Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? (40020 Views)

Reno Omokri: Avoid Your School Alumni Whatsapp Forum If You Are Wealthy / Bowen University Creates New Portal For Revalidation Of Alumni Data / Katsina Govt Bans Whatsapp Groups In Schools & Prohibits Facebook Among Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Caramia2020(m): 3:43pm On Apr 17
Obierika:

So you're still beefing people over things that happened over 20 years agao when you were in school?! shocked
I don't beef anyone neither do I hold grudges because no one offended me while in school, I'm only stating the obvious because humans are good at pretending but I don't buy such. In a group where a supposed family start picking on each other over little argument made me lose interest because I was surprised y they were battering each other.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by chyzoo4u(m): 3:51pm On Apr 17
dkidd:

It's actually for jobless, unproductive and less busy people

It's actually for people that can manage their time and meet each and every responsibility. I coordinate my alumni WhatsApp group, I have a family, work for a company in the UK, co-own a company based in Abuja, manage school portals, and still teach professional IT courses.

3 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by kay29000(m): 3:54pm On Apr 17
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Op my guy,the truth is that I used to be like you.......I used to see my former classmates as 'Carry-body' type of people because of one or two of them that were always fond of boasting of their achievements in life......I even remember when one of them once said and I quote --"That those people who were taking the first and second positions in class back then can't stand and talk in the same podium where they who were known as the olodos of our class now speak'. He was clearly throwing tantrums at me and I could sense it......That was when I realized it was high time I left the group for them....

Las las,I was added back grin

Now fast forward to last two weeks,one of the greatest help and assistance I've had in my life came from that particular group...I was indeed shocked cheesy

I feel you 100%. I have benefited a lot from my secondary school (floreat) alumni a lot. Even when I was hospitalized, the guy that I once got into serious beef with was one of the people who volunteered to donate blood for me in the hospital.

I have to say though, the same can't be said of the university alumni group...there is no bond like that. I had to exit that one.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by faceland: 3:56pm On Apr 17
Glister:

I'm.sorry but you are the dumb and dumber here..Why not get out of the group if u hv no contribution to their society.Groups like that has helped many businesses netowrking concepts rekindle old and lost friendships, even helped people to get jobs..id they are not doing that you introfice sonething..thats how rich folks stay rich ,they hv something new to contribute.

I have never stayed for 24 hours... At one point, I had to contact the admin (an Engineer) and told him I don't want to join (since some were adding me). Being an educated man, he respected my wishes.

The group just fill my phone memory with messages and memes. You would see a poor and lazy man that survive on begging getting married because he is bombarded with images of people's wedding. At his age, he is falling for peer pressure. Pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by femi4: 3:56pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

In my Secondary School and University WhatsApp groups,
I hardly Comment or make contributions. sad

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.
In your old age or when you fall sick or looking for business or plugs, you will know the significance of the group.
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by kay29000(m): 3:57pm On Apr 17
Kcfresh2103:
grin how to leave the group is my major problem now. I have discovered that the major reason why my group was set up is for some guys to show off. Unnecessary show off. Secondly, our head girl has factionalized the whole system. What ever she and her cacus members decide is final. I don pay money for burial tire. Those who do not have money to pay for any events are being discriminated against.

Wait, burial of your former classmates, or burial of their parents?

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by BigBizzy(m): 3:59pm On Apr 17
You wey get job...where the job don carry you reach?
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Dada4me: 4:01pm On Apr 17
If e no pay u, leave am. Others don benefit wella from the group.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by NothingDoMe: 4:13pm On Apr 17
EreluRoz:
I don't do those group wareva for personal reasons.
You feel judged.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by theamazonguru(m): 4:13pm On Apr 17
femtex007:
Some are there to claim level and monitor others progress

Exactly why I left my Secondary Alumni.
The monitoring thing.
The show off.
The oppression too much.

Even people wey no even get reach me self, go dey try dey shake their small yansh.

Na so I just exit the group.
Make Dem dey oppress themselves.
I no fit shout.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by 7upnigeria: 4:15pm On Apr 17
Lalami3232:
Na person wey no get money to buy beer na say E dey bitter

Vawulence dey your blood☹☹☹

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by sulakishop(m): 4:39pm On Apr 17
Major source of paternity fraud. Old flames does got rekindled

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by osuolale95(m): 4:43pm On Apr 17
Obierika:

Have you ever made any contribution towards solving the problem of others?

If you have never done so and you're expecting others to contribute for you then you're just fooling yourself

I am a cheerful giver, and I was out of options when I write to them. I do believe everyone is with their own problems, but I think this is a very standard organization that I attended the program time to time. Not trying to feel entitled, I was just out of options

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:43pm On Apr 17
Although, I am like that; I never comment or make contributions. In fact I don’t even go through their posts or comments. Sometimes I get about 2000 unread messages on several WhatsApp groups platform.

I can’t really say if it’s because I am too busy or am unsociable. But I think I am unsociable.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Joy2dworldxyz: 4:45pm On Apr 17
Talkisneeded:
I'm always there, but I ever text until I was chosen to be the secretary...

It was tough that year...

I sell herbs Tho

And you took herbs to the alumni meeting.
Na wa o

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by achimendy(m): 5:01pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

I see them online talking about social media trends, Our School days, Visitations,etc and I always Wonder 'Do these Pple have Jobs and ambitions?'.

I talked to a Friend of mine About this and he said 'I am Anti-Social or an Introvert'. embarassed

But Really, I see those Alumni WhatsApp Groups as an Organization of Time Wasters. undecided

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

Talking about old times in school is a normal thing, you just can't avoid that. We also talk about each other's business and job, and also try to see how we can connect and also help each other. We also extend help to each other, like for burials and other important stuff, not Birthday o. They celebrate each other's birthday, motivate each other, and also crack jokes. I don't comment on any other stuff aside this.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by IceColdVeins(m): 5:03pm On Apr 17
Good day chief!!

I have some questions about embedded systems, can I PM you sir?
tollyboy5:
As graduate I deleted the group soft
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by tollyboy5(m): 5:14pm On Apr 17
IceColdVeins:
Good day chief!!

I have some questions about embedded systems, can I PM you sir?
Just ask the questions on my mention I go reply.
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Father4all: 5:19pm On Apr 17
They only want to know who is doing well

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by baybiemee: 5:39pm On Apr 17
Kcfresh2103:
grin how to leave the group is my major problem now. I have discovered that the major reason why my group was set up is for some guys to show off. Unnecessary show off. Secondly, our head girl has factionalized the whole system. What ever she and her cacus members decide is final. I don pay money for burial tire. Those who do not have money to pay for any events are being discriminated against.

Just exit group for midnight. That was how I left mine. They call tire. Another lady that left none one even noticed her absence.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by femtex007(m): 5:50pm On Apr 17
theamazonguru:

Exactly why I left my Secondary Alumni.
The monitoring thing.
The show off.
The oppression too much.

Even people wey no even get reach me self, go dey try dey shake their small yansh.

Na so I just exit the group.
Make Dem dey oppress themselves.
I no fit shout.
Na so

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Abee79(m): 5:55pm On Apr 17
My Uni alumni group are the best. I've received great assistance from there. The networking (across the globe) is amazing! One call and almost everyone is ready to help.

But you see that my stvpid secondary school group? Small thing na fight, abuse, malice & envy. There are too many people with low self esteem. I prefer to maintain personal relationships with just a handful of correct people. The rest can go fvck themselves! 😁

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by kolaish(m): 6:04pm On Apr 17
immortalcrown:
It depends on your alma mater.

My secondary school alumni association donates money for sick members and for members hosting events. Those hosting events are not mandated to give the association anything. Accept the alumni's donation and serve the alumni whatever you can afford.
This is the most meaningful contribution of alumni association.

I finished secondary school in the early 80's, so my secondary school alumni association is a very strong one. We have done so many meaningful projects for our secondary school, like sinking of borehole, renovating dilapidated school building, providing textbooks for the school library, standard lockers/chairs for classrooms, donation of sport wears for the school football/volleyball team amongst other things.

In addition, we attend wedding ceremonies organized by members for their children and provided moral and financial support to each other in the areas of job employment, award of contracts. The house I built in Ibadan last year was given to an alumni member... in fact the list of help we render is endless.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by fadigalfemi(m): 6:57pm On Apr 17
I bet u dont knw the importance of building a good social support system around you and ur unborn children...if u think its a waste of time then it means all your sec mate are bunch of oloriburukus..as for me i got a job through a link shared on the alumni group...but its a choice

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Debruyne71: 7:10pm On Apr 17
Well, if you attended a unity school and was a boarder, I think secondary school groups will be loved. There is too much fake love among university class mates, because of the poor mindset of achieve alone there.

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by VinnyBaba: 7:25pm On Apr 17
Obierika:

So you're still beefing people over things that happened over 20 years agao when you were in school?! shocked

Humans Forget Many things but we NEVER forget an Insult or Actions aimed at Destroying our Self Esteem. undecided

This is Why Students can forgive a Teacher who flogged them 50 strokes of the Cane
but NEVER Forgive a Teacher who Insulted them in Class. embarassed sad
Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Phabulous4(m): 8:49pm On Apr 17
You're bitter because they didn't indulge you in an examination malpractice and waste their parents hard earn income? Side talk in an exam hall had earn some people extra year due delay by invigilator, some invigilator can even tear your script in all these public institutions. No one should resent anyone for that.

If that's the reason for your resentment towards your mate, let it go.
janedonez:

True, especially those University groups where there was no sincere cohesion and bonding during school days, whatever they are doing now is just a waste of time because those negative perception will still be in the minds of many amongst them. Everyone should just Face themselves or mini groups that they share Same ideologies together.

My Uni Class mates could best be described as evil & treacherous. The only that got us together then was the schools administration, otherwise we had nothing in common to show that love ever existed.
Some of them felt exams was their sure way to achieving their goals in life, woe betide you if on exam day you ask them anything, not as if you didn't prepare but just a little reminder you will be snubbed😎, is that the. same person you will wish to share any space with again in life? Not again

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by texazzpete(m): 9:08pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

You have 2901 posts on Nairaland, but it's those people who are conversing with their friends on Whatsapp that are 'jobless'.

The hypocrisy of many Nigerians on display here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by emmaodet: 10:36pm On Apr 17
Lalami3232:
Na person wey no get money to buy beer na say E dey bitter

grin grin

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by Psoul(m): 10:47pm On Apr 17
VinnyBaba:

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Comment.

You don't have good students from your school.
Secondly, your set are not doing well financially.
If you have good set, you'll like Alumni.

My set have paid hospital bills of some sick fellow students.
Some not doing too well have been helped to establish good businesses.
Contracts and connections have been made among us.
Recently, we helped one of our teachers settle hospital bills, get good accommodation.

2 Likes

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by tiswell(m): 11:26pm On Apr 17
Sapasenator:
My alumni, they are only interested in contributing money for birthdays and burial ceremonies.

We Nigerians, are never good at harnessing the power of a group to achieve great success or solve a problem.
you just took this from my mouth

1 Like

Re: I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? by alphaNomega: 11:28pm On Apr 17
sulakishop:
Major source of paternity fraud. Old flames does got rekindled
wetin dis one dey write?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans / People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records / Viral Tigers Living Next To SA Preschool Released Into The Wild (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.