Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF (12201 Views)

A Great Speech By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (the CBN Governor) / CBN's Sanusi The Holy Mallam In A Romantic Romp (sizzling Photo) / Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by hustla242: 2:21pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sagamite:

And so?

What has Islamic banking got to do with your life?

Why should he pander to the lunacy, illiteracy and ignorance of others over a very simple issue?

You think the avenue to bank in a way acceptable to the 50m+ Muslims of Nigeria's religious belief is not a pressing issue?

Explain to me the scenario and aims of the idea?

Then provide me with the options.

Who determines if money is to be disbursed to tiers of Government? The CBN governor?

Do you have any reports of SLS criminality?

1.  I don't think it was a pressing issue, and obviously the government didn't think it was or still is, which is why it's been shelved albeit temporarily. Right idea, wrong timing.

2.  You go into the Euro, buy 1/2 a billion dollars in Euro at time when the value of the Euro is going south. Options? Brazil, China (which they bought later on), Japan etc. The interest rates on these bonds alone can be better spent, ask Cote D'voire that had to renege on bond agreeements due to high interest rates.

3.  He doesn't determing if the money is to be disbursed to tiers of government but he determines how. Disburse it in dollar certs like we did until Yaradua came along, not changing into Naira and inflating the economy.

4. http://thestreetjournal.org/2011/10/face-of-a-fraud-how-cbn-governor-sanusi-lamido-sold-intercontinental-bank-to-his-friends/. You make what you want of it mate.

Please don't get me wrong, I give him a lot of credit for what he's done, he's dealt with some serious issue head-on, won various awards etc. I'm just not standing in awe of him as "the most intelligent" Nigerian alive.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by phreakabit(m): 2:21pm On Dec 21, 2011
maclatunji:

He is the most upright and bravest person in government as far as I am concerned and he is intelligent. Lagarde obviously hasn't measured the intelligence of every Nigerian so why do you want to hold her words as fact? She is just complimenting the guy.

We are watching SLS and who knows what the future holds for him. So far, he has done really well.

During you evaluation and analysis of his competence and work ethics. Did you consider how " STABLE" the Naira has been in the international market of late?
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by kulutempa: 2:22pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sagamite:

Knowing book is not intelligence. Ok?

Soludo is no where as intelligent as SLS.

Thank you Sagamite.  This is the main problem with Nigerians who equate a string of degrees and Phds with intelligence.   If that is the only thing that counts Nigeria would have been a superpower by now.  The simple fact of the matter is that our leaders lack common sense, and simple logic and it shows in their misplaced sense of priorities.  Only yesterday Jonathan Goodluck was applauding the fact that a satellite built for Nigeria by China was launched into space.  Yet this is a country where the electricity we generate is not even enough to power a small town in Europe.   In case you have forgotten, Jonathan Goodluck has a Phd.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
phreakabit:

Every opinion should have reasons backing them. . . . What is/are your reasons for saying:

1, SLS is a "Genius"

2, Soludo is no where as intelligent as SLS.

3,Soludo is a criminal. I know that personally. (Proof on this one particularly would be much obliged)

I have heard and read alot of Sanusi's opinions on issues. I am a critic and an intellectual elitist. I read every line and try and critic and I never find a hole. Just like I know a cretin when I see one, I know a member of the clerisy when I see one. Believe, there is hardly any better judge of that than me.

Soludo is a criminal. I know someone whose bread and butter is in contracts with the CBN. This person told me how Soludo and Olisa Agbakoba frequently inflated legal fees OUTRAGEOUSLY and shared it. This person is not bitter because (s)he was making there money in CBN so has no motive to.

If you are in a good position to make money in Nigeria (good salary, status and network) but yet risk all to be crooked, you are a fooool, not intelligent!
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by chakula: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sanusi is extremely intelligent, all you need to do is look at his writings and his career, we do not need an agent of doom like that woman to tell us what we already know. The people here attacking him are the usual suspects who can not stand an aboki being enlightened, as per his stance on boko haram and the rest, you need to just read his articles and you will see where he has taken on a lot of Muslim scholars in the north, the man is a muslim, he believes it is part of his person, but, he does not allow that to interfere in his professional life. I find it funny that we christians are talking about a muslim who is deeply religious when our president and the senate president can never make a speech without resorting to their own religion, we all need to know that Nigerians are religious by nature, even when they are fornicating they will still be calling Jesus or Allah or Sango.

well said especially the bolded part!
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by ib0221: 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2011
I don't know why we preoccupy ourself with religious bigotry and ethnic setiment.Sanusi can never be divorved from his religion and ethnic make-up as everyone alike including the self obsessed schists.That a man tries to adopt an economical idea does not make him revolutionist.As for the intelligent, I think anyone that has read his papers with certainly agree that he is surely.What I cannot fathom is the criteria in determining the best in the country. Largarde is only playing game and we should be careful
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by DrummaBoy(m): 3:06pm On Dec 21, 2011
I agree totally with kulutempa
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Jarus(m): 3:11pm On Dec 21, 2011
Google my article 'The Lamido Sanusi I didn't know' written far back June 2009, few days after he became CBN governor.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 3:12pm On Dec 21, 2011
hustla242:

1.  I don't think it was a pressing issue, and obviously the government didn't think it was or still is, which is why it's been shelved albeit temporarily. Right idea, wrong timing.

That is injustice. Injustice is never a good idea.

If you want to sallah or allahu akbar your money, that is your business, not mine. It does not disturb me and I should have no right to stop it.

hustla242:

2.  You go into the Euro, buy 1/2 a billion dollars in Euro at time when the value of the Euro is going south. Options? Brazil, China (which they bought later on), Japan etc. The interest rates on these bonds alone can be better spent, ask Cote D'voire that had to renege on bond agreeements due to high interest rates.

My understanding of free markets is securities can go up or down. Hindsight is not really an asset widely available in free markets.

So because the value was down you think it should not be bought? So what if after it was bought it shot up in value, what would you say?

How is that a schoolboy error?

hustla242:

3.  He doesn't determing if the money is to be disbursed to tiers of government but he determines how. Disburse it in dollar certs like we did until Yaradua came along, not changing into Naira and inflating the economy.

Will the state governments not convert to Naira themselves when they get it?

Is combined gross conversion not more profitable than individual smaller scale state conversion?

hustla242:

4. http://thestreetjournal.org/2011/10/face-of-a-fraud-how-cbn-governor-sanusi-lamido-sold-intercontinental-bank-to-his-friends/. You make what you want of it mate.

Please don't get me wrong, I give him a lot of credit for what he's done, he's dealt with some serious issue head-on, won various awards etc. I'm just not standing in awe of him as "the most intelligent" Nigerian alive.

Sorry, mate. I make nothing of unreliable, apocryphal rumours.

Worse still coming from an unknown source where the author is nameless.

Feel free to throw it back.

We had a group like this that have been attacking him from the word Go.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Jarus(m): 3:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
You may also google the following article for confessions on Sanusi:

Sanusi: Confessions of a stalker, by Pius Adesanmi 2009

I have read over 40 writings of the man, and I continue to do.

He may not be the most intelligent Nigerian, but undoubtedly one of the most intelligent Nigerians and arguably the most intelligent public officer we have ever heard.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by DrummaBoy(m): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
Hey Jarus
Paste that paper here. I'm limited on what I can browse on my phone. And that is with a "please!"
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by hustla242: 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sagamite:

That is injustice. Injustice is never a good idea.

If you want to sallah or allahu akbar your money, that is your business, not mine. It does not disturb me and I should have no right to stop it.

My understanding of free markets is securities can go up or down. Hindsight is not really an asset widely available in free markets.

So because the value was down you think it should not be bought? So what if after it was bought it shot up in value, what would you say?

How is that a schoolboy error?

Will the state governments not convert to Naira themselves when they get it?

Is combined gross conversion not more profitable than individual smaller scale state conversion?

Sorry, mate. I make nothing of unreliable, apocryphal rumours.

Worse still coming from an unknown source where the author is nameless.

Feel free to throw it back.

We had a group like this that have been attacking him from the word Go.

Well, I never said it was true,  same way an confirmed rumor from a nameless "sagamite" about Soludo's deals remain speculative at best.

"If" it shot up?? I'm not an economist but I would not for my life buy U.S or Euro bonds right now simply because there's a lot of uncertainty around those zones, that's common knowledge.

State governments don't have to convert it, they could pay for their infrastructural development in these dollar certs since most of the companies executing the projects are multinationals, it's been done before. So no, again don't need to be a genius.

Allow Islamic banking, like I said it's been shelved for now-  and that says a lot.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by olawalebabs(m): 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2011
DrummaBoy:

Hey Jarus
Paste that paper here. I'm limited on what I can browse on my phone. And that is with a "please!"
I met his mind in Vancouver sometime in the summer of 1998 and have stalked him ever since. Online that is! I was then doing research on representations of Islam in Nigerian popular culture. Sanusi Lamido Sanusi popped up on Google. The essay of his I read at the time was powerful enough to make me pursue his name further in more scholarly and restricted search engines. More essays of his popped up and I was hooked. I was also embarrassed that I had previously never heard of what, for me, was turning out to be one of Nigeria’s most powerful minds in public intellection and critical analysis of society. I have ‘stalked’ his mind consistently now for more than a decade.

Every intellectual worthy of that name is a stalker. There are names you throw frequently into your search engine to find out if they have written something new because you are convinced that every sentence they write is a must-read. Even when you disagree vehemently with them as it frequently happens, the power of their minds, their intimidating erudition, the sincerity of their convictions, and the beauty of their prose keep you coming back. I have a long list of Nigerian minds I stalk online but I’ll mention just four. I am sufficiently close to the first two to call them brothers: Odia Ofeimun, famous poet and former private secretary of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, and Professor Eghosa Osaghae, one of Nigeria’s most brilliant political scientists, currently Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University. Then there are Professor Adebayo Williams and Dr Arthur Agwuncha Nwankwo. Every sentence these four intellectuals write stays written and must be read. This is the cerebral company to which I welcomed Sanusi Lamido Sanusi after discovering his work eleven years ago.

Gamji.com obliged my new and expansive appetite for Sanusi’s work by regularly archiving his prolific output from 2001-2007. Then the uploads stopped. I sent several emails to his publicly advertised address, telling him that some minds are a collective property of the people, given to certain individuals to hold in trust. Such minds have no right to stop writing or making themselves available for public enlightenment. His is one such mind – it belongs to the Nigerian people - and he had no right to stop writing. I never got a response. Sadly, his writings have come in very irregular trickles ever since.

I must confess to a certain southern Nigerian arrogance in my initial, startled encounters with Sanusi’s mind. I am a student of 19th and 20th century European public intellectuals. Lamido Sanusi is not a student of those intellectuals like me: he is a master of their works. His essays are a compelling cerebral exercise in the works of such famous public intellectuals/philosophers as Michel Foucault, Umberto Eco, Isaiah Berlin, Antonio Gramsci, Jean-Paul Sartre, Raymond Aron, Bertrand Russell, and a host of others. He blends the thought of these men effortlessly with some of the most cosmopolitan references in Islamic scholarship. Part of my initial reaction was: who the heck is this Northerner (read: feudal conservative Muslim who shouldn’t know more than the Koran!) with such a compelling mastery of European – mostly atheistic – humanist philosophy? And then to discover that this great cosmopolitan mind comes from the purest of northern oligarchy: the son of a former emir of Kano! The more reason he ought to have turned out a bearded sharianist!

My initial attitude betrays a certain Nigerian problem: the recourse to comforting ethno-religious stereotypes and the unwillingness to move beyond them because we risk encountering evidence to the contrary. This explains some of the hostile reactions to news of his possible appointment as the Central Bank Governor. People who have never even read him have dismissed him as a “Taliban” who may Islamize the Central Bank. We are lucky they have not called him Maitatsine. Sanusi is not Ahmed Deedat please! He is not Sheikh Abubakar Gumi! He is not cut from the tribalistic myopia of a Mohamed Haruna. Sanusi’s extensive resume in the financial sector and academe is now being opportunistically reduced to and subsumed within his Islamic scholarship. Let’s reassure those who are not comfortable with that aspect of his profile that Islamic scholarship and philosophy have produced some of the best minds in global public intellection. My own personal development involves extensive reading in Islamic philosophy, especially those philosophers of the cosmopolitan mould. One reads Tariq Ramadan, Europe’s most influential Muslim intellectual, and Dr Tariq Ali, one of the most compelling leftist thinkers in the world today. Without Tariq Ali, the influential New Left Review would not be what it is today. With Tariq Ali, the world has come to understand that pan-Third World Leftist/Marxist activism and Islamic scholarship are not incompatible.

Furthermore, those of us in literature know that our sense of poetic aesthetics was not singularly shaped by Wordsworth, Milton, Pope, Pound, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Ungaretti, Octavio Paz, Pablo Neruda, and the African poets who emerged in European languages in the 20th century. No one can take Rumi, the great 13th century Persian poet and Islamic philosopher out of the equation when discussing the shaping of modern poetry. We read Rumi. The same argument applies to the novel. The fortune of the novel as a genre in the 20th century is not all about Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Carlos Fuentes, Chinua Achebe, Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Salman Rushdie, William Faulkner, Hemingway, and Kenzaburo Oe. It is also about the Egyptian Nobel laureate for literature, Naguib Mahfouz, and, most importantly, Abdelrahman Munif, the great Saudi novelist whose Cities of Salt quintet of novels is the most compelling account of the evolution of Saudi/Bedouin culture from tradition to the oil postmodernity of the West. Munif’s Cities of Salt is the Things Fall Apart of the Arab world and one of the most important novels of our times. In essence, wordsmiths from the Islamic world are not excluded from enriching and and extending the frontiers of modernist aesthetics.

We are so inclined to an instinctive dismissal of all things Islamic as retrogressive and murderously fundamentalist that folks prefer to remain in their blissful ignorance of Islam’s contributions to philosophy, knowledge, culture, and modernity and will not read in those directions to broaden their personal intellectual spheres. Admittedly, our brothers in the North have not helped matters, what with the enlightened ones among them doing zilch about the periodic mass murder of southerners in the North by crazy Islamic fanatics. For me, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s Islamic thought belongs in the illustrious cosmopolitan tradition I have summarized above. I locate him in the sensibilities of Abdelrahman Munif , Naguib Mahfouz and Tariq Ali. As far as I am concerned, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a thoroughgoing pan-Nigerian humanist and patriot who has had his occasional lapses into national stereotyping. But which Nigerian thinker is immune to such occasional lapses: Wole Soyinka? Chinua Achebe? Mathew Hassan Kukah? Pat Utomi? Reuben Abati?

There is considerable merit to the argument that his proposed appointment would complete the Northernization of Nigeria’s finance sector and damage the Federal character principle. But I’d rather have other less cerebrally gifted come-and-eat appointees removed in the Ministry of Finance to make way for balance than touch Lamido Sanusi’s appointment. After the considerable intellectual panache that Professor Charles Soludo brought to that office, it would be tragic to appoint a less gifted cerebral mind as his successor. If Soludo’s tenure is not renewed, Lamido Sanusi Lamido fits the bill. I welcome this possible appointment enthusiastically

1 Like

Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by cjfavour(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2011
if he's intelligent why couldn't he read the constitution and know that nigeria is a secular state b4 he started campaigning for islamic banking? I used to be his fan but he lost me when he started campaigning for that religious system of banking with %igeria money. I'm nt against islamic banking but for a CBN govnor to be championing it,and at that period didn't sound right. So whether IMF said dt or nt,he's not intelligent as far as he can't understand the dictates of d constitution.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by olawalebabs(m): 3:30pm On Dec 21, 2011
cjfavour:

if he's intelligent why couldn't he read the constitution and know that nigeria is a secular state b4 he started campaigning for islamic banking? I used to be his fan but he lost me when he started campaigning for that religious system of banking with %igeria money. I'm nt against islamic banking but for a CBN govnor to be championing it,and at that period didn't sound right. So whether IMF said dt or nt,he's not intelligent as far as he can't understand the dictates of d constitution.
He has defend every step he took since he become the governor, google his reasons for Islamic banking too, stop h*ting
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2011
hustla242:

Well, I never said it was true,  same way an confirmed rumor from a nameless "sagamite" about Soludo's deals remain speculative at best.

That is why I said: Feel free to throw it back.

I am very intelligent o, don't try it. cool

I personally believe my source because my source is DIRECT. I know the source closely and what they do in CBN and I am CLEAR there is no motive since they were making a killing from the CBN.

Don't compare that to some apocryphal and unknown source that post something on the net and I am suppose to believe it.

hustla242:

"If" it shot up?? I'm not an economist but I would not for my life buy U.S or Euro bonds right now simply because there's a lot of uncertainty around those zones, that's common knowledge.

There are people that would buy when things are rock bottom.

These people are by no means stated as making "schoolboy errors".

I believe it is common knowledge that buying undervalued securities is a money maker.

hustla242:

State governments don't have to convert it, they could pay for their infrastructural development in these dollar certs since most of the companies executing the projects are multinationals, it's been done before. So no, again don't need to be a genius.

Really?

Are you sure majority of their expenses is on infrastructure by multinationals?

I will bet it is on reccurring expenditures like salaries and contracts with local parties?

Am I wrong?
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 3:44pm On Dec 21, 2011
cjfavour:

You are a cretin!

Shut up and go and read your books!
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by cjfavour(m): 3:44pm On Dec 21, 2011
In a sane society,no reason is good enough for a public officer to go contrary to d dictates of d constitution.Maybe only in this animal fam called 9ja where foul is fair and fair is foul w/out prosecution as far as u belong to d right group.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Jarus(m): 3:47pm On Dec 21, 2011
cjfavour:

Shakes my head for this level of reasoning. If he has breached any constitutional provision, why has nobody sued him since?
And fyi, he did not start Islamic banking, it predated him. I have been reading CBN's moves to start Islamic banking in Nigeria far back 2007 and in fact the first guideline for IB was issued by Soludo.

Oya tell us another story.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by cjfavour(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2011
sagamite you can go on abusing urself bt can't force me to blieve you.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 3:50pm On Dec 21, 2011
cjfavour:

In a sane society,no reason is good enough for a public officer to go contrary to d dictates of d constitution.Maybe only in this animal fam called 9ja where foul is fair and fair is foul w/out prosecution as far as u belong to d right group.

You are a cretin!

How did he go against the constitution?

Foool! I thought I told you to go and read your books.

Product of a failed education system. Checking for facts is non-existence. Lets not even delve into the reasoning.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Jarus(m): 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2011
SANUSI: CONFESSIONS OF A STALKER
By Prof Pius Adesanmi, 2009

*I published this piece in my Sunday column in NEXT newspaper before Lamido’s appointment and subsequent confirmation. Some Villagers are still discussing Lamido and committing the same faux pas I analyze here. Hopefully, this should broaden their perspectives on the matter.

I met his mind in Vancouver sometime in the summer of 1998 and have stalked him ever since. Online that is! I was then doing research on representations of Islam in Nigerian popular culture. Sanusi Lamido Sanusi popped up on Google. The essay of his I read at the time was powerful enough to make me pursue his name further in more scholarly and restricted search engines. More essays of his popped up and I was hooked. I was also embarrassed that I had previously never heard of what, for me, was turning out to be one of Nigeria’s most powerful minds in public intellection and critical analysis of society. I have ‘stalked’ his mind consistently now for more than a decade.

Every intellectual worthy of that name is a stalker. There are names you throw frequently into your search engine to find out if they have written something new because you are convinced that every sentence they write is a must-read. Even when you disagree vehemently with them as it frequently happens, the power of their minds, their intimidating erudition, the sincerity of their convictions, and the beauty of their prose keep you coming back. I have a long list of Nigerian minds I stalk online but I’ll mention just four. I am sufficiently close to the first two to call them brothers: Odia Ofeimun, famous poet and former private secretary of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, and Professor Eghosa Osaghae, one of Nigeria’s most brilliant political scientists, currently Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University. Then there are Professor Adebayo Williams and Dr Arthur Agwuncha Nwankwo. Every sentence these four intellectuals write stays written and must be read. This is the cerebral company to which I welcomed Sanusi Lamido Sanusi after discovering his work eleven years ago.

Gamji.com obliged my new and expansive appetite for Sanusi’s work by regularly archiving his prolific output from 2001-2007. Then the uploads stopped. I sent several emails to his publicly advertised address, telling him that some minds are a collective property of the people, given to certain individuals to hold in trust. Such minds have no right to stop writing or making themselves available for public enlightenment. His is one such mind – it belongs to the Nigerian people - and he had no right to stop writing. I never got a response. Sadly, his writings have come in very irregular trickles ever since.

[b]I must confess to a certain southern Nigerian arrogance in my initial, startled encounters with Sanusi’s mind. I am a student of 19th and 20th century European public intellectuals. Lamido Sanusi is not a student of those intellectuals like me: he is a master of their works. His essays are a compelling cerebral exercise in the works of such famous public intellectuals/philosophers as Michel Foucault, Umberto Eco, Isaiah Berlin, Antonio Gramsci, Jean-Paul Sartre, Raymond Aron, Bertrand Russell, and a host of others. He blends the thought of these men effortlessly with some of the most cosmopolitan references in Islamic scholarship. Part of my initial reaction was: who the heck is this Northerner (read: feudal conservative Muslim who shouldn’t know more than the Koran!) with such a compelling mastery of European – mostly atheistic – humanist philosophy? And then to discover that this great cosmopolitan mind comes from the purest of northern oligarchy: the son of a former emir of Kano! The more reason he ought to have turned out a bearded sharianist! [/b]

My initial attitude betrays a certain Nigerian problem: the recourse to comforting ethno-religious stereotypes and the unwillingness to move beyond them because we risk encountering evidence to the contrary. This explains some of the hostile reactions to news of his possible appointment as the Central Bank Governor. People who have never even read him have dismissed him as a “Taliban” who may Islamize the Central Bank. We are lucky they have not called him Maitatsine. Sanusi is not Ahmed Deedat please! He is not Sheikh Abubakar Gumi! He is not cut from the tribalistic myopia of a Mohamed Haruna. Sanusi’s extensive resume in the financial sector and academe is now being opportunistically reduced to and subsumed within his Islamic scholarship. Let’s reassure those who are not comfortable with that aspect of his profile that Islamic scholarship and philosophy have produced some of the best minds in global public intellection. My own personal development involves extensive reading in Islamic philosophy, especially those philosophers of the cosmopolitan mould. One reads Tariq Ramadan, Europe’s most influential Muslim intellectual, and Dr Tariq Ali, one of the most compelling leftist thinkers in the world today. Without Tariq Ali, the influential New Left Review would not be what it is today. With Tariq Ali, the world has come to understand that pan-Third World Leftist/Marxist activism and Islamic scholarship are not incompatible.

Furthermore, those of us in literature know that our sense of poetic aesthetics was not singularly shaped by Wordsworth, Milton, Pope, Pound, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Ungaretti, Octavio Paz, Pablo Neruda, and the African poets who emerged in European languages in the 20th century. No one can take Rumi, the great 13th century Persian poet and Islamic philosopher out of the equation when discussing the shaping of modern poetry. We read Rumi. The same argument applies to the novel. The fortune of the novel as a genre in the 20th century is not all about Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Carlos Fuentes, Chinua Achebe, Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Salman Rushdie, William Faulkner, Hemingway, and Kenzaburo Oe. It is also about the Egyptian Nobel laureate for literature, Naguib Mahfouz, and, most importantly, Abdelrahman Munif, the great Saudi novelist whose Cities of Salt quintet of novels is the most compelling account of the evolution of Saudi/Bedouin culture from tradition to the oil postmodernity of the West. Munif’s Cities of Salt is the Things Fall Apart of the Arab world and one of the most important novels of our times. In essence, wordsmiths from the Islamic world are not excluded from enriching and and extending the frontiers of modernist aesthetics.

We are so inclined to an instinctive dismissal of all things Islamic as retrogressive and murderously fundamentalist that folks prefer to remain in their blissful ignorance of Islam’s contributions to philosophy, knowledge, culture, and modernity and will not read in those directions to broaden their personal intellectual spheres. Admittedly, our brothers in the North have not helped matters, what with the enlightened ones among them doing zilch about the periodic mass murder of southerners in the North by crazy Islamic fanatics. For me, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s Islamic thought belongs in the illustrious cosmopolitan tradition I have summarized above.  I locate him in the sensibilities of Abdelrahman Munif , Naguib Mahfouz and Tariq Ali. As far as I am concerned, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a thoroughgoing pan-Nigerian humanist and patriot who has had his occasional lapses into national stereotyping. But which Nigerian thinker is immune to such occasional lapses: Wole Soyinka? Chinua Achebe? Mathew Hassan Kukah? Pat Utomi? Reuben Abati?

There is considerable merit to the argument that his proposed appointment would complete the Northernization of Nigeria’s finance sector and damage the Federal character principle. But I’d rather have other less cerebrally gifted come-and-eat appointees removed in the Ministry of Finance to make way for balance than touch Lamido Sanusi’s appointment. After the considerable intellectual panache that Professor Charles Soludo brought to that office, it would be tragic to appoint a less gifted cerebral mind as his successor. If Soludo’s tenure is not renewed, Lamido Sanusi Lamido fits the bill. I welcome this possible appointment enthusiastically

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/pius-adesanmi/sanusi-lamido-sanusi-confessions-of-a-stalker.html
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Jarus(m): 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2011
I must confess to a certain southern Nigerian arrogance in my initial, startled encounters with Sanusi’s mind. I am a student of 19th and 20th century European public intellectuals. Lamido Sanusi is not a student of those intellectuals like me: he is a master of their works. His essays are a compelling cerebral exercise in the works of such famous public intellectuals/philosophers as Michel Foucault, Umberto Eco, Isaiah Berlin, Antonio Gramsci, Jean-Paul Sartre, Raymond Aron, Bertrand Russell, and a host of others. He blends the thought of these men effortlessly with some of the most cosmopolitan references in Islamic scholarship. Part of my initial reaction was: who the heck is this Northerner (read: feudal conservative Muslim who shouldn’t know more than the Koran!) with such a compelling mastery of European – mostly atheistic – humanist philosophy? And then to discover that this great cosmopolitan mind comes from the purest of northern oligarchy: the son of a former emir of Kano! The more reason he ought to have turned out a bearded sharianist!

Thanks Prof, for sincerely admitting this. That was my exact thought when I knew Sanusi - who the heck is this northerner?

But unfortunately, some Nairalanders, despite all the facts before them, have refused to come down from their horses and admit this 'northerner's' intelligence!!!
To them(like you and me before), only a Southerner can be intelligent!!!
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by hercules07: 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2011
@Jarus

Abeg no count me inside o, I be southerner and I acknowledge his brilliance. We know the usual suspects that are against the guy.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Jarus(m): 4:33pm On Dec 21, 2011
Thanks bros. Them=some nairalanders
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 4:40pm On Dec 21, 2011
Give me the post of CBN governor which comes with about N12m a year salary, free top notch accommodation, official cars, crazy allowances and unbelievable networks in one of the World's most pregnant economies, why would I need to be corrupt? Why would I risk all that if I had a brain in my head?

Any intelligent person would realise they do not need to be corrupt and they can make a killing from consulting, IB advisory, public speaking and chairmanship of local operations of multinationals using their knowledge and networks.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by kulutempa: 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sagamite:

Give me the post of CBN governor which comes with about N12m a year salary, free top notch accommodation, official cars, crazy allowances and unbelievable networks in one of the World's most pregnant economies, why would I need to be corrupt? Why would I risk all that if I had a brain in my head?

Any intelligent person would realise they do not need to be corrupt and they can make a killing from consulting, IB advisory, public speaking and chairmanship of local operations of multinationals using their knowledge and networks.

Sagamite you are right on the one hand, and wrong on the other. The reason why you are wrong, is that when intelligence and greed fight in Nigeria, the winner is seldom in doubt. Greed usually trumps intelligence in Nigerian leaders which is why the country is in such a mess.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by hustla242: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2011
Sagamite:

That is why I said: Feel free to throw it back.

I am very intelligent o, don't try it. cool

I personally believe my source because my source is DIRECT. I know the source closely and what they do in CBN and I am CLEAR there is no motive since they were making a killing from the CBN.

Don't compare that to some apocryphal and unknown source that post something on the net and I am suppose to believe it.

There are people that would buy when things are rock bottom.

These people are by no means stated as making "schoolboy errors".

I believe it is common knowledge that buying undervalued securities is a money maker.

Really?

Are you sure majority of their expenses is on infrastructure by multinationals?

I will bet it is on reccurring expenditures like salaries and contracts with local parties?

Am I wrong?

I'm not disputing your intellectual prowess although you don't need to go about telling people you're intelligent. Let people deduce that from your words and actions. Your "sources" against Soludo are no better than mine mate, if they were, Soludo would be in court now. So it remains subjective- let's leave that.

Buying undervalued securities is a money-maker if you're buying strategically, so know when you're getting in, when you're getting out etc. Euro countries are loosing their AAA ratings left and right, the Euro crisis might possibly end up in a break-up of the Euro zone which would devastating to those bonds. There were much better options, and they did the right thing in the end by investing in the Chinese.

On the capital vs. recurrent expenditure- take a snapshot of Lagos' 2012 budget (a microcosm of Nigeria), and the capital indeed exceeds the recurrent budget. Even if it didn't, we are net importers, most local contractors import their goods, most states have  foreign debts- dollar certificates would resolve these issues and stem inflation, interest rates and reduce the burden on the populace.

I'm not against SLS cause of any ethnocentric B.S, I'm the same person that'll tell you Aganga made a mess of his job as Finance Minister. Again, I'm not saying I can do better than him but calling him the "most intelligent" Nigerian is just far-fetched.
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2011
hustla242:

Your "sources" against Soludo are no better than mine mate, if they were, Soludo would be in court now. So it remains subjective- let's leave that.

My source is more reliable to me than your source is reliable to you.

A direct source is more useful than an anonymous, faceless online source.

Mine is better.

hustla242:

Buying undervalued securities is a money-maker if you're buying strategically, so know when you're getting in, when you're getting out etc. Euro countries are loosing their AAA ratings left and right, the Euro crisis might possibly end up in a break-up of the Euro zone which would devastating to those bonds. There were much better options, and they did the right thing in the end by investing in the Chinese.

Drop in AAA rating is hindsight. I am sure you were not saying that 2 months ago when they bought the securities. Even the industry experts were not saying that.

More importantly, Euro countries are not losing the AAA ratings left and right. I dare say none has. You are just projecting the fears you hear to back up your hindsight. Things I am sure you never said 2 months ago. Such are not valid arguments.

In economics you try and assess the future, you don't predict it.

There was no schoolboy error here, it is merely an assessment that did not meet expectations. It happens the best and most intelligent worldwide.

hustla242:

On the capital vs. recurrent expenditure- take a snapshot of Lagos' 2012 budget (a microcosm of Nigeria), and the capital indeed exceeds the recurrent budget. Even if it didn't, we are net importers, most local contractors import their goods, most states have  foreign debts- dollar certificates would resolve these issues and stem inflation, interest rates and reduce the burden on the populace.

What proportion of the funds did Lagos get?

What proportion of States in Nigeria have capital requirements that exceed recurrent budgets?

Are you saying state governments should pay local contractors in dollars?

hustla242:

I'm not against SLS cause of any ethnocentric B.S, I'm the same person that'll tell you Aganga made a mess of his job as Finance Minister. Again, I'm not saying I can do better than him but calling him the "most intelligent" Nigerian is just far-fetched.

As I earlier qualified it, he is the most intelligent of the public figures I have seen.

Obviously Lagarde is wrong as she has never met me. [Straight face]
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by wisepluto(m): 8:33pm On Dec 21, 2011
God forbid!!!
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by realchange: 8:50pm On Dec 21, 2011
did sanusi obtain a first class in anything at uni?
did sanusi emerge the best student at any time?
did sanusi even obtain a ph.d?

comparing sanusi and soludo is like comparing wole soyinka with owei lakemfa!
Re: Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF by Sagamite(m): 8:54pm On Dec 21, 2011
realchange:

did sanusi obtain a first class in anything at uni?
did sanusi emerge the best student at any time?
did sanusi even obtain a ph.d?

comparing sanusi and soludo is like comparing wole soyinka with owei lakemfa!

You are dumb for thinking education = intelligence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tinubu Media Office Warns Against Foul Media Reports / PDP Candidate, Obaze Casts His Vote (Photos) / Shutdown Of Terminal Jetty: BUA Replies NPA With Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.