Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? (40009 Views)

Reno Omokri: Avoid Your School Alumni Whatsapp Forum If You Are Wealthy / Bowen University Creates New Portal For Revalidation Of Alumni Data / Katsina Govt Bans Whatsapp Groups In Schools & Prohibits Facebook Among Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:26pm On Apr 17
My higher institution group na so so pay pay pay pay money up and down.i never pay one naira.i no get that time

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Johnjustice: 1:27pm On Apr 17
I think a gathering of rich people always seems to be more worthwhile, so it depends on the members of the Alma matter...with the right bunch, great things happen.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by sylve11: 1:27pm On Apr 17
Formularcr7:
you mean traveling a long distance to see love ones or pay tribute is a waste of time and for jobless people? I pity you, na your type go host party and begin they beg neighbors to come eat

Person like me, i do not care if you attend my party or not.

I only contribute to my Alumni groups when it gets to do with health and wellness.
cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 1:27pm On Apr 17
ukaface:

My secondary school page is filled with people who Dey show off, the clique of friends back then in school Dey yab other people.
Imagine being referred as β€˜ that slim quiet girl that was always following O…’ omo! E pain me, I jejely deactivate from the group, no be me Una wan use bad energy for.
That page na Yeye page. I don’t think I want to be involved with my secondary school mates.

My S.O.N page no sabi pass wishing happy birthday upandan and contributing money for person wey carry belle, or who Dey do wedding. After I don contribute finish page no come Dey functional, everybody don quiet, minding their business.
Who go come contribute for me when I marry and carry belle bayi?

Lols.πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚

Honestly, most Discussions in University or Sec. School WhatsApp groups are hardly Meaningful.πŸ˜•
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by sylve11: 1:27pm On Apr 17
Johnjustice:
I think a gathering of rich people always seems to be more worthwhile, so it depends on the members of the Alma matter...with the right bunch, great things happen.

I πŸ‘ cool
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by gabbytabby: 1:29pm On Apr 17
While I was abroad I was so busy but when i returned to Nigeria I was so excited and planning to meet up even. On joining I quickly realised that we were not in the same head space and there was the show off and those who think only them should run the show and Mugu should just contribute and shut up.

Those who want to do gang up wey them no succeed at 15 but think they can at 50 I just Sidon look them for a couple of years.

We even contribute for project for secondary school for 40 years alumni bungalow na so them give project to one of their husbands and I tried to introduce them to Spyder for Nairaland see as them go to war with me trying to dare to suggest another option to explore.

Nigeria happened to the project as 6 years later they tried to give a convoluted update and request for more money for a project that should have been completed in 6 months.

When I returned abroad I left the group cos they were getting too passionate about Nig politics at the time and I need to face serious business but still contribute if they set up friends of xyz usually for burial.

My university one is chill no stress and I am still part of that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by johnog4sure: 1:30pm On Apr 17
dkidd:
It's just an avenue to meet old friends, lovers and fuckbuddies and see if anything fun and pleasure related can come up. Heck they even set up meetings and hangouts to that effect. And some old sparks get rekindled married or not and then complications sets in. In life u get past a stage and u keep going forward no looking backwards. Especially in today's world where discipline and loyalty is outdated. I pity married men who allow their wives engage in such groups. If no be say I dey principled the married women when full my contact from these groups and those steady flooding my vision with blinding green lights for dey get am hot hot. I no like karma for that department at all so I respect myself. There's no real reason to be in such groups
God bless u, na so my wife ask for permission to join one that they were inviting her, I vehemently said no, she said why? I said because its fuckiing group, she said what of me that I belong, I told her she is lucky she married a morally upright person, if not...plus honestly sleeping with a married woman even without any karma, its nothing special or rewarding so why do it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 1:31pm On Apr 17
Aaaaarghmed:
My higher institution group na so so pay pay pay pay money up and down.i never pay one naira.i no get that time

Lols,

If you want to give, Just Check what the Donation are Actually for.

Otherwise, Dem go use your Money take go Flex Barbeque and Cold Origin, on Weekends. cool cheesy
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by oliverano: 1:31pm On Apr 17
Timoleon:
all the children died before the adults?

No, more like some children couldn't afford necessary education to back for the reunion, some went to prison, some died at a young age and may be only one was educated and came back for the reunion pics

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Eraddray(m): 1:33pm On Apr 17
Trust me, if have gone through school like Abeokuta grammar school, u won't joke the those groups... They are always ready to support you

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Killermamba: 1:33pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

In my Secondary School and University WhatsApp groups,
I hardly Comment or make contributions. sad

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
I nor dey comment for our own na just show off and also na so so burial dem dey donate money for.
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Komu1048(m): 1:34pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

Bros don't talk like that, im alive today its cox of God and support from my secondary school mate.

I was diagnosed of cancer of the stomach. I didn't know in time n was treating ulcer. When I knew I've lost strength n weight. I couldn't work n have to depend on people. I took blood a lot of times n most cost me between 250- 150k on 3 occasions before my surgery. When surgery date came I'm left with 150k n was told I will be return to the ward if I can't raise about 400k needed for surgery n other medications. I have no choice than to seek support from our alumni WhatsApp group. Within 8hrs they have raise over 315k for me. And we r not even up to 15 in that group ooo.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Alsenora: 1:38pm On Apr 17
God bless you bro. I similarly belong to one and hardly ever comment but would never view or describe my peers who do as jobless. Life shouod never be viewed only in someone's perspective.
Sheuns:
You that have a job, I want to believe you work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 30/31 days a month, 365/366 days a year.

It’s childish to think that because people talk about trends on your group means they’re jobless or you that don’t talk is more busy than some of them there.

I am on several group chats of old school friends, I barely say anything cos I don’t have what to say or just contribute to discussions that are important. It’s not that I’m the busiest person or those that discuss are jobless.

My secondary school Alunmi group is very useful and helpful to me. I remember a few weeks ago my younger brother's phone was stolen at gun point, I had to call the guy that added me to the group to ask if he knows anyone that works in the bank my brother banks with. He got me a contact in less than 3 minutes and the contact successfully helped me put the account on PND. This was around 10pm at night.

Several other connections are there to be made and used.

5 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by adioolayi(m): 1:41pm On Apr 17
Sapasenator:
My alumni, they are only interested in contributing money for birthdays and burial ceremonies.

We are never good at harnessing the power of a group to achieve great success or solve a problem.

Have you ever taken up this charge before
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by dalass(f): 1:41pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

I absolutely love my alumni WhatsApp group. I was like you, hardly commenting or participating. But I realize they're absolutely necessary. You're a typical introvert and antisocial grin

We are all about giving back to our alma mater and taking care of the sick and indigents that were our colleagues at school.

There were people like you who told one of our excos that alumni was for those who didn't have jobs. That bigmouth was one of the indigents that we gave money to grin

She's now joining others and many are seeking to join us every day because of the great impact we are making. We enjoy our doings just like we did back at secondary school.

Change your mindset and try other means

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by hardon1(m): 1:41pm On Apr 17
uuzba:

They that are not broke, why don't they use the group chat avenue to help the broke people?

They use o. My secondary school alumni group raised up to 5ook during the burial of someone. The family was surprised

Alumni groups in my opinion are ok. Some rich class mates must surely show themselves to intimidate but you just have to ignore them. Do that little you can.

During free will donation, make the contribution you can, attend occasions you can. The intimidation can sometimes drive you crazy sha o especially bit you were academically bright back then... bit just do what you know you can and relax

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by travelzcruix: 1:44pm On Apr 17
After one of my so called Best friend and coursemate ran with my 2m right after graduation which was meant for a business transaction, I did not only delete the WhatsApp group, I sold it to black market.

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Segzy19: 1:47pm On Apr 17
That's you...
It's not compulsory that one must be a member of old school alumni.
Old school alumni is just an association in which human beings relate and associate. Whether old school alumni or not, we all need some form of association which is left for you to decide.

It may be religious, business, community, professional/trade, social/club or even PTA...

Association is good but then you define your choice

Yours may not be your school alumni but could be something else, maybe professional or religious or even social (Lions, Rotary, sportsclub etc)

Choices....

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Timoleon(m): 1:48pm On Apr 17
oliverano:

No, more like some children couldn't afford necessary education to back for the reunion, some went to prison, some died at a young age and may be only one was educated and came back for the reunion pics

Ok
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Heavance(m): 1:48pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

What kind of school did you even attend in the first place?
What kind of school?
Even the former president (Obasanjo) was so happy and in his assembly hall mood when he saw his buddies.
Many of us have a big relationship with our former classmates.
UCL game day alone is something else.
And there are various activities we do, and end of year party is always so big.. Anyone abroad hustle to join the link.
So what kind of school did you really attend?

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by gtassure: 1:51pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

Introvert Maybe,
Anti-Social, NO! smiley

Seriously, Most discussions in Alumni Whatsapp Groups are Merry-go-round, MEANINGLESS topics. undecided

Peter My Man, how you dey, Magdalene our Chairlady, How far, etc. sad

You CAN'T use it to compare Nairaland as someone here has attempted to do. undecided
That's what been social is all about!

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Tenshades(m): 1:52pm On Apr 17
dkidd:
It's just an avenue to meet old friends, lovers and fuckbuddies and see if anything fun and pleasure related can come up. Heck they even set up meetings and hangouts to that effect. And some old sparks get rekindled married or not and then complications sets in. In life u get past a stage and u keep going forward no looking backwards. Especially in today's world where discipline and loyalty is outdated. I pity married men who allow their wives engage in such groups. If no be say I dey principled the married women when full my contact from these groups and those steady flooding my vision with blinding green lights for dey get am hot hot. I no like karma for that department at all so I respect myself. There's no real reason to be in such groups

Na man you be.

Some unprincipled men go allow their konji to cloud their senses and see such blinding green light as ''opportunity''.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Obierika(m): 1:56pm On Apr 17
osuolale95:
I gave up on anything alumni the day I was in serious trouble and I wrote to my university global assembly not just departmental or faulty alumni this time around, the university alumni cause I do attend some of the assembly and lectures. The last one was help February ending in Delta state which I attended. I wrote to them seeking financial assistance.

The secretary is just reading my messages with no response. And I move on

Have you ever made any contribution towards solving the problem of others?

If you have never done so and you're expecting others to contribute for you then you're just fooling yourself

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Obierika(m): 1:58pm On Apr 17
Emmanuel30a:
Abroad, I can breaks ur spinal cord or makes it broad... Gives me money 2 buy ford or honda accord... Give me what u can afford, even if its usb cord...Else I wud breaks ur cord&spinal cord/ur cord like spinal cord...Is dat odd/wud dat be odd...? D odd?Or u wants 2 tells me I AM NOT GOD...?I AM NOT GOD?, WHEN AM I D SON OF GOD...?It's odd 2 say I am not god, WHEN I AM D SON OF GOD

Na wetin this person dey talk sef? Are you sure you're commenting on the right thread?

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Lexusgs430: 2:00pm On Apr 17
It simply a group of people, attempting to leach on the more successful group members.......

Almost blaming the successful one's, for their woes....... 😁🀣

4 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by TheAdvocate(m): 2:00pm On Apr 17
Be active on these platforms for the sake of the future. I heard a testimony of a man who gave his Msc classmates N1 million each.
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by abobote: 2:02pm On Apr 17
This thread is timely, cos my school mates added me yesterday. They created it cos one of our course mates had accident, and one of his hands amputated, hence they want us to donate for him.
I haven't responded though, but I will just make the donation before the deadline

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Shikena(m): 2:02pm On Apr 17
From their posts & actions, lots of my secondary school group members somehow assume being in the same classrooms as underage kids several years ago makes us close friends with higher priority than our immediate family. It's all manipulation.

My university classmates are way more professional and project-focused.

Like everything, the groups come with the good, the bad, and the ugly with more entitlement mentality noticed at the lower level.

If you so wish, then join with open mind. Be ready to give when you feel like, be good at saying NO without feeling guilty, and banish any entitlement mindset. You will be fine.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 2:07pm On Apr 17
Heavance:

What kind of school did you even attend in the first place?
What kind of school?
Even the former president (Obasanjo) was so happy and in his assembly hall mood when he saw his buddies.
Many of us have a big relationship with our former classmates.
UCL game day alone is something else.
And there are various activities we do, and end of year party is always so big.. Anyone abroad hustle to join the link.
So what kind of school did you really attend?

Physical meetings and Online meetings are TWO Different things, Sir! πŸ˜πŸ˜•
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by ukaface(f): 2:07pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

Lols.πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚

Honestly, most Discussions in University or Sec. School WhatsApp groups are hardly Meaningful.πŸ˜•
Exactly
Never meaningful

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Emmanuel30a: 2:10pm On Apr 17
Obierika:

Na wetin this person dey talk sef? Are you sure you're commenting on the right thread?
Obierika my guy, find me something make I chop... Don't be shy, I know that you don't wants to cry cry cry out to nowhere...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIBEN Student, Osagie Bright Nosa,enhances Campus Infrastructure With Signposts / FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans / People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.