Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,053 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Nigeria And Overhead Bridges - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Overhead Bridges (1136 Views)

Obiano Flags Off Housing Estate Project, Inspects Ongoing Roads, Bridges (photos / People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) / Senate Summons Fashola Over Falling Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
My question is one borne out of frustration from having to walk long distances and then climb a large pair of stairs on a scorchingly hot day.

I was just wondering if there are any construction/city planning experts on this site who can shed light on why these expensive structures are designed as opposed to simply installing traffic lights and zebra crossings to allow passengers reach their destinations at a faster rate?

Thank you and please note that everyone is welcome to share their opinion on this issue regardless of their knowledge base,
Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 23, 2011
bump
Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by DisGuy: 8:07pm On Nov 23, 2011
Job for the boys, i mean its take forever and costs incredible sums for something so simple

looks more impressive (local standards) and can be used to generate revenue/advertisement board

Some people still don't get the concept of a Zebra crossing, i mean people dont take official test to get a license

Traffic lights can be damages easily

you cant have an owambe to launch a traffic light, unlike the overhead bridge which will be described an 'ultra-modern, 'Engineering masterpiece' in the local media and can be listed as an achievement by state politicians/journalists
Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Nov 23, 2011
Dis Guy:
you cant have an owambe to launch a traffic light, unlike the overhead bridge which will be described an[size=13pt] 'ultra-modern, 'Engineering masterpiece'[/size] in the local media and can be listed as an achievement by state politicians/journalists

Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by violent(m): 8:18pm On Nov 23, 2011
Insert Quote
My question is one borne out of frustration from having to walk long distances and then climb a large pair of stairs on a scorchingly hot day.

You re just a plain lazy a[i]s[/i]s!

thousands die from drivers who get seizures at zebra crossing/drivers who "just didn't think she will cross the road".  Overhead bridges are meant to prevent these needless deaths, especially on highways where people can easily reach 200km/hr

Faster is nothing compared to being safe.
Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by dustydee: 8:42pm On Nov 23, 2011
Zebra crossings are not for highways.
Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Nov 23, 2011
Neither are pedestrian bridges really. I don't think the @Poster is asking of the construction of pedestrian bridges on highways but more why the need for such money spending on regular roads, when we could cut cost by using other SIMPLER and more cost effective means.

I can count the number of pedestrian bridges here. Matter of fact, I don't think I can remember seeing, or using any here.  undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria And Overhead Bridges by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 24, 2011
dustydee:

Zebra crossings are not for highways.
But what about having zebra crossings AND traffic lights at intersections? by intersections I mean those points where traffic slows down due to the presence of a roundabout. Why can't both traffic lights/zebra crossings AND overhead bridges be installed.

(1) (Reply)

The Day I Saw My Father Cry / Abia A Failed State / Sullivan Chime Discriminates Against Yoruba In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.