Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,205 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots (7402 Views)

Cash Crunch Hits APC As Buhari Advises Party To Look Inward For Funding / Anyim Pius Under Investigation For Funding Pro-Biafra Activities - Sahara Report / Fresh Trouble For David Mark As INEC Card Reader Detects More Ghost Voters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by 9ijaMan: 2:25pm On Jan 05, 2012
Akintola11:

This is very obvious!! we are going through a real tough time, where many will try and disrupt the situation, We must stay strong and pray for Nigeria,

What Nigeria needs is the removal!! how will we grow and industrialize if we carry on this mass payment that in all honesty only helps the upper class, smugglers and all those who only care for their pocket!

a good article worth reading!-------> www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-subsidy-withdrawn

Stop feed us with horsesh!t. Nigerian now stands shoulder to shoulder with the Americans in the pump price of fuel. Ask yourself if your salary is up to 10% of an equivalent American. Abeg wake up from your disillusionment!
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by obowunmi(m): 2:26pm On Jan 05, 2012
The protesters have to careful to be sure their message is not fuel subsidy.
Its about an inept government that would rather inconvience that masses than cut costs in government. Tell government to cut costs and go after corrupt pricks like IBB, Bode George, Diezaini, Ibru, and co, Kill them all by hanging.
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by goinggreat: 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2012
It's a ruse,something the govt uses to divert attention and if accepted, turn public opinion on its side.they use pliant journalists to plant such stories,hoping to gain public sympathy for their cause.
however,is it the same ' some marketers' who are paying all the people here and elsewhere online opposing the subsidy?this issue affects every normal Nigerian outside of govt. imagine an elderly cleaner who earns N10k whose transport bill monthly is now N7,200,up from N2,400.
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by 1forall: 3:13pm On Jan 05, 2012
A truckload of bul[i]ls[/i]hit. . . stinks to the high heavens!!!
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by seyi42k(m): 3:32pm On Jan 05, 2012
Check below how serious countries work.

Singapore to slash leaders' million-dollar pay

Singapore will slash its leaders' unpopular multi-million-dollar salaries by at least a third, new guidelines showed Wednesday, but they will remain the world's best-paid politicians.

04 January 2012 by Martin Abbugao

Singapore will slash its leaders' unpopular multi-million-dollar salaries by at least a third, new guidelines showed Wednesday, but they will remain the world's best-paid politicians.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, who promised the salary review to ease public anger that surfaced in landmark 2011 elections, will take a 36 percent reduction in basic pay to Sg$2.2 million ($1.69 million).

That is still the highest salary of any elected head of government in the world -- more than four times as much as Barack Obama who earns $400,000 a year as president of the United States.

The wealthy city-state's largely ceremonial president will see his salary reduced by 51 percent to Sg$1.54 million, while entry-level cabinet members will receive half the premier's pay.

The cuts will be retroactive to the start of the current government's five-year term on May 21, 2011.

The People's Action Party (PAP), which has ruled Singapore since independence in 1965, has been on the defensive since its share of votes in the 2011 election fell to 60 percent, an all-time low.

Among the hottest issues facing the PAP was ministers' high pay, which the government has justified as necessary to attract talent from the private sector and to deter the corruption that afflicts other Asian countries.

Despite the salary cuts, all cabinet members will be entitled to a "National Bonus" of up to three months' pay if targets are met on economic growth, employment and improvement in Singaporeans' incomes.

Bonuses were already part of the previous pay scheme, which permitted a maximum of eight months' extra pay if economic growth exceeded 10 percent but none if growth dipped below 2.0 percent.

Critics immediately swamped online forums to slam the new salary scheme, which was recommended by an independent committee whose proposals Lee has agreed to implement.

"Ordinary minister's salary still higher than US President! Still too high! Pure Nonsense!" wrote a reader who signed off as Lim Lao Pe on the Yahoo! Singapore portal.

Singapore has the world's highest concentration of millionaire households, with 15.5 percent boasting at least $1 million in investable assets according to the Boston Consulting Group, but it also has one of the widest income gaps among developed economies.

Gerard Ee, a charity leader who headed the seven-month salary review, said the cuts showed political service should involve "sacrifice" but that pay should remain attractive enough to attract quality candidates.

Cabinet salaries had previously been pegged to two-thirds of the income of the top four earners in six fields: banking, accountancy, engineering, law, manufacturing and multinational corporations.

That meant ministers' pay could still rise despite economic recessions.

Under the benchmarks unveiled Wednesday, the salary of an entry-level cabinet minister is set at 60 percent of the median income of the 1,000 highest-earning Singaporean citizens, which amounts to Sg$1.1 million.

Popular local satirist Mr Brown wrote on Twitter: "Why must ministerial salaries be pegged to the Top 1000 earners of Singapore? Why not the lowest 1000? You help the poorest, you make more."

Political analyst Seah Chiang Nee said the salary cuts indicate a "serious effort to address people's concerns" but that the government should be more transparent about bonuses, allowances and other perks.

A more transparent system would be to publish how much the ministers earned before in total -- including all the perks -- and how much they will receive under the new guidelines, he told AFP.

Despite the cuts, Singapore's top officials are still among the best paid in the world.

Hong Kong chief executive Donald Tsang earns roughly $543,500 annually and the Japanese prime minister gets about $513,000 a year.

Australia's Prime Minister Julia Gillard currently earns about Aus$367,000 ($379,000) a year but is in line for a 31 percent rise
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by kizito96(m): 3:39pm On Jan 05, 2012
I said it
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by yinchar(m): 6:34pm On Jan 05, 2012
ITS ALL A LIE, did you think we are fools, without subsidy the maketers are making thier profits at N141/Litre, so what rubbish are you saying, why will they be supporting mass protest, its people like you and you likes in govt, that dont know what you doing, with subsidy you paying the marketers(CABALs) 138, without you paying N141, please stop saying rubbish, we all intellectuals,
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by Pain(m): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2012
Let the government name them immediately if this is not PROPAGANDA. Another failure, just like the attempt to tie Boko Haram to fuel subsidy. What a clueless government.

Their spin doctors are so pickle brained that they cannot even put together something convincing. These are clear antics of a drowning administration. shocked I pray they don't resort to planting bombs in nursery schools and other heart rendering places to cause distraction.

The recent Maiduguri bombings "with no casualties" is very SUSPECT.
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by jmaine: 7:19pm On Jan 05, 2012
alj_harem:

What is the crying general all about

how does subsidy=crying general it makes no sense unless you just want to jab Buhari but this has nothing to do with buhari and I am no longer a buhari supporter since he is not the president.

Ok if that is your stance then good

Good you now know my stand extensively so that you don't question my opinion next time . .you called me out on my previous stand on subsidy and i just laid it bare for you . . .so you now have a template to judge properly . . .

alj_harem:

Are we not saying the same thing about the government to stop paying the the so called thieves ? [size=15pt]But private companies reserve the right to protest if the deal does not favour them OK !!!. If you and YOUR GOVERNMENT  are angry about it may be you should have though twice about removing subsidy without refinaries for NNPC and other governmental oil companies to leach on.[/size] [size=17pt]Dude really you are not making sense[/size].

[size=15pt]Yes the government is closing those oil companies indirectly since they are labelled as thieves or you mean the government wants these companies to keep running even though they are thieves ?[/size]

Dude your absolutely rambling here, what do you mean by the government closing down business for the oil marketers . .guess the government is also closing down business in the telecom sector as usual . .damn hilarious . .the part in red should be addressed to yourself . . .my post below still stands
. . .

jmaine:

so private companies must solely depend on assured free meals to remain afloat . .and their happiness must continuously be oiled with their greed and corrupt tendencies . . .Their happiness must be serviced with a status quo that benefits only them void of any open market competition . .

Guy . .drop your quaky fingertips and reason devoid of unnecessary bile . . .

What business is the government closing   . . .There is more under the hood things you are not telling us . .  do you earn a living with those leaching fuel marketers  undecided  . . .Your energy source is becoming more clearer  grin
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by aljharem3: 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2012
jmaine:

Dude your absolutely rambling here, what do you mean by the government closing down business for the oil marketers . .guess the government is also closing down business in the telecom sector as usual . .damn hilarious . .the part in red should be addressed to yourself . . .my post below still stands
. . .

Ok but this was what you said

"any fuel marketer funding protest is a saboteur and leaves much room for suspicion . . . If caught should be dealt with . . ."

thus it made my reaction a bit harsh, if it is funded, then they are within their rights, Moreover the funding part is very very unnecessary since they cannot pay millions of people to sleep out side just for one or 6 companies. No sir it is not possible.

I am not ruling the fact that yes they might have been some funding from them but it is insignificant compare to the reaction of the people.

I apologise for the harsh response from me earlier.
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by jmaine: 7:29pm On Jan 05, 2012
alj_harem:

[size=16pt]you and Jmaine are out of touch and out of reality[/size][/b]

Both PDP, ACN, Tinubu, Fashola, Jonathan , Sambo etc would be kicked out Insha Allah

Coming from Harem . .that's rich  cheesy . . .
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by aljharem3: 7:43pm On Jan 05, 2012
jmaine:

Coming from Harem . .that's rich  cheesy . . .

Yes coming from me. You see I am not into any party that does not favour Nigerians including me

I don't want to know if it is ACN, PDP etc they can all f off

I have said it APGA for Lagos state 2015 INSHA ALLAH.
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by jpphilips(m): 8:47am On Jan 06, 2012
@ poster,

your post sound like the gibberish dame whispers into jona's ear when they make love,
it remains a win win for the markerters and a more win at subsidy removal.
I dont see how
138-65 is better than 180- cp.
lol reuben Abati has mathematical kwashiokor
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by IkemiAdeo: 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2012
Chei! These guyz in Abuja believe Nigerians are fools abi? How come the news cannot say who these arrested Marketers are. Ok, imagine that this is actually true, how much could have probably paid the over 300,000 that gathered at Ojota Lagos alone. What of Kano, Kwara etc. This story is an insult on people who are expressing their anger at the humoungous waste of the Governemnt.

Come on GEJ dont be stupidly advised, Nigerians are not smiling o!!
Re: 6 Oil Marketers In Trouble For Funding Fuel Riots by IkemiAdeo: 5:50pm On Jan 11, 2012
Please read this eye-opening piece to better understand the story on this subsidy removal. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-843758.0.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Rob On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / My Ordeal On The 2006 Sit-At-Home Imposed By MASSOB / Pictures Of Guns And Rifles Allegedly Recovered By DSS From Dasuki.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.