Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? (950 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? / Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? by Joey82(m): 1:12pm On Dec 16, 2011
Imagine a litre of PMS going for between 140 to 150 naira, then the price of AGO maybe say arround 230 naira. Imagine how much a litre of kerosine will cost. I strongly believe the masses will soon invent another brand of local stove, this time it may not be called Abacha, maybe Goodluck.

Imagine running a barbing saloon purely on generators as it were, then the cost of shaving will double, then peeps who've got cars may have to park their vehicles, maybe we may have a total reduction in fuel consumption, what will happen to the cost of transportation is better not imagined. In every single way (mentioned and not mentioned), the masses are bound to suffer. Hyper inflation will soon become a common every day name in our vocabulary.

If all this is not of serious concern, how about the real sector which we badly need to develop, it is increasingly becoming more difficult to do business in Naija.

Not that removing subsidy is a bad idea especially considering how much a choosen few benefit from it, but at this time of the day when poverty is at worst abject, I feel certain issues need to be addressed first. We need to get the power sector working so that running small businesses does not entirely depend on fuel. If the private sector is not ready to build refineries, government should build and hand it over to them (afterall, that's the usual practise in Naija)

We also need to tighten up our borders so that smuggling what is subsidised for nigerians will be at a minimal low, then and only then will this subsidy removal thing work. But if it must be now, well, I'm already designing my placard to match to eagle square in protest.
Re: Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? by Joey82(m): 8:06am On Jan 02, 2012
now its happening, let the drama unfold.
Re: Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? by dplordx(m): 8:17am On Jan 02, 2012
Bad timing indeed. I am shutting down my Agrochemical project until 2000 and whatever the price of fuel comes down.
Or just sell the whole thing and start planning how to become a citizen here. Whoever GEJ is, I think hes one of the saddest animals to ever exist on planet earth.
How can you do such a painful thing to your people on the 1st of a new year? If the delay had lingered in February or their proposed April, there wont be so much hate as this.
Re: Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 02, 2012
Pee Dee Pee!!!
Progress!!

Re: Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? by DRANOEL(m): 8:27am On Jan 02, 2012
hair cut in my area : 250naira from 100naira
indomie : 85naira from 35naira
okada : 50naira distance now 150naira
this are the ones i've directly experienced! breath of fresh air indeed!
Re: Subsidy Removal; Good Idea, Bad Timing? by Joey82(m): 8:28am On Jan 02, 2012
Maple:

Pee Dee Pee!!!
Progress!!

Progress? well, progress can someimes be retrogressive sha. u mean the opposite i guess.

(1) (Reply)

My Agony: Woman Who Lost Her Husband And Five Children In The Xmas Day Bombing / What Must The South Do Now That The North Won't Change ? / Breaking News: Diezani Allison Madueke.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.