imagine being referred as β€˜ that slim quiet girl that was always following O…’ omo! E pain me, I jejely deactivate from the group, no be me Una wan use bad energy for.
That page na Yeye page. I don’t think I want to be involved with my secondary school mates.

My S.O.N page no sabi pass wishing happy birthday upandan and contributing money for person wey carry belle, or who Dey do wedding. After I don contribute finish page no come Dey functional, everybody don quiet, minding their business.
Who go come contribute for me when I marry and carry belle bayi?

4 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by sylve11: 1:23pm On Apr 17
[quote author=dkidd post=129480868]It's just an avenue to meet old friends, lovers and fuckbuddies and see if anything fun and pleasure related can come up. Heck they even set up meetings and hangouts to that effect. And some old sparks get rekindled married or not and then complications sets in. In life u get past a stage and u keep going forward no looking backwards. Especially in today's world where discipline and loyalty is outdated. I pity married men who allow their wives engage in such groups. If no be say I dey principled the married women when full my contact from these groups and those steady flooding my vision with blinding green lights for dey get am hot hot. I no like karma for that department at all so I respect myself. There's no real reason to be in such groups [/qunah!

Na so e be for London. cool

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 1:24pm On Apr 17
Formularcr7:
you mean traveling a long distance to see love ones or pay tribute is a waste of time and for jobless people? I pity you, na your type go host party and begin they beg neighbors to come eat

Travelling Distances for a Burial is simply for JOBLESS persons or Very Comfortable Persons whom PARENTS or UNCLES are Feeding. sad

A Hustler with Ambitions would not attend Burials randomly. undecided
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by johnog4sure: 1:25pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

So the person expects you to be Broadcasting your Life events in the WhatsApp group? sad

Na wa for Pple! undecided
I tire oh, me wey hate any form of showoffs, even the slightest

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIBEN Student, Osagie Bright Nosa,enhances Campus Infrastructure With Signposts / FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans / People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.