Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) (6844 Views)

Alhaji Yahaya Bello: The New APC Gubernatorial Candidate In Kogi State / Abubakar Sani Bello, The Richest Governor-Elect In Nigeria Detected / PDP Gov. Candidate Umar Nasko Conceeds Defeat, Congratulates Bello, The Winner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by nwabobo: 10:22pm On Dec 05, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA&feature=share

The Sardauna's views here seriously undermine the ideals of national unity and call into question his commitment to building a stable, free, united & independent nation. This also proves that the enmity between the Igbos and Hausas predates the January 1966 coup.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by nwabobo: 10:41pm On Dec 05, 2011
To Ahmadu Bello, working hard and trying to get to the top of one's career, whether it be as a labourer was seen as trying to 'dominate where ever you find your self' and also seen as negative.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 10:48pm On Dec 05, 2011
Clearly he never really believed in the concept of Nigeria. It was probably something the British forced on the founding fathers as a precondition for independence. . . who knows what went on behind closed doors?

Given that, I don't see why his position as unreasonable.

Otoh if he had marketed himself as a pan-Nigerian, then his position would be hypocritical.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by jason123: 11:51pm On Dec 05, 2011
Seriously, these people were forced into Nigeria! Let's not complain now, after all, we forced them! undecided
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by VoodooDoll(m): 12:07am On Dec 06, 2011
Ahmadu Bello was a tribalist. That much is backed by that video.

Nothing wrong with being "pro-your people -merit permitted" but to do so at the extent of pushing or pulling other people down is wrong!
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by T8ksy(m): 12:12am On Dec 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Clearly he never really believed in the concept of Nigeria. It was probably something the British forced on the founding fathers as a precondition for independence. . . who knows what went on behind closed doors?

Given that, I don't see why his position as unreasonable.

Otoh if he had marketed himself as a pan-Nigerian, then his position would be hypocritical.

@ Bolded,

Abi ojare! The sardunna never attempt (at any time) to disguise what he truly thinks of the concept of one nigeria. He does not believe in its

viability and rightly so. As far as he was concerned the only way there will be a one nigeria is, if its on HIS own terms. He was mandated by

allah to look after the interest of his people and that's exactly what he intend to, and did do. And for this, the op named him

a "tribalist". . . . . . . . . . . . hmmmm i wonder . . . . . . .  

jason123:

Seriously, these people were forced into Nigeria! Let's not complain now, after all, we forced them! undecided

Who forced them (into one nigeria)? Afterall, we all know what Awo thought of the geographical space called nigeria.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 12:47am On Dec 06, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Ahmadu Bello was a tribalist. That much is backed by that video.

Nothing wrong with being "pro-your people -merit permitted" but to do so at the extent of pushing or pulling other people down is wrong!

He may have been a tribalist. But if he viewed "the North" as a separate and distinct entity from Nigeria, then how is he different from an American or Brit who is anti immigration?

Or Ghana that makes it difficult for Nigerians?

If history had turned out differently  and Ghana and Nigeria were somehow one country, would Ghanians be "tribalists" too?

How can you be a tribalist if you never even wanted to be in the same country to begin with? If aliens from outer space conquered earth and forced Mexico and the US to be one country (something most Americans would be against), would the pissed off Americans then be tribalists?
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 12:48am On Dec 06, 2011
I'm obviously not a fan of Bello. But it should be pretty damn easy to see his perspective.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by musiwa43: 1:00am On Dec 06, 2011
I think  Ahmadu bello is been honest with you on what is happening in Nigeria. even as i write. they have a policy in the north  to employ northerners first. Even in abuja the city of Nigeria govt . they employ northerners first .

It is only the Yorubas that employ others nigerian. Even in other part of Nigeria. they do the same too. not only in the north apart from yorubaland where the people tend to employ other nigerian. the others dont.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by Onlytruth(m): 1:19am On Dec 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm obviously not a fan of Bello. But it should be pretty damn easy to see his perspective.

Seconded at bolded, but I have more to say.

I have a lot of respect for Ahmadu Bello because he truly understood HOW to get what he wanted in or out of Nigeria. He had a great perception of the FACTS of Nigeria. He never deceived himself for one day.

I still marvel at how only he understood the importance of dominating the lowest rank infantry of the Nigerian army. I'm truly shocked and bewildered that other Nigerians, especially my Eastern Nigerian folks who dominated the officer corp of the army then didn't see the need to at least co-dominate the lowest ranks as well.

From the East, there are always truck pushers, illiterates, motor park touts, thieves, and all types of never do wells who should have been pushed into the army, but somehow this didn't happen.
Dominating the officer corp without dominating the lowest ranks is very dangerous, and we paid dearly for this during the crisis of 1966.

So, I will always respect this man no matter what. cool

1 Like

Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 1:21am On Dec 06, 2011
musiwa,,.:

Even in abuja the city of Nigeria govt . they employ northerners first .

100% true, lol. Yar'Adua especially Hausa'd everything up in Abuja.

I don't have a problem with the way these Northerners do this stuff in their own region. What annoys the hell out of me is that they also do it when they gain federal power. How can you turn Abuja, the capital of the country and run it like you'll run Zamfara or whatever, putting only your boys in charge?

It is this basic lack of fair play of Northerners that I think makes other Nigerians absolutely hate them.

Oh well.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by musiwa43: 1:23am On Dec 06, 2011
the issue is I have said this over and over. remove Edo.delta and Yoruba.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 1:25am On Dec 06, 2011
Hausas did not join the army in large #s.

Middle belters did, though.

If the middle belters hadn't thrown in their lot with the rest of the north, no counter-coup would have been possible.

Let us not credit Bello with more foresight than he actually had.

This is the major mistake imo that Awolowo made. From the time he was premier of the Western Region he should have tried to encourage as many Westerners to join the army as possible.

History would have turned out so differently if this had happened. . .  undecided

However, I guess it is easy to speak with hindsight.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by musiwa43: 1:30am On Dec 06, 2011
army is a low paying job then in nigeria. Yorubas would not have join. there was less than 1000 yorubas during  the war.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by jason123: 1:31am On Dec 06, 2011
Well, that's what we get for forcing a people who did not want to be part of Nigeria. Can be then blame them if they do not want to leave?? Can we blame them if they do not care about Nigeria Can we blame them if they fight against another group leaving, after they have had to do their little "conformity" to the Nigeria project?
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by htajz: 1:33am On Dec 06, 2011
interesting
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by Onlytruth(m): 1:34am On Dec 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hausas did not join the army in large #s.

Middle belters did, though.

If the middle belters hadn't thrown in their lot with the rest of the north, no counter-coup would have been possible.

Let us not credit Bello with more foresight than he actually had.

This is the major mistake imo that Awolowo made. From the time he was premier of the Western Region he should have tried to encourage as many Westerners to join the army as possible.

History would have turned out so differently if this had happened. . .  undecided

However, I guess it is easy to speak with hindsight.

@First bolded, yes of course "Middle-belters" did, but they were NORTHERNERS then and they owed their careers to Ahmadu Bello. If I were Zik then, I would have done the same in the East. If I can't find enough Igbos to do it, I would push in Ijaws and others provided the East dominates that lowest rank as well.
For someone as educated as Zik, he should have understood this little fact because the same army had been used in the past before the 1966 crisis. There must have been warning signs.

@Second bolded, yes Awo should have done the same in the West. Believe me if he did it, the 1966 crisis would have turned out completely different because Ogundipe would have made a strong stance instead of running away.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 1:34am On Dec 06, 2011
musiwa,,.:

army is a low paying job then in nigeria. Yorubas would not have join. there was less than 1000 yorubas during  the war.

I know, it probably wouldn't have made sense money-wise to join.

But he could have made it more attractive by offering a stipend for those who joined. We could have easily afforded it, and the investment would have paid off once the British left.

I wish I had a muthafucking time machine, man.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by Relax101(m): 1:44am On Dec 06, 2011
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by Relax101(m): 1:46am On Dec 06, 2011
Anyway who was the first mayor of Enugu? The former capital of Eastern Nigeria?
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by RoadStar: 1:50am On Dec 06, 2011
Na wa o ! Igbos don really suffer for long time.

Being a Nigerian, the predicament of Igbos have made me understand that of the Jews
And that of the Jews have made me understand that of the Igbos.

I can now see why a lot of Igbos try to draw a common ancestry with Jews.
There seems to be an inate fear, hatred, suspicion, loath, envy , just like Jews from their neighbours.

But why ? shocked shocked
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by musiwa43: 1:58am On Dec 06, 2011
there is the wrong impression that the yoruba were involve in the war. this is not correct, there were few yorubas involve in the civil war. the yorubas stay away from the war because it was seen as a war between the igbos and the north. If you listen to this biafra army men. and they song they were  singing  in igbo. it tell you who they were fighting.  That why when you ask many yorubas to tell you which members of their family was involve in the civil war. there are few people who will be able to name any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7IZBBATTM&feature=related
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by lagcity(m): 2:00am On Dec 06, 2011
Bello was not a tribalist, he was a regionalist. He treated Northern Yorubas the same way he treated other Northerners. A lot of Yorubas got scholarships as Northerners.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 2:02am On Dec 06, 2011
The neighbors of the Israelis have good reasons to be pissed, no?

WW2 happened, Nazis genocided Jews, then somehow the Jews as compensation get a piece of Palestine as their own country? Wetin concern Arab man or Palestinian man with that?

The moral burden/obligation was on Germany, not Arabs.

That seems unjust to me.

The correct thing to do would have been to give them a piece of Germany as their homeland grin

But of course, Europeans hate Jews too much to have done that. . .instead they dumped their problem on the Palestinians.

BTW is it me or are the British some of the biggest asshats in history?

Almost everywhere they colonized or meddled in had serious problems afterwards. Palestine, Nigeria, India, etc, etc.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by musiwa43: 2:04am On Dec 06, 2011
are you serious lagcity ,  they treated the Yorubas in the north bad. That among the Yorubas then. the least educated one, were people from kwara and kogi state those days , go and ask anyone.  they got treated like poo.  there was no meanful development project that they can name , that they did. if you know any, tell us. none.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by lagcity(m): 2:06am On Dec 06, 2011
^^^^^
i think he was talking about the pre-israel jews and the hatred they managed to garner anywhere they went.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by lagcity(m): 2:08am On Dec 06, 2011
musiwa,,.:

are you serious lagcity , they treated the Yorubas in the north bad. That among the Yorubas then. the least educated one, were does from kwara and kogi state those days , go and ask anyone.

nah mehn, the Yorubas in Kogi and Kwara were not treated differently. I would have liked it if they were treated badly so that they can stop that "we are northerners" boolshit.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by musiwa43: 2:09am On Dec 06, 2011
they were treated so bad, that the university of ilorin that I went too. produce its first Vice Chancellor been from ilorin through Professor Oba Abdulraheem . many years after the university of ilorin was created.  this was in the 90;s when every yoruba village have already produce a professor.  This is how bad they were backway.   The position was filled by other Yorubas from other stats for many years . because of injustice they had in the hand of northerners.

they were so maltreated that nearly every department of the university of ilorin at that time, were filled by other yorubas from other state. that is how backway and maltreatment yorubas in the north got . if you doubt my statement go and ask anyone.

they could not find people from kwara to fill the position. because they were maltreat been classified as part of the north.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by lagcity(m): 2:18am On Dec 06, 2011
^^^^
what r u talking abt dude? u r saying the northerners put SW yorubas as chancellor instead of kwara yoruba. wtf is the difference? yoruba na yoruba. anyway, i am talking about the govt of Northern region, not Nigerian federal govt. The Northern region govt didn't discriminate against Northern Yorubas in civil service, scholarships, or govt business loans.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by RoadStar: 2:22am On Dec 06, 2011
The guys had an inner hate for Igbos.
Igbos were the only ones he refered to by Name.
The rest of Nigeria he refered to by their regions.
He did not say Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani.
When he said "other Nigerians", I understood that to mean "non-Igbo"

That this is coming to light at Ojukwus death
And I was one of those who criticized Ojukwu

And to know that Ahmadu Bello is a Hero and role model to Millions of Nigerians
Igbos are really in trouble.
Na everyday my eyes dey open  shocked shocked shocked
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by ektbear: 2:29am On Dec 06, 2011
Regarding Northern Yoruba, from reading the Willinks report they weren't really unhappy with the North. They were able to get a lot of those civil service jobs since they were better educated than your typical northerner.

Anyway, I'm not too obsessed with them these days. If they prefer the North, so be it.
Re: Was Ahmadu Bello The Greatest Tribalist In Nigerian Politics? (video) by lagcity(m): 2:31am On Dec 06, 2011
RoadStar:

The guys had an inner hate for Igbos.
Igbos were the only ones he refered to by Name.
The rest of Nigeria he refered to by their regions.
He did not say Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani.
When he said "other Nigerians", I understood that to mean "non-Igbo"

That this is coming to light at Ojukwus death
And I was one of those who criticized Ojukwu

And to know that Ahmadu Bello is a Hero and role model to Millions of Nigerians
Igbos are really in trouble.
Na everyday my eyes dey open shocked shocked shocked
i think it is becos Igbos don't know how to be successful and modest. i have come to understand that Igbos aren't trying to be rude when loud, they just don't know any other way.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mrs Buhari & Edo Prostitution Talk: APC Given A Taste Of Its Own Medicine! / See What Happens If Nigeria Does It Like China (pic) - Cramjones / Alleged Fraud: PDP Seeks Prosecution Of Lai Mohammed, Usman Yusuf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.