Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,925 members, 7,821,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) (9079 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. / Martian/ Plaetton - Let's Discuss Ancient Aliens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 20, 2011
i dont liv in the existence of scary lookin demons,

its heartless humans dat i call demons,

i remember when we did sumfin bad as kids and always said its d devils handwork,
[size=20pt]NA LIE[/size] grin grin
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by kwenu: 6:23pm On Dec 20, 2011
@Joagbaje
It is the Holyspirit that shows you  Demons so as to expose them and thier evil works, and he can achieve that through different ways  
1 The Holyspirit can open the eyes of your heart to see them or by making you pass through thier midst  while he leads you .
Through visions or dreams ,This can be said to be spiritual realms or platforms where spirit beings operate from , here any demon or demons can be noticed clearly and be seen real to the prophet or dreamer

most christian are gifted in such a way that they can spot a demon in real life in this physical world of ours most especially in churches where and when the power of God Almighty is been present, there Demons are easily detected  or noticed and being cast out by the Holy spirit

for you to notice Demons , you need to be Holy spirit conscious and that can achieved by first being born again and then inviting the holy spirit into your life , study the scriptures deeply an do other spiritual exercises then you will begin to feel the presence of the holy spirit and then as well if theirs any demonic attack carried against you or anyone you Love. The Holy spirit  then begins to show you the  Demons behind it and their works .Automatically you become a servant of the Lord delivering her people

The Holyspirit will make you come across hidden things that only you know
don't forget to be sensitive to instructions from him, his instructions are simply the word of God, the Bible, study it and let it sink inside you till it becomes your food  Let it sink into your spirit an by so doing the word will become flesh  '' words are spiritual food''  when you grow the word of God inside you .you become like God exactly.
Yield to his instructions as-well

Hope i answered the question wink
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by EvilBrain1(m): 6:36pm On Dec 20, 2011
Anyone who truly believes in invisible, undetectable enemies must either be mentally ill or possessed by the demon of stûpidity. There are treatments for paranoid schizophrenia, but science is yet to develop a pill for the second group.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Yeske2(m): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2011
Nothing of such abeg.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by kwenu: 7:03pm On Dec 20, 2011
@freecocoa
A christian who is not spirit filled is open to be possessed by other sources such as demons
Possession in this this case does not simply mean Total control of that christian fellow. the holyspirit can still be present with such person so that the Demon does not gain full control on that persons life
This is why the Bible warned that we live in the spirit an not in the flesh so we dont fulfil the laws of the flesh. since both are enemies but you all know how it is with we christians today , that most of us do like worldly things  an so live in the flesh
Demons force themselves into peoples lives but the holyspirit is Gentle,calm and friendly. we as christian need to go after the holyspirit
and again when you study the Bible you findout that annointed men such as David, Samson, Solomon had one demon in common which is Lust. Lust itself is a demon but  it is invisible and other Demonic agents use it against the people of God

for you to notice Demons , you need to be Holy spirit conscious and that can achieved by first being born again and then inviting the holy spirit into your life , study the scriptures deeply an do other spiritual exercises then you will begin to feel the presence of the holy spirit and then as well if theirs any demonic attack carried against you or anyone you Love. The Holy spirit  then begins to show you the  Demons behind it and their works .Automatically you become a servant of the Lord delivering her people

The Holyspirit will make you come across hidden things that only you know
don't forget to be sensitive to instructions from him, his instructions are simply the word of God, the Bible, study it and let it sink inside you till it becomes your food  Let it sink into your spirit an by so doing the word will become flesh  '' words are spiritual food''  when you grow the word of God inside you .you become like God exactly.
Yield to his instructions as-well
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by 195(f): 7:11pm On Dec 20, 2011
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by lagcity(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2011
Demons ko, demons ni. this is the modern age where we don't need this poo anymore. ages ago, ppl came up with these things to explain or make sense of the world around them but it is time to let go of the boogey man. For example, in the olden days, when your child suffers epilepsy and u call a "doctor", the arsehole doctor won't come clean that he doesn't know what's up. he's just gonna blame it on demon possession and start flogging the sick child angry angry angry. grin
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by kwenu: 7:29pm On Dec 20, 2011
@EvilBrain , Yeske, IMMANUEL
I understand where you guys are coming from but its good you know that two worlds exist  one is of the senses and the other is of our heart  .
We Christians live in our hearts  but those athiests an the so called intellectuals who trust in thier own understanding live in thier senses  thats why they cant understand our  world

but soon  you guys will get to know the world of those other christians you call fools as reality
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 20, 2011
lagcity:

Demons ko, demons ni. this is the modern age where we don't need this poo anymore. ages ago, ppl came up with these things to explain or make sense of the world around them but it is time to let go of the boogey man. For example, in the olden days, when your child suffers epilepsy and u call a "doctor", the arsehole doctor won't come clean that he doesn't know what's up. he's just gonna blame it on demon possession and start flogging the sick child angry angry angry. grin

Thanks for calling it as it is grin

My response is this video, which applies to black folk in Nigeria as much it applies to our kindred in the US.

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t7ySbrgT74?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Loveaflame(m): 10:03pm On Dec 20, 2011
Some people can be very hypocritical and live in self denial. No one needs to tell you whether demons are real or not.Why is America forcing Nigeria to legalize ma lover and woman lover.Is that not madness(demon inspired and orchestrated plan)

Why have they legalize bestiality for American soldiers which is just an experiment and a test-run plan to do it openly for all Americans.Say I told you so.

Why  do our ladies dress like insane people all in the name of fashion?

Why the great degree of immoralities and crimes if their are no evil influences behind such?

Anyone saying they are not real is possessed by such spirits.The painful thing today is that we are doing exactly what they want us to do.DENY THEIR EXISTENCE.

While the white may deny such,we Africans know better.No one can tell an African Traditionlist that there are no evil spirits.I have seen them many times.

Let our leaders be told to take oath into their offices with Ogun(god of iron) or Sango(god of thunder). You will see changes in this nation.Because they fear those things more than the Almighty God.

Or if you doubt their existence do one of the following and your beliefs will change.

1. Sit down on a mortar as from 12-2 at night.
2. Put the mucus from the eyes of a dog and rub it on your own
3.Go to a grave yard by night with a live cock in your hand by 1-3 at night and kill it putting the blood on one of the grave yards.
4.Go and secretly demolish the shrine of a god in a village setup.
5.Go to Esan land precisely Ugboha or Ubiaja and sit under an Iroko tree by 1-3 at night.

If anyone who denies their existence can do all these things let him come back to nairaland and testify
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by deadie(m): 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2011
Most Nigerians should be neutered. The population intelligence is already too diluted for continued sustainability. At this age some morons are exploring demons and invisible enemies, believe in a space daddy invented by cave-dwelling Middle Easterners, witches and wizards, etc. You guys need to be eliminated from the gene pool.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 10:16pm On Dec 20, 2011
@kwenu

To my knowledge there are two kinds of Demons in the realm of the spirit, they are, the visible and the invisible ones . the invisible ones are more powerful than the visible ones. when you study your bible you will notice where the disciples of Christ were having problems casting out a demon in  the body of  a person, there Jesus himself made us to understand that demons are of different kinds

I don't think you answered the question o. You said there are 2 kinds of demons . But your definition is about 2 kinds of seers ,what a spiritual man can see etc.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2011
@deadie
deadie:

Most Nigerians should be neutered. The population intelligence is already too diluted for continued sustainability. At this age some morons are exploring demons and invisible enemies, believe in a space daddy invented by cave-dwelling Middle Easterners, witches and wizards, etc. You guys need to be eliminated from the gene pool.

Its not a nigerian thing. Demonic manifestation is universal. One of the reasons the western world are ignorant of it is because the have given nice names to demonic problems. But few ministers that knows this always expose them there. Watch this video and hear Oyinbo demonise woman speaking with mans voice!

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOAmOX5LFI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by EarsWide(m): 10:28pm On Dec 20, 2011
@Jo 'I can raise dead people' Agbaje

Raised any dead people lately ? LOL
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 10:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
Stop wearing yourself out
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by deadie(m): 10:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
deadie:

Joagbaje:

@deadie
Its not a nigerian thing. Demonic manifestation is universal. One of the reasons the western world are ignorant of it is because the have given nice names to demonic problems. But few ministers that knows this always expose them there. Watch this video and hear Oyinbo demonise woman speaking with mans voice!

Every population has morons, I said MOST NIGERIANS in my original post. The dumb and ignorant who are ready to believe anything superstitious or regarded as the "word of God" have already reduced the population intelligence to that of wild animals. Hence the ability of Nigerians to live in filth, poverty, ignorance, poverty, disease, corruption, lies, shallowness and still be rated as the happiest people on earth. >50 percent of Nigerians ought to be sterilised so that this reta*rded genes does not continue propagating.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 10:46pm On Dec 20, 2011
Do you believe demons are real?
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by EarsWide(m): 10:56pm On Dec 20, 2011
You guys dont argue with Jo Agbaje o - he can raise dead people smiley LOL
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by EarsWide(m): 10:57pm On Dec 20, 2011
@Jo 'I can raise the dead' Agbaje

Dont you find it too dark when your head is up Oyak's a** ? LOL
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by deadie(m): 11:05pm On Dec 20, 2011
Joagbaje:

Do you believe demons are real?

You truly deserve to be my nominee for the 2011 Darwin's award if you still can't figure after reading my posts.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 20, 2011
deadie:

You truly deserve to be my nominee for the 2011 Darwin's award if you still can't figure after reading my posts.

It gets better! The guy is also a "leader", so imagine what the followers are like.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by deadie(m): 11:24pm On Dec 20, 2011
Martian:

It gets better! The guy is also a "leader", so imagine what the followers are like.
smiley
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 11:32pm On Dec 20, 2011
^^^

The followers can cast demons out of you cool
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 12:15am On Dec 21, 2011
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by mabell: 12:29am On Dec 21, 2011
Who says demonic oppression is a Nigerian affair, it's a global problem

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yX8UF5QOTo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Joagbaje(m): 12:36am On Dec 21, 2011
Thanks ,Demonic activities are been denied in certain circles. Government don't usually give it recognise such. But that's one of the major reason for violence in those nations like the U.S where a young man can just take gun and kill innocent people in poradic shooting. They will excuse it away and give it a gigantic psychatric name.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by popoyeh(m): 2:01am On Dec 21, 2011
@ all sceptics.

Demons are for real, and I pray you never witness them in action.

I used to have attacks for as far back as I can remember, from my primary school days to even after I graduated from the university in 2008. From my dreams to a semi-conscious state on until I attain full consciousness, I will lie down on the bed and be unable to move even a finger. All my body will be very heavy as if a huge invisible weight is compressing me, I'll be unable to turn my head, unable to move a finger, unable to utter a word, I'll sometimes feel my mouth being drawn apart as if they are trying to tear it up (I always feel the physical pain when am released). There are times when I will find myself in a battle area and at first I'll be at the forefront of trying to escape, all of a sudden, I'll begin to slow down while still making laboured efforts to keep up and not be left behind, but eventually they would leave without me. Also, I used to dream and feel myself flying, it normally starts with me standing or walking along and gradually I'll begin to feel a slow breeze lift me off the ground into the air. I used to enjoy that as a child, until I started growing older and it began to get uncontrollable and it would attempt to carry me away or hang me on high tension wires.

All these came to an end in September 2009, when I rededicated my life to Christ. Please know that I have been a christian all my life, a member of the choir and one of the leading youths in my church from my teenage years, but what was missing was a personal relationship with my God and therefore the absence of the Holy Spirit.

In January 2010, I failed to see temptation for what it is and committed fornication. And lo and behold they came back, even if I have a short nap in the afternoon, I will be tormented. Not until I realised my folly by mid February 2010 and crept back to the Throne of Grace before I was finally liberated.

From then till now, nothing like tormenting again. Even as I'll finish writing this and go to bed, I am overconfident that I will sleep peacefully like a new born baby and wake up early in the morning raring to go because I carry a fire no demon, power, principality or witch nor wizard can contend with and also because it is written about me in Psalm 127 : 2 that "He giveth His beloved (me) sleep.

Beware, demons are for real.
*SHALOM*
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by Nobody: 2:25am On Dec 21, 2011
Joagbaje:

Thanks ,Demonic activities are been denied in certain circles. Government don't usually give it recognise such. But that's one of the major reason for violence in those nations like the U.S where a young man can just take gun and kill innocent people in poradic shooting. They will excuse it away and give it a gigantic psychatric name.

That's why the U.S has superpower status while you and other fundamentalist christians insist on maintaining a primitive world view in Nigeria.

If someone calls herself a witch over here and acts up, someone will call 911 and get her some help in a hospital. The same thing happens in Nigeria, she will be slapped, ridiculed and killed by people like you and you wonder why they refer to you has third world.

The reason why gun violence is prevalent in some areas of the U.S is because of the 2nd amendment and the economic conditions in those areas, not some ignorant notions about demons and other superstitious sh#t!
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by aribisala0(m): 3:06am On Dec 21, 2011
oyinbo woman speaking with man's voice 
Hmm what could be responsible?
she is acting?
she is crazy?
"she" is actually a man who looks like a woman?
It is not actually her voice we are hearing?
it is a film trick?
it is a scam?
there is a yet to be discovered explanation?

Don't be silly, of course it HAS TO BE DEMONS !!
my bad!!
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by plaetton: 3:55am On Dec 21, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Thanks for calling it as it is grin

My response is this video, which applies to black folk in Nigeria as much it applies to our kindred in the US.

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t7ySbrgT74?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

Hey brother, thanks a million for that video. there are too many young minds that need to see it. there is a joke that " if you want to hide something precious from a black , just hide it inside a book, because he will never go there".

deadie:

Hey bro, the plans are already in works. with our minds still besieged by invisible demons, you cant blame our space-faring felow homo sapiens if they want to be rid of us.
Check out this article from todays news.

U.S. asks journals to censor bird flu studies
By Julie Steenhuysen | Reuters – 5 hrs agoEmailShare4PrintRelated ContentA worker wearing a protection suit cull chickens at a poultry farm where the bird …
Politics slideshowsHundreds 'occupy' Congress
10 photos - Tue, Dec 6, 2011Exclusive: GOP operatives say back off Obama
The Ticket - Tue, Dec 6, 2011Mitt Romney on the campaign trail
75 photos - Mon, Dec 19, 2011See latest photos »CHICAGO (Reuters) -

A U.S. scientific advisory board on Tuesday asked two scientific journals to leave out data from research studies on a lab-made version of bird flu that could spread more easily to humans, fearing it could be used as a potential weapon.

The U.S. National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity has asked the journals Nature and Science to publish redacted versions of the studies by two research groups that reportedly created forms of the H5N1 avian flu that could easily jump between ferrets -- typically considered a sign that the virus could spread quickly among humans.

Both journals said in separate statements they are working with the advisory board and taking the matter seriously, but they chafed at the notion of scientific censorship.

The bird flu virus is extremely deadly in people who are directly exposed to infected birds, but so far, it has not mutated into a form that can pass easily from person to person.

According to the journals, two research labs have submitted papers showing how to make the virus more transmissible in humans, and the NSABB, an independent expert committee that advises the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies, wants to keep this information from falling into the wrong hands.

The articles involved work done by Yoshihiro Kawaoka, a University of Wisconsin-Madison scientist, and Dr. Ron Fouchier and colleagues from the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam.

The National Institutes of Health said in a statement the HHS agreed with the panel's assessment and provided the journals with non-binding recommendations to withhold key elements of the studies, but said the government is working out a system to allow secure access to the information to those with a legitimate need to see it.

The journals are objecting to the request, saying it would restrict public access to information that might advance the cause of public health.

"It is essential for public health that the full details of any scientific analysis of flu viruses be available to researchers," according to a statement issued by Dr. Philip Campbell, editor in chief of Nature.

"We are discussing with interested parties how, within the scenario recommended by NSABB, appropriate access to the scientific methods and data could be enabled."

Dr. Bruce Alberts, editor in chief of Science magazine, said in a statement the advisory board asked the journal to delete details on the scientific methods and specific mutations of the virus before publishing an article by Fouchier and colleagues.

"The NSABB has emphasized the need to prevent the details of the research from falling into the wrong hands," Alberts said in a statement.

He said many scientists who study influenza have a need to know the details of the research in order to protect the public. He said the editors at Science are evaluating how best to proceed.

"Our response will be heavily dependent upon the further steps taken by the U.S. government to set forth a written, transparent plan to ensure that any information that is omitted from the publication will be provided to all those responsible scientists who request it, as part of their legitimate efforts to improve public health and safety."

Other researchers said the mutations described in the papers were not unusual or unexpected, and several voiced concerned over government-imposed censorship on science.

"It is a very worrying idea that information from this type of work may be restricted to those that 'qualify' in some way to be allowed to share it," Professor Wendy Barclay, chairwoman in influenza virology at Imperial College London, said in an e-mailed statement.

"Who will qualify? How will this be decided? In the end is the likelihood of misuse outweighed by the danger of beginning a Big Brother society?"

- source- yahoo.com

It is quite obvious from this article that plans are in the works to weed out the undesirables from the human gene pool.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by plaetton: 3:58am On Dec 21, 2011
@Joagbaje:
Kindly enlighten us why demons have a prefered desire to only possess poor women and children, uneducated and mostly of African origin.
Re: Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss) by SisiKill1: 4:34am On Dec 21, 2011
popoyeh:

@ all sceptics.

Demons are for real, and I pray you never witness them in action.

I used to have attacks for as far back as I can remember, from my primary school days to even after I graduated from the university in 2008. From my dreams to a semi-conscious state on until I attain full consciousness, I will lie down on the bed and be unable to move even a finger. All my body will be very heavy as if a huge invisible weight is compressing me, I'll be unable to turn my head, unable to move a finger, unable to utter a word, I'll sometimes feel my mouth being drawn apart as if they are trying to tear it up (I always feel the physical pain when am released). There are times when I will find myself in a battle area and at first I'll be at the forefront of trying to escape, all of a sudden, I'll begin to slow down while still making laboured efforts to keep up and not be left behind, but eventually they would leave without me. Also, I used to dream and feel myself flying, it normally starts with me standing or walking along and gradually I'll begin to feel a slow breeze lift me off the ground into the air. I used to enjoy that as a child, until I started growing older and it began to get uncontrollable and it would attempt to carry  me away or hang me on high tension wires.

All these came to an end in September 2009, when I rededicated my life to Christ. Please know that I have been a christian all my life, a member of the choir and one of the leading youths in my church from my teenage years, but what was missing was a personal relationship with my God and therefore the absence of the Holy Spirit.

In January 2010, I failed to see temptation for what it is and committed fornication. And lo and behold they came back, even if I have a short nap in the afternoon, I will be tormented. Not until I realised my folly by mid February 2010 and crept back to the Throne of Grace before I was finally liberated.

From then till now, nothing like tormenting again. Even as I'll finish writing this and go to bed, I am overconfident that I will sleep peacefully like a new born baby and wake up early in the morning raring to go because I carry a fire no demon, power, principality or witch nor wizard can contend with and also because it is written about me in Psalm 127 : 2 that "He giveth His beloved (me) sleep.

Beware, demons are for real.
*SHALOM*

Contrary to the popular saying. . .Ignorance is NOT Bliss. angry angry angry

Demon possession or Sleep Disorder? I'll let you make up your own mind. . .keeping my fingers crossed that there are still some brain cells which hasn't been drowned by spiritual jargon.

[center]Sleep Paralysis - Awake but Still Asleep[/center]

A person may wake up and find himself unable to move or speak as if he is frozen. He also may hear footsteps, see a ghost-like creature, or feel someone sitting on his chest. Throughout the history, people considered this phenomenon as work done by evil spirits. However, the modern science can explain the terrifying event as a Sleep Paralysis.

A Sleep Paralysis is possibly a hereditary disorder in which one experiences very frightening seconds or minutes of total body paralysis with little respiration and eye movements

(1). A victim in this state feels awake, but he cannot move or speak

(2). In addition to the immobility, the common symptoms include feeling choked or suffocated, hearing strange noises like footsteps and voices, seeing beings or dark shadows, and feeling an existance of someone in the room . Although these symptoms often direct the victims to believe in ghosts, mistransmission of neural signals in the brain causes Sleep Paralysis. When a person sleeps, his brain sends signals to inhibit any muscle contraction

(3). If he comes into consciousness before the brain sends signals to activate muscle contraction, he cannot move his body, and consequently, become "paralyzed"

In order to understand how a body becomes paralyzed while the person is awake, it is necessary to understand sleep cycles.

In a mammalian sleep, the brain activity undergoes two different states called non-REM (NREM) sleep and REM sleep, which differ very much from wakefulness NREM and REM sleep alternate cyclically through the night; in human, about 80 minutes of NREM sleep starts a night of sleep, about 10 minutes of REM sleep follows, and this 90 minute cycle is repeated about 3 to 6 times during the night.

During NREM sleep, a body produces few movement, but the body has capability of tossing about in bed and producing some other motor events, such as sleepwalking and sleeptalking. The cardiac-muscle contraction and breathing occur at a uniform rate, and the eyes move slowly.

During REM sleep, on the other hand, heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure vary. The eyes move rapidly because most dreaming takes place in this period, and the sleeper probably "look" at the moving objects in a dream.

The brain's control over muscles during REM sleep points out that in this period, a body is normally in the state of total paralysis, called a "nonreciprocal flaccid paralysis". Probably to prevent a person from "acting out" a dream, the brain sends signals to inhibit any muscle contractions. Although some peripheral muscles, such as the muscles of the fingers and face, still twitch, the large skeletal muscles become relaxed, or "paralyzed" as a result.

Some evidence supports that the motor paralysis of REM sleep protect against the acting out of one's dreams. A patient who suffers from rare syndrome called REM Sleep Behavior Disorder lacks the normal nonreciprocal flaccid paralysis, and he acts out violent dreams during REM sleep, often with injurious consequences. For example, a 60-year-old surgeon dreamt that he was attacked "by criminals, terrorists, and monsters who always tried to kill [him]" and fighting against them in the nightmare, he was actually punching and kicking his wife who slept in the same bed

A nonreciprocal flaccid paralysis during REM sleep is accomplished actively by postsynaptic inhibition of motorneurons.  Although the exact process of motor inhibition is not clear, some neurotransmitters and hormones are known to generate the many components of REM sleep. Aministering physostigmine, an inhibitor of the catabolic enzyme, increases the concentration of acetylcholine within the neurons in the pons, making it possible to artificially generate and start REM sleep in the middle of NREM sleep.

Carbachol, the cholinergic agonist, produces a period of REM sleep in cat when directly injected into the pontine tegmentum. The hormone melatonin, a "master hormone" that mainly controls circadian rhythms, also seems to play an important role in enhancing the REM state; the level of melatonin secretion by the pineal gland reaches its lowest during REM sleep. 

Such neurotransmitters and hormones probably activate or inhibit the activity of second messengers, which then activate or inhibit the third messengers, and so on till the last messenger inhibit the synaptic transmission or cause hyperpolarization of the motorneurons. And if, for some reason, the nervous or endocrine system continues to release the neural inhibitors, a person may experience Sleep Paralysis as he enters awakefully into or awakens directly from REM period

While the modern neuroscience can describe the state of Sleep Paralysis as some errors of the neural transmission in the brain during REM sleep, a person who has seen or heard ghost-like figures/voices may easily believe that eveil spirits fully controlled his entire body. However, the images or noises, which the victim believes that he has seen or heard, are most likely hallucinations; and hallucinations, too, can result from the brain activity.

In the 1960's, the Canadian neurologist W.Penfield introduced that electrical stimulation of the temporal lobe can cause the auditory hallucinations in the wake state. The buzzing or ringing sounds in the ears and other auditory hallucinations are closely associated with the activity of the auditory cortex and involves the temporal lobe. During the early period of sleep paralysis, the activity of the temporal lobe increases significantly, sometimes inducing hallucinatory sense. Similarly, the visual cortex generates internal visual stimuli, causing the victim to "see" terrifying figures during the paralysis.

How an episode of Sleep Paralysis induces visual or auditory hallucinations is still not clear, but it seems to have a significant relationship with anxiety. For anxiety is a neurocognitive event closely related to both psychological and physical processes, the extreme anxiety or panic may cause the release of several different signal molecules that trigger all kinds of physical events. A person experiencing Sleep Paralysis feels mortal fear or extreme panic, and hence, the brain generates and releases internal visual or auditory stimuli, producing hallucinations.

Also, hallucinations during Sleep Paralysis may happen, for one keeps dreaming even after some parts of his brain wakes up directly from REM sleep. Since the nervous and endocrine systems continue to release the neural inhibitors which sustain the paralysis, it may be possible that those systems keep releasing the neural activators that stimulate dreaming. Thus, a person continues to "see" the images and "hear" the noises produced in the dream that he has just had in REM sleep from which he has awaken.

Click Here to read comments from fellow Sleep Paralysis Suffers.

Wikepedia is also a good resource. . .I'm sure you will find the bit about Nigerians were included in the study very helpful.

By the way explanation for your sudden recovery. . .ever heard of the phrase MIND OVER MATTER? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Demon ko, monde ni.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peaceful Debate Between Theists And Atheists Holds Here / What Is Your Personal Life Motto? / The Truth About God And Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.