Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian (13532 Views)

The Average Nigerian Will Make 18% Less In 2015 / Rotimi Amaechi Gets Minister Of Transport / The Average IQ Of Nigeria Is 69 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 6:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
This is actually more of a question than a post.

We have so far assumed that transport prices would double with the removal of subsidies - and correctly so.

What I have not seen here is how much transport does an average Nigerian purchase daily.

So my question to people on this forum is:
How much did you spend on transport daily before the removal of subsidies?
If you could provide the number of kilometers & purpose(s) of your daily trips that would be very helpful, but a daily average cost would be just fine.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 8:11pm On Jan 08, 2012
I found this article which at least provides some data on my question. The bottom portion is a good summary of the effects of the subsidy removal across the nation.

Counting the cost of a Greek gifthttp://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/general/132041-counting-the-cost-of-a-greek-gift.html

By Staff06/01/2012 13:38:00
By Charles Kumolu

ISAIAH Danmaliki (not real name) works with one of the Federal Government parastatals in Lagos State. But for the recent increment of the national minimum wage he lived on a monthly salary of N18,000 before now.

Following the 2010 salary increase his whole activities in Lagos were now benchmarked on his new wage, which is now about N23,000 higher. Instructively, his monthly take home after tax is about N42,000. On a daily basis, the level three civil servant, whose office is located on Lagos Island, spends N600 and N400 on transportion and feeding respectively. Baring other unforseen expenses, the father of three, spends about N30,000 monthly on transportation and feeding at work.

This amount, however, did not include the money expended to run his family of four and his younger brother, who lives with him in his Abule Egba home. For Danmaliki, residing  in this outskirt where a room apartment goes for N3,000 monthly was borne out of the harsh reality, that houses within the city are  beyond his ability to pay. But the decision is also a challenge to him, as living far away from work implies that he usually pays more to work from his meagre income.

This combination of high cost of living and poor remuneration, has left the Kaduna State born civil servant without life savings, given that his take home can hardly be described as subsisting. With the recent removal of fuel subsidy and its multiplier effects, the forty three year old Secondary  School Certificate holder is contemplating quitting his job and moving back to his village.

*Labour coalition against the removal of fuel subidy by the government

He told Vanguard at a newspaper stand in Satellite Town, Lagos: “How can I cope with this, I am happy that you are a news man and you know the implications of what we are going through currently. I am just an ordinary level three civil servant, I have given you the breakdown of how I survive on what  the Federal Government pays me, if the general price hike does not go down, I will move my family back to the village.”

Nura’s story speaks volume about the fate of the average Nigerian, following the over hundred percent rise in cost of living as a result of the removal of subsidy on petroleum products. From the creeks of the Niger Delta to the savannah  regions of the North, prices of petroleum products and good and services have hit the rooftop. In fact since this announcement through a statement  by  the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, PPPRA, socio-economic activities  have witnessed high level of inflation.

Short term inflation

Although, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor, Lamido Sanusi had in December last year, said that the planned removal of fuel subsidy would not trigger high inflation rate in the country, events of the last six days have proved the apex bank governor  wrong. “If inflation remains at about 10.5 per cent and if subsidy is removed, we expect it to be at about 12.5 per cent, which is just an addition of two per cent,” Sanusi said at the third Bankers’ Committee retreat in Calabar.

He said the apex bank was aware of consequent inflation as a result of the removal of fuel subsidy, “but most of what is said is exaggerated,”adding that “inflation impact will be present in the short term, but over the long term the benefits of the removal will outweigh it.”

Whether the rate will be temporary or not, does not matter to Nigerians, who have been going through untold hardship accentuated by poor leadership and alleged  institutionalisation of corruption as government policy before the  January 1, 2011 removal of subsidy, Vanguard gathered.

Already, the  worst hit is the transport sector, where commuters and transporters are  experiencing hard times.

Most affected in this regard are commuters, especially those, who travelled for the Christmas break. As at the time of this report, millions of people who departed their cities of residence for their various villages to celebrate the Yuletide season, are stranded.

Activities yet to pick up in Lagos: This have led to availability of few people in most cities across the country. A drive round Lagos metropolis revealed that people are yet to come back from their festive trips. even those who had managed to come back rarely come out because of exorbitant fares.

The situation is unlike in the past when normal activities pick up in Nigeria’s economic hub from January 3 of every year. Similarly, reports from Abuja indicated that most civil servants and workers in federal ministries, departments and agencies are yet to resume at their duty posts. Most of them are reportedly stranded in their hometowns after the yuletide festivities owing to the prevailing hike in fares.

It has made nonsense of minimum wage: In like manner, further investigations indicated that prices of foodstuff have equally skyrocketted. A  bag  of  rice  now  goes for  N10,500 against the previous N7,000  and  N7, 500.

Other items like tomatoes have gone up with a big basket selling for N19,500 and N18,000 as against the former price of between N8,500 and N9,000. Prices of fruits like oranges, pineapples and banana have risen with a bag of oranges now selling for between N7,000 and N7,500 from the  previous N4,000 and N5,000.

A big bunch of banana now goes for N1,5000 and N2,0000 from the previous N700 and N1,000 while the price of water melon has increased from N400 to N600. Prices of frozen fish, and vegetable oil have also increased. The cost of frozen fish has increased with a medium sized fish selling between N300 and N450 as against N150 and N200, previously.

Regretting  this development, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, Emeka Ngige said: “The destiny of Nigerians is on their hands. From what is happening, you don’t need a soothsayer to tell you that people might protest in the days ahead.

The situation is so bad that it is affecting everyone. As I am speaking to you, I experienced the ugly side of this subsidy removal today. When I got to the village, I wanted to buy tyre for my car before Christmas and was told that it was N18,000, I didn’t buy it then because I wanted to buy it after Christmas when I would be leaving the village, but surprisingly, when I went to buy it today, we discovered that the price is now N25,000.

So, you can see how bad it is. If they are claiming that subsidy removal would not bite hard because of the new minimum wage, that does not make sense. This policy has even made nonsense of the minimum wage.”

Imposition of death penalty

The position of  Ngige was also substantiated by Civil Society Organisations, CSOs, in Nigeria. Festus Okoye, Executive Director of Human Rights Monitor, noted the removal of  the subsidy on petroleum products, was described as insensitive, callous and a declaration of war of starvation on the Nigerian people.

Okoye said: “The decision has left thousands of Nigerians who travelled home for the Christmas and New Year holidays stranded in their hometowns and villages in different parts of the country. This is because most of them cannot afford the increase in rates being charged by motorists.

It has also left the Nigerian people despondent, afraid and nervous at what the future holds for them given the irresponsibility of the political elite and their penchant for aggravated mismanagement of the Nigerian economy.

“The decision of the President to remove the subsidy on Petroleum products can lead to generalized lawlessness and endanger democracy and a democratic Nigeria.

Government has been and continues to be insensitive to the plight of the ordinary people of Nigeria by asking citizens who have been groaning under increased and increasing hardship to make additional and back breaking sacrifices while government officials wallow in obscene opulence and are not called upon to make similar sacrifices in the form of reduction in their salaries, allowance and other perquisites of office.”

While stating the position of the CSOs on the issue, Okoye maintained that, “civil society groups and the Nigerian people will hold the President, his kitchen cabinet and the cabal around him personally responsible and accountable for the current deaths and destruction of properties across the country.

Civil society groups and organisations will join forces with all democratic forces to make sure that the imposition of the death penalty on the Nigerian people through the withdrawal of subsidy on petroleum products does not stand. We call on organised labour to take the lead and organise the Nigerian people to massively resist the current imposition of hardship and death on the Nigerian people.”

Reports across the states

Meanwhile, reports across the states, have shown that the multiplier effect of this policy, is bitting harder by the day. From Gambarou Ngala border town in Bornu State to Nembe creeks in Bayelsa State, the story is the same. Suffering  is the word.

Lagos: In Lagos, fares to most parts of the state were increased by over 100 per cent. Fare from Oshodi to Mile 2 was increased from N100 to N200 and N250. Same also is Oshodi to Ojota, which jerked from N100 to N200. Transportation between Ikeja and Yaba now costs N250 instead of the previous N120; Obalende to Oshodi which used to be N70 is now N200.

Ojodu to CMS is now N400 from N150. Commuters travelling to Abuja from Lagos now pay between N9,000 and N8,000. At the Mazamaza Bus terminal,  fare to Port Harcourt is now N7,000 from the previous price of N2,500. Many Lagosians are reportedly staying indoors due to the increasing transportation costs.

Ebonyi: Reports from Abakaliki and its environs revealed that most filling stations in Ebonyi State witnessed long queues, as they sold the product to motorists between N150 and N200. per litre. There were long queues in filling stations that sold the product at N150, while those that sold at N200 per litre recorded low patronage.

The situation had led to increase in transportation fares in the state, and made some travelers to be stranded. A journey from Abakaliki to Enugu, which cost N300, now cost N1, 000, while Abakaliki to Afikpo, which was formerly N250, now cost N900.

Bauchi: It was gathered that from Bauchi to Abuja now costs N2,500 from N1,300, while Bauchi to Jos is now between N800 to N1000 from the previous price of N500. Intra city transport, especially in Bauchi metropolis which is mainly by taxi, buses and Achaba (commercial motorcycles), the fares has increased to over 100 per cent.

Kano: In Kano, fares rose as okada riders  now charge a minimum of  N100 instead of N50, while transport from Bata to Gidan Murtala in a taxi now is N200 and Gwarzo to Kano is now N400 instead of the previous N200. Kano to Kaduna is now N2,000, Abuja is now 4,000.

Anambra: Apart from the NNPC mega stations that sold at N141 per litre, other independent marketers, including OANDO, Mobil, Texaco and Conoil sold at N145 and N150 per litre in Awka, Onitsha, Nnewi, Ihiala, Ekwulobia, Aguleri and other towns.

In all the major towns in Anambra State, fares have increased by 100 percent. Taxi drop from Awka to Enugu which used to cost N600 is now N1000, while Keke NAPEP has increased from N30 to N60 per drop within the town.

Plateau: In Plateau state, commuters travelling to Lagos from Jos now pay between N7,000 and N8,000 depending on the type of car they want to board. Jos to Kano is now between N1,500 and N2,000, up from N1,000. Jos to Yola is also now N3,000 from the previous fare of N2,200.

Also, Jos to Abuja now costs N1,500 from N1,000 and Jos to Bauchi is now N1,000 from the previous price of N500. For intra city transport, the widely used Okada now take a minimum of N50. The previous minimum was N30. Taxis plying the Jos to Bukuru axis now charge between N100 and N120 while the buses charge between N80 and N100.

Abuja: In the Federal Capital Territory, fare from Suleja to Abuja which hitherto ranged between N150 to N200, is now  between N300 and N350; Suleja to Zuba is now N150 from N50; Area one to Jabi is now N100 from N50; Apo bridge to Kabusa is now N200 from N100 and Berger to Jabi is now N100 from N50.

A bus ride from Area 1 in Garki to Berger, Arab and Jabi which used to cost N40 naira now costs N100 naira. A taxi drop from the Federal secretariat to Wuse which before now cost N200, now costs N400 or more, depending on the time of the day. Fares from Zuba to Lokoja, Okene and Edo now stands at N1,500, N1,700 and N3,000 respectively. These prices represent a double of the former fares.

At  Jabi Park in Abuja, cost of transport from Abuja to Kano is now N2, 500 as compared to N1,500. Abuja to Bauchi now costs N2,000 as against N1,150. A trip from Abuja to Lagos now cost N6, 500 as against N4, 400. At the Peace Mass Transit Park, a trip from Abuja to Aba which cost N1, 800 during the festivities now goes for N2,800. Abuja to Enugu is now N3,500 as against N2,500. The subsidy has reportedly reduced  the tempo of economic activities in the state.

Zamfara: The situation is not different Gusau. Gusau to Abuja which was previously N2,500 is now N3,000; Gusau to Kano is up to N1,500 from N1,000; Gusau to Kaduna is now N1,500 from N900 and Gusau to Jos is now N2,500 from N2,000. Passengers to Lagos from Gusau now have to pay N5,500 instead of N4,000 and N4,500 to Ibadan from the previous price of N3,500.

Bayelsa: In Bayelsa, taxi drivers now charge N600 against the former price of N400 between Yenagoa and Ogbia. Yenagoa to Sagbama which was N350 is now between N500 and N600 while Yenagoa to Port Harcourt is now N1,500 against the former price of between N800 and N1,000. Yenagoa to Lagos is now N3,500 from N2,200.

Fuel stations were not helping matters as some of them sell between N150 and N180 per litre. For commuters using riverine transportation, boat drivers now charge N2,000 and N2,500 from Yenagoa to Brass and Akassa against the old fare of N1,500 and N1,800. The southern Ijaw axis now goes for as much as between N3,000 and N3,500 against the former prices of N2,000 and N2,500.

Niger: The cost of travelling from Minna in Niger State to Kano is now N2,000 from N1,200. Minna to Abuja is now N1,500 from N1,000; Minna to Kaduna is now N2,000 from N1,200 and Minna to Lokoja is now N2,200 from N1,500. Minna to Jos is now N2,500 from N1,700 and Minna to Makurdi is now N2,500 from N1,500.

Kaduna: Bus fares have been increased from N50 to N100 in Kaduna. Taxi fare from Kaduna to Abuja is now N1500 as against N1000, Kaduna/Kano route N1200 as against N800 before the removal of the subsidy. Also, Kaduna to Sokoto now costs N3200 as against N2000 while Kaduna to Jos now goes for N2000 from N1,300.

Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and brief.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Chuksxp: 10:07am On Jan 23, 2012
I need help, please. Does anyone know where I can get transport motors in Lagos that travel to Niger state or Minna.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by 3direct: 11:14am On Jan 23, 2012
Chuksxp:

I need help, please. Does anyone know where I can get transport motors in Lagos that travel to Niger state or Minna.
Sabo Yaba!!!
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by megawax8: 11:23am On Jan 23, 2012
Front page?
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by sasview: 11:23am On Jan 23, 2012
Chuksxp:

Oyigbo
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 23, 2012
Can someone send this to jonathan and iweala since both of them claimed they know what Nigerians are suffering ? Stu-pid people.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by jpphilips(m): 11:51am On Jan 23, 2012
Short term inflation

Although, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor, Lamido Sanusi had in December last year, said that the planned removal of fuel subsidy would not trigger high inflation rate in the country, events of the last six days have proved the apex bank governor wrong. “If inflation remains at about 10.5 per cent and if subsidy is removed, we expect it to be at about 12.5 per cent, which is just an addition of two per cent,” Sanusi said at the third Bankers’ Committee retreat in Calabar.

He said the apex bank was aware of consequent inflation as a result of the removal of fuel subsidy, “but most of what is said is exaggerated,”adding that “inflation impact will be present in the short term, but over the long term the benefits of the removal will outweigh it.”

SANUSI THE ECONOMIC MAGICIAN

One big problem of Nigerians is our inability to scrutinize people’s pedigree.

Look at president Jonathan for instance, this is a man with zero success story as both deputy and Gov. of bayelsa state, zero success story as both vice and acting president yet Nigerians delude themselves he is the messiah even when it was clear that unscrupulous people were donating to his campaign, we still believed he will take us to the promised land on luck.

Let us talk about this mystic economic team Jonathan put together, who are these people?
I for one have no bias against any public official in which ever capacity but I have zero tolerance for incompetence.

Has sanusi’s economic model ever worked in this country? Which economic school of thought does he belong to and what is his mission in this country?

I asked this because I am an ardent follower of events in our economic sphere and have never been shy to put Sanusi’s parlance and pragmatism of economic solutions to a test, but as I speak, sanusi’s economic agenda eludes me.

This is a man who inherited a banking sector which according to Business day 2006 edition averred that “for every five Nigerians with a good job, three are bankers”.
Today, we have a Sanusi who in his usual voodoo economic jingoism has created more unemployment and inefficiency in the banking sector than the military junta.

Who is this man Sanusi?

In the words of his predecessor who consolidated these banks, “the banks were more financially robust” and doing bigger business but along the line something happened.
There was partial deregulation and the cost of diesel went all time high and very scarce, some of those companies who took loans from the banks were running high over head cost and couldn’t survive the tsunami of events that followed,
Job cuts, and eventual closure was the case. During the last days of chukwuma soludo, the businesses were already down so no way to repay the bank loans.

The banks were stranded but soludo applied wisdom, in his words ‘’ decision making in the banking system must carry the instrument of perception along’’ and that was exactly what he did, he quickly created an EDW whereby the near distressed banks could quietly access Govt. loans to revive their institutions hoping to keep people’s confidence in tact while the banks gradually recover.

Here comes our Sanusi with his usual economic parlance and political jingoism.
Destroyed the first instrument of perception which soludo fought so hard to preserve by coming on National television to announce that those banks are not healthy. Till date, we lost one of the most viable sectors of this economy; we lost meaningful employments and international confidence in our banking institutions in its entity, thanks to Sanusi’s voodoo economic theories and mystic economic solutions.

I ask again; who is this Man Sanusi and his mission in this country?

I leave you to be the judge of preceding events from Sanusi’s actions. After consulting his economic oracle, he boldly told Nigerians that the way forward is to bail out the banks (which he destroyed) and SME’s (small and medium scale enterprise) hoping that they will bounce back in business to repay the bank loans.

Till date, Sanusi has not given Nigerians the progress report of those bailed out banks and SME’s especially those in the textile business.

Today, by throwing his weight behind full deregulation in the downstream sector simply tells me that Sanusi’s witch doctor did not tell him exactly which economic formula destroyed his banks. Perhaps he thought that his SME ‘’palliative’’ was good enough for miserable Nigerians who don’t mind trading a permanent position job for a contract job which was what his SME’s were offering or rather, our employments for underemployment.

This is a man that ignores the basic on ground economic theories that work in the country for some mystic economic solutions.

That begs the question; should you deregulate fully the downstream sector, what becomes of those SME’s and how do they repay the loans you gave to them considering that energy cost and inflation will triple their over head cost? Or has his voodoo economic solution already categorized them as mere collateral damage in his economic reform agenda?

Let us analyze some of sanusi’s Hennessey inspired economic formulae.

First he said that by withdrawing subsidy they have destroyed corruption and broken the financial bones of the ‘’cabal’’ enjoying rent from this subsidy regime, is this really true?

If the landing cost of PMS is about 110naira and government’s inefficiency bloats it to 141naira (ofcourse, storage,transportation,deumurrage etc as enshrined into the subsidy are all Govts ineptitude).

“Citeris paribus” under the subsidy program, a marketer earns 110-65 (ie if ideally Govt clean their mess)
And without subsidy, a marketer makes 220,180,165-110 who exactly did this economic magician break their finances? Because what I see in my economics kwashiorkor is Govt transferring the burden of import deficit to the people not the marketers losing money like sanusi claims.

Secondly, his liquor economics made him believe that he will save money in the face of spiral inflation, and went ahead to justify the inflation saying it is by a little fraction not more than 2% increase, lol. What indices did this acclaimed “pundit” use in measuring this?

In an economy without a functional price regulatory agency and a comatose standard organization with shabby police officers? In an economy where everybody is his own LGA and can fix rates with impunity? What drives this man’s economic sagacity? Witch craft?

Thirdly,

Sanusi is consistently lying to Nigerians that an increase in pump price will attract investors to build refineries; this is the verge where I think sanusi should go back to school.

SLS is not enlightened enough to understand why there was an exodus of indigenous American companies between 1998 to 2008 to Asia and Africa, reason; COST OF DOING BUISNESS or better put, UNFAVOURABLE BUISNESS CLIMATE.
With unfavorable tax laws, incessant labor wage reviews and land acquisition challenges, most companies couldn’t survive and they left US en masse conversely, land grab in Africa and cheap labor in Asia became viable alternatives.

Today, a drunk CBN governor in his usual rhetoric, capitalizing on the chasm of academic deficiency of average Nigerians is proposing that increase in pump price which will directly translate to high energy cost (in a generator driven economy), spiral inflation and high cost of labor will attract foreign investors to build refineries. Is it not ridiculous?

What kind of voodoo economic theory is that?

sanusi quickly forgot to tell Nigerians that their existing refineries even at a disappointing output is subsidized.
Mr Sanusi should have asked himself, when we deregulated diesel, did we attract heavy duty companies, diesel refineries and why?
According to his business model, I was expecting that after the deregulation of diesel, we would have had companies like CAT,Ingersollrand,Volvo,Ebara,bosh,Groove,Capco etc even refineries enhanced to produce more of Diesel with limited petroleum by products relocating their plants to Nigeria to benefit from our diesel profitable market.

But in reality, that wasn’t the case and i will explain why;

Take shell for example, the presence of SPDC in portharcourt has given rise to a plethora of servicing companies rendering one or two services to shell and that is how it works. These servicing companies are equally employers of labor.

Does sanusi think that the refining companies will be servicing themselves? Is that possible? When you destroy the business environment for these smaller servicing companies to thrive, how exactly do you want the refining companies to thrive? For the few that will survive, at what cost will they render their services? Shouldn’t the investors consider these in their feasibility studies?

How will they cope? If at all it works, most components and services are definitely going to be outsourced to neighboring countries creating jobs for Ghanaians and Nigerians than Nigeria.

Some servicing companies will rather relocate to nearby countries and leave skeletal operations here in Nigeria just to stay in business; sanusi will end up exporting services elsewhere.

I am deeply ashamed and embarrassed at the caliber of people that take decisions for this nation.
I say it for the umpteenth time; we don’t need to create problems to solve problems, what we need is to ensure that Nigeria has cheaper oil on ground, that will attract investors as against sanusi’s high pump price economic theory which will breed inflation and closure of smaller companies.

The IOC’s (international oil companies) operating in Nigeria has told us that it takes less than 12 usd to extract 1bbl of our crude oil.

Why is sanusi not thinking of creating a solution from that angle? if NPDC can guarantee us just 150,000bbl/d of this cheap crude at less than 12usd, the market will be attractive, add refining cost and other cost to push it to about 22usd/bbl a pms of 30naira per litre will be achievable from these refineries and inflation will reduce by over 40%.leaving us with a plethora of servicing companies which will translate to more jobs.

Is this too much for Sanusi to sit and figure out? Other than his inflation marred solution.

Lastly

Sanusi lied that the subsidy re injection fund will be used to build refineries; I can’t help but pity his unrealistic mystic economic solutions.

How much is the FG’s cut in the SURE fund? Less than 600billion, what kind of refinery will that build? I hope sanusi is not confusing refineries for fuel dispensing stations or are we heading for another IMF/world bank debt burden? I don’t just get it.

Where will this SURE funding appear from? I didn’t see it in the 2012 budget proposal, is it right to increase the suffering of the Nigerian people and go back and implement your constitutional annual budget?
Where is sanusi going to get the crude oil to supply these refineries? From the little we make from our JV? I hope this man is not taking us for a ride?

This same crude we use to implement our budget? Which sells at international price? This man is cynical.

How did we end up with two monsters sanusi lamido sanusi and Allison Madueke at the same time?

I can see a pattern in Sanusi’s line of thought;

if a bank is performing poorly, CLOSE IT DOWN

If the subsidy regime is performing poorly; SCRAP IT.

Can Nigerians please help me ask Sanusi if it is a crime to proffer real economic solutions to economic challenges other than throwing away the child with the bath water?

Should we fold our hands and watch our Economic magician Sanusi scrap the economic foundation of our survival?

Sanusi and Allison madueke are doing a great disservice to this nation though I don’t expect Mr. President to fire them because he is too incompetent to read the hand writings on the wall.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by sheyguy: 11:57am On Jan 23, 2012
Oga koruji, i av gone through your harsh but true post about the effect of subsidy. I tried to warn us b4 the subsidy removal (which has not been fully implemented).
A slight increase in wage and cannot cushion the effect of up to 100% in standard of living.
Concerning transportation, i will suggest use of witch craft powers in flying from point A to B, especially for those who already av it.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Nigerd(m): 12:11pm On Jan 23, 2012
@ Topic, Marginally OK

Taxi, Buses and Bike added #10 to the Original Price,

Taxi, from 40-50
Bus from 20 to 30
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Chuksxp: 12:33pm On Jan 23, 2012
Thanks @3direct, but I already asked around. People said there's none at Yaba.

Thanks to you too @sasview, someone told me I would find at Onyigbo too. I was also directed to take a bus to Ijora. I've sent it. Thanks guys for all the help. God bless.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by jpphilips(m): 12:38pm On Jan 23, 2012
@ Topic, Marginally OK

Taxi, Buses and Bike added #10 to the Original Price,

Taxi, from 40-50
Bus from 20 to 30

campus shuttle?
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by FEMARY1: 12:49pm On Jan 23, 2012
Not too much increase in TP really at least within the metropolis

Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by hercules07: 12:50pm On Jan 23, 2012
@jp Phillips, let it rest. @Chuksxp, cross country Jibowu, though they might ferry you around before you get to minna sha o.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Chuksxp: 1:20pm On Jan 23, 2012
Thanks @hercules07, someone suggested that too.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Chuksxp: 1:21pm On Jan 23, 2012
Thanks @hercules07, someone suggested that too.

Oops, double post!
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by israel111(m): 2:09pm On Jan 23, 2012
My fellow nigerians let us be wise PDP government can not favour we nigerians any more and what we need to do is that we should cast them out with our votes in 2015. Beware of ACN, because they have nothing good for we nigerians too likewise CPC because their for war and there government we surely want all nigerian to be muslim.

AM ONLY ENJOIN WE NIGERIAN,LET US BE WISE WE ARE NOT FOOL
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by manny4life(m): 2:30pm On Jan 23, 2012
@JP Phillips,

This your long epistle on ALL threads is becoming tiring, biko, just let it be. If you feel the need the need to write, please limit it to a summary of few paragraph (no more than four).
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Koolking(m): 3:29pm On Jan 23, 2012
The truth is staring in our faces. It can never be ignored. A primary school student who study elementary economics would have predicted a correlative inflation with fuel subsidy removal.

It's a smack of ignorance and unintelligent to hear the govt saying the pangs of the subsidy removal will be felt for a short time. Have things ever improved in Nigeria? Have prices of things ever dropped for the masses even when govt is living in opulence? Billions of Naira is said to be wasted on electricity yet it is still a mirage. Nigerians would have leveraged on electricity has an infrastructure. Late president yar'adua tried to convince the people that fuel could be bought at less than N70 contrary to the popular believed of the same govt. NOTHING ever changed for better in Nigeria. The govt has raped the people's trust. They should stop this cajoling, their competencies have been serious lampooned.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by LEXYLOV: 3:51pm On Jan 23, 2012
Its the part of the fresh air enjoy it. The religion/ethnic sentiment voters. Enjoy your fresh air till 2015 when those prices become multiple more increases. angry
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 4:35am On Jan 24, 2012
Quote: "Such a hike would be outrageous even for Americans. But for a drastically poorer country like Nigeria -- where 70 percent of the population of 160 million lives below the poverty line -- it was insufferable."

Occupy Nigeria http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kwei-quartey/occupy-nigeria_b_1219798.html

Posted: 01/23/2012 6:51 pm

On January 1, 2012, Nigeria's fuel regulator announced that the government was immediately discontinuing its fuel subsidy to help cut government spending, causing an overnight spike in fuel prices from $1.70 to $3.50 per gallon. Such a hike would be outrageous even for Americans. But for a drastically poorer country like Nigeria -- where 70 percent of the population of 160 million lives below the poverty line -- it was insufferable. Cheap fuel is one of the few benefits Nigerians enjoy as citizens of Africa's largest (and the world's 10th-largest) oil producer.

Nigerians responded swiftly to the announcement. Demonstrations, protests and violent clashes broke out, followed by a nationwide strike inaugurated on January 8. The strikes were set to go into a second week when they were called off after the president announced an immediate 30-percent drop in gas prices.

Nigerians took their cue from the Arab spring and Occupy Wall Street, establishing Occupy Nigeria in protest against the gas price jump. "Nigerians have been very quiet for so long," commented Yemi Adamolekun, executive director of the "Enough is Enough" coalition, expressing the same sentiment behind much of the worldwide protests of 2011: people are sick and tired and are not going to take it any more.

There are other antigovernment movements in Nigeria -- the radical Islamist Boko Haram and various armed resistance groups in the embattled Niger Delta, for example -- but the protests against fuel prices are a separate phenomenon. As in the Arab spring, social media played a role in allowing Nigerians to convey information and express their feelings. And while there has been some head scratching over exactly what Occupy Wall Street wants, Occupy Nigeria expressed clear grievances from the very start, including the demand that the government tackle corruption.

At the time of the 2011 Arab uprisings, I suggested to a fellow Ghanaian that perhaps the same phenomenon could take place in Ghana when people finally get fed up with how the nation's new oil industry is creating a Ghanaian 1 percent. I was surprised by his reply that a "Ghanaian spring" was well nigh impossible because Ghanaians don't know any better. But I disagree. I believe that Nigeria's demonstrations today could be a Ghanaian uprising tomorrow. West Africans -- Nigerians, Ghanaians or otherwise -- can engage in expression of widespread discontent. They, too, can force the hand of government. President Jonathan didn't restore gas prices to pre-2012 levels, but he did climb down from $3.50 a gallon to $2.27 -- despite the the New York Times' assessment that "any retreat now on the subsidy could be interpreted as a sign of weakness, which would be harmful for a leader dealing with internal unrest on many fronts."

Nigeria is no newcomer to protest. Additionally, it has a strong history of protest movements led by women. The Igbo Women's War of November 1929 began when thousands of Igbo women vociferously protested a crippling tax on market women by the ruling British colonials, who had set up an undemocratic system of appointing "warrant chiefs" to rule locally. Traditionally the Igbo people had elected their chiefs.

The dynamic Madam Alimotu Pelewura led anti-tax revolts in the late 1930s and 1940s. During World War II, when the colonial government sought to control the pricing and selling of food, Pelewura led women against what became known as the Pullen Price Control Scheme after A. P. Pullen, the government official who proposed it. Nigerian women led many other movements as well, including the Oil Mill Protests of the 1940s and the Tax Revolt in Aba and Onitsha in 1956. Although instigated by harsh economic conditions, these revolts were ultimately uprisings against the impositions of colonial, imperialist rule.

The film Sweet Crude, directed by Sandi Cioffi, tells of a more recent women-led protest against Chevron Oil in 2002, when massive, peaceful sit-ins staged by women prevented oil workers from leaving their worksite.

Nigeria may be geographically far from the United States, but we live in an interconnected world. Because Nigeria is a major U.S. oil supplier, political unrest in Africa's most populous nation could result in price increases at American gas pumps, which would be at best an annoyance and at worst a hardship. There's another way to look at it, however: Maybe a few cents rise in the cost of gas is a small price for Americans to pay for economic and social justice in Nigeria.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by efisher(m): 4:46am On Jan 24, 2012
I drive my own cars so my calculation is based on cost of fueling and maintenance.

Average daily cost of transport is N1,000 and monthly is N30,000. I guess I'm not an average Nigerian.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Beaf: 4:48am On Jan 24, 2012
@OP

Crap.

Transport fares have gone up, but it is bearable and increases are marginal compared to the doomsday predictions of the failed politicians that sponsored people to die needlessly for a govt policy that would ultimately benefit the country.

Are Nigerians in Nigeria up in arms? Why should it be those living abroad spreading bad blood, hatred and bitterness? Some gullible people were taken in and some have died as a result. Life is not cheap, it is a very precious thing, so please stop the hate mongering.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 4:51am On Jan 24, 2012
U are the crap - and u know it too.

Beaf:

@OP

Crap.

Transport fares have gone up, but it is bearable and increases are marginal compared to the predictions of the failed politicians that sponsored people to die needlessly.

Are Nigerians in Nigeria up in arms? Why should it be those living abroad spreading bad blood, hatred and bitterness? Some gullible people were taken in and some have died as a result. Life is not cheap, it is a very precious thing, so please stop the hate mongering.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Beaf: 5:01am On Jan 24, 2012
koruji:

U are the crap - and u know it too.

I guess thats the best that can come from an unrefined, hate-filled person. You're only ruining your health.

From your abode in some far off land, you claimed to have predicted that transport fares would double. Not stopping there, you went on to claim that your prediction was correct!
It would take some doing for a man that lives abroad to know what the man on the ground is feeling. No?

Well, Nigerians in Nigeria are telling you that your doomsday prediction never came to pass and that Nigerians have absorbed the cost. So why are you still frothing and why are you still wildly red-eyed, don't you think enough people have died yet?

You really need to take a deep breath, calm down and get rational, before you lose it completely.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by dayokanu(m): 5:16am On Jan 24, 2012
Egbon mi razist,

Where are the buses Retardeen promised Nigerians to power our generators?
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 4:02am On Jan 25, 2012
I am not going to waste my time on your irrational rationalizations.

I have being watching Nigeria and this subsidy issue for long enough to know that your kind of people litter the corridors of power in Nigeria.

You are a curse on the people you are supposed to serve - that would be "serve" in case you missed it, not "lord it over"

Beaf:

I guess thats the best that can come from an unrefined, hate-filled person. You're only ruining your health.

From your abode in some far off land, you claimed to have predicted that transport fares would double. Not stopping there, you went on to claim that your prediction was correct!
It would take some doing for a man that lives abroad to know what the man on the ground is feeling. No?

Well, Nigerians in Nigeria are telling you that your doomsday prediction never came to pass and that Nigerians have absorbed the cost. So why are you still frothing and why are you still wildly red-eyed, don't you think enough people have died yet?

You really need to take a deep breath, calm down and get rational, before you lose it completely.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 4:05am On Jan 25, 2012
On the bolded, I think that is what GEJ & his subsidy-removal partners had in mind for the average Nigerian grin grin grin

sheyguy:

Oga koruji, i av gone through your harsh but true post about the effect of subsidy. I tried to warn us b4 the subsidy removal (which has not been fully implemented).
A slight increase in wage and cannot cushion the effect of up to 100% in standard of living.
Concerning transportation, i will suggest use of witch craft powers in flying from point A to B, especially for those who already av it.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 4:08am On Jan 25, 2012
@efisher

Your estimated transport expenditure is actually not too far from what an average Nigerian with the same transportation distance needs spend a month - particularly for those who live in Lagos.

efisher:

I drive my own cars so my calculation is based on cost of fueling and maintenance.
Average daily cost of transport is N1,000 and monthly is N30,000. I guess I'm not an average Nigerian.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by koruji(m): 3:35am On Jan 31, 2012
GEJ cannot have his cake and eat it too. You can't increase the price of an essential commodity by 50% or more and tell the populace to "absorb" it.

Thinking that because the strike was called off meant all is good and dandy is the beginning of fallacy for the FG. It is merely the difference between a burning flame and smoldering embers.

Fuel subsidy: Public sector workers demand new wage http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/31/national-31-01-2012-004.html
By BIMBOLA OYESOLA
Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Workers in the public sector have called on the state governors to review their take home pay to reflect the current state of the cost of living foistered on them by the recent increase in the cost of petrol. In a letter entitled: Increasing cost of living and public sector workers’ remuneration, signed by Marcus Omokhuale, national secretary, Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council and addressed to all the state governors, the workers called for urgent opening of a window of negotiations towards establishing a new wage regime for workers that would be in consonance with the current state of their cost of living as a motivator to a higher productivity.

“This is especially in states where the new minimum wage and other salary structures were whittled down, during the negotiation, because of the hitherto lean purse of the various states,” the workers said.

The Joint Council noted that with the income of states now taking a new shape as a result of the increase of PMS pump price from N65 to N97, the governors were implored to fully adopt the new minimum wage in full to shore up workers take home-pay to enable them meet up with some of their immediate responsibilities and reduce the obvious restiveness, as a result of frustration in the system.

The national secretary drew the attention of the governors to the astronomical rise in the cost of living consequent upon the recent hike in fuel pump price and the dire impact on the public servants, whose wages and purchasing power had been drastically undermined.
According to him: “It is a statement of fact that the growth of an economy depends on reasonable purchasing power for effective demand to be actualized in the market. Equally, workers productivity is motivated by their wages.
“Your Excellency is no doubt aware that the remuneration of workers has lagged far behind the inflation rate and this is being worsened by the steep increase in fuel pump prices.”

The Joint Council scribe stated that as Nigerians, the current situation calls for necessary action to raise remuneration as state policies should be seen to impact on the living standards of the creators of the nation’s wealth.
“We are all aware that energy is central to both production and consumption in a modern economy. This is, particularly so, for the movement of prices in a country such as Nigeria, where the level of infrastructural development is abysmal.
“Workers require petrol to power generators, at home as more often than not there is no electricity supply from Power Holding Company of Nigeria
(PHCN).”

The Joint Council believed that it was not an unrealistic demand as governments across the federation, would benefit from the revenue accruing to the Nigerian state from the partial removal of fuel subsidy.
In the same vein, the workers had also condemned the excessive tax (PAYE) being deducted on monthly basis from workers salary.

The PAYE, the council noted, tends to paint a picture of a case of giving with one hand and taking away with another hand.
“For this case, not to look so, there is therefore the dire need for your government to take a serious look into it, with a view to reviewing the existing computation on the basis of which the PAYE is being made,” the council said.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by Nobody: 4:26am On Jan 31, 2012
@ jp philips
Appreciate the write ups, particularly about the NPDC and if policy makers can implement a restructuring of the company then there will be better days ahead.
Sad to note many poor kids are dropping out of school due to economic challenges to their families.
Re: Transport Cost Of The Average Nigerian by konos(f): 4:17pm On Oct 10, 2014
lari03:
@ jp philips
Appreciate the write ups, particularly about the NPDC and if policy makers can implement a restructuring of the company then there will be better days ahead.
Sad to note many poor kids are dropping out of school due to economic challenges to their families.
Yeah? Our forefathers went to farm and sent our fathers to school. Why wont those that have job go back and farm to enable his child stay in sch. The problem is everybody wants a white or blue collar job. Nobody wants to go back and farm. They feel it is degradin ;Ddegrading cheesy

(1) (Reply)

$3million bribery: Farouk Lawan in police custody / Abdulmumuni Abiola: Nigeria Not Ripe For Youth President - MKO Abiola’s Son / Debt Profile: Fashola Justifies N160bn State’s Debt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.