Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,016 members, 7,838,555 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com (21087 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:25pm On Jan 09, 2012
mbatuku2:

gender-ike   #LL

Gini bu ike gi?(forms, online, phone conversations, etc)

Ike kwa ?? Ngwa boys unu nogo kill meeooooo. Lol
How about Akalaonye
Akala = sign. Onye = person.
Sex = Akalaonye. This is the closest I can come for now.
I think it makes more sense more than Mbatukus invention of; Ike = sex. I dont know what he was thinking when he wrote that.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:18am On Jan 10, 2012
Akalaonye is way too cumbersome and seems like an overbearing effort to convert English to non-English. Ike makes much more sense to me. Don't you see the etymology?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:47am On Jan 10, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Akalaonye is way too cumbersome and seems like an overbearing effort to convert English to non-English. Ike makes much more sense to me. Don't you see the etymology?

Not really. You can say its stressful but so are lots of English words which has Latin,Greek and French roots in them; Initially, ppl might find it hard to pronounce but as soon as they start using it more often it will just become like one of those words like "mahadum","tachycardia",which were Igbo and English respectively but were all recently constructed words.
As for "mbatukus" invention of "ike" for sex; I dont think it will pass,why? Given the fact that the nature of Igbo language frowns at profanity will make it not to pass.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:52am On Jan 10, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Not really. You can say its stressful but so are lots of English words which has Latin,Greek and French roots in them; Initially, ppl might find it hard to pronounce but as soon as they start using it more often it will just become like one of those words like "mahadum","tachycardia",which were Igbo and English respectively but were all recently constructed words.
Oh well, opinions differ. Akalaonye still seems like an overbearing attempt to convert English to non-English to me.

NRI PRIEST:
As for "mbatukus" invention of "ike" for sex; I dont think it will pass,why?  Given the fact that the nature of Igbo language frowns at profanity will make it not to pass.
lol you're not serious are you? The nature of Igbo language frowns on profanity? Anyway, that aside, I hope you're not basing your comments on the fact that sex is a synonym for gender. Basically, sex (gender) is not the same thing as sex (sex).
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Obiagu1(m): 5:01am On Jan 10, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Unfortunately, "ike" (low low) means a.s.s.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 5:29am On Jan 10, 2012
Obiagu1:

Maybe for Izugbe or your dialect it does.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Obiagu1(m): 5:59am On Jan 10, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Maybe for Izugbe or your dialect it does.

I don't get your point.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 7:04am On Jan 10, 2012
Obiagu1:

I don't get your point.
Basically, you're implying that ike cannot be used, since, according to you, that word already exists as the word for butt. So, I'm saying maybe in Igbo Izugbe or your dialect, ike means butt, but that is not the case for me. So, I see nothing unfortunate about ike. I can be at liberty to use the word.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 10, 2012
Obiagu1:

And so what? Dont they use 'sex' which can mean intimacy also for 'gender'.

Like ChinenyeN said it's still a nice word in our language.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:38pm On Jan 10, 2012
mbatuku2:

And so what? Dont they use 'sex' which can mean intimacy also for 'gender'.

Like ChinenyeN said it's still a nice word in our language.

Just because its a nice word in Ngwa doesnt mean it will pass! And by the way; what does "ike" mean in Ngwa dialect?
Secondly, like I told your Ngwa brother before; It will not pass because of the profanity nature of the word, like I said before, Igbos frown at profanity. Maybe my "akalaonye" invention will not pass but you have to be more creative here. You cant just look in the sky and come up with a word as common as ike and expect the larger populace to accept it!
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 8:42pm On Jan 10, 2012
Wait, is this the same Igbo with "taba nsi" for patience?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 9:06pm On Jan 10, 2012
NRI PRIEST:
And by the way; what does "ike" mean in Ngwa?
I don't remember anything like ike (low low) in Ngwa, but what I do know is ikhe (low low) meaning heap. Maybe ike once existed but then became lost to oblivion, just as with many other words.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 8:44pm On Jan 11, 2012
Still LMAO @ the thought of "Ike" for gender !
That wud most definitely not fly.

Ike is used for 2 different things and quite generally accepted as:
Ike for assss
Ike for strenght.
Ike for gender ?LOL
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 9:17pm On Jan 11, 2012
What about òkè?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 9:26pm On Jan 11, 2012
Keeping with my view that completely new sounds/words do not need to be made for every new idea (especially when we're not sure if the word for the idea already exists), what about these for "gender" if not "ike"?

Ọnọdụ, as in your position or how you sit.
Òkè, as in the part or section (of the specie)
ákwà, because men and women wore different clothing materials and clothing styles.

Examples: Gini bụ ọnọdụ gị? Gini bụ òkè gị? Gini bụ ákwà gị?

Ọnọdụ: __[u]nwanyi[/u]__
Òkè: __[u]nwanyi[/u]__
àkwà: __[u]nwanyi[/u]__
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 10:58pm On Jan 11, 2012
I guess ike can't be consolidated for some.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 1:20pm On Jan 12, 2012
I think akara or oke(Ezeagu add the kpoms) is OK.or maybe something like 'akara oke' ?

Gini bu akara oke gi?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:07pm On Jan 12, 2012
ifyalways:

I think akara or oke(Ezeagu add the kpoms) is OK.or maybe something like 'akara oke' ?

Gini bu akara oke gi?

Ify, I think you might just have it right; akaraoke/akalaoke = sex
I think this might pass.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 6:07pm On Jan 12, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I guess ike can't be consolidated for some.

I don't even mind it, but since most are frowning at it then maybe there should be another term, at least in izugbe.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 9:37pm On Jan 12, 2012
Challenge can be best translated as ?

So we go with akala/akara oke for gender till we get something else better or closer.Nwoke Igbo defender,take note.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:15am On Jan 13, 2012
ifyalways:

Challenge can be best translated as ?
Depends on what type of challenge you mean. Is it a physical contest challenge (as in, to call someone out) or is it some kind of argument, challenging someone or some people's opinion(s)?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:18am On Jan 13, 2012
ezeagu:

I don't even mind it, but since most are frowning at it then maybe there should be another term, at least in izugbe.
I guess that makes sense. They can have whichever term seems suitable for them and those who are at liberty to use ike can go ahead and use it.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 2:47am On Jan 13, 2012
I know obstacle is ọdàchi.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:15am On Jan 13, 2012
ezeagu:

I know obstacle is ọdàchi.

You are right but it can also mean "ogbata ufie".
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 11:05am On Jan 13, 2012
@Chineyem,Both.

Challenge as in calling someone out,Chalenging an opionion and every other "Challenge " meanings out there.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 3:09pm On Jan 13, 2012
What about "dọ-" (pull) as "challenge", so you can say "m gị dọ gị akwụkwọ", I will challenge you with the book (like a tug of war). "Ha na dọ (onwe ha na). . . " ọsọ/íjè/nwwanyi/nwoke. It could work.

I checked and challenge in wrestling is "riọ mgba".
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 9:41pm On Jan 13, 2012
^Ezeagu,you've tried but hmm first.lolz

The floor is still open.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 11:46pm On Jan 13, 2012
How about this

Ikuputa - (To call out or challenge) Ex: M'na ekuputa gi ka anyi bia gba mbga (I'm challenging you to a wrestling match)
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:37am On Jan 14, 2012
Challenge in most Anambra dialect is "nnwale"
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 10:52am On Jan 14, 2012
@Odumchi,Ikuputa sounds more of "to bringf forth/to showcase/to unveil" etc
A gam ekuputa nwa ohurum n'izu uka n'abia nu.=I would be christening my new baby next week.

@Nri priest,Nnwale ule=examination.Nnwale=Test/try

Nice try guys but we can do better.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 12:00pm On Jan 14, 2012
Maybe Igbo doesn't have just one word for challenge, you may just have to use a different word each time the meaning of challenge changes.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 6:06pm On Jan 14, 2012
^Ezeagu,no we are not giving up now.Chekasia uburu gi,afterall you devote much more enery and time chasing Ileke idi.lol

Btw,ChinenyeM is yet to contribute.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

5 Good Things And Bad Things About Nigerian People / Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? / 'It Is Audio Suspension': Oluwo Of Iwo Laughs Off Suspension Report (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.