Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,922 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (13594 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic. / Why Are Nigerians So Funny? / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by DisGuy: 7:06pm On Oct 31, 2008
and why do some people think its cool to be anti Yoruba but not cool to be anti Igbo?

Can someone explain this puzzle.

Anytime there's an anti Yoruba thread some folks feel happy, but when the shoe is on the other foot, then it becomes persecution. Are Yorubas supposed to like being badmouthed?

cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ikeyman00(m): 9:48am On Nov 01, 2008

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic?
« #224 on: Yesterday at 07:06:22 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and why do some people think its cool to be anti Yoruba but not cool to be anti Igbo?

Can someone explain this puzzle.

Anytime there's an anti Yoruba thread some folks feel happy, but when the shoe is on the other foot, then it becomes persecution. Are Yorubas supposed to like being badmouthed?

i[b]nterestingly[/b]
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Thor(m): 9:50am On Nov 01, 2008
Because in reality, there is not such a thing as a Nigerian, it is just a name used to describe a collective group of tribes smiley smiley smiley

The word 'Nigerian' is loathed the world over. It would surely be better to say you were a Yorubian or Igboian than to tell people your are a Nigerian?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ikeyman00(m): 9:56am On Nov 01, 2008
but there is something like africa right to describe group of people right, so why nigeria is be eluded?

if u cant fix it, dnt break it

nigeria is here 4 life!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by lucabrasi(m): 11:56am On Nov 01, 2008
nigerians are tribalistic because of lor lugard and his cronies divide and conquer tactics,in a situation where you put the less educated and fewer tribe overthe majority who are more educated,its a recipe for chaos, while not hating on the hausas its clear that even till now they are still far behind the ibos and hausas the 2 other major tribes educationally,financially e.t.c how much more almost fifty years ago?
this lead directly or indirectly to the biafran war which have promoted deep ethnophobia and wounds which will take a very long while to heal, the political leaders we have now using the script of the "white masters"promoting tribalism to suit their purposes have also not helped integration e.gibori who is cleary a thief saying he was being persecuted because he is niger delta,same as alams saying same thing,aborishade who normally in a proper society should own up saying he is being persecuted because of being yoruba/obj's friend, the arewa saying same thing,orji uzor kalu whipping up tribal sentiments instead of facing up to efcc, the list is endless
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 5:15pm On Nov 01, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by Gamine(f): 6:01pm On Nov 01, 2008
Tribalism oh well,

Tribal stereotypes i fear, will never go away

My mum was telling us how the dude working for my dad had been cheating him

and he finally met his waterloo today cheesy

Anyways, my cousin after awhile asked

Mummy what tribe?

Igbo she replies.

YEEEEEEE!!!! they all screamed

igbo eh, igbo and money, it went on and on.

i just shook my head, i fear tribal stereotyping will end.

The other day i was out with some Igbo guys,

in an open air joint, some dude starts to talk so loud, i guess he was drunk, on the way to his car.

Aah Yoruba people eh, one of the guys say,

im like, How do you know he is Yoruba??

he said he saw his face, i was like

he continued, Aah Yoruba people are too loud

Till Jesus Comes, this will not go away.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by laudate: 1:31am On Sep 11, 2015
Na wah o! I miss the old Nairaland!! Where have all the wise, cultured, intelligent, open-minded posters gone?? shocked shocked
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by nairalanda1(m): 6:22am On Jul 15, 2023
laudate:
Na wah o! I miss the old Nairaland!! Where have all the wise, cultured, intelligent, open-minded posters gone?? shocked shocked

The internet space was limited back then to Nigerians living overseas, and highly educated Nigerians.

Back then, most folks did not have access to the internet in this country. No home internet, and the only internet access for most was the internet cafe which cost money.

Eventually, MTN and ECONET and glo expanded internet services for all
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by nairalanda1(m): 6:23am On Jul 15, 2023
Seun:

I don't see myself as a "Nigerian". I see myself as a human being first, man second, and entrepreneur third. wink

Hmm, wonder how Oga seun sees himself now..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by laudate: 3:09am On Jul 16, 2023
nairalanda1:

The internet space was limited back then to Nigerians living overseas, and highly educated Nigerians.

Back then, most folks did not have access to the internet in this country. No home internet, and the only internet access for most was the internet cafe which cost money.

Eventually, MTN and ECONET and glo expanded internet services for all

Is that what you think, or what you know? Because you just joined Nairaland in 2023.

Those who were already here from 2005 and beyond, would not see it that way. Many of them were based in Nigeria.

And Glo, Econet, MTN etc started in early 2001. So people had internet access back then through laptops, desktops, cybercafes etc.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by nairalanda1(m): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2023
laudate:

Is that what you think, or what you know? Because you just joined Nairaland in 2023.

Those who were already here from 2005 and beyond, would not see it that way. Many of them were based in Nigeria.

And Glo, Econet, MTN etc started in early 2001. So people had internet access back then through laptops, desktops, cybercafes etc.

Yeah, may be wrong...but it wasn't as widespread as it is now

For instance, most people did not have internet access through their phones, and most did not have access via laptops at home even as far back as 2003/4/5.

I think it was from 08 that things began changing. Internet access is much better than it was in 2005 these days.

But then again, I might be wrong.

Modified

To reiterate my point

Internet usage in Nigeria as at 2005: 3.5% of the population
Internet usage in 2008: 8.0%
2010:11.5
2012:16.1
2022: 40-50%

Again, in 2005, most phones in Nigeria were not internet compliant. Now, they are to a large extent. Also, internet spaces were in 2005 limited to educatonal instutions, and research institutes, outside that, internet cafes (where time to browse was limited by how much one could spend).

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Somali Traditional Dress And Attire / Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.