Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (118352 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by wealthyoptimist(m): 10:38am On Feb 26, 2019
Please I need help with my statement of motivation... I'm applying to Unibasel.... Masters in biomedical engineering.... Thank you.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by KendrickAyomide: 11:02am On Mar 13, 2019
University of Fribourg . Any ideas?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ahasuerus: 5:00pm On Apr 04, 2019
Hello all,
I've been offered a PhD position in Switzerland. I live in France but my French visa has recently expired. I don't want to apply for the Swiss visa from Nigeria due to the costs associated with travelling back and forth. Does anyone know if I would be asked for my French residence permit by the Swiss Embassy in France? Thank you in advance.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by kevwemanuel: 7:56pm On Apr 04, 2019
Ahasuerus:
Hello all,
I've been offered a PhD position in Switzerland. I live in France but my French visa has recently expired. I don't want to apply for the Swiss visa from Nigeria due to the costs associated with travelling back and forth. Does anyone know if I would be asked for my French residence permit by the Swiss Embassy in France? Thank you in advance.
Please is this a fully funded PhD?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ahasuerus: 5:34pm On Apr 05, 2019
kevwemanuel:

Please is this a fully funded PhD?

Yes
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by poetagain: 9:53pm On Jun 15, 2019
Hello Friends,

I need advise urgently. I applied for the switzerland visa on vacation parole.I was denied, the reason they gave is thus:

* Justification for the purpose and condition of the intended stay was not provided*

*Your intention to leave the territory of the member state before the expiry of the visa couldnot be acertained*

Now I would like to re-apply.I am getting advises that I should apply as a family,with my wife and daughter,but the issue is that ,per adventure they grant us the visa, I miht not have enough money to push us out as a family,secondly I do not really have anyone in switzerland,though I have been trying to make some contacts ,but even at that I won't like to inconvenient anyone with my family. My intention was to go first and see how things go and then with faith I send for my wife and daughter. Another option I have is to appply alone again for a conference that is scheduled to hold in august this year,someone said that would better .

I need advise from anyone with a better idea on how to do this stuff to know which is better for me .

Also anyone know anything about getting papers inb switzerland?How easy is it ,and what is to be done before one can get his papers in there?

Thank you.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by wealthyoptimist(m): 2:47am On Jun 22, 2019
Hello all.

Why do people that re in Switzerland already not ready to help those of us trying to come with the necessary assistance. It's not cool tho.
I want to apply for my students visa. I have been given admission to Unibasel... The last requirement include a statement of motivation, declaration to leave Switzerland, and future plans after studies. Anyone that can help with samples should please respond. And yes I have checked online especially for the last one (future) plans and nothing. Kindly help

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2019
Ahasuerus:
Hello all,

Usually, yes. It's just like applying for any other visa. You need to prove why you are applying in France and not Nigeria as the visa application requirements differ depending on country of residence. However, there are extenuating circumstances under which you can apply from France. You need to check with the embassy.

poetagain:
Hello Friends,

I need advise urgently. I applied for the switzerland visa on vacation parole.I was denied, the reason they gave is thus:

* Justification for the purpose and condition of the intended stay was not provided*

*Your intention to leave the territory of the member state before the expiry of the visa couldnot be acertained*

Now I would like to re-apply.I am getting advises that I should apply as a family,with my wife and daughter,but the issue is that ,per adventure they grant us the visa, I miht not have enough money to push us out as a family,secondly I do not really have anyone in switzerland,though I have been trying to make some contacts ,but even at that I won't like to inconvenient anyone with my family. My intention was to go first and see how things go and then with faith I send for my wife and daughter. Another option I have is to appply alone again for a conference that is scheduled to hold in august this year,someone said that would better .

I need advise from anyone with a better idea on how to do this stuff to know which is better for me .

Also anyone know anything about getting papers inb switzerland?How easy is it ,and what is to be done before one can get his papers in there?

Thank you.

Honestly, applying with your family further lessens your chances of being granted a visa. Imagine your visa was rejected for failure to prove your intention to leave the Schengen territory after the expiration of your visa (see item 2 in your own post above) despite having a significant family ties to Nigeria. What do you think will happen when that tie is no longer there? I'll let you be the judge of your own case and see if that seems any logical to you.

Here is an unsolicited opinion: Switzerland has one of the strictest visa regulation in the world, It would do you best to have an air-tight case before even bothering to apply as that is tantamount to a waste of time and money.

wealthyoptimist:
Hello all.

Why do people that re in Switzerland already not ready to help those of us trying to come with the necessary assistance. It's not cool tho.
I want to apply for my students visa. I have been given admission to Unibasel... The last requirement include a statement of motivation, declaration to leave Switzerland, and future plans after studies. Anyone that can help with samples should please respond. And yes I have checked online especially for the last one (future) plans and nothing. Kindly help

Unfortunately, helping you with a statement of purpose (which is what your previous question was about) is beyond the purview of this thread. Have you tried googling with a simple search strings like "writing a statement of purpose", "how to write a statement of motivation in support of a visa application" etc. I just did and there are numerous results (some even with templates). As to the declaration to leave and future plans after studies, that is applicant-specific. Only you know your plans. Also, you don't need a fancy template. Type it in word like any other first-year college essay. The people evaluating your application probably have a bachelors degree at best. No one expects you to write a doctoral dissertation on your future plans.

Good luck to every one.

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ahasuerus: 5:22pm On Jul 05, 2019
Thank you Santino1 for your response. While waiting for opinions here, I contacted the embassy here and they told me exactly as you have said. I am now trying to renew my French permit before applying for the Swiss visa but I don't have a lot of time as I'm supposed to resume by September 1st. I'm pretty much a nervous wreck right now because of all these administrative issues.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2019
Ahasuerus:
Thank you Santino1 for your response. While waiting for opinions here, I contacted the embassy here and they told me exactly as you have said. I am now trying to renew my French permit before applying for the Swiss visa but I don't have a lot of time as I'm supposed to resume by September 1st. I'm pretty much a nervous wreck right now because of all these administrative issues.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Tell your supervisor you are having visa issues and might start later than agreed upon. I'm sure s/he will understand. It's no big deal really.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by YoungMil: 9:48am On Jul 11, 2019
Ahasuerus:
Hello all,

Hi, congratulations to you on your offer. Can you please share how you went about the application cos I am currently looking at pursuing my PhD in Switzerland too and your insight would be appreciated. I live in Estonia and I just felt like changing environment. I don't know if I can write you via email but I think sharing it here would help others. Thank you in advance.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ahasuerus: 11:56am On Aug 29, 2019
I didn't do anything really special. I sought for offers in laboratories, contacted professors and applied for advertised PhD positions. A professor I contacted told me about an offer opening up in his university. I applied, was interviewed and finally retained.
You would have to have all your documents ready such as English language tests or other languages you intend to study in as well as your transcripts and certificates.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Ahasuerus: 11:58am On Aug 29, 2019
YoungMil:

Hi, congratulations to you on your offer. Can you please share how you went about the application cos I am currently looking at pursuing my PhD in Switzerland too and your insight would be appreciated. I live in Estonia and I just felt like changing environment. I don't know if I can write you via email but I think sharing it here would help others. Thank you in advance.

I didn't do anything really special. I sought for offers in laboratories, contacted professors and applied for advertised PhD positions. A professor I contacted told me about an offer opening up in his university. I applied, was interviewed and finally retained.
You would have to have all your documents ready such as English language tests or other languages you intend to study in as well as your transcripts and certificates.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Thegamingorca(m): 2:08pm On Sep 03, 2019
wealthyoptimist:
Hello all.

Declaration to leave Switzerland lol what's that
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by evergreen9: 8:44am On Sep 05, 2019
Hey guys, what is the estimated cost of tuition for non-eu students in Switzerland? Also is there a language requirement? what is the application timeline like for a Swiss student visa?

@Ahasuerus
@Santino1
@poetagain
@kevwemanuel
@okezie007

We are all Nigerians, lets all help one another, you can't tell who would help you tomorrow! I would appreciate any information you guys would be willing to offer. Thanks in advance.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 05, 2019
evergreen9:
Hey guys, what is the estimated cost of tuition for non-eu students in Switzerland? Also is there a language requirement? what is the application timeline like for a Swiss student visa?

@Ahasuerus
@Santino1
@poetagain
@kevwemanuel
@okezie007

We are all Nigerians, lets all help one another, you can't tell who would help you tomorrow! I would appreciate any information you guys would be willing to offer. Thanks in advance.
Check here https://www.mastersportal.com/universities/36/eth-zurich-swiss-federal-institute-of-technology.html
Average tuition is about 1000 euros equivalent
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by evergreen9: 10:03am On Sep 05, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Check here https://www.mastersportal.com/universities/36/eth-zurich-swiss-federal-institute-of-technology.html
Average tuition is about 1000 euros equivalent

That yearly or per semester? What about language requirement and visa application duration/timeline?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 05, 2019
evergreen9:

That yearly or per semester? What about language requirement and visa application duration/timeline?
Per year.

Just check the sites. All your answers are there from the university website.

Visa application timeline will be answered by those who went recently.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Dayzzy(m): 11:44am On Nov 27, 2019
Hi guys, thanks for the previous responses. I want to apply for masters (architecture) in Switzerland and right now the biggest challenge seems to be the blocked account amount because honestly, i can't gather that much (8 mil). However, before now, i always had my mind on Germany (TU Munich) but due to my desire to study in one of the QS10 rankings, i decided to try ETH Zurich, the cheapest among the rest. so my question is, will a letter from a swiss citizen suffice (as in Germany's requirements) or it really has to be a blocked account parole?.

Also, how easy is it to have a fully funded scholarship to pursue masters degree in swiz, especially ETH ZURICH ? . Thanks all.

@Ahasuerus
@Santino1
@poetagain
@kevwemanuel
@okezie007
@EMMAACHILE
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2019
According the Switzerland Embassy website in Abuja, Nigeria............. The following documents are required and should be submitted in the following order:
1) 3 national (visa D) application forms (duly completed and signed)
- Both parents must sign the application if applicant is minor (below age 18)
- Letter of consent of both parents if the minor child is travelling unaccompanied or with one parent only
- if applicable: child custody court documents
2) 4 identical passport photos - In colour, made within last 3 months, white background, no head-covering/wig/dark glasses
3) Current passport (must be valid for more than 12 months)
- Your passport should not be damaged and have at least 2 blank visa pages left
4) 2 copies of the following passport pages that contain:
- identification page
- valid Schengen, UK, US and Canadian visas
- in case of any refusal stamps from above mentioned embassies: submit copies of the official refusal letter
5) Original letter of admission to the school/university in Switzerland and 2 copies thereof
6) Original receipt of fee paid to the school in Switzerland and 2 copies thereof
7) Original recent IELTS-test or TOEFL and 2 copies thereof
cool Original guarantee letter with written explanations of family’s financial situation plus 1 copy thereof
9) Attached financial guarantee form from parents/sponsor plus 1 copy thereof
10) 2 copies of International passport identification page of parents/sponsor
11) Original birth certificate and 2 copies thereof
12) Original bank statement of the last six (6) months plus 2 copies thereof
13) 2 copies of curriculum vitae (resume)
14) Original school certificates / diplomas and 2 copies thereof
15) Motivation letter, written commitment to leave Switzerland after studies and written statement with student’s
intentions at the end of the studies ( all 3 documents duly dated and signed) and 1 copy thereof

So, to answer your question, Nigerian students won't need to set up a blocked Bank Account in other to apply for visa to Switzerland.

Hope this helps?

Dayzzy:
Hi guys, thanks for the previous responses. I want to apply for masters (architecture) in Switzerland and right now the biggest challenge seems to be the blocked account amount because honestly, i can gather that much (8 mil). However, before now, i always had my mind on Germany (TU Munich) but due to my desire to study in one of the QS10 rankings, i decided to try ETH Zurich, the cheapest among the rest. so my question is, will a letter from a swiss citizen suffice (as in Germany's requirements) or it really has to be a blocked account parole?.

Also, how easy is it to have a fully funded scholarship to pursue masters degree in swiz, especially ETH ZURICH ? . Thanks all.

@Ahasuerus
@Santino1
@poetagain
@kevwemanuel
@okezie007
@EMMAACHILE

2 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2019
Processing of Switzerland National D Visa application takes between 8 and 12 weeks.

All applicants are advise to take note of the following:
1) No guarantee can be given that a visa will be issued
2) All documents must be in English or a Swiss official language
3) Only complete applications will be accepted
4) Family members (spouse, child or dependent ascendant) of Swiss, EU-EEA citizens are exempted from payment
of the visa fee. However, proof of the family relationship is required (marriage certificate, birth certificate)
5) Additional documents and information may be requested by the Embassy of Switzerland
6) Fake or forged travel documents will be seized and sent to the MFA for further action

Further information: www.eda.admin.ch/abuja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2019
wealthyoptimist:
Hello all.

you no sabi wetin u want your future to be like? nobody wants to help anymor because it is easier for a camel to pas s through the eye of the needle than for nigerians getting student visas to switzerland.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 7:01pm On Nov 27, 2019
wealthyoptimist:

Holla ceec, how do you do... Please can you help me out with statement of motivation... I am applying to Unibasel too but I'm stuck at the statement of motivation, I know it has to be personal, I just need something to start from. Thank you.... Please reply asap

you no sabi wetin dey motivate you? especially as it regards your career path?, you guys aremaking visa denial super easy
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 11:50pm On Nov 27, 2019
SWISS SKILLS SHORTAGE INDEX Q4 2017 – Q3 2018

Zurich, 20 November 2018 – In 2018, a slight increase in the skills shortage was observed throughout Switzerland and across all occupational groups. This was confirmed by the Skills Shortage Index compiled by The Adecco Group Switzerland in collaboration with the Swiss Job Market Monitor from the University of Zurich. However, clear differences can be seen between different job groups. Whereas some are suffering from a skills shortage, other occupations have a surplus of available specialists.

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Dayzzy(m): 12:38pm On Nov 28, 2019
xtus:
According the Switzerland Embassy website in Abuja, Nigeria............. The following documents are required and should be submitted in the following order:
1) 3 national (visa D) application forms (duly completed and signed)
- Both parents must sign the application if applicant is minor (below age 18)
- Letter of consent of both parents if the minor child is travelling unaccompanied or with one parent only
- if applicable: child custody court documents
2) 4 identical passport photos - In colour, made within last 3 months, white background, no head-covering/wig/dark glasses
3) Current passport (must be valid for more than 12 months)
- Your passport should not be damaged and have at least 2 blank visa pages left
4) 2 copies of the following passport pages that contain:
- identification page
- valid Schengen, UK, US and Canadian visas
- in case of any refusal stamps from above mentioned embassies: submit copies of the official refusal letter
5) Original letter of admission to the school/university in Switzerland and 2 copies thereof
6) Original receipt of fee paid to the school in Switzerland and 2 copies thereof
7) Original recent IELTS-test or TOEFL and 2 copies thereof
cool Original guarantee letter with written explanations of family’s financial situation plus 1 copy thereof
9) Attached financial guarantee form from parents/sponsor plus 1 copy thereof
10) 2 copies of International passport identification page of parents/sponsor
11) Original birth certificate and 2 copies thereof
12) Original bank statement of the last six (6) months plus 2 copies thereof
13) 2 copies of curriculum vitae (resume)
14) Original school certificates / diplomas and 2 copies thereof
15) Motivation letter, written commitment to leave Switzerland after studies and written statement with student’s
intentions at the end of the studies ( all 3 documents duly dated and signed) and 1 copy thereof

So, to answer your question, Nigerian students won't need to set up a blocked Bank Account in other to apply for visa to Switzerland.

Hope this helps?

yes boss.. thanks a lot. I actually made a mistake in the first instance..i typed 'i can gather that much (8 mil)' instead of "i can't gather that much....". Thanks anyway, i will have to look away smiley
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 8:43pm On Nov 28, 2019
Non EU students: All international students will receive a work permit 6 months after their arrival at Switzerland
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 9:34pm On Nov 28, 2019
Evidence of sufficient financial means

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 12:29am On Nov 29, 2019
Visa applications from students older than 30 years are normally rejected by the cantonal migration offices........

HOW TRUE IS THIS??
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Heartsterling: 7:09pm On Dec 12, 2019
xtus:
Visa applications from students older than 30 years are normally rejected by the cantonal migration offices........

HOW TRUE IS THIS??
This is exactly the issue I am facing.Mostly if you applying for Bsc. Can we relate?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by xtus(m): 9:35pm On Dec 13, 2019
Heartsterling:

This is exactly the issue I am facing.Mostly if you applying for Bsc. Can we relate?

Sure. sent you a PM

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.