Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! (22946 Views)

Fuel Sold 86 Naira Per Litre In Ekiti / The Subsidy Question: Fuel Will Sell For N40 A Litre - vanguard / Fuel Crisis : How Much Is A Litre Of Fuel At Your Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by lastpage: 11:46pm On Jan 02, 2012
@Beaf
While Nigeria has subsidised laziness and fuckry in NNPC, so that mental output is less than what one would get from a heap of cow dung; Aramco is deeply into Research and development, they operate on the cutting edge and have a Intellectual Property portfolio that boasts hundreds of patents. They have diversified into shipping with a tanker fleet that plies Europe, Asia and America.

I could go on and on, but it should be quite clear what our id!otic subsidies have brought us. Why then, would any right thinking person oppose a govt that wants to sweep NNPC away and replace it with non-subsidised companies as part of the deregulation that the removal of subsidies is a part of?
Some might argue that Saudi and other OPEC country subsidise fuel at the pump, but those countries tend to have much more oil than Nigeria and populations that however around the 6million mark and below. For them, oil is abundant, for us it is not.
Dude, I understand your fear and it is very valid. I too share the same fear, but we have got to take a step away from where we are, if not today, then we'll have to do it tomorrow with even more pain and greater chances of failure.
Everyone has been traumatised by the stupid policies and reckless attitudes of our so called leaders, most of whom couldn't give an arse about how you and I exist.

However, as you know, I have always had faith that GEJ has the sincerity of heart toward Nigeria to set us on the right path. It is for the people to for once, have faith in a govt leader and back GEJ now. In backing him though, let us be totally clear about what our expectations for the better are; let us tie him down to his word that we will begin to see positive changes in 6 months from now, afterall June is not far off.

If this all comes out right, the pay off will be something Nigerians will forever cherish as the turning point in our national development.

Beaf,
In all you have written above, one thing stands out clearly:
The problem of our inefficiency and backwardness is not caused by “fuel subsidy” itself, subsidy was a wrong panacea!
The real problem has to do with “Bad Management” arising from employing incompetent fools, based mostly on Political affiliations and/or Ethnic considerations.

How then can the removal of fuel subsidy solves these problems, when it was not the cause?

Take the Aramco example you made and ask yourself: If Aramco is being run by the same set of incompetent fools that run NNPC, do you think Aramco can reach such lofty heights? (Indeed, if Saudi Arabi orr any of the Gulf states or even Libya is being run by the likes of GEJ, IBB or OBJ, will those countries be still on the map today?)

For Aramco to have hundreds of patent worth Billions, does that not reflect the caliber of staff they employ (academics and researchers)? For the company to diversify into ship building and other technical endeavors, does that not reflect “competency” on the part of those employed? Can you compare NNPC staff who are more entrenched in bunkering, price inflation and fuel round-tripping with their colleagues in Aramco?

So, do these “human issues” have anything to do with subsidy of fuel to the ordinary citizens?
Why is that it is we the educated ones who are supposed to use our knowledge, enlightenment and exposure to protect the illiterate masses, are the ones who end up befuddling them with strange and wicked theories about how to make their life more horrendous?

Assuming by some magic, NNPC has competent hands, don’t you think they would have been the ones repairing and maintaining the four refineries we have and we would have no reason to be importing fuel, talk-less of subsidizing any importation! Why is our own country so phucked up with greedy and incompetent folks?
Again, are you not honestly aware that Babangida removed fuel subsidy (by increasing fuel prices) a few times when he was President and each time, it is the same lame excuse we are given: efficiency, govt finances and a better life in the future for all Nigerians! How come we don’t have all these promised better life up till now?
Obasanjo did the same subsidy removal, seven times in his eight years in government and at a point, he had to bribe Labour leaders and other vocal critics of the unending increase with landed property at Abuja (Oshiomole, now a Governor and Reuben Abatti, now a Presidential trunpeteers are just two examples of the sell-outs).
Again, where is the benefit to the common man? These leaders only end up building private refineries for themselves, in neighboring West African countries, knowing that they would be getting a windfall!

Again, these promises of “some investors” coming to build refineries if we sell it at some phantom price is a farce! It takes more that “financial profit” to invest in a foreign country (stability and transparency of business environment are examples of just two major considerations, two things that are very scarce in Nigeria). No investor is coming and all the junketing of OBJ worldwide in eight years did not bring any investor (though he kept amassing “out-of-station Estacodes” for himself!) to Nigeria.

It is not wrong if government itself put our taxes into this type of not very “financially profitable” venture; it is called Social Services and that is one of the reason we have a government that we all pay tax to.
The U.K, America and Europe does it in terms of Social welfare programmes for their people. Should they just think about financial profit only, then they would not do these things.

What manner of President increases the price of an ubiquitous commodity (in terms of its relevance to our everyday life) by over 100% in January, when most people are in “recovery mode” after all the Xmas and New year expenses? He has to be wicked from the core of his heart and l dare say that he was allocating over 5Billion naira to his wife’s NGO at about the same time! Talk of “Man inhumanity to man”, coming from a man who has no shoes while he was growing up! How would the children of other people have shoes in this case, in 2012?

Let us call a spade, a spade.
This removal of subsidy is just an avenue to create ”surplus money“ that Politicians like him can share and loot. End of story.
Why did he not earmark $6Billion dollars out of the $20Billion excess crude oil account he shared with his Governors, just before the last election, to build a Refinery? Where are the benefits of that 20Billion dollar expense? And you want me to trust him on this one? C’mmon, we are no mugus!

Why did he not reason that he should repair at least two out of our four ‘under-performing’ refineries first and ensure that power generation nears somewhere like 50% (in which case, there would be less pressure and reliance on fuel consumption by the populace), before this astronomical increase?
Okay, his name is GEJ, he is the President and he does not give a hoot about poor Nigerians, he does not suffer their daily pain as long as himself and his co-looters are living the good life afterall, these Nigerians are just too docile to do anything about it! They would rather “pray to God” to come down and fight for them and God has told us that “heaven helps only those who help themselves”!

But at least, lets call a Spade, a Spade, instead of all these Spoon and Fork stories he is setting up some Christpher Kolade Kangaroo Committee to feed us.

Lastpage
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by francini(m): 12:10am On Jan 03, 2012
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by annekix(m): 12:27am On Jan 03, 2012
TROLL ALERT!!!!!!

check the posters previous posts, he is notorious for such ignorant and tastless anti- nigeria posts, he just wants to spark an argument and get reactions from u guys.

Its sad the poster is ignorant to the matters and economics , comparing an african economy to the Uk?, Seriously?

even a 5 year old knows there is something wrong with that picture!,  shocked

Ignorance is truly a disease!, honestly your parents should have worn protection at least there woulda been one less dumbass on the planet.

Jeeeeeeez! undecided
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by kooto(m): 12:37am On Jan 03, 2012
This is the first time 'am seeing a stupid post, so unfortunate!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:47am On Jan 03, 2012
U can always count on Nigeria's limitless capabilities to produce in-bred citizens with a high aptitude for skilled buffonery especially when they try to force like comparisons when none exists. The only legacy we have succeeded in creating is a self-sustaining eco-system where corruption and injustice thrive in the midst of enormous potential for good. I guess years on some over-paid aristocrat will step-up to declare this measure a colossal failure just like Austerity measures of the Shagari era. Or SAP of IBB lore or PTF of Abacha regime. OBJ has had his share of reform initiatives that have failed simply because there was never any plan on sustainability in the first place. OBJ promised new refineries with the hike in pump prices and Okonjo assured that the policy was in d right direction. De-regulate the downstream sector and FG can concentrate on delivering energy. $16 billion dollars after, we are no better for it.

Unfortunately many die when reforms fail. Sadly neither GEJ Nor Okonjo or Lamido will ever face such a loss for their imminent failure. We all know what will happen to subsidies money don't we? We do not even have documented plans on how to utilize these monies to d benefit of Nigerians. Smh Fu¤*#@n returrds :-<
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Beaf: 12:51am On Jan 03, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

U can always count on Nigeria's limitless capabilities to produce in-bred citizens with a high aptitude for skilled buffonery especially when they try to force like comparisons when none exists. The only legacy we have succeeded in creating is a self-sustaining eco-system where corruption and injustice thrive in the midst of enormous potential for good. I guess years on some over-paid aristocrat will step-up to declare this measure a colossal failure just like Austerity measures of the Shagari era. Or SAP of IBB lore or PTF of Abacha regime. OBJ has had his share of reform initiatives that have failed simply because there was never any plan on sustainability in the first place. OBJ promised new refineries with the hike in pump prices and Okonjo assured that the policy was in d right direction. De-regulate the downstream sector and FG can concentrate on delivering energy. $16 billion dollars after, we are no better for it.

Unfortunately many die when reforms fail. Sadly neither GEJ Nor Okonjo or Lamido will ever face such a loss for their imminent failure. We all know what will happen to subsidies money don't we? We do not even have documented plans on how to utilize these monies to d benefit of Nigerians. Smh Fu¤*#@n returrds :-<

The bolded is a lie, here are detailed plans for how the monies will be spent: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_VI3W_cAwMeNTljY2JmOWYtN2M4Yi00MGI0LWE2MTctYTUxMTM0ZDVkNDRm&hl=en_US
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Shokoloko(f): 12:55am On Jan 03, 2012
@ poster- pls change ur name. The name Thor belongs to a Nordic god who had N̶̲̥̅̊o iota of stupidity unlike Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ. I really hope Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ haven't produced any little gremlins cos their stupidity would surpass yours and that would baffle the Almighty cos He would wonder what wicked spirit could create something like Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ. Subsidy has been the mattress for the poor masses and GEJ taking that away is an anti-Robin Hood action; robbing the poor to feed the rich. Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ who stole money to run to the UK shldnt open ur toilet mouth to say shit. Hoping ur mother is a woman and not a troll, I'd like to say she failed as a woman and as a mother for not teaching Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ when to talk and when to shut up. Even when proven wrong, Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ still rear ur satanized head to say rubbish again. Most Nigerians in the diaspora are wicked, selfish, arrogant bastards. I can say so cos I lived there for awhile and I still have contact with a lot of them. Thor, whatever university Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ attended should be closed down for producing a knucklehead like Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ. And for those in support of subsidy removal, I hope ur parents and wives are here and I hope the next BOKO HARAM bomb gets them.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Shokoloko(f): 1:02am On Jan 03, 2012
I truly am bitter abt this post. We haven't even gotten over the Christmas Day bombings and the subsidy removal and this godforsaken son of a bitch is pouring salt into our wounds. May God punish Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ and yours in 2012. Nothing good will happen to Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ. And as Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ have laughed at Nigerians in their home, that is the way Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ will be laughed at when Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ are deported back here to spend the rest of ur miserable life. Bloody beast.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by ndoh20: 1:04am On Jan 03, 2012
In Nigeria you should think yourself lucky, the price of fuel in most other countries on the planet is already double that of Nigeria even with the increase!!!

Those of you wealthy enough to afford a car need to pay their way!
I would have expected anyone to be objective on a issue like this. Thor , u should know that Over there in the Uk, the price wasnt suddenly doubled like they did here. Over there, they have a working system and they would not take decisions that would impoverish the populace overnight.
I expect that GEJ would have put something in place to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal. I also expect that he should have just reduced the subsidy instead of completely removing it. The masses are not to blame for the inefficiency of the government that has overtime betrayed our trust. The question i ask is this, Is life really going to get better now for the people. How does a government that has refused to pay 18k minimum wage expect thesame people to but fuel @ N140?
So, Thor, you need to watch what u say before u get stoned by people. It is not a crime to ow n a car in this country. Its bad enough that facilities are not working and the social amenities are not there.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Beaf: 1:10am On Jan 03, 2012
@lastpage

Please, condense what you have to say, I couldn't read your post to the end. However, I'll comment on this bit:

Take the Aramco example you made and ask yourself: If Aramco is being run by the same set of incompetent fools that run NNPC, do you think Aramco can reach such lofty heights? (Indeed, if Saudi Arabi orr any of the Gulf states or even Libya is being run by the likes of GEJ, IBB or OBJ, will those countries be still on the map today?)

For Aramco to have hundreds of patent worth Billions, does that not reflect the caliber of staff they employ (academics and researchers)? For the company to diversify into ship building and other technical endeavors, does that not reflect “competency” on the part of those employed? Can you compare NNPC staff who are more entrenched in bunkering, price inflation and fuel round-tripping with their colleagues in Aramco?

The reason why Aramco can generate profits, employ the best and churn out patents is because it is run like a normal company. A pile of shiit like our subsidised NNPC will never ever generate money in this lifetime and the next, because the entire structure is wrong. You do not expect a man whose behaviour, no matter how bad, inept, corrupt and disgraceful, is rewarded by subsidies to suddenly begin churning out wonderful patents. Intead, he will employ his illiterate cook as treasure to thumbprint hell out of the economy. All na subsidy.

You are right that the failures of the past are due to bad management. Poor management is the exact reason we have something as id!otic as subsidies on fuel, instead of on education, agriculture, science and tech, Research and Development, health, out-of-job welafare packages etc etc.
Subsidising fuel is as id!otic as subsidising toilet roll. Yes, it is due to bad management of past leaders.

The removal of the subsidy is painful, no doubt. But we must look beyond the pain to demanding complete transparency in the way the dividends are delivered.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Shokoloko(f): 1:25am On Jan 03, 2012
Whoever advocates subsidy removal is one of the thieves and criminals we have in this country. Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ have lined your pockets with all the money so your mouths can utter all the shiit Ɣ☺̣̣̥̇Ʊ have in your heads. That bloody fool GEJ has not even tackled the issue of BOKO HARAM and what next he cld do was remove fuel subsidy. May BOKO HARAM bombs find those who support fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by londoner: 1:41am On Jan 03, 2012
The only issue, is that it was a sudden high rise in the price. Apart from that removing the subsidy is a must. The government does need to out measures in place asap, to help people deal with this especially those who are very poor or have very limited alternatives.

There is no need to compare Nigerian petrol prices with the UK, even in some neighbouring African countries, the price is comparable with what it is now.

Ghana has also just increased the petrol price, you don't see the Ghanaians protesting even though they know they have just now become an oil producing nation.

All the talk of protests across Nigeria is funny, when corps members were slain and people were being bombed, where was the call for mass protest? In all the many many years of corruption where were the calls for countrywide protests? Apart from the EIE protests when Yaradua was away. These protests were not sustained as far as I can see.

It is only because it is affecting people on an individual basis now that it is suddenly so terrible.

You should be thinking of ways to save money on petrol as others do, that is more practical than the usual screaming like banshees that Nigerians tend to do in the name of "protest", until they get tired or hungry and go home, never to return again.

Your government know you too well, they know that you do not protest out of principle, but out of temporary anger that passes with the passage of a short time.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by kaykaybaba(m): 1:56am On Jan 03, 2012
silly post by an ignorant  id1ot angry angry
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Nemeziz9ja: 2:00am On Jan 03, 2012
Its because of posts like this and comments from die-hard "subsidy" removal supporters that I always stay away from commenting on Nairaland but prefer to read from the sidelines, shake my head and wonder when we will be able to make a distinction between literate and educated Nigerians. Most of the commentators here are from privileged background and benefit from the rot in the system that has made an average working Nigerian a disenfranchised entity in their own land. For those that are touting removal of Fuel subsidy as the panacea to our economic problems; I have some questions and will appreciate responsible answers -
* Is it only crude oil that is the natural resource we have in this country to generate foreign exchange?
* Since the '80s when the man from Minna started removing subsidy by SAPPING us with MAMSER and giving BETTER LIFE to their cronies, what have they done with the windfall in terms of sound economic policies?
* What exactly is the subsidy if the Federal Government that benefits from the activities of the "NNPC" could not utilize the income earned over the past 25+ years constructively such that an average Nigerian has to run generator for at least 6 hours in a working day? The minimum wage has not increased in almost 10 years even though the same set of politicians making noise about the economy are the same set of people running the economy aground with unrealistic emoluments?
I find it very sad that Nigerians in the diaspora that claim to be technocrats are not better than Nigerians trying to survive in the system at home in terms of avarice and lack of integrity. There is no amount of grammar that Okonjo-Iweala will speak to make me change my mind about their league. For starters, if she had really wanted to make a difference, she should have returned to UI after her graduate study in the US and lecture like her Dad and show that she understands what it means to live and survive in Nigeria but people coming home after living a padded life in the US to come and take appointment as minister during Obasanjo regime where they supposedly paid up Nigeria's debt and lined their own pocket with huge consultancy fees are just political jobbers. Now, she is here again and the problem is we need to remove subsidy to do the things that my tax should have been used for in the first place.
Bravo to GEJ and his team for succeeding with the fuel hike using subsidy removal as a front. Now, more oil blocs will be allocated to their fronts and cronies, more crude exporting will be done and at the end of it all, we will still have them come to us in a few years with promise to repair the roads, build healthcare facilities, farm more lands and so on without a single refinery working.
I have always said we Nigerians have irresponsible leaders but totally useless and undependable followership. The unfortunate reality of this is that we live in denial and compensate with self-preservation and superficial religiosity while waiting for our statuses to change from "followership" to "leadership" and we then continue the venal cycle. So Sad.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by aljharem3: 2:16am On Jan 03, 2012
Nemeziz9ja:

Its because of posts like this and comments from die-hard "subsidy" removal supporters that I always stay away from commenting on Nairaland but prefer to read from the sidelines, shake my head and wonder when we will be able to make a distinction between literate and educated Nigerians. Most of the commentators here are from privileged background and benefit from the rot in the system that has made an average working Nigerian a disenfranchised entity in their own land. For those that are touting removal of Fuel subsidy as the panacea to our economic problems; I have some questions and will appreciate responsible answers -
* Is it only crude oil that is the natural resource we have in this country to generate foreign exchange?
* Since the '80s when the man from Minna started removing subsidy by SAPPING us with MAMSER and giving BETTER LIFE to their cronies, what have they done with the windfall in terms of sound economic policies?
* What exactly is the subsidy if the Federal Government that benefits from the activities of the "NNPC" could not utilize the income earned over the past 25+ years constructively such that an average Nigerian has to run generator for at least 6 hours in a working day? The minimum wage has not increased in almost 10 years even though the same set of politicians making noise about the economy are the same set of people running the economy aground with unrealistic emoluments?
I find it very sad that Nigerians in the diaspora that claim to be technocrats are not better than Nigerians trying to survive in the system at home in terms of avarice and lack of integrity. There is no amount of grammar that Okonjo-Iweala will speak to make me change my mind about their league. For starters, if she had really wanted to make a difference, she should have returned to UI after her graduate study in the US and lecture like her Dad and show that she understands what it means to live and survive in Nigeria but people coming home after living a padded life in the US to come and take appointment as minister during Obasanjo regime where they supposedly paid up Nigeria's debt and lined their own pocket with huge consultancy fees are just political jobbers. Now, she is here again and the problem is we need to remove subsidy to do the things that my tax should have been used for in the first place.
Bravo to GEJ and his team for succeeding with the fuel hike using subsidy removal as a front. Now, more oil blocs will be allocated to their fronts and cronies, more crude exporting will be done and at the end of it all, we will still have them come to us in a few years with promise to repair the roads, build healthcare facilities, farm more lands and so on without a single refinery working.
I have always said we Nigerians have irresponsible leaders but totally useless and undependable followership. The unfortunate reality of this is that we live in denial and compensate with self-preservation and superficial religiosity while waiting for our statuses to change from "followership" to "leadership" and we then continue the venal cycle. So Sad.

bros, i know but sometimes it is too painful to watch

supporters of subsidy removal a majorly bigots on nairaland

you see they view it and ethnic thing. from beaf to other goons
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Reference(m): 2:55am On Jan 03, 2012
londoner:

The only issue, is that it was a sudden high rise in the price. Apart from that removing the subsidy is a must. The government does need to out measures in place asap, to help people deal with this especially those who are very poor or have very limited alternatives.

There is no need to compare Nigerian petrol prices with the UK, even in some neighbouring African countries, the price is comparable with what it is now.

Ghana has also just increased the petrol price, you don't see the Ghanaians protesting even though they know they have just now become an oil producing nation.

All the talk of protests across Nigeria is funny, when corps members were slain and people were being bombed, where was the call for mass protest? In all the many many years of corruption where were the calls for countrywide protests? Apart from the EIE protests when Yaradua was away. These protests were not sustained as far as I can see.

It is only because it is affecting people on an individual basis now that it is suddenly so terrible.

You should be thinking of ways to save money on petrol as others do, that is more practical than the usual screaming like banshees that Nigerians tend to do in the name of "protest", until they get tired or hungry and go home, never to return again.

Your government know you too well, they know that you do not protest out of principle, but out of temporary anger that passes with the passage of a short time.

Truth. And those that aspire for public office know this country better than the average Nigerian. They know this. The average Nigerian is inherently corrupt.

There's really no point in saying this. And for all the effort any administration desires to make military, civilian, democratic, undemocratic, north, south the common denominator is the Nigerian - the man who wants it easy yet is unwilling to make the sacrifices to make his society the utopia it should be. We pretend a lot and kid ourselves so its not worth discussing.

I posted sometime ago. What will you do if your job is sustained in a company or industry that directly or indirectly sabotages the economy of this country. No replies, no answer. We seem to feel our fortunes lie in the three thousand people working and residing in the three arms zone. But is that what makes for a country, a society.

When banks were capitalised what did bankers do with the money. This is not government matter. Civilian to civilian, private sector to private sector, you to me. A few years down the line where is all the money and the touted, glossy adverts in those prospectus. Gone. Stolen. Mismanaged. Lost. Billions lost. Who is protesting. Who is insulting. Who is vindictive. Where is NLC.

When the refineries were being run down who was doing the running down. Who ran down NAFCON, NITEL, NEPA. Who are the folks running and running down FERMA, FEMA, NAMA and other MA's. Why I'm saying so is that all these corporations have a direct impact on Nigerians they cannot see until a price is placed to get them working. We eat our cake ahead and scream when its not there tommorrow. Today you have NLC members working in various parastatals actively destroying them. They approve jobs not done. They collect bribes to push fake papers. They sign off defective roads, steal transformers, vandalise installations and ruin the economy. Tomorrow they come out to cast the blame on a select few and target cheap shots. Who are these people. They are our brothers, sisters, uncles, parents, pastors, former or present lecturers, benefactors, role models. Infact they are our hopes of battling government and surviving the fuel subsidy storm. But they are part of the problem.

As I watched the 'Channels' fuel subsidy debate I couldn't but notice the business barons present some of whom are actively stealing assess each presenter straight faced. Only God knew what kind of storm was raging through their minds. That is Nigeria for you. They are debating what they are causing. We are debating what we are causing. Sick society. I say it again. If you are on this thread and work for ANY company or government parastatal that is ruining this country. YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO RIGHT TO COME HERE AND PONTIFICATE WHEN TROUBLE STARTS. YOU ARE A PRIMARY CONTRIBUTOR. And I'm sure there are many here because this corruption thing permeates every strata of society. It is just because petroleum products carries more airtime.

A good man at a restaurant will look at the figures besides the menu before ordering. An unwise one will eat before looking. Even if subsidy is rescinded tomorrow it will not stop the rot and will not solve anything but give the can a good kick down the road. Nigerians did not see anything wrong in the billions paid as compensation to PHCN workers and NITEL (still unresolved) for years of mis-management. Who is footing the bill of this disgraceful loss. You and I of course. This is how our money goes. This is the real subsidy of the Nigerian state.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by BabaEleko(m): 3:19am On Jan 03, 2012
[size=24pt]Sorry God but this OP gatto be the sacrificial lamb on nl today.[/size] grin grin
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by birdman(m): 3:56am On Jan 03, 2012
Beaf:

The bolded is a lie, here are detailed plans for how the monies will be spent: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_VI3W_cAwMeNTljY2JmOWYtN2M4Yi00MGI0LWE2MTctYTUxMTM0ZDVkNDRm&hl=en_US

A 20 page brochure (half of which are pictures) put together in 2 days is not a detailed plan
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by lastpage: 4:02am On Jan 03, 2012
@Beaf
@lastpage
Please, condense what you have to say, I couldn't read your post to the end. However, I'll comment on this bit:
You read this one below, as long as it was and even posted it for us to read but suddenly, you developed a phobia for reading anything above three lines!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=834476.msg9854306#msg9854306

Its like when you “conveniently selected the "single line" that suits you” in the post of “@largerwhenindoubt” and responded to that pronto!
You like pick and choose the part of a response you want to respond to while avoiding the cogent part? That reeks of hypocrisy!

The reason why Aramco can generate profits, employ the best and churn out patents is because it is run like a normal company. A pile of shiit like our subsidised NNPC will never ever generate money in this lifetime and the next, because the entire structure is wrong. You do not expect a man whose behaviour, no matter how bad, inept, corrupt and disgraceful, is rewarded by subsidies to suddenly begin churning out wonderful patents. Intead, he will employ his illiterate cook as treasure to thumbprint hell out of the economy. All na subsidy.

See how you make these quantum leaps in our response, from “mismanagement and corruption”, as the cause of the failures of NNPC, to SUBSIDY! Just to justify subsidy removal, abi?
Keep it up but l guess it obvious you are working overtime!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by mekattack(m): 4:04am On Jan 03, 2012
Abeg make una no blame Thor for the exotically foolish post by him, blame the person wey give am visa to start with!!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by Beaf: 4:07am On Jan 03, 2012
lastpage:

@BeafYou read this one below, as long as it was and even posted it for us to read but suddenly, you developed a phobia for reading anything above three lines!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=834476.msg9854306#msg9854306

My guy, that link is to a newpaper article, not a post from a fellow NLer. There is a lot of stuff to read on NL, imagine if everyone dropped such long posts, especially in hot topics like this? We'll all tire out.
Don't be offended.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by mekattack(m): 4:11am On Jan 03, 2012
Abeg make una no blame Thor for the exotically foolish post by him, blame the person wey give am visa to start with!!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by lastpage: 4:13am On Jan 03, 2012
@Beaf its not how long or how short that counts, it is "if it makes sense" (and l know it does) though, the decision to read everything is still your own prerogative.

Again, l think you put the whole thing on your head and try to act as the "defender of the Regime" thus you feel obliged to respond to every comment that does not go the way you want it to go.
I know its a difficult job (trying to respond to everyone) but its your choice!

BTW: I am not offended, its nothing personal, for me.

Cheers,
Lastpage
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by PStacks(m): 5:17am On Jan 03, 2012
I Think the person that posted this thread is completely sick.

It is not a must to post! Better be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and clear all doubts.

At a time people are away from their post to spend Xmas nd Newyear planning ti return after spending much, now increase in pump price,

At a time when boko haram bombing is still fresh in the air, that is insensitivity from government to d plight of her people, even if e was supposed to be, tot it was scheduled for april.

Now I read boko haram giving 3 days ultimatum to xtains in the north to vacate back to d south. Let's say you take them serious, (which u should, if u ever learnt from d past)

With a lot'a looming crisis,
Un resolved issues, now shouldn't even be the time to bring this shit on!

So, I strongly advise the owner of nairaland and the people responsible for stuffs getting to d main page to be sensitive to the kind of stuffs some people come to post here!

If on the other hand this post is just a way of government wanting to know where it hurts, some guys already counted why you should never compare Nigeria to the UK! Am irritated and disgusted at whomever posted this.

You can't keep pouring water in a basket. These subsidy would still go to ghost looters.

Subsidy is just 25% if government spending.

Let's see where govt spends the remaining 75% and help her ti see other places where she can cut spending.

Different govt has increased pump price since independence and we still haven't gotten there.

If we have to live with subsidy, politicians have to 3times review their take home downwards and they has to be anoda increment to the minimum wage which is at 18k federal. U wiuld b amased what is happening in state levels. Pea nuts nd some states in Nigeria not paid 2 months now!

This guys head need to be examined.

Am tired mehn!
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by chika98: 6:28am On Jan 03, 2012
To ask why Nigerians are moaning about the removal is utterly and unequivocally dimwitted!.
What an insensitive human being and might I add quite daft really.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by jascon1(m): 7:24am On Jan 03, 2012
this poster must be insanne, how do u even have the urge to write this curse against ur own self? do u know our ranking in world oil rich countries? yet, do u know a nation with such wealth cant give account of it? approximately half of the population is unemployed/underemployed, do u generate ur own power in the uk? do u know how much an average nigerian earns? divide that per day by 800 naira fuel just to sleep at night and tell me how much is left for even non-vehicle owners,
i see u are delusional and u have tumour in your cerebrum, this is a sensitive issue beyond your scope and i suggest u withdraw this post from public forum and have a detailed study concerning 9ja and her economy
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by collinsfbi(m): 7:51am On Jan 03, 2012
In Nigeria you should think yourself lucky, the price of fuel in most other countries on the planet is already double that of Nigeria even with the increase!!!

Those of you wealthy enough to afford a car need to pay their way!

If petrol is not subsidized, what do you think they should subsidize in its place?

I wouldn't wanna call you a fool anyway because you are totally out of touch as regards the problem an average Nigerian is facing. An average Nigerian is collecting 15k as minimum wage and now with subsidy removal every problem in Nigeria is multiply by two (2) because whatever happens to PMS affect every production and consumption in the country. There is no electricity in Nigeria and the only alternative power generator make use of fuel and many other aspect that depend on fuel. If i am to take a public bus to my office, i spent an average of 800 naira but with the current subsidy removal it has become #1600. If i go on personal car, i use an average of 10litres with the strategy of switching off and on at traffic points without AC. At home, I used an average of 4litres to run my light generating machine at night only and about 10litres on weekend days with the strategy of putting it off and on which now cost me #600@night only and #1500 during the day. With this calculation, an average Nigeria with 15k monthly salary will spend nothing less than #2200 on petrol alone without considering any other thing and you are saying Nigerians are very lucky?

Now, with the subsidy removal, what do u think will happen to the 1.3 trillion subsidized fund? Do you think Nigeria will get better with this? Do you think the money will be used judiciously? You have made a mistake to have created this thread because you lack an insight to the problems of Nigeria.

Gbammmmm over and out
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by dvee2: 7:57am On Jan 03, 2012
What if other things are subsidised instead of petrol? Things that will actually generate volumes of money like education, research, agriculture, manufacturing etc?
The removal of the subsidy is painful and tough, but the arguments for it are baseless and a path to disaster. You know it and I know it.[color=#006600][/color]

@Beaf do you sincerely believe this government has the capacity to rechannel this income to other use? Thats the fear of most Nigerians, these money will turn up somewhere else in Swiss Banks. We all want NNPC to function like Petronas(Malaysia) and Petrobras(Brazil) but no amount of subsidy removal will take them there without first of all tackling corruption and the oil Cabals.
And for those saying we cannot subsidise consumption  remember we are subsidising Production before corruption and government inefficiency leads us to start importing refine PMS. Nigeria has no business importing PMS.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by temmydude: 8:02am On Jan 03, 2012
It is absolutely insane for anybody to put England and Nigeria on the same platform. But of course, only a fool or a crazy minded person will do so. In the first place, why are you(;the poster out there in the England) trying to eke out a living in England?. Is it not to evade the economic pressures and hardship ruling over Nigeria, and there you are typing rubbish just because you want to post. If you don't have something sensible to post, please bleep off!.

Don't you know the huge economic differences that separate England from Nigeria. Is the minimum wage of these 2 countries the same?. Do you generate power yourself in England?. Do you generate water yourself in England?. Do you take your car to the mechanic workshop every 3-4 days just because the roads in England are bad?.

You need to get the Political Economics right as it concerns England and Nigeria and then you will know that you have made a mistake for comparing the 2 countries and equating them to be the same or on the same platform. I don't think the poster is quite educated at all, you are just lucky to know how to connect to the internet and type a few crappy words.

You must be an insensitive slowpoke to have talked ill of your your fellow Nigerians the way you did.
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by ChefMike(m): 8:03am On Jan 03, 2012
Although,it is a sad moment for Nigerians but the 'Will' of God for this Nation should come to pass
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by dvee2: 8:12am On Jan 03, 2012
@Lastpage i think someone is avoiding responding to your comment because your spot on point. you get wat i mean. grin
Re: Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! by londoner: 8:18am On Jan 03, 2012
This is very peculiar, this thread full of people angry at the OP (maybe understandably)= 9 pages and counting.

Meanwhile the thread with information of where actual protests planned around Nigeria will be held = 2 pages.

Well, it speaks for itself really doesn't it?

sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

AbdulRasheed Maina Paid $2m For A House In Abuja - EFCC / Metering: You’re Wrong, Power Distributors Reply Fashola / Libel: Atiku Sues Lauretta Onochie, Demands N2.5 Bilion In Damages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.