Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:33 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (112) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1720226 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (2277) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 6:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
Roland17:

The argument here is not if CP3 is a good defender, coz yes he is but a better defender than Rondo from the point guard position? it's a big NO, heellll no, we are not even talking about Paul's turn over ration which is horrendous to be kind.

CP3 played with Peja Stojakovic ( do u need his numbers and stats?) David West, Tyson Chandler, Trevor Ariza, Marco Belinelli these guys were at the peak of their games, I am in no way comparing their roaster to that of the big three, but during an era when the Eastern Conference dominated the league when it came to win percentages, the you have to tell me something else.

If CP3 moved to the Lakers, would Howard have stayed back? The obvious answer is a No, would he cope with Kobe leading the offense while he takes the back seat? Would we have seen the best of CP3.

Would I love to see Rondo in purple and Gold? Well I think that would be a better fit for him, especially since Kobe is hitting the tail end of his career.
CP3 has more first nba all defensive team more than Rondo of course paul his better. Rondo has been coasting on his defensive prowess and he recently admitted that he hasn't played defence in awhile.
The reaction of the league to the Chris paul trade makes my point,forget Chemistry issues any one of this star studded team think Miami and now cleveland went through the normal growing pains before winning the same would have happened in LA
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 10:25pm On Apr 10, 2015
Decale:

Considering he didn't play 18 fourth quarter games this season and limited to less than 6 fourth quarter minutes in more than half of the team's win stats makes the feat even more impressive

Obviously, these last 4 games could put to bed who will win the MVP title between The Beard and The Chef

That's just how good that kid is.....whoever wins the MVP between them is all good for the game
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:33am On Apr 11, 2015
Roland17:

The argument here is not if CP3 is a good defender, coz yes he is but a better defender than Rondo from the point guard position? it's a big NO, heellll no, we are not even talking about Paul's turn over ration which is horrendous to be kind.

CP3 played with Peja Stojakovic ( do u need his numbers and stats?) David West, Tyson Chandler, Trevor Ariza, Marco Belinelli these guys were at the peak of their games, I am in no way comparing their roaster to that of the big three, but during an era when the Eastern Conference dominated the league when it came to win percentages, the you have to tell me something else.

2014/2015

Assists Turnover per game
Chris Paul 10.2 2.4

Rajon Rondo 7.9 3.1

So what are you talking about chale?

Peja Stojakovic was at least 2 years past his prime when he joined the Hornets, Chandler was a nobody and Bellinelli would not make the top 100 players in the league. The only player close to elite on that team was David West and worse they were in the same division with the Mavs, Spurs and Rockets

When you talk about dominating in win percentages I just laugh because you are blowing grammar! Is it not the same Eastern conference where teams with less than 40 wins were making the playoffs?
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:03am On Apr 11, 2015
Roland17:

Neither can CP3 carry a franchise to the promise land as proven with New Orleans and now the Clippers, the current Clippers roaster is way younger and more talented than the roaster Rondo guarded to the championship and two consecutive eastern conference appearances and that includes the coaching crew, also considering their mobile and modern style of game where defense is near absent, the Clippers have always disappointed, CP3 might have the generally accepted leadership persona

With Kobe's Lakers, Spurs, Nowitzki's Mavs which promise land do you expect CP3 to lead the Hornets or Clippers to?
We are talking about 3 teams with 6 championships between them and you are talking about a weak and extremely rubbish Eastern conference where teams with waaaaay less than .500 routinely make the playoffs

Roland17:

but it has not translated on the court, how about his turn over numbers?

www.nba.com/clippers/chris-paul-historic-pace-handling-ball

Chillax and stop repeating this fabu! Chris Paul is one of the most efficient point guards in the history of the game, far more efficient than Rondo and there are facts to back it up

Roland17:

Rondo is a pure leader, depending on who is been led, the reason Ray Allen left the Garden is cos Rondo's leadership style was different not necessarily about losing his place to Bradley, it assertive and direct, while the arguments about his jumpers and poor freethrows are valid, he rewarded and justified his play with incredible assist numbers, defense and of course triple doubles, he is a PURE point guard he was raised that way from high school, he is more interested in getting assists and I disagree with the notion that he is not crunch time player, did you read the paragraphs in the article where he torched different teams during the playoffs?
Why Allen left the Celts is immaterial. What is obvious is how the Celtics faded to irrelevance after the big 3 left, even Rondo bolted knowing fully well that even in a weak Eastern Conference he simply cannot carry the load and make the Celts even remotely competitive.

Roland17:

Obviously Rondo's defense play has nosedived and that is where my fear stems from, I fear he has lost interest in the game, on a good night can you argue CP3 is a better defender than Rondo? Heelllllll no!!! apart from Russell Westbrooks pressure defense from the point guard position I doubt there is a better and more intelligent defender in the point guard position than Rondo and that includes steals.

[quote author=Roland17 post=32542668]
I love CP3 but in comparison to what Rondo has achieved based on team played at the peak of their career, Rondo dusts CP3 to the ground, the numbers are not even close.
Rondo was a passenger on the Celtics championship team. He was probably the 4th or most likely 5th important player on the team. The only thing he has over CP3 is his ring but asides that CP is the better point guard

Roland17:

Don't construe my argument though, I agree he has been a disappointment with Dallas, I doubt it's a good fit for him considering the Mavericks don't necessarily need a star point guard to get points or win games, Monta Ellis, Dirk, Chandler Parsons et al are all pure shooters, Rondo's presence on the court slows Dallas's offense and limits touches for the others, it only benefits Chandler or any Center available on the night, it is a bad mix up if you ask me.
Rondo has played badly individually. hurting every part of the offense and not even playing good enough defense to mitigate that, what's worse he thinks he knows more than the coach yet after 9 years in the league he still doesn't have a jumper! and because injuries have hurt his ability to get to the rim he is now an offensive liability.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 3:10am On Apr 11, 2015
Interesting game
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:48am On Apr 11, 2015
Roland17:

Whose fault is it that Cuban and the Mavs did not scout their roaster needs properly before getting Rondo, there is absolutely no way Rondo would succeed with the Mavs except he is on the bench, the Mavs don't need a ball hugging pure PG who commands and directs the pace of the game like Rondo, the first team is way too mobile as every player wants to touch the ball, they are all pure shooters in their own rights, so mixing Rondo with them would only be detrimental to their game, the Mavs are no longer a half court team, they are not the Grizzlies or Bulls that depend solely on the activities of the PG to spread the ball.

Rondo is a fit for this team. Carlisle's system is the same, the same one that made an old JKidd with questionable shot but good passing shine. In fact the one ring they won literally boiled down to Jkidd outsmarting LeBron and taking a half court charge at the end of a pivotal playoff game. Thats exactly Rondo's skill set, except he is even younger.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:58am On Apr 11, 2015
A40:

2014/2015

Assists Turnover per game
Chris Paul 10.2 2.4

Rajon Rondo 7.9 3.1

So what are you talking about chale?

Peja Stojakovic was at least 2 years past his prime when he joined the Hornets, Chandler was a nobody and Bellinelli would not make the top 100 players in the league. The only player close to elite on that team was David West and worse they were in the same division with the Mavs, Spurs and Rockets

When you talk about dominating in win percentages I just laugh because you are blowing grammar! Is it not the same Eastern conference where teams with less than 40 wins were making the playoffs?

This is the difference in argument, we both agree Rondo has been very poor since his move to the Mavs and his last 2 seasons with the Celtics when he was practically injured for an entire season, so there is no justification to use the numbers from this season to compare.

As rigorous as theWestern conference is today, comparing the array of stars in the Clippers roaster you expect them to make it past the first round since the gathering of the stars, heck Portland made it to the second round on the back of L. Aldridge and Lillard.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 5:52am On Apr 11, 2015
Hehehehe

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 4:02am On Apr 12, 2015
Mynd44:
Hehehehe

lmao...we shall see come playoffs. we shall see
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 5:08am On Apr 12, 2015
birdman:

lmao...we shall see come playoffs. we shall see
We shall really see grin
Re: The NBA Begins by joephemzyz(m): 3:08pm On Apr 12, 2015
What's up gentlemen grin
Roland n co..........I enjoyed reading y'alls posts abt d celts n rondo!......
Does anyone here knw isaiah thomas........celtics new wonder kid
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:01pm On Apr 13, 2015
Looks like OKC might not make it. Westbrook might be banned for 1 game. Dude taking too many shots! 43 is too much

Spurs 12 wins in a row now. They look like a sure banker for 2nd seed

Roland17:

This is the difference in argument, we both agree Rondo has been very poor since his move to the Mavs and his last 2 seasons with the Celtics when he was practically injured for an entire season, so there is no justification to use the numbers from this season to compare.

As rigorous as theWestern conference is today, comparing the array of stars in the Clippers roaster you expect them to make it past the first round since the gathering of the stars, heck Portland made it to the second round on the back of L. Aldridge and Lillard.

Chris Paul takes care of the ball way better than Rondo. Its not even debatable and that I had to highlight for you when you went on and on about his 'turnovers'. Chris Paul is the most efficient PG in the league. QED

Well they have been past the first round multiple times losing twice to teams that eventually won the conference (OKC, Spurs) no shame in that

Rondo in a weaker Eastern conference could not even lead the Celts to the playoffs once the big Three declined and left. He came to the Mavs and from 5th seed they have dropped to 7th seed
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 6:19pm On Apr 13, 2015
The technical was rescinded

But Westbrook needs to involve his guys. He's playing Kobe 2.0 early this season. He got Kanter and Morrow but not making good use of them
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 7:05pm On Apr 13, 2015
A40:
Looks like OKC might not make it. Westbrook might be banned for 1 game. Dude taking too many shots! 43 is too much

Spurs 12 wins in a row now. They look like a sure banker for 2nd seed

Chris Paul takes care of the ball way better than Rondo. Its not even debatable and that I had to highlight for you when you went on and on about his 'turnovers'. Chris Paul is the most efficient PG in the league. QED

Well they have been past the first round multiple times losing twice to teams that eventually won the conference (OKC, Spurs) no shame in that

Rondo in a weaker Eastern conference could not even lead the Celts to the playoffs once the big Three declined and left. He came to the Mavs and from 5th seed they have dropped to 7th seed

I would ask you point blank now, considering his talent and abilities and also the style of play of the Mavs is Rajon Rondo a good fit for the Mavericks?

Rondo was injured for 2 out of three seasons after the big three disintegrated and picking CP3 over Rondo is subjective, Shaquille even aggres with me that Rondo is better skilled than Paul in the PG position but again that is subjective.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 7:11pm On Apr 13, 2015
joephemzyz:
What's up gentlemen grin
Roland n co..........I enjoyed reading y'alls posts abt d celts n rondo!......
Does anyone here knw isaiah thomas........celtics new wonder kid

Isaiah Thomas popularly called IT is not new in the NBA, he has been around for a while, problem was he has played for teams under the radar, he was drafted by the Kings, before being traded to the Suns where he was deemed surplus to the PG position considering the Suns had to pay E. Bledsoe, so he was moved to the Celtics, he is very talented for his height, aggressive and good jump shooter and together with Turner, Crowder and Zeller have pushed the Celtics to the 7th spot.

I would personally wish we finish 8th to avoid Lebron and the Cavs, we have a better chance of not being swept against the Hawks.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 7:49am On Apr 14, 2015
Roland17:

I would ask you point blank now, considering his talent and abilities and also the style of play of the Mavs is Rajon Rondo a good fit for the Mavericks?

Rondo was injured for 2 out of three seasons after the big three disintegrated and picking CP3 over Rondo is subjective, Shaquille even aggres with me that Rondo is better skilled than Paul in the PG position but again that is subjective.

The Celtics traded Rondo and jeff green their best players and they made it to the playoff
Am not sure he was that good a fit for the Celtics.
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 7:53am On Apr 14, 2015
Westbrook is taking too many shots and yet he's doing so well distributing the ball ie going by his stat APG. OKC needs to win their last and hope NOP loses all for the final playoff spot.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 9:23am On Apr 14, 2015
kliq:
Westbrook is taking too many shots and yet he's doing so well distributing the ball ie going by his stat APG. OKC needs to win their last and hope NOP loses all for the final playoff spot.

His assists stats are that high cos the basic time he gets the ball out, the team player usually scores
He has the 3rd highest usage rate in NBA history behind Kobe and Jordan both shooting guards.
86% of OKC's plays come through him: either assists, points, turnovers, etc

He averaged south of 6 turnovers per game in March: 3rd highest in a month ever in the NBA
And he's more losses when he gets triple doubles
More losses when he scores 35+ points. Even Kobe of 2005 had enough wins
He's not even clutch and most of the neck to neck losses comes when he decides to shoot or lay up even when 3 guys are on him
KD did much better last season when Russell was out and he gave them wins and an MVP

To me, he's tough to defend but his basketball IQ ain't up there yet
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 10:37am On Apr 14, 2015
Decale:

His assists stats are that high cos the basic time he gets the ball out, the team player usually scores
He has the 3rd highest usage rate in NBA history behind Kobe and Jordan both shooting guards.
86% of OKC's plays come through him: either assists, points, turnovers, etc

He averaged south of 6 turnovers per game in March: 3rd highest in a month ever in the NBA
And he's more losses when he gets triple doubles
More losses when he scores 35+ points. Even Kobe of 2005 had enough wins
He's not even clutch and most of the neck to neck losses comes when he decides to shoot or lay up even when 3 guys are on him
KD did much better last season when Russell was out and he gave them wins and an MVP

To me, he's tough to defend but his basketball IQ ain't up there yet

Nice points,no doubt he's taking too much shots I guess the reason why that is happening is because he isn't getting enough help from his team mates....though selfish but he needs to win badly in order to make the playoffs....seems the coach is not doing enough to put him on check.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:17pm On Apr 14, 2015
SIRcumalot:

The Celtics traded Rondo and jeff green their best players and they made it to the playoff
Am not sure he was that good a fit for the Celtics.

Dude is that the question? He won with the Celtics, the problem here is with the Mavs as agreed by all?

Is he a good fit for the Mavs is the question here.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:53pm On Apr 14, 2015
Roland17:

Dude is that the question? He won with the Celtics, the problem here is with the Mavs as agreed by all?

Is he a good fit for the Mavs is the question here.
I know that
To be honest I was just trying to provoke some reaction you really like rondo.
Still I have to ask though what change,
Since the trade the celtics have gotten better instead of worse is your coach the new Popovich ?
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:22pm On Apr 14, 2015
SIRcumalot:

I know that
To be honest I was just trying to provoke some reaction you really like rondo.
Still I have to ask though what change,
Since the trade the celtics have gotten better instead of worse is your coach the new Popovich ?

Yes bro, I really like Rondo, Liking Rondo stems from having watched him a little in college and mostly live in the NBA, seeing those impossible passes go through is just unbelievable and how indifferent he looks during hurdles and games, how only KG could get across his stubborn persona, even when KG was not suited to play, it's about his skill and many parts we might never know.

As for the Celtics, a lot has to do with Danny Ainge making the right trade calls, like he has always done and also giving Brad Stevens the free hand to mould this team to his own taste, also there is no pressure, no expectations for this team from the fans and the front office, it is a very young team with no experience but in a couple of years have the propensity to become very good, the team was already developing and growing before Green/ Rondo were traded, both needed to go anyways for the team to take full shape.

Also the bad shape of the eastern conference enables the team to build quickly as compared to the West, the foray into the post season is very important for this roaster, we might get swept away if we hit the Cavs but the experience would help this young team into the next season, hopefully we can get an experienced free agent for the Center position.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
Roland17:

Its an easy question just like Birdman mentioned. Rondo is a poorman's Jason Kidd. They are ridiculously similar and the only glaring disparity between them is the 3pt shooting. So if a mid 30's Kidd could make it work I don't see why Rondo shouldn't fit. The truth is he is not applying himself and thinks he knows more than the coach

Rondo even while healthy did very little to lift his team out of the dregs of a weak conference

What Shaq opined is immaterial. There are a million and one people who would give similar verdict for Chris Paul

Anyway its not too late for Rondo to redeem himself and he can do that by doing a job on Tony Parker (not that they need him these days)
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 8:29am On Apr 16, 2015
It's the Playoffs

How the regular season finished; Log

Eastern Conference

1. Atlanta Hawks
2. Cleveland Cavaliers
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Toronto Raptors
5. Washington Wizards
6. Milwaukee Bucks
7. Bolton Celtics
8. Indiana Pacers

Match ups:

Hawks Vs Pacers
Raptors Vs Wizards

Cavs Vs Celtics
Bulls Vs Bucks

Western Conference

1. Golden State Warriors
2. Houston Rockets
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Portland Trail Blazers
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. San Antonio Spurs
7. Dallas Mavericks
8. New Orleans Pelicans

Fixtures :

GSW Vs NOP
Bazers Vs Grizzlies

Rockets Vs Mavs
Clippers Vs Spurs

Once again the heat is on!

Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 8:34am On Apr 16, 2015
Let's go there
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 9:38am On Apr 16, 2015
^^^^

My predictions :

WCF:

GSW Vs Spurs

ECF:

Hawks Vs Bulls

#WestCoastConnection cool
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:11am On Apr 17, 2015
Finally some real basketball!

Warriors vs Pelicans: Nice to see Anthony Davis in the playoffs, if MVP was decided by efficiency alone he would be MVP hands down. This would be a more competitive series than most people think. So long as Davis gets help from his supporting cast they should at least push this to 6

Prediction: Warriors in 6

Rockets vs Mavericks: Now this would be all out war! City rivals, Parsons a former Rocket, JET a former Mav. Two gunslingers Harden vs Monta Ellis two behemoths in the paint Howard vs Chandler. I'm leaning towards the Mavs on this one mainly because the Rockets best player is not reliable in the playoffs not lately at least. His eye-watering shooting against the Blazers is still fresh in the memory. With a healthy Parsons and Rondo showing up the Mavs would have enough depth to overpower the Rockets

Prediction: Mavericks in 6

Clippers vs Spurs: This could easily be a Conference Final its bittersweet that both teams have to meet so early out but on the bright side this is a feast of basketball we have on our hands. Chris Paul vs Tony Parker Blake Griffin vs Tim Duncan. Outside shooting might prove key in this series and this is where the Spurs in my eyes have the edge

Prediction: Spurs in 7

Grizzlies vs Portland: Battle of the injured! Both teams missing key players Afflalo, Matthews on one side Conley, Allen on the other. Lillard has been rather poor since after the All-star break, this doesn't bode well for the Blazers and I just don't see how they can cope with Gasol and Z-Bo in the block

Prediction: Grizz in 6

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 12:43am On Apr 17, 2015
kliq:
^^^^

My predictions :

WCF:

GSW Vs Spurs

ECF:

Hawks Vs Bulls

#WestCoastConnection cool
No love for the King ?
Who wan beat Cleveland ?
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:14am On Apr 17, 2015
A40:

good point. CP3 on any eastern team would be in the playoffs. plus put cp3 on the mavs and the whole west would be scared right now.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:16am On Apr 17, 2015
SIRcumalot:

No love for the King ?
Who wan beat Cleveland ?

Basketball gods have poured sand in Cleveland's garri already. They just dont know it yet. tongue

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 6:07am On Apr 17, 2015
SIRcumalot:

No love for the King ?
Who wan beat Cleveland ?

King of which Palace? cheesy

That reminds me,you were a Heat fan last season bet you now with the Cavs undecided

Well I'm not a fan of LBJ and wouldn't like to see him rush to the finals again,and let's see if he's going to try to switch lane again or probably recruit more stars. embarassed

#LakersNation
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 6:12am On Apr 17, 2015
A40:
Finally some real basketball!

Warriors vs Pelicans: Nice to see Anthony Davis in the playoffs, if MVP was decided by efficiency alone he would be MVP hands down. This would be a more competitive series than most people think. So long as Davis gets help from his supporting cast they should at least push this to 6

Prediction: Warriors in 6

Rockets vs Mavericks: Now this would be all out war! City rivals, Parsons a former Rocket, JET a former Mav. Two gunslingers Harden vs Monta Ellis two behemoths in the paint Howard vs Chandler. I'm leaning towards the Mavs on this one mainly because the Rockets best player is not reliable in the playoffs not lately at least. His eye-watering shooting against the Blazers is still fresh in the memory. With a healthy Parsons and Rondo showing up the Mavs would have enough depth to overpower the Rockets

Prediction: Mavericks in 6

Clippers vs Spurs: This could easily be a Conference Final its bittersweet that both teams have to meet so early out but on the bright side this is a feast of basketball we have on our hands. Chris Paul vs Tony Parker Blake Griffin vs Tim Duncan. Outside shooting might prove key in this series and this is where the Spurs in my eyes have the edge

Prediction: Spurs in 7

Grizzlies vs Portland: Battle of the injured! Both teams missing key players Afflalo, Matthews on one side Conley, Allen on the other. Lillard has been rather poor since after the All-star break, this doesn't bode well for the Blazers and I just don't see how they can cope with Gasol and Z-Bo in the block

Prediction: Grizz in 6

No sweeps? Let's have that for the Eastern Conference.

Can the Mavs go pass the Rockets?

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (2277) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.