Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,073 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! (22947 Views)

Fuel Sold 86 Naira Per Litre In Ekiti / The Subsidy Question: Fuel Will Sell For N40 A Litre - vanguard / Fuel Crisis : How Much Is A Litre Of Fuel At Your Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Sacarstic: 7:24pm On Jan 02, 2012
op Poster is UK an Oil Producing Country? Please do a research on Oil producing countries and post their petroleum price here,so we can compare and argue
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 7:24pm On Jan 02, 2012
bodeface:

I am dis-appointed at the way some people brain function and it is quite unfortunate that people that are ignorant of the subject matter are being allowed to post all sort of nonsense on Nairaland, anyway they are just showing off their foolishness in the public.
@Poster please answer this questions:
1. Is UK an oil producing Nation?
2. Is it only the cost of the oil that makes up the price of PMS in the UK?
3. What is the average income capital per head in the UK, what is Nigeria figure?
4. What is the present inflation rate in the UK and that of Nigeria? and the un-employment rate?
5. Do Nigerian Government compare to UK government and what do the government in Nigeria has to offer to it's citizenry
6.How many alternatives do UK have in terms of transportation compare with Nigeria?
7. What social benefit do you enjoy in the UK, how many of such do you enjoy in Nigeria?
8. What have we been able to show for the taxes we are paying except embezzlement?
9. Think deeply, close your eyes and look at it again?

Moderator, Pls this type of post does not deserve being on the front page, pls do something about it fast

Actually, it is you who just exhibited your ignorance in public. Your first question says it all. Ever heard of the North sea? or Aberdeen? or shell BP?
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Ejine(m): 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2012
Stop Moaning, Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK!

Electricity is also 24hours a day in the UK, so what's your point?  undecided
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 7:27pm On Jan 02, 2012
Sacarstic:

op Poster is UK an Oil Producing Country? Please do a research on Oil producing countries and post their petroleum price here,so we can compare and argue
On the contrary, it is you who needs to do a research about oil producing countries. If you had done so, you would not have asked the question whether Uk is an oil producing country.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by chinnyonwu(m): 7:27pm On Jan 02, 2012
Op u don suffer oo , tchai, see bombardment!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by uzochinedu: 7:31pm On Jan 02, 2012
@ OP, before I answer the question, what is ther minimum wage in the uk and in nigeria?
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 02, 2012
This is the perfect time for Nigerian men to start trekking.

Potbelly has now become inevitable for Nigerian men. Jog the way and earn some leg muscles abeg.

Enough of the flat behind and skinny legs, waistless etc. . . . ugh. . . . most lazy set of male species I've ever come upon. That shoit can be so freaking irritating.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by dastudent(m): 7:32pm On Jan 02, 2012
Besides everything in the uk is double the price of anything in us dollars so we are practically buying at the price we are suppose to buy it.

Or op,I hope you know a 1k dollar MacBook pro is 1k pounds in the uk?
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Thor(m): 7:35pm On Jan 02, 2012
UK is an oil producing country and does own two of the biggest oil companies in the world. People always moan when prices increase, especially fuel prices. That there are other oil producing nations in the world is not of importance to Nigeria. The problem in Nigeria is that there is no capacity to refine the oil into fuel, so it costs the country over 5 billion pounds a year to give the concession, for a poor, third world country that is allot of money and can be spent on far more needier projects like improving the electricity grid, health and educations systems.

What has happened in the 50 + years since independence? The biggest African oil producer can not refine it's own oil and it has to be exported to be later re-imported at a loss  

The biggest question is what will the government do with the money they will save?

On a positive note, I am smiling whilst thinking of all the extra the costs the Yahoo boys will have to pay at the local Internet cafe grin grin
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by mendax: 7:37pm On Jan 02, 2012
@muami

Honestly, even though u sound objective in your argument, I still cannot contend or see any sense in comparing fuel price in the Uk and 9ja. Yes agreed PMS is an international product just like laptops, smartphones, airline tickets etc, but why does the UN have the index called "poverty line"? and the question then becomes what is the percentage of nigerians under that standardized POVERTY LINE compared with britons?

Let the truth be told, the systems in place in both countries will support the common man differently. Those that know anything about living in britain know very well that the system in place actually discourages owning a car. Even if PMS doesn't prevent u from driving, u'll have a barrage of MOT, road taxes, insurance, parking expenses etc. Moreover, anyday u wake up and dont feel upto it, u'll go enter public transport. Infact, a sizeable percentage of people utilize the public transport system even though they have their cars. So please, sticking to the OPs initial post, I believe it deserves all the criticisms it is getting on this thread.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by knowledge4(m): 7:39pm On Jan 02, 2012
Thor,the first poster and originator of this thread in out of tune with reality comparing the Nigerian economy with the British economy.
Is the minimum wage in Nigeria equal to that in the UK?
If he does not know how to make a sensible contribution, why dont he shut up?
If Thor can pay N326 per litre in the UK, then Nigerians should pay same?
Or is he bragging to us that he can pay N326 per litre? Is that not arrogance!
Abeg!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by sledge406: 7:42pm On Jan 02, 2012
If tthere's any institution to be called useless, believe me when I say TUC, NLC and various unions "claiming" to fight for the masses fit the description. Must you be registered to act your right as a Nigerian?

Whoever said that you needed to fit into any of those unions to be able to undergo strike action? It pains my heart also that so many (Nigerians) don't know the real use of the internet asides being bloody internet warriors.

The simplest thing that can happen, PUBLIC (Government) & PRIVATE sector workers remain in your homes tomorrow (munch on all you have stored in your houses) and when these sectors lose close to billions of naira in a day, let's see who would ask them to give us the ONLY thing we enjoy from Nigeria at least for the time being (SUBSIDIZED FUEL). Trust me, this is harmless and I can assure you, no bloody police officer would ask you out of your houses to work.

The government has successfully changed the prices of EVERYTHING in Nigeria by close to twice (if not more) yet we have no better alternative. Where are the fully functioning train stations? Where is the functioning refinery before you actually remove the subsidy? Where are the alternative sources to PHCN? (and I don't mean generator that run on fuel too)

Trust me when I say many of us don't know what has struck us but believe me, it has hit very hard and if we ever let this be successful, then I'm inclined to say that we'd be prisoners in our country.

Is it a crime or a curse to be Nigerian?
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by phreakabit(m): 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2012
I commend the OP on his post. Its not everyday you see "actual" imbecilës being able to use the computer. I don't need to gives reasons for my assumptions, they are glaringly obvious.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by mendax: 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2012
uzochinedu:

@ OP, before I answer the question, what is ther minimum wage in the uk and in nigeria?

@uzochinedu
Workers aged 22 and older the minimum wage is 5.80 pounds per hour. Workers 18-21 it s 4.83 pounds. 3.27 pounds per hour for all workers under the age of 18.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 7:44pm On Jan 02, 2012
mendax:

@muami

Honestly, even though u sound objective in your argument, I still cannot contend or see any sense in comparing fuel price in the Uk and 9ja. Yes agreed PMS is an international product just like laptops, smartphones, airline tickets etc, but why does the UN have the index called "poverty line"? and the question then becomes what is the percentage of nigerians under that standardized POVERTY LINE compared with britons?

Let the truth be told, the systems in place in both countries will support the common man differently. Those that know anything about living in britain know very well that the system in place actually discourages owning a car. Even if PMS doesn't prevent u from driving, u'll have a barrage of MOT, road taxes, insurance, parking expenses etc. Moreover, anyday u wake up and dont feel upto it, u'll go enter public transport. Infact, a sizeable percentage of people utilize the public transport system even though they have their cars. So please, sticking to the OPs initial post, I believe it deserves all the criticisms it is getting on this thread.

I agree entirely with you on the issue of poverty and really, thats why I support the removal of the subsidy. This is because it is wrong for govt to subsidize fuel prices for rich people in a country where over 70% are poor. In other words, I support the removal of subsidy to enable the govt have more funds to help the very poor. Thus like a previous poster noted, our concerns should be on how the saved funds would be spent for the poor not to insist that the govt continues to subsidize fuel for EVERYBODY.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by arumen(m): 7:45pm On Jan 02, 2012
Thor, if u no get better thing to talk,just shut up. Can u compare living standard,transport system,infrastructure,income,corruption level etc of both countries? We are not saying dat government should not subsidy, but they should do wat they ought to do b4 talking of subsidy removal.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Beaf: 7:45pm On Jan 02, 2012
Thor (OP) is correct, his article might be "in your face" and some might view it as insensitive, but it is correct and it is uncivil to insult anyone for expressing their opinion. There is no developed oil producer that subsidises petrol for consumption, instead subsidies are put on things that generate profits like manufacturing, research etc or areas that build up the citizen like education, health, out-of-job welfare etc.
Please, let us press our govt to provide these things and target them to the common man, failing which we can take to the streets.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Thor(m): 7:47pm On Jan 02, 2012
It is interesting to see that many Nigerians consider they have a right to never-ending fuel subsidies. Surely, in any country, whether wealthy or poor, it is most important that taxes are spent first on providing basic services, such as education and health?

An expectation that taxes are for subsidising people's fuel consumption bodes badly for any country.   sad sad

@Beef

Thank you, you are right, this is not about fuel but the deeper problems that plague Nigeria
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 7:51pm On Jan 02, 2012
"Subsidies , encourage wasteful consumption, hasten the depletion of resources, and undermine the competitiveness of renewable and more energy-efficient technologies." (International Energy Association, World Energy Outlook 2010)
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 7:52pm On Jan 02, 2012
There is crisis today in Europe because past governments decided to borrow to fund lifestyles/policies that were not sustainable. Today, the governments are now implementing austere measures which has led to cuts in public services and loss of jobs both iin the private and public sector. Europeans are now migrating to developing countries such as Brazil and Angola in search of jobs while the EU is seekiing help from China for its bailout funds. Point is: countries that funded unsustainable policies because they did'nt want to 'punish' their citizens are now forced to 'punish' them while those that took the 'hard way' are now prospering. Removal of fuel subsidy is the 'hard way' to economic progress. We either do it now and make economic progress or we reinstate it and remain economically stagnant.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by macherie1: 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2012
Whoever posted this silly thread should be banned from nairaland for not being a true nigerian. Ahn Ahn
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by coogar: 7:54pm On Jan 02, 2012
muami:

I think the poster is perfectly right in comparing the price of fuel in Nigeria with that of UK and the fact that standard of living or minimum wage in the UK is higher than Nigeria's does not diminish the argument. This is because fuel is an international product and the price is fixed internationally regardless of  the GDP or income of individual countries. Consequently, it makes economic sense to pay the international price for it, whether in Nigeria or UK.
Let me ask all those condemning the poster's argument. Can you go to an airline(both domestic and international) and ask them to reduce their prices in Nigeria simply because minimu wage in Nigeria is low? All of you that are using Blackberry phones, did you get it for a lower price than what it is sold for in the UK? What about your laptop? Did you buy it for less in Nigeria? I can go on and on but I see little need for it because I have observed that most of the arguments against the removal of the subsidy has been more sentimental than objective!

this is idiocy at it's sterling quality.

who travels on airplanes? elite? who uses laptops and blackberry phones? the elite.
my friend, all nigerians(rich, ugly and poor) would be affected by this subsidy removal of fuel. the ones who don't have cars would buy kerosene for their stoves or use public transport that heavily relies on fuel. some other ones must power their generating plants with this same fuel.

oil affects every individual in nigeria regardless of their class. . . . .you cannot say the same for air tickets, sony laptops or rim phones.
you should sue your teachers for mismanagement of your mental development.
what a troll!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by texazzpete(m): 7:54pm On Jan 02, 2012
Thor:

It is interesting to see that many Nigerians consider they have a right to never-ending fuel subsidies. Surely, in any country, whether wealthy or poor, it is most important that taxes are spent first on providing basic services, such as education and health?

An expectation that taxes are for subsidising people's fuel consumption bodes badly for any country.   sad sad

If taxes had been spent on providing basic services for Nigerians, would you have had course to call Nigeria a 'shithole' as you did last year?

I doubt you have ever paid taxes to the Nigerian state, so STFU and let those of us who pay taxes complain.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by MAYOWAAK: 7:58pm On Jan 02, 2012
The saddest part of it is that the poster holds a Master of Science degree in Economics from a top British University. Paper Qualifications Alone Is Not A Proof Of Intelligence.

Common sense is not taught in schools. Our president is a testimony, he has a PhD
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by knowledge4(m): 7:58pm On Jan 02, 2012
Thor, you are not making sense yet.
If taxes are not meant for subsidising fuel consumption,why dont you advise the Nigerian government to have functional refineries and stop importing petroleum products?
Why dont you advise the FGN to set up functional transport system, power supply infrastructure, health system like that of the UK?
Here in Nigeria, a Nigerian builds his own house, installs a borehole in it to get water, generates his own power with an imported generator, polices his environment himself,pays for health care in private hospitals,takes his children to private schools from knidergarten to university and repairs and builds roads in his community. Yet you expect this same Nigerian to pay N326 per litre because Uk residents pay same?
When was the last time you visited Nigeria?
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2012
coogar:

this is idiocy at it's sterling quality.

who travels on airplanes? elite? who uses laptops and blackberry phones? the elite.
my friend, all nigerians(rich, ugly and poor) would be affected by this subsidy removal of fuel. the ones who don't have cars would buy kerosene for their stoves or use public transport that heavily relies on fuel. some other ones must power their generating plants with this same fuel.

oil affects every individual in nigeria regardless of their class. . . . .you cannot say the same for air tickets, sony laptops or rim phones.
you should sue your teachers for mismanagement of your mental development.
what a troll!

You argument would have made sense only that in the UK ( which the poster is comparing), oil also affects every individual regardless of their class and any increase in the international market affects everyone whether rich or poor. so whats your point?
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Toks2008(m): 8:00pm On Jan 02, 2012
bodeface:

To the Originator / Poster

I am dis-appointed at the way some people brain function and it is quite unfortunate that people that are ignorant of the subject matter are being allowed to post all sort of nonsense on Nairaland, anyway they are just showing off their foolishness in the public.
@Poster please answer this questions:
1. Is UK an oil producing Nation?
2. Is it only the cost of the oil that makes up the price of PMS in the UK?
3. What is the average income capital per head in the UK, what is Nigeria figure?
4. What is the present inflation rate in the UK and that of Nigeria? and the un-employment rate?
5. Do Nigerian Government compare to UK government and what do the government in Nigeria has to offer to it's citizenry
6.How many alternatives do UK have in terms of transportation compare with Nigeria?
7. What social benefit do you enjoy in the UK, how many of such do you enjoy in Nigeria?
8. What have we been able to show for the taxes we are paying except embezzlement?
9. Have you ever slept without power (electricity) before, what is UK power generation compare to Nigeria?
9. Think deeply, close your eyes and look at it again?

Moderator, Pls this type of post does not deserve being on the front page, pls do something about it fast

I quite agree with this poster cos it seems some people just post  nonsense being ignorant of the facts around them.

I believe the original poster knows nothing about OPEC countries.

Lets see the per litre cost of petrol in some OPEC like Nigeria: (simply multily the pence value by N2.53 as 1pence is N2.53k)
Algeria: Algiers – 20p per litre (N50.6K)
Oman: Muscat – 20p per litre
Egypt: Cairo – 19p per litre
Qatar: Doha – 15p per litre
Kuwait: Kuwait City – 14p per litre
Libya: Tripoli – 9p per litre
Saudi Arabia: Riyadh – 8p per litre
And the cheapest in the world is Venezuela: Caracas – 2/3p per litre ( N7.59K) and you could fill up a 70litre tank car with £1.50 which is just about N400 in Nigeria currency.
So lets ask ourselves this Big question' is it impossible to repair our refineries? or is it a terrible thing to be a Nigerian?

See, our leaders are cursed, clueless and utterly confused. Even the so called Ngozi has lost it totally saying one of the reasons for subsidy removal is over population. so sad.

Here we have enough money to create more refineries yet they simply decide to export knowing that is the only way they can steal our money exporting more than is written on paper and sharing excess profits on the non docu,ented exported crude.

The multiplier effect of subsidy removal will make an average family groan let alone a poor family.

Transport fare has trippled and prices of comodities automatically increased never to come down even if they later bring down the litre cost to 120N  which is their main target.

See lets just pray that GOD should bless everyone of us so that we can have the means to live in this cruel world wjere we are been led by occultic members who have no sympathy for human beings.

Who would ever think that Jonathan will be this heartless and hard hearted to inflict this hardship on the people who had so much hope in him.

GOD SAVE NIGERIA.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by coogar: 8:04pm On Jan 02, 2012
muami:

You argument would have made sense only that in the UK ( which the poster is comparing), oil also affects every individual regardless of their class and any increase in the international market affects everyone whether rich or poor. so whats your point?

but their minimum wage takes care of any effect the oil price increase might cause.
the dumb comparison should stop. how many nigerians use blackberry phones?

you are comparing oil consumption to the usage of gadgets?
fecking hell, you are a disgrace!

work the ratio of the minimum wage(monthly) in the uk to the price of fuel per litre and then compare it to that of nigeria.
with my calculations, a man on minimum wage in nigeria would have expended all his monthly income by buying just 60 litres of petrol.

just 60 litres. angry
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by macherie1: 8:05pm On Jan 02, 2012
@muami, there are several other ways of stimulating the economy rather than taking harsh measurement which may eventually result in the collapse of the economy. Why can't the refineries work?? isn't that a question we should be asking? The economy is virtually powered by fuel  as PHCN is also comatose and the sudden removal of the subsidy will cause a ripple effect leading to a high level of inflation. Letus also not deceive ourselve by thinking that the Government will channel the subsidy to development of infratructure. It is all farce. We should rise up and challenge this inhumanity of man to man
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Btruth: 8:12pm On Jan 02, 2012
@poster, I am sure something is wrong with your system. While others are thinking clockwise, you are going anti-clockwise. Compairing Britain to Nigeria? You are definitely mad. Idiot.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by buzugee(m): 8:13pm On Jan 02, 2012
after all these curses rained down on OP today, he gone need a trifactor of oyedepo, tb joshua and chris oyakhilome and candle light vigil conducted by ashimolowo to remove all these here curses.

Isale gan-eku new year ooo sisi eko  grin
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by muami(m): 8:13pm On Jan 02, 2012
ma cherie:

@muami, there are several other ways of stimulating the economy rather than taking harsh measurement which may eventually result in the collapse of the economy. Why can't the refineries work?? isn't that a question we should be asking? The economy is virtually powered by fuel  as PHCN is also comatose and the sudden removal of the subsidy will cause a ripple effect leading to a high level of inflation. Letus  also not deceive ourselve by thinking that the Government will channel the subsidy to development of infratructure. It is all farce. We should rise up and challenge this inhumanity of man to man

Actually, our refineries are not working because of fuel subsidy. This is because, due to the price of fuel in Nigeria, private investors have been unable to profitably establish refineries in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Biafra News Paper Launched, Called Biafra Times / What's The Difference Between Femi Adesina And Doyin Okupe? (Nigerians Respond) / Governor Kwankwaso Says Buhari Is Healthier Than Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.