Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,507 members, 7,812,565 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? (16470 Views)

A Car Constructed With Wood With Motorcycle Engine In Bida / Its A Murano A Good Choice Than Honda Element? / Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by BOSON: 1:39pm On Dec 04, 2011
[b]Nairalanders please help with this enquiry?
Is it possible to use another engine maybe Nissan Altima Engine+gearbox in a Murano as the CVT transmission does not accelerate the way I like
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by sultaan(m): 6:07pm On Dec 04, 2011
WHy not service the transmission with the correct fluid?

Drain and refill

Check with user id nisspart if he has some in stock, office in ikeja lagos
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by BOSON: 9:56pm On Dec 04, 2011
Thanks. The car can only get to 30Km/hr at 3000rev/min engine speed
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 05, 2011
BOSON:

Thanks. The car can only get to 30Km/hr at 3000rev/min engine speed

Sounds like your CVT's slipping. I would get it checked, and repaired as required. Whilst it's very possible to transplant another engine and transmission into your Murano, it'll cost you way more than rectifying faults with your current tranny.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by princeonx: 8:15am On Dec 05, 2011
Why install another car's engine while you can buy a complete exact murano engine and gearbox to replace yours?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 05, 2011
Let's have a bargain, I would give you an Engine, you give me your Murano, grin

Actually its possible to fix another engine into it, but Y not try to get it repaired or replace it with Murano engine, common this is a Japanese car, it should be so difficult to sort out.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Godson1990: 10:17am On Dec 05, 2011
It seems murano is too problematic? The gearbox abi engine knocks easily?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 05, 2011
Godson1990:

It seems murano is too problematic? The gearbox abi engine knocks easily?

There's nothing wrong with the Murano engine or tranny. It's bad maintenance and bad mechanics that spells doom for most vehicles in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by VIPICO(m): 11:06am On Dec 05, 2011
Siena:

There's nothing wrong with the Murano engine or tranny. It's bad maintenance and bad mechanics that speels doom for most vehicles in Nigeria.

@ Sienna, I have asked you a question once but did not get any response from you. Let me try luck again as I have massive respect for your depth of knowledge of cars.

Between a Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited and a BMW X5 xDrive 35d and a BMW X3 xDrive28i. All '08 or '09, which would you candidly recommend for a Nigerian: taking into cognizance the expertise of our mechanics and every other factor perculiar to Naija.

Would be most grateful if you could answer me.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by nissparts(m): 11:20am On Dec 05, 2011
Actually gentlemen, Nissan's CVT is problematic.
This is why the warranty on the transmissions were increased from 60k miles to 120k miles instead of a recall.
It is however worsened when you bring such a car to Nigeria where all manner of uninformed technicians attempt to maintain it.

OP, call me and set up an appointment so we can do a proper diagnosis on your car.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 05, 2011
VIPICO:

@ Sienna, I have asked you a question once but did not get any response from you. Let me try luck again as I have massive respect for your depth of knowledge of cars.

Between a Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited and a BMW X5 xDrive 35d and a BMW X3 xDrive28i. All '08 or '09, which would you candidly recommend for a Nigerian: taking into cognizance the expertise of our mechanics and every other factor perculiar to Naija.

Would be most grateful if you could answer me.

For simplicity, and ease of repairs in Nigeria, I would recommend the Toyota Highlander, but not the Hybrid model. The Hybrid system is beyond the scope of the regular Nigerian mechanic. My choice, based upon my knowledge of the automobile, and enthusiastic driving would be the BMW X5. If you wanted a BMW, I would suggest you avoid the diesel-engined version, as most Nigerian mechanics shy away from them.

I like diesels, love the torque and the fuel-sipping characteristics of a diesel engine, but it's not for most Nigerian users.

My opinion, based upon all the factors pecular to the Nigerian driving envoronment, expertise of the average mechanic, and abundance of parts? Toyota Highlander non-hybrid.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by donugapi(m): 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2011

There's nothing wrong with the Murano engine or tranny. It's bad maintenance and bad mechanics that spells doom for most vehicles in Nigeria.

I kinda beg to differ with your statement about the transmission.

I use a Murano and although, I haven't had any problems, I still wait for the day that the transmission gives in. I am hoping it doesn't happen and thus I religiously and carefully maintain it and I have a very good mechanic that works on it. Once something feels out of the ordinary, I take it straight to the garage and sort out whatever the issue is. Even with this, the car still drills holes in my pocket no thanks to our bad roads in Lagos and the fact that the car isn't too rugged and built for all that everyday Lagos driving on bad roads. I have decided that next year, I am dumping the car and going for a Toyota.

The issue with the gearbox is a general issue with the Murano CVT. With proper maintenance, you can greatly reduce the likelihood of it getting damaged but there's still a chance that you may be unlucky enough to be stuck with one of those ones that fail at about 80-100k miles. Nissan have also admitted to this which is why they extended the warranty on those cars.

@OP Have you tried changing all your spark plugs and servicing your fuel nozzles. You could also try changing or cleaning the fuel filter. It may just be that the car is due for a major servicing of these parts. Mine used to be a bit draggy too but once I did all this, I felt like I was in a 350Z more than a Murano, The acceleration was out of this world and I started enjoying the car better.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2011
donugapi:

I kinda beg to differ with your statement about the transmission.

I use a Murano and although, I haven't had any problems, I still wait for the day that the transmission gives in. I am hoping it doesn't happen and thus I religiously and carefully maintain it and I have a very good mechanic that works on it. Once something feels out of the ordinary, I take it straight to the garage and sort out whatever the issue is. Even with this, the car still drills holes in my pocket no thanks to our bad roads in Lagos and the fact that the car isn't too rugged and built for all that everyday Lagos driving on bad roads. I have decided that next year, I am dumping the car and going for a Toyota.

The issue with the gearbox is a general issue with the Murano CVT. With proper maintenance, you can greatly reduce the likelihood of it getting damaged but there's still a chance that you may be unlucky enough to be stuck with one of those ones that fail at about 80-100k miles. Nissan have also admitted to this which is why they extended the warranty on those cars.

No worries bro, point taken. But the best option in such situations is to retain the original engine AND transmission. A hybrid installation brings its own share of issues. The furthest from standard I would go with regards to getting rid of the problematic CVT, would be a manual conversion. Using a Nissan Murano 5-speed manual, thus maintaining integrity.

Replacing the CVT with a conventional automatic transmission from a different car / Nissan model is not adviced. The CVT and other auto trannies in modern vehicles are computer-controlled, the CVT has its own TCU (Transmission Control Unit) that needs to communicate with the engine's ECU. The CVT's TCU will NOT work with a conventional automatic tranny. Different maps, different communication protocol. At least, a manual is not controlled by electronics, and the engine ECU can be soft-coded not to look for the absent TCU, if a manual conversion is carried out.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Mosesli: 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2011
Hmmm. Risky dude
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:39pm On Dec 05, 2011
siena,
you got it spot on with the toyota highlander. mine is a 2006 model (pre-ordered by inspired_m)
and still going strong.

looks like we're beginning to see eye to eye on most things autos after all!  smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 05, 2011
George_D:

siena,
you got it spot on with the toyota highlander. mine is a 2006 model (pre-ordered by inspired_m)
and still going strong.

looks like we're beginning to see eye to eye on most things autos after all!  smiley

Lol. As long as I don't suggest an economical 6,0 V12, or a fuel-sipping diesel engine for Nigerian use, hehehe.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Piedpiper(m): 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2011
OP,
Yes you can ! Can! Can !
I have a friend who went thru exactly what you are going thru now with the slipping gears and loss of power.
He simply put in a QX4 transmission in and voila. Rolling all over town in peace and quiet.
The only noticeable difference offcourse is the smoothness of the CVT trans is gone and the relatively slower takeoff from standstill.
If not you wouldn't even know the difference if you are not accustomed to the CVT Trans! And its cheap as hell to run now. grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by VIPICO(m): 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2011
@Sienna, thanks man. Now u are back to being my friend fully again. I was almost 'unfriending' you. Lol. Seriously, thanks man, I will scram from the hybrid. i was only about to be lured by the execellent fuel economy: 23 cty/29 hwy.
My real issue, though very personal, is that I have a lot of close folks around who all own Highlanders. I thought I should try any other good SUV for a change. But I do know that the Highlander is the bomb anyday. I'm really at a crossroad as to settle for a very good substitute for it thus far
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by sandee575(f): 3:09pm On Dec 05, 2011
The Murano is a lovely car. Sienna has said it all. Good maintenance is it, i dont believe any car was built to fail.
@ Sienna: Ive had this Murano for over a year but im suspicious of the power steering as being stiff. Is this common
to their make or there is something else to it. Beside this, its been a lovely trouble free car, goes like it wont like to stop.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 05, 2011
sandee575:

The Murano is a lovely car. Sienna has said it all. Good maintenance is it, i dont believe any car was built to fail.
@ Sienna: Ive had this Murano for over a year but im suspicious of the power steering as being stiff. Is this common
to their make or there is something else to it. Beside this, its been a lovely trouble free car, goes like it wont like to stop.

Stiff steering is subjective. It depends on what vehicle you owned before the Murano. So the steering may be pretty normal for the size and weight of vehicle. Another factor that can affect steering feel is tyres size. Too wide a tyre can make any car harder to steer at slow speeds.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Wallie(m): 3:32pm On Dec 05, 2011
If your transmission is bad, just replace the transmission and not the engine. There's no need to do a manual conversion as your ECU and CVT computer will need to be reprogrammed/tricked and the transplant might not be straightforward without the right additional parts.

What year is your Murano and is it 4X4 or 4X2? CVT Transmission for a 2007 Murano 4X4 is about $1200-$2000 in the US NOT including shipping.

Having infinite gears, which is what a CVT transmission is, is one of those ideas that sound good on paper but crappy in the real world! Cars are heading there as can be seen with newer cars being 8-speed but a good execution of CVT is still a few years away. Audi and Nissan seem to be leading the charge.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by nissparts(m): 3:42pm On Dec 05, 2011
sandee575:

Do a google search and you will find several murano owners complaining of steering stiffness compared to other SUVs.
You may need to check for leaks at the high pressure power steering hose though.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by sandee575(f): 5:02pm On Dec 05, 2011
@ Sienna:
Stiff steering is subjective. It depends on what vehicle you owned before the Murano. So the steering may be pretty normal for the size and weight of vehicle. Another factor that can affect steering feel is tyres size. Too wide a tyre can make any car harder to steer at slow speeds.

There should be an expected level of power steering effectiveness in every vehicle without the need to make comparisons.
The tyres are as recommended by the manufacturer and inflated to the book. Unfortunately ive not tried to drive another
Murano to be able to confirm that its a general problem. Someone just asked me to google and see other Murano drivers
are complaining of the same problem.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 05, 2011
sandee575:

There should be an expected level of power steering effectiveness in every vehicle without the need to make comparisons.
The tyres are as recommended by the manufacturer and inflated to the book. Unfortunately ive not tried to drive another
Murano to be able to confirm that its a general problem. Someone just asked me to google and see other Murano drivers
are complaining of the same problem.

My apologies then. I can only go by what you posted, I drive different vehicles on a daily basis, in the course of my work, and every car has a different feel - steering, clutch, brake pedal feel etc. Hence my comparison.

Sorry!
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by icemann(m): 6:14pm On Dec 05, 2011
@ Poster. I have seen the same stuff happen to a Nissan Maxima( They have similar  3.5L CVT Trans with a Murano). The owner got a tune up( Air filter, plugs, oil change, and Nozzles cleaned) he also had the transmission fluid changed and every thing was fine.( WITH A NISSAN CVT TRANSMISSION FLUID)
The Mechanic said the engine was losing power causing the tranny was feeling the car was towing something therefor staying at high RPMs to give it enough Torque. I dont really know how a towing CVT works, but i know A gear hunting auto transmission.

The Maxima is on 125K miles and he bought it at 68K miles with a transferred warranty( I guess its the same tranny from new)

I would say do a tune up first.

I own a Nissan murano  3.5L SL AWD an on the tank its written " FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE USE UNLEADED PREMIUM GASOLINE" that means use 95 RON. I hear in Nigeria 91RON is what is normally imported. I know knock sensors correct for knocking, but you know that sticker wasn't put for no reason.(just my two cents)
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by icemann(m): 6:49pm On Dec 05, 2011
@siena. 4.2L V8 40v 2 x DOHC  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Very Very thirsty. It would be a lot cheaper if you build a filling station next to your house. LOL  grin grin

Fist bump for having a guzzler

But i haven't  seen any engine with 5 valves per cylinder. All i know is 2 intake and two exhaust, and also 3 valves per cylinder

Quad cam  shocked , thats a super engine.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Wallie(m): 6:58pm On Dec 05, 2011
icemann:

Very Very thirsty. It would be a lot cheaper if you build a filling station next to your house. LOL  grin grin

[b]But i haven't  seen any engine with 5 valves per cylinder. [/b]All i know is 2 intake and two exhaust, and also 3 valves per cylinder

I think the Ferrari F355 used 5 valves.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by sandee575(f): 7:01pm On Dec 05, 2011
@ Sienna
There's no cause for apologies. I respect your knowlege and experience in motoring and
i believe ive written nothing to show anything contrary to that. Is there a method one can
employ personnaly to improve on the power steeering performance of this vehicle?
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 05, 2011
icemann:

But i haven't  seen any engine with 5 valves per cylinder. All i know is 2 intake and two exhaust, and also 3 valves per cylinder

It's a general misconception that a bigger capacity engine must be thirsty. Not true, there are many variables that have an effect on fuel consumption. For my consumption figures, take a look here when you get a spare minute:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-672119.32.html

Pay particular attention to post #59.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Chiori(m): 10:43pm On Dec 05, 2011
Hmm! Please don't think you are going to go for another engine, and that it will run as fast as the Murano engine. Murano competes very well with V8. So go service your engine. The problem might be from the gearbox, and sometimes from the fuel pump, which makes the car rev slower without going off at times.
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by bestofthisyear(m): 12:07am On Dec 06, 2011
Yes. A maxima and murano share the same engine. Although if you need certain authenic parts for your engine I can deliver the original manufactured parts at good rates. If interested let me know
Re: Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano? by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 06, 2011
nissparts:

Actually gentlemen, Nissan's CVT is problematic.
This is why the warranty on the transmissions were increased from 60k miles to 120k miles instead of a recall.
Hm, I guess that must be one school of thought for another holds that the mileage warranty was extended as an indication of the confidence level Nissan had on its CVT. Recalls are usually made in matters relating to safety, and I don't think the Murano CVT has been reported to be generally hazardous on account of its tranny. The CVT has been used on the Maxima since 2007 and there's been no adverse reviews on its reliability---or could it be that the pre-2007 CVTs were not as durable? It is surely instructive that current Maxima models (from2009) don't even have manual transmissions, they're solely CVT.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 5 Online Marketplace To Sell Your Car In Nigeria / Tips When Your Car Is On Fire - FRSC / PAN Nigeria Unveils 301-wildfire Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.