Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,417 members, 7,850,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:14 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97859 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by manny4life(m): 3:56am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Which case would that be?

You couldn't discern for me the styles, it's not relevant at this point, anyway, I gtg to bed NOW. I've not had a good sleep since four days now and tomorrow is another work day. Argument all night with no sleep makes Manny a tired and sleepy employee tomorrow. I sure don't wanna be dozing off on my desk, Good Night yall, perhaps I will reply later, 12hrs later
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 3:58am On Nov 22, 2011
[size=16pt] Question: Wetin make Oyibo open mouth dey drool for Sunday morning?

Answer: Elegant Yoruba women going to church.

OMO, come see Oyibo paparazzi for Sunday Morning in Washington, DC.
 [/size] grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:01am On Nov 22, 2011

nnamdi azikwe was the most famous igbo man of his time to wear agbada, i think.

and i believe it was to show his multiculturalism and national nature- someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:01am On Nov 22, 2011
manny4life:

You couldn't discern for me the styles, it's not relevant at this point, anyway, I gtg to bed NOW. I've not had a good sleep since four days now and tomorrow is another work day. Argument all night with no sleep makes Manny a tired and sleepy employee tomorrow. I sure don't wanna be dozing off on my desk, Good Night yall, perhaps I will reply later, 12hrs later

Good night.
Makes me wonder why you havent slept for 4 days.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Crayola1: 4:01am On Nov 22, 2011

[img]http://thechive.files./2010/06/bp_hose_snake.gif?w=324&h=223[/img]

Well folks this was fun I'm glad I could contribute to this thread in my own way giving it the respect it deserves cool Adios muchachos and muchachas  grin

See you same time same places, goodnight and goodluck wink
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:02am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

nnamdi azikwe was the most famous igbo man of his time to wear agbada, i think.

and i believe it was to show his multiculturalism and national nature- someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Since he was pro One-Nigeria, it was best to adopt the Yoruba agbada.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:03am On Nov 22, 2011
lagcity:

[size=16pt] Question: Wetin make Oyibo open mouth dey drool for Sunday morning?

Answer: Elegant Yoruba women going to church.

OMO, come see Oyibo paparazzi for Sunday Morning in Washington, DC.
 [/size] grin grin grin grin

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 4:07am On Nov 22, 2011
I see Ileke knows what i'm talking abt. cool cool cool.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:11am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Actually, most of the wedding attires and tailoring and designs on Bella Naija were done by Lanre De Silva and other Yoruba Fashionistas. But cant really say they're Yoruba fashon because she and others are doing it for Nigerians of all tribes. But most of these fashionistas are Yorubas.

For example http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/11/02/wed-magazine-debuts-its-pinkbudget-issue-preps-for-the-wed-expo-in-2012/

Another, Segun Gele, designing new gele styles . . . . women all over the globe have been introduced to his styles.

for lagosians cus bella naija is all about lagos, lagos is not nigeria pls wake up.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 4:14am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

for lagosians cus bella naija is all about lagos, lagos is not nigeria pls wake up.

Ijawmonkey, go and sleep b4 i call u out again grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:15am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

i think the main point of the thread is if you're adopting yoruba dressing, then you have to stop hating on yorubas.

that's it in a nutshell.

btw can anyone explain what ofala ceremony is.

when did it start, where is it practiced, etc.

are the people featured in those photos of yoruba descent?
you for make sense except that yorubas have no dress for other to adopt , you still wear agbada you got from northerners.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:16am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

Lanre De Silva and the other fashinists are not located in Lagos and most of the weddings are abroad, not Lagos.  visit that fabulous website plz
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:16am On Nov 22, 2011
lagcity:

Ijawmonkey, go and sleep b4 i call u out again grin

how ironic considering the fact a lot of you look like monkeys, stop throwing punches in the air  loser
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:17am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Lanre De Silva and the other fashinists are not located in Lagos and most of the weddings are abroad, not Lagos.  visit that fabulous website plz

Which was then in turn copied from us, our style, not the Northern style.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:19am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

the more reason you should not use it as a reference for up to 200 million nigerians living in nigeria alone , think before you type next time, 99 percent of nigeria in nigeria have no idea what bella naija is talkless of who lanre whatever is
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:19am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

you for make sense except that yorubas have no dress for other to adopt , you still wear agbada you got from northerners.

There was no clear cut demarcation per se between yoruba and northerners prior to the fulani jihad,so its incorrect to say yorubas got agbadas from the north.

besides, yoruba traditionalists have their own form of clothing which looks like an agbada, so the northerners might as well have held on to the agbada style they got from yoruba.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:20am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

the more reason you should not use it as a reference for up to 200 million nigerians living in nigeria alone , think before you type next time, 99 percent of nigeria in nigeria have no idea what bella naija is talkless of who lanre whatever is

If it's abroad and also at home, it's more of a reason to use it. Shows diverse locations.
Which basically killed your Lagos is not Nigerian story.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:22am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

If it's abroad and also at home, it's more of a reason to use it. Shows diverse locations.
Which basically killed your Lagos is not Nigerian story.

this is what living in diaspora for soo many years can do to someone.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:23am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

this is what living in diaspora for soo many years can do to someone.

This is what living in Nigeria for so many years does to you?
Plz prove a point if you have any. All your points have been killed and pathetically sinked.

Alas, I am being called away. Tomorrow, ppl.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:26am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

This is what living in Nigeria for so many years does to you?
Plz prove a point if you have any. All your points have been killed and pathetically sinked.

Alas, I am being called away. Tomorrow, ppl.

delusional being at least you have learnt where agbada originated from
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:31am On Nov 22, 2011
king onyeama of eke [c 1870 - 1933]

his story here:

http://www.ikemefunaanyanechi.4t.com/whats_new.html
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 4:31am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

how ironic considering the fact a lot of you look like monkeys, stop throwing punches in the air  loser

i called you ppl monkeys becos the saying "monkey see, monkey do" applies to you ppl. you see Yorubas doing something, then u go ahead and copy it the wrong way even though we both eat the same fish protein grin. what is the problem?

make i direct you to this Ijaw link so that u can see how Ijaws are bytch1ng abt how they wanna be like Yorubas but failing at it.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/in-the-next-30-years-our-language-will-suffer-if-nothing-is-done-comrade-evah/

“The Yorubas because of their advancement in education, right from the time of Bishop Ajayi Crowther, even before the 21st Century, have structured themselves so that their language survives. Now, our own language is dying because we are not yet advanced like the Yorubas who structured their language in a way that it becomes an alternative to the English Language." - Comrade Joseph Evah, the Co-ordinator, Ijaw Monitoring Group and Publicity Secretary, Ijaw National Congress, INC,
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:34am On Nov 22, 2011
For those who wished to continue in the old ways and traveled to faraway Ilorin for oracular consultations, Onyeama imported Ilorin Muslim medicine men

huh?

travelled to ilorin for oracular consultations in the 19th or early 20th century?

seems to me like some areas must have unacknowledged yoruba genes oh.

fulani ones also.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 4:34am On Nov 22, 2011
lagcity:

i called you ppl monkeys becos the saying "monkey see, monkey do" applies to you ppl. you see Yorubas doing something, then u go ahead and copy it the wrong way even though we both eat the same fish protein grin. what is the problem?

make i direct you to this Ijaw link so that u can see how Ijaws are bytch1ng abt how they wanna be like Yorubas but failing at it.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/in-the-next-30-years-our-language-will-suffer-if-nothing-is-done-comrade-evah/

“The Yorubas because of their advancement in education, right from the time of Bishop Ajayi Crowther, even before the 21st Century, have structured themselves so that their language survives. Now, our own language is dying because we are not yet advanced like the Yorubas who structured their language in a way that it becomes an alternative to the English Language." - Comrade Joseph Evah, the Co-ordinator, Ijaw Monitoring Group and Publicity Secretary, Ijaw National Congress, INC,

your soo foolish , go to ijawland and find out if the language is dying and what they speak there , mumu.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:40am On Nov 22, 2011
nnamdi azikiwe

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 4:42am On Nov 22, 2011
They keep lying to themselves.  Some people need to travel out of their village.  So far all I keep hearing from the OP and her cohort is Yoruba modernized agbada; Yoruba agbada is different from the original creator.  The rest of us non-Yoruba cannot see the difference, the only people that have this magical ability to see the difference between sudano-sahelian agbada and Yoruba agbada is Yoruba so how does that make it your own agbada.  When asked to show us this difference so the rest of us can follow you na, it becomes a daunting task. Changing the hat or the material (debatable) used does not make it modernized.  It's the same thing.  Give the rightful owner their creation and accept you borrowed it?  Maba.  Now Its Yoruba invented gele and they are the ones who introduced SE and SS Ichiafu?  what's next? Yoruba jacket? Yoruba jean? Yoruba shirt? Yoruba skirt? Yoruba gloves?  Okay ohhh.  Yoruba invented everything even this world.  Yoruba invented Ipod, the sun, the sand and the moon.  I think they even invented the sky.   Are you people happy now?  You change one or two things and that makes it your own?  If so then I’m the creator of housing since I just renovated my own two days ago.

Abeg carry go, this back and forth argument is giving me a headache sef. Ileke-idi superiority and inferiority complex all mixed into one got no head and tail, why do it na?  This topic is worthless, abet Crayola carry on and spam this worthless thing. Ezeagu and the rest, let’s leave them with delusion.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 4:43am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

your soo foolish , go to ijawland and find out if the language is dying and what they speak there , mumu.

you're an arse hole. your elder brother and leader who's Ijaw (and also has fish protein grin) dropped some serious knowledge on you lazy Ijaws yet you're here arguing. what happened to having respect for your elders? You see, your Yorubanization isn't complete becos we are very big on respect in Odualand. But we'll work it out, your Ijaw brain must learn by force. by the time i'm done with you, you'll hate Yoruba even more. I've seen your past posts against Yoruba and i've read you like an open book. lazy man.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:49am On Nov 22, 2011
One_Naira:

They keep lying to themselves.  Some people need to travel out of their village.  So far all I keep hearing from the OP and her cohort is Yoruba modernized agbada; Yoruba agbada is different from the original creator.  The rest of us non-Yoruba cannot see the difference, the only people that have this magical ability to see the difference between sudano-sahelian agbada and Yoruba agbada is Yoruba so how does that make it your own agbada.  When asked to show us this difference so the rest of us can follow you na, it becomes a daunting task. Changing the hat or the material (debatable) used does not make it modernized.  It's the same thing.  Give the rightful owner their creation and accept you borrowed it?  Maba.  Now Its Yoruba invented gele and they are the ones who introduced SE and SS Ichiafu?  what's next? Yoruba jacket? Yoruba jean? Yoruba shirt? Yoruba skirt? Yoruba gloves?  Okay ohhh.  Yoruba invented everything even this world.  Yoruba invented Ipod, the sun, the sand and the moon.  I think they even invented the sky.   Are you people happy now?  You change one or two things and that makes it your own?  If so then I’m the creator of housing since I just renovated my own two days ago.

Abeg carry go, this back and forth argument is giving me a headache sef. Ileke-idi superiority and inferiority complex all mixed into one got no head and tail, why do it na?  This topic is worthless, abet Crayola carry on and spam this worthless thing. Ezeagu and the rest, let’s leave them with delusion. 

You are forgetting that the very ground on which you are standing right now was created from Ile-Ife. Now, what are you gonna do about that?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 4:52am On Nov 22, 2011
COMRADE EVAH LECTURING WAYWARD AND OGOGORO IJAWS will they listen?

"Why are the Yorubas sophisticated? Why are they more advanced than other parts of the country? We will tell them.
We will visit some local government areas where local government chairmen in Yoruba land are paying bursary to students of their area unlike in our own area where such a thing does not happen. No local government chairman in our own Niger-Delta area stays in the council. We ask them: ‘do you want to remain like this?’
They stay in hotels because the governors allow it. Council money is shared to party leaders. You can’t see that in Yoruba land and you see the prosperity in the area and we ask them, ‘do you want this type of thing for your children’s children?’
- Comrade Joseph Evah, the Co-ordinator, Ijaw Monitoring Group and Publicity Secretary, Ijaw National Congress, INC,
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:54am On Nov 22, 2011
one naira

as i pointed out before, the issue isnt the origin of agbada in itself, but rather the problem of hating on yorubas while at the same time wearing attire which is associated with yorubas.

my own research [going by those photos i posted] shows it seems to be the nationalistic igbos in the past who did such. ie wore attire closely associated with another tribe.

the examples of zik, king onyeama of eke, etc.

they were noted for integration and working with yorubas.

note the quote on ilorin medicine men being brought to igboland.

feel free to prove me wrong though.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 4:55am On Nov 22, 2011
Aigbofa:

You are forgetting that the very ground on which you are standing right now was created from Ile-Ife. Now, what are you gonna do about that?

Yes ooh. America was created from Ile-Ife.

No wonder Barack Obama's real name is Babatunde Olorunfunmi.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:56am On Nov 22, 2011
One_Naira:

Yes ooh. America was created from Ile-Ife.

No wonder Barack Obama's real name is Babatunde Olorunfunmi.

The creation of the world:

This is the story of how the world was created according to the Yorubas of West Africa.

The entire world was filled with water when God decided to create the world. God sent his messenger Obatala to perform the task of creating the world. Obatala brought along his helper, a man named Oduduwa as well as a calabash full of earth and a chicken. Then they began their descent to earth from a rope.

Along the way, they stopped over at a feast where Obatala got drunk from drinking too much palm wine. Oduduwa, finding his master drunk, picked up the calabash and the chicken and continued on the journey.

When Oduduwa reached the earth, he sprinkled earth from the calabash over the water and he dropped the chicken on the earth. The chicken then ran around spreading the earth in every direction he moved until there was land. Oduduwa had now created earth from what used to be water.

Later when Obatala got out of his drunken haze, he discovered that Oduduwa had already performed his task and he was very upset. God however gave him another task to perform – to create the people that would populate the earth.

And that was how the world was created in a place now called Ile-Ife.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee""

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.