Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,142 members, 7,838,907 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com (21088 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2012
ifyalways:

^Ezeagu,no we are not giving up now.Chekasia uburu gi,afterall you devote much more enery and time chasing Ileke idi.lol

Btw,ChinenyeM is yet to contribute.

Ify nwannem, this will take sometime because my brains are not adding up.lol

@Eze lion, I didnt know u have a thing for ILEKE IDI!!
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 10:50pm On Jan 14, 2012
@Ify, sorry o. Ihe sukulu jidere m. Well, I don't know about Izugbe, but in Ngwa, when it comes to challenging someone to a competition/contest/contention of some kind, we use ima aka, and if it is a challenge in an argument, or of someone's opinion, then it would be agugo.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 12:20am On Jan 15, 2012
ifyalways:

@Odumchi,Ikuputa sounds more of "to bringf forth/to showcase/to unveil" etc
A gam ekuputa nwa ohurum n'izu uka n'abia nu.=I would be christening my new baby next week.

@Nri priest,Nnwale ule=examination.Nnwale=Test/try

Nice try guys but we can do better.

Ok how about itu? Or inwa?
Ex: I na anwam? I na atum? (are you trying challenging me?)
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 4:43am On Jan 15, 2012
Inwa is more like daring/tempting, although people often use it, in a sense, to convey challenging.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 9:48am On Jan 15, 2012
I think ChineyeM was able to capture it.

Challenge(to a fight,an argument etc)=Ima aka.
Kama Chi,"agugo" in Igbo Izugbe =deny.

Nri priest,ah then anya gi erughi ala.If u want this thread to get to 20 pages in 2 hours bring in Ileke idi and that is when u will notice that Ezeagu can speak grammar,do research,cull up and fabricate stories.lol Dude can stay up all nite and day arguing or engaging Ileke.Guess he gets some sort of satisfaction that way.

ROFL,Ezeagu biko no mind me.Ileke na fine girl,u sef fine bobo.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 4:46am On Jan 19, 2012
ifyalways:

Oh okay.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 10:09pm On Jan 20, 2012
ifyalways:

I think ChineyeM was able to capture it.

Nri priest,ah then anya gi erughi ala.If u want this thread to get to 20 pages in 2 hours bring in Ileke idi and that is when u will notice that Ezeagu can speak grammar,do research,cull up and fabricate stories.lol Dude can stay up all nite and day arguing or engaging Ileke.Guess he gets some sort of satisfaction that way.

ROFL,Ezeagu biko no mind me.Ileke na fine girl,u sef fine bobo.

Are you sure you're not mistaking me for someone else, because this one seems like akiko ogboma.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
Capitalise? How would you say that. As in text, "Capitalise letter I".
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 12:29am On Jan 21, 2012
ezeagu:

Capitalise? How would you say that. As in text, "Capitalise letter I".
Capitalizing is specific to western society and it has to do with their Latin script. It's a highly cultural expression. In most other places, capitalization means nothing. That being said, the approximate way to express that, in my opinion, would be to just say: write big the letter "i"

That would be my guess.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 3:47pm On Jan 21, 2012
Capital letter=Nnukwu mkpuru okwu
Capital I=Nnukwu I

Or what are you on about?
Hapu okwu gi na Ileke gi ugbua.I'll remind you of this when u start ur ileketism soon.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by connkg(m): 5:24am On Jan 22, 2012
Nice thread!
@Nri Priest: "Onitsha-Ado" did borrow words&aspects of culture from Benin,IMO.D difference of d Onicha dialect - d deep 'v' over a light 'f', 'l' over 'r',etc.D Bini "Igue" &burial words especially hav valid interpretations in Bini,rather than the present Onicha variants(eg. d "iyasele" example given)
My views from my understanding of literature written by one of d Obis.

P.S. Noticed that present day Obis/Igwes are very exposed?Foreign-schooled professionals and such?Onisha,Obosi,Asaba,etc.
D Ozo title looking more attractive to a better calibre of ppl,
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 7:34pm On Jan 22, 2012
^Intresting.
Lets pick it one at a time. . .
what is Igue in Onicha lingo and what do you think "Iya aselle" means to an Onicha man?

What is the connecting dot between "ve" eg ive(ife) that Onichans use and Bini?Plus last I checked,most parts of Idemili down to Alor use "r" in place of "l",all of them had Bini roots ?

Lastly,you are neither in the romance section nor sending an sms to your pal,type in easily legible letters.Thank you.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 8:15am On Jan 24, 2012
I hope this thread has not run it's course o. I would like to see more creations.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 7:04pm On Mar 08, 2012
Bumping this up; looking to see more coinages/creations.

What about door handle?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by AndreUweh(m): 8:47pm On Mar 08, 2012
^^^^
Aka-uzo.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 2:15am On Mar 09, 2012
Profile.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 4:39pm On Mar 10, 2012
^Nke a adighi mfe ma otu.

I would be waiting for folks to make attempts at that.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ezeagu(m): 5:22pm On Mar 10, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Profile.

What type?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 6:16pm On Mar 10, 2012
Let's do. . .

Profile, noun, set of attributes

Profile, noun, brief account/description
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 10:17pm On Mar 10, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Let's do. . .

Profile, noun, set of attributes

Profile, noun, brief account/description

Profile as in appearance can be udidi meaning likeness, shape, or appearance.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2012
odumchi: Profile as in appearance can be udidi meaning likeness, shape, or appearance.
Alright. Thanks.

Profile, noun, set of attributes, likeness, appearance, udidi.

What of the second Profile? Also, would it be possible to get a single word/contraction?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 7:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
Isn't a brief account/description already "akukọ" ?

Ex: Describe it to me: "Kowara mu ya"
Ex: What is your account: "Gini bu akuko gi?"
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by achi4u(m): 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2012
i must commend everyone of you here for trying to revive our dieing language of which most of our educated elite have refused to teach their children.
there are alot of items in english language that i fund very difficult to pronounce,words like:

table stabilizer bearing
calender ball bulb etc...
this are just a few,althuogh,'amara m na enwere okwu n'bite site n'asusu ndi ozo.
igbo nwe mmadu ekele m nu ooo!!!
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 1:17pm On Mar 12, 2012
Akuko for profile a dabaghi nke oma n'uche m.I even wanted to suggest "akara onye" kama even that has its own limitations too and does not fit aptly.

I have a feeling ChinenyeM has a better word in mind but just working us up.Lol
Chi,biko gwa anyi.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 7:27pm On Mar 14, 2012
Lol I don't have any better words in mind (at least I don't consider them better words), but I have thought that expressions somehow deriving from iko (ex. okoma-ihu, ihunkowa etc.) would work best.

I think Odumchi is thinking in the right direction. Just like how iko gave us akuko, I believe it can also give us "profile", in some way or form.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 11:12am On Mar 15, 2012
Ihunkowa for me.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 7:30pm On Mar 15, 2012
Alright, so ihunkowa it is, until a more suitable expression is conceived of.

Okay, next one. Traffic.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 8:23pm On Mar 15, 2012
Traffic the verb or the noun?
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by ChinenyeN(m): 8:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
Noun.
I guess I should start denoting parts of speech then.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:03pm On Mar 18, 2012
Ihunkowa for profile is not bad to me.
Re: New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com by odumchi: 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2012
I miss this thread since it's very useful. Let's revive it.

ifyalways: Imela.

@All,anyone ever heard of "agbiri or egbiri" for utara akpu?My paternal grandmom always used 'egburi/egbiri/agbiri'

I don't know about 'agbiri/egbiri' but I know 'igburu'. 'Igburu' is the Ututu word for 'cassava'.

ChinenyeN: Noun.
I guess I should start denoting parts of speech then.

'Traffic' the noun can be 'ekpokpo uzo' (ex: uzo o na ekpo-ekpo?), 'ekwokwo uzo' (the same way that nmiri na ekwo ekwo), or 'ejiji uzo' (ex: uzo o jiri eji; meaning ''is the road backed up?'').

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

5 Good Things And Bad Things About Nigerian People / Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? / 'It Is Audio Suspension': Oluwo Of Iwo Laughs Off Suspension Report (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.