Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (13596 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic. / Why Are Nigerians So Funny? / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:55am On Oct 14, 2008
Based off what adeniyi83 said, it would seem to be an open and shut case, but with life, most things are not open and shut, especially when they deal with human beings.

As for him saying he heard her say that she doesn't want to associate with him because he's Yoruba. . . I don't remember adeniyi83 ever making that statement. He said that he overheard her tell another Igbo that she didn't know he was Yoruba. That still isn't enough to pass full judgement on the situation. We can make assumptions, but we cannot pass judgement.

Does it really seem that I'm getting hot under the collar? I'm really not worked up over the issue. I just want to see the topic and some of the words being used defined so that the discussion can have some structure. Oh well.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by KarmaMod(f): 2:04am On Oct 14, 2008
why would she even bring up his tribe if she didnt have a problem with it
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 2:26am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by skywalk: 2:30am On Oct 14, 2008
@ laudate, Birom is frm plateau state nd nt frm Benue.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by skywalk: 2:30am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:09am On Oct 14, 2008
KarmaMod: I'll just refer you to my previous posts in this topic and the example of me in that same context. Please, read what I posted carefully and think about adeniyi83's first post.

tpia: I don't argue just for arguing sake. Everyone that knows me well knows that I avoid quarrels. I only state a possible explanation and then ask questions to gain a better understanding of the situation. It is people that then start arguing with me and never answer my questions. Tpia, you're starting to argue with me when all I initially asked for was just for people to define the words that they were using (ie. Tribalism). You didn't define that. Even moreso, you jump to explain my mindset saying that I put others down, when I've already defined my mindset and no where did I say I put other tribes down. If you read my posts carefully, you would have seen where I stated that I don't agree with the incorrectness of what people do in the name of tribalism. Yes, you're also correct in that I see nothing wrong with tribalism. And again, I see something wrong in the things that people do in the name of tribalism. That doesn't mean that tribalism is a bad social institution. As for your question about misundertanding the incident. . . I'll just refer you to the statement I made about adeniyi83 giving little to no background information (ie. more info about how she related with him before they started getting close, how close did they get, how she related with him afterward, etc.). If you read my posts. I'm really not arguing anything. I'm actually just giving a possible explanation and asking questions. That's all really.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:11am On Oct 14, 2008
@ Chinenye: I dont think he needed to wait for the lady to slap him before getting the point.

It surely cant get any clearer than it already is. undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by KarmaMod(f): 3:14am On Oct 14, 2008
Your example didnt fit this situation

You wnet on about how you have certain people you are close with yada yada and leaving them when you "no longger need their services"

what does that have to do with someone suddenly keeping you at arm's length upon learning your tribe?

It's one thing for you to ask question, it's another for you to gave lame excuses and examples
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 3:23am On Oct 14, 2008
karma I've told you to stop arguing too much with Igbo girls.
You'll surely end up with an Igbo man.
I 've been saying this.
You may be fighting with your future sister in law here o
and then we'll show you pepper grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 3:26am On Oct 14, 2008
skywalk:

karma you see wetin I see?
Tpia = Laudate.
no wonder,same subtle anti Igboness.

I also suspect Quotasystem is nine to five
The same fights between laudate and nine to five are continuing between tpia and quotasystem.
Mostly unprovoked from both sides
nairalanders and multiple personalities
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:27am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by KarmaMod(f): 3:28am On Oct 14, 2008
osisi hush. laudate was never anti Igbo

Tpia o. Laudate o. Love em both  grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:30am On Oct 14, 2008
and why do some people think its cool to be anti Yoruba but not cool to be anti Igbo?

Can someone explain this puzzle.

Anytime there's an anti Yoruba thread some folks feel happy, but when the shoe is on the other foot, then it becomes persecution.  Are Yorubas supposed to like being badmouthed?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 3:37am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

and why do some people think its cool to be anti Yoruba but not cool to be anti Igbo?

Can someone explain this puzzle.

Anytime there's an anti Yoruba thread some folks feel happy, but when the shoe is on the other foot, then it becomes persecution. Are Yorubas supposed to like being badmouthed?

are you asking me?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 3:39am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

Queenisha- you sound like you urgently need a vacation.

Seriously, you're getting paranoid. undecided

Now I'm Laudate, Texcee, Arnold, arnolinda, and lord knows who else?

Quotasystem is not ninetofive. They don't sound the same. Who knows- you yourself could also be Quotasystem.

did you hear me say you were any of the above except laudate?
I merely commented on aloy.emeka's assertion.
you are laudate
that one I'm sure of.
and I'm not alone
someone just called you laudate just like many
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:42am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:48am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

@ Chinenye: I don't think he needed to wait for the lady to slap him before getting the point.

It surely can't get any clearer than it already is. undecided

Actually, tpia, it can because there's little to no background information, and adeniyi83's account seems very selective. You've all put the girl and the issue of tribalism [when it seems it should be prejudice instead] on trail without properly hearing the situational evidence. It's really unfortunate. You're all asking the same questions over and over again and I'm answering you all with the same answers over and over again. I guess I've already made my contribution to this topic by asking for terms to be defined and for the situation to be elaborated on. People won't even do that. I was really hoping that this discussion would have gone somewhere. I'm really interested in the topic and people's thoughts on it. Oh well. I'm done here, unless there is something that is addressed directly at me. Otherwise, I'll only be watching the thread.

And KarmaMod, please read again and really think this time about what I posted. If you need to, draw a diagram with the example I gave. Maybe that may help.

Thank you all for your time.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:48am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 3:50am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

was your name on my post?

Trying to be smart eh?
you know I'm smarter than all your usernames combined grin

which other user ids of mine did you uncover?  Since you're on a paranoic binge, might as well go the whole hog.

look at this olodo.
couldn't you see the quote you posted there was referring to babelove as militia and just included other posters including yourself.
are you that  lipsrsealed?

and why are you shouting aloy-emeka everywhere as if you want to date the guy? Did he say I'm his go-between?
look at this person O
and you call me paranoid when ya own is frank madness.
craze
the one wy Yorubas dey call " WERE"
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:51am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:52am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by KarmaMod(f): 3:52am On Oct 14, 2008
Chinyere, come up with an example that makes sense next time.

Thanks
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 3:52am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

of course you're not alone. Your kinsman Aloy-emeka has provided the proof you need, that Tpia is laudate, Texcee, Arnold1, and any other detractor of yours on nairaland.

@ bolded: did you not call me texcee and arnold on another thread?

Hmm
and you call people tribalists?
you don dey metarmorphose small small
like butterfly
where you dey now?
larva abi pupa stage
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:58am On Oct 14, 2008
make i siddon dey watch Babyosisi reincarnate.

As usual, religion vanishes like a puff of smoke.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:06am On Oct 14, 2008
KarmaMod:

Chinyere, come up with an example that makes sense next time.

Would you mind telling me which parts of my example(s) didn't make sense so that next time I will be able to ajust accordingly?

Thank you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by plusQueen: 4:07am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

I don't have religion.
And I mean it from the depths of my heart.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by KarmaMod(f): 4:39am On Oct 14, 2008
ChinenyeN:

Would you mind telling me which parts of my example(s) didn't make sense so that next time I will be able to ajust accordingly?

Thank you.

Too busy drawing a "diagram"
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by DeepZone: 5:38am On Oct 14, 2008
shocked shocked
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:14pm On Oct 14, 2008
KarmaMod:

Too busy drawing a "diagram"

. . .
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by tpia: 3:20pm On Oct 14, 2008
thread title:

WHY ARE NIGERIANS SO TRIBALISTIC

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by ezeagu(m): 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2008
History
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? by DisGuy: 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2008
tpia:

its a two way thing for some
when it come to tribalism > religion vanishes
when it comes to religion > tribalism vanishes

kinda interesting though cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? / Somali Traditional Dress And Attire / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.