Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (798) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1626591 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (795) (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) ... (2208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 11:08am On Mar 21, 2018
Decale:

Just small play ooo grin
No qualms bro...na play i dey too..just say make i tease you small cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:06pm On Mar 21, 2018
Decale:

Bia bia.

We're talking about teams fighting for the ring. Take ya time

Enyia,

Your bulls must be fighting for a tank at the other end of the table.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:03pm On Mar 21, 2018
Eruditor:

Let us put this theory to the test: 2014, 2015, 2016 Houston are not this 3pt shooting team MDA has made them out to be. But look at Harden's numbers.

Then the excuse was that he knew how to draw fouls. When GSW fans made a case for Curry, the argument was that we were a 3pt shooting team. Funny, now that same excuse is being used for Harden and somehow Curry is being robed into it again.

First is 2014/15 second is 2016/17 third is 2015/16.

Even if we give 2016/17 to 3pt shooting how do we explain 1 and 3?

what 1 and 3?

It is not about knowing how to draw fouls, as if you fake a shot like dwade and make your defender bite. Harden gets fouled because he gets past his opponents. He gets past his opponents because they guard him too closely at the 3pt line. Once he gets past, good basketball is to foul him. You dont want uncontested layups.

So, what part of what I just described is wrong, that you disagree with? Lets start from there. For example, I do not think Curry should get the same amount of free throws that Harden gets, even though they Warriors are a better 3pt team. Why? Curry's game is not as physical as Harden, which makes sense, as Curry is not as strong as Harden. Curry must play more finesse against his man into the paint, Harden is strong enough to walk the ball into the paint and force the issue.

No?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 21, 2018
Roland17:

At this point and the injury situation of the Celtics, it is safe to say we are "tanking" for the 2nd spot except the Raptors go on a losing streak and we start a winning streak which is highly unlikely. In Tatum, we may have a sensational scorer with huge potentials to grow in consistency.
On tatum, i knew he was good in college, but since he got into the Nba, His offensive game is that of a grown man's game. Their is no fear, and some of the plays he makes are sensational. Rookie's do not make them. I wonder what would have happen if he wasn't picked by the celtics but by a lower tier team, Most likely a rookie of the year candidate if he was playing for a team without scorers.

What happens when Hayward gets back though? Does he go back to the bench?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 21, 2018
In other news, I saw a highlight video of derrick rose playing for the wolves. He looks super good. I am not a fan of him, but i was incredibly happy. I hope this is the start of something new for him.

He should learn how to shoot threes though, so he can stop driving, which will reduce chances of him getting injured.

I forgot who said Andre Miller secret to longevity in the Nba was not Jumping too much. Not everyone can be vince grin.

A solid jumper here and there to keep defender honest, and his injuries might reduce.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 3:35pm On Mar 21, 2018
birdman:

what 1 and 3?

It is not about knowing how to draw fouls, as if you fake a shot like dwade and make your defender bite. Harden gets fouled because he gets past his opponents. He gets past his opponents because they guard him too closely at the 3pt line. Once he gets past, good basketball is to foul him. You dont want uncontested layups.

So, what part of what I just described is wrong, that you disagree with? Lets start from there. For example, I do not think Curry should get the same amount of free throws that Harden gets, even though they Warriors are a better 3pt team. Why? Curry's game is not as physical as Harden, which makes sense, as Curry is not as strong as Harden. Curry must play more finesse against his man into the paint, Harden is strong enough to walk the ball into the paint and force the issue.

No?

1 and 3 where seasons 2014/15 & 15/16 where Rockets did not have as much talent or spacing as they have now yet Harden was still posting incredible FT numbers. My point there was to prove that your case for him in 2017/18 is being checkmated by those years.

Does Harden deserve some of the fouls that he gets? Of course yes. Whether Curry deserves higher or equal numbers is not even my argument at all. The argument I was making is that Harden easily gets a whistle even when he has barely been touched and some other times he gets them for nothing.

I side with those who say all the superstars should be getting FTs the same way Harden does if we are going by the letter of the laws. That is, Any time Curry is shoved and grabbed off the ball or any time he is driving to the bucket. Same as Lebron etc. That way we won't be seeing consistently how Lou Williams and co will be posting higher FTA than Curry.

And then speaking of strength, I hope you know being taller or having bigger arms does not equate to strength? Harden is a strong player but I have never seen anyone describe it as the strength of his game. Besides, he barely has any defensive duties all game and still gasses out so easily. So jury is out on that strength you are talking about.

On the flip side, Curry is not weak for having ankle injuries or playing with more finesse. He has to play with more finesse because nobody gives him his calls. Last season's playoffs where Curry got 12FTs in the first half or so of game 2, I came here to re-echo what all Ws fans were saying world wide - which was "that we could not believe refs could call FTs on him that way". It disrupted the Cavs plans because they had used it so often prior without penalty. But if you observe the film to that game, you would see that Curry went all Harden and was initiating contact and flopping. Yea, so that is essentially why Harden gets many calls.

I watched the Blazers game yesterday and the reffing was fair. The same ticky tacky fouls they called for Harden, they called against him. If refs could take that approach too against Bron and Curry etc, that will also be welcome.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2018
aliondo:

Dont see you guys beating us either,if we meet come playoffs..

I need this type of confidence too. I get really irked when all people keep posting is how unfairly talented we are - hurting parity in the league.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 3:40pm On Mar 21, 2018
Roland17:

Enyia,
Your bulls must be fighting for a tank at the other end of the table.

Don't let me leave Celtics and attack your football club ooo

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:41pm On Mar 21, 2018
Donlittle:
On tatum, i knew he was good in college, but since he got into the Nba, His offensive game is that of a grown man's game. Their is no fear, and some of the plays he makes are sensational. Rookie's do not make them. I wonder what would have happen if he wasn't picked by the celtics but by a lower tier team, Most likely a rookie of the year candidate if he was playing for a team without scorers.

What happens when Hayward gets back though? Does he go back to the bench?

I agree with everything except the embolden. Tatum is able to thrive because of coaching. Let me assure you that if he was drafted by another team, he may not have become this successful in his rookie season. I have said this before on this thread, the Celtics were very meticulous in the last draft that gave up the number one overall to draft 4th for Tatum, it was not a coincidence.

Brad was already watching Tatum at Duke and he knew his team needed a talented scorer after the previous season. Ainge's idea was to draft J. Jackson of the Suns because of his length which was the focus of Brad's team, until Jackson missed a workout with the Celtics and Brad insisted and prevailed about Tatum.

I can't say what would happen when Hayward returns, that would be up to Brad whom I trust his judgement. However, I believe Tatum would still be an integral component. Hayward is going to slowly transition into the first team anyways, at worse Tatum would lead the 2nd unit.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 3:42pm On Mar 21, 2018
Double post
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:43pm On Mar 21, 2018
Decale:

Don't let me leave Celtics and attack your football club ooo

Shey na GP tank Chicago Bulls dey fight for abi which tank brand?

Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 4:14pm On Mar 21, 2018
Roland17:

Shey na GP tank Chicago Bulls dey fight for abi which tank brand?

Argghhh. You haff kee me

You see as Heat dey follow you for playoff standings? Na so my trolling go be when they comot you for first round.

This your post still dey scratch my body. Chai...

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:31pm On Mar 21, 2018
A40:
Lol and RIP to your Blackhawks Roland. Your team phuckin sucks!!!!

Mi ti gba kamu.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:33pm On Mar 21, 2018
DevdanSanguine:
Absolutely devastated for Korver. Can only imagine the pain of losing a brother.

A very difficult situation for Korver. I can't begin to imagine how much grief he is enduring right now.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 6:10pm On Mar 21, 2018
Strength to Korver and his family. His fighting spirit will surely get him through this
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 11:13pm On Mar 21, 2018
These NBA coaches are trying to evade Adam Silver

Kyle Lowry missed one game as a result of an injury, Demar simultaneously had a thigh contusion last night. He's apparently okay to face the Cavs.

It's not easy to play 10 games in 16 days. These injuries are bound to be picked up along the way grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:22am On Mar 22, 2018
Seems these baby lizards came to play. Every single bum on their team is making 3 pointers.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:38am On Mar 22, 2018
Eruditor:

1 and 3 where seasons 2014/15 & 15/16 where Rockets did not have as much talent or spacing as they have now yet Harden was still posting incredible FT numbers. My point there was to prove that your case for him in 2017/18 is being checkmated by those years.

I cant disagree with the bulk of what you are saying. However, the rockets were just as talented in years 1 and 3...maybe you have forgotten how good they were. Remember we had Adelman, then McHale before DAntoni - we have always had the 3 ball and spacing and ball movement

And then speaking of strength, I hope you know being taller or having bigger arms does not equate to strength? Harden is a strong player but I have never seen anyone describe it as the strength of his game.

You arent listening enough. Harden IS strong. He doesnt have the muscular shape because he really doesnt focus on the upper body, but he has core and leg strength. You need that core strength to be able to make contact and finish.

In fact, anytime you see a guard who can "walk" into the paint and finish, that is a sign of leg and core strength. Another good example is Dwade. Contrast that with smaller guards Curry and Lillard. One guard I know who is in between is John Wall. He plays like a smaller guard, but some games he gets inspired and wil take the ball to basket with lots of contact.

Google all these guards workouts, and you will see what I mean

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 22, 2018
Kyle Lowry or Steph Curry?

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 22, 2018
We are severely undermanned and their bench mob should probably gain them some separation but that third quarter was dope. Fully healthy we sweep these bums. I don't even care about seeding. If we're not the one or two seed it's probably the same opposition, just the order that changes.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:24am On Mar 22, 2018
Love with the Dagger but im joining the bandwagon, NBA REFS ARE TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Making this game closer than it needs to be. How is that a bloody foul on Lowry? WTF??
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:27am On Mar 22, 2018
Derozan with the flop and the refs buy it hook line and sinker. SMH! This is embarrassing.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:37am On Mar 22, 2018
Called it. They're not dinosaurs, not even baby dinosaurs, they're lizards and choke artists. Maybe playing back to back played a factor but derozan was rested and he still came up short, they blew a 15 point lead. Plus we had Osman hood nance korver and TT out. A healthy cavs team sweeps these bums!!!!

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 22, 2018
Another Career high for LeBron Most assists without a turnover (17). Only the third person to do it in the last 10 years and the first to have 30+ points 15+ assists with no turnovers. Best closer in the game, Greatest of all time.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 2:59am On Mar 22, 2018
37-17-5-0TO.. Damn..

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 5:31am On Mar 22, 2018
SmooshCHN:
37-17-5-0TO.. Damn..

7 rebounds. Write it well...

Love with his own record (only player with 1000 3s and 10rpg). Howard doing the Love record. Crazy night...

P.S: I don't know why Cavs fans are rejoicing over a team that has played the most NBA games in 2 weeks and previously blown them out by 44 points.

Cavs are still the team to beat come playoffs but these Raptors have the best chance I've seen since 1800 B.C. to get to the finals.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 22, 2018
Decale:

7 rebounds. Write it well...

Love with his own record (only player with 1000 3s and 10rpg). Howard doing the Love record. Crazy night...

P.S: I don't know why Cavs fans are rejoicing over a team that has played the most NBA games in 2 weeks and previously them out by 44 points.

Cavs are still the team to beat come playoffs but these Raptors have the best chance I've seen since 1800 B.C. to get to the finals.

LeBron and Howard. Looking like 2009 again.

Not the same Cavs team. They played a lot of games but we were missing 5 of our ten best players including the best 3 point shooter in the league. Though I guess you're right, no need to rejoice. Was never in awe of them to begin with so...

Bulls, Celtics, Pacers, Hawks, Raptors, Celtics, Raptors. We've seen this movie before, we all know how it ends.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 7:59am On Mar 22, 2018
birdman:

I cant disagree with the bulk of what you are saying. However, the rockets were just as talented in years 1 and 3...maybe you have forgotten how good they were. Remember we had Adelman, then McHale before DAntoni - we have always had the 3 ball and spacing and ball movement

You arent listening enough. Harden IS strong. He doesnt have the muscular shape because he really doesnt focus on the upper body, but he has core and leg strength. You need that core strength to be able to make contact and finish.

In fact, anytime you see a guard who can "walk" into the paint and finish, that is a sign of leg and core strength. Another good example is Dwade. Contrast that with smaller guards Curry and Lillard. One guard I know who is in between is John Wall. He plays like a smaller guard, but some games he gets inspired and wil take the ball to basket with lots of contact.

Google all these guards workouts, and you will see what I mean

Hmmm.

Yes, both coaches prior to MDA incorporated 3pt shooting into their play but to claim the talent level for that type of game is the same now beggars belief. All these because you are trying to justify Harden's obscene FT numbers.

I am lost now on your second train of thought. If he is strong but does not look it why does he get the fouls compared to other elite PGs? If he is strong and still looks it then why does he get the fouls and not other strong players like Lebron?

The bare fact is, there is no head or tail as to why that is so except that he sells the fouls and the refs buy it for reasons best known to them. It is the same reason nobody calls Lebrons travels or offensive foul charges. Or the same reason Harden gets away with his travels on those step back 3s as well.

It could also be the same reason CP3 gets away with a lot of dirty plays like shoving players etc which they call great D but if Zaza does it, he was trying to kill the player.

It is the same innate, inexplicable reason that a player that avoids contact as much as possible, still uses his quickness of thought, range of shooting and finesse to go to the rim will still get overlooked for fouls that when he defends the same way against other players he is charged for.

Lebron said shooters are favored, well, Curry is the best there is and may have ever been. Yet he does not top that chart and never has. But Harden shoots, and it became his excuse.

Okay, Harden drives consistently with strong core and leg strength, I am guessing Russell, Lebron, KD do so consistently - we can even go to Wade in his prime to find that he never posted Hardens FT numbers - and just like him, the other people on that list don't post Hardens numbers.

Harden plays for a great 3pt shooting team with mad spacing? Curry is like, been there done that..still doing that. It is because it is Harden's time? It was not his time 14,15,16 and 17.

Every argument you would make for him would be inconsistent when used for another player. Or I guess we just have to take MDA's words that although certain players do certain things better than Harden, he is just the best at combining everything together.

We would see how true that is, when the stakes get higher.
Re: The NBA Begins by yomi96(m): 7:00pm On Mar 22, 2018
aldridge is the new duncan
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 22, 2018
yomi96:
aldridge is the new duncan

You blaspheme stranger.
Re: The NBA Begins by yomi96(m): 7:29pm On Mar 22, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

You blaspeme stranger.
how na? as a Spurs fan, aldridge has been playing on top form at least for like 4 games now. he plays the same way Duncan plays. basic basketball, nothing fancy. am not saying he is as good as Duncan by mehn he's good
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:08pm On Mar 22, 2018
SmooshCHN:
Bruh!!! Tommy chop that thing oo Onset and Offset forget those lies those actors/actress dey lie.cheesy That white boy chop am and I'm in full support and happy for him.. Melo has always been lazy, he got angry when S.A.S hit his deepest insecurities about his laziness. He's never valued his position. OKC, knows what's coming but Russ' everyday's great performance is enough for their expected heartbreak. Paul George is definitely leaving if he's not also riding the triple double boat. Not gonna lie, i never expected much from OKC from the season start. Maybe they can turn it up post season if they play the Warriors. I still don't see an upset here. grin
Lmaooo na phuckin guy. He wanted to fight KG for telling him her history. Yoruba go say "Se o tan yin? oo big"

Melo sorely lacks that edge needed to push his team over the line. He's faced some really tough teams but a player of his talent should have more than a series win under his belt. In a team now where the scoring onus isn't on him as much he still isn't delivering in the clutch.

If I'm PG why tha phuck would I stay in OKC? Melo would only get worse next year. I'd rather head to LA or even better Houston.

(1) (2) (3) ... (795) (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) ... (2208) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.