Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister (13554 Views)

DPR Issues 21 Licences For New Refineries- The National Mirror / More Shocking Corruption Reports Coming - Says Govt / EFCC Drops N6bn Fraud Charges Against Ex-works Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by BlackPikiN(m): 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2012
Abuja – The Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, says part of the benefits that will accrue to Nigerians from the withdrawal of fuel subsidy will be the building of three new refineries.

The minister who spoke at a forum in Abuja on Sunday said this would help Nigeria to process its crude and meet local consumption.

“Nigerians should know that this oil resource has been given to this country over the years have not been properly managed. We have another opportunity to get it right.

“Niger Republic and so many of our neighbouring countries are building refineries around us with the intention to sell to Nigeria and with this deregulation policy one of the major gains will be the building of three new refineries.

“I want Nigerians to know that when these new refineries are completed, we will be a net exporter of petroleum product and prices will begin to come down, just like we are witnessing in the telecommunications sector with the GSM regime.

“That is my message to Nigerians. Let us support government, let us join hands with government because government cannot and will not take any decision with the aim of punishing fellow Nigerians. It is impossible. So, Nigerians should have this at the back of their minds.’’

The minister said the refineries would be located in Lagos, Bayelsa and Kogi states.

“The one in Lagos is with the capacity of 200,000 barrels per day, while the ones in Kogi and Bayelsa have the capacity to produce 100,000 barrels per day,’’ Onolememen said.

He added that what would be produced by these new refineries would complement the production by existing refineries which would all have had their on-going turnaround maintenance completed.

The turnaround maintenance “will bring the production capacity of the existing four refineries to between 90 per cent and 95 per cent.’’

Onolememen expressed confidence that the increased level of production would enhance Nigeria’s status as a net exporter of petroleum products. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/three-new-refineries-coming-says-works-minister/
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by blacksta(m): 9:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
In the land of blind, the one eyed fool becomes the king but not necessarily the wisest
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by OAM4J: 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2012
When will they stop talking about building these refineries and actually start building it. I have been hearing about this proposal for months now.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by 1025: 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
until we see these refineries at work, we will still look forward to buying fuel at N65 per litre. shame to these confused set of pdp criminals.
God will put u all to shame sooner than u will expect.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by teaf: 9:50pm On Jan 08, 2012
OAM4J:

When will they stop talking about building these refineries and actually start building it. I have been hearing about this proposal for months now.

Until GEJ Administration understands its real priorities. And until it sacks animals like BEAF and get really busy with its MAIN priorities and stops been just a newspaper and internet government.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Osama10(m): 9:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
Why can't the existing ones function at full capacity?
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by iGuru1(m): 9:58pm On Jan 08, 2012
if we support the government and look in to the future, i tink we might benefit from it. Nigeria has alot of money, so we cant stop coruption, but over look it.
Lets support our president.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by aljharem(m): 9:59pm On Jan 08, 2012
i-Guru:

if we support the government and look in to the future, i tink we might benefit from it. Nigeria has alot of money, so we cant stop coruption, but over look it.

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing, etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by laithanman: 10:00pm On Jan 08, 2012
hahaha!! See Jonsin, ds man feels he's talkin 2 d apes in d 16th century! He bilives d common nigeria 2 take this hook linen & sinker. When would these pple stop usin palatable words 2 fool Nigerians? I've been hearing for years now that new refineries would be erected yet nothing.We dont need the sweet words, act & act now. Let's see work in progress then we might believe you
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by blacksta(m): 10:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
then remove the subsidy when they arrive - why not fix the existing ones instead of building new ones. Oyinbo people call that one " quick wins"
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by saintohia: 10:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
They shld stop deceiving themselves. If Nigerian govt. can't build new refineries without removing fuel subsidy, they shld damn it. That's one of the things that must (needed to) be in place b4 they start dreaming about removing subsidy. If FG don't have money to build the refineries, they shld use one (or two) month salary and allowances of FEC, Upper & Lower House to build them as their own part of the sacrifice to the Nigerian course.

Secondly, we want the FG to show us a blue print that must be implemented, on how those that have cases to answer in the oil sector and Nigerian Economy will be probed, to regulate corruption.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by najoke: 10:05pm On Jan 08, 2012
alj harem:

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing,  etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

In Nigeria today, we have  No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

^
Bros, 3 gbosa for u,u don hit the nail for head.

@beaf and friends

where una dey now angry
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Lasinoh: 10:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
What a culture of waste and mismanagement.
Like everything African and Nigeria. . . You need to maintain your old wife/husband first before you marry another one.
God bless America. . . my home sweet home! cool
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by muyoto: 10:08pm On Jan 08, 2012
How much is it going to cost? and where is the money coming from?
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by drstan(m): 10:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
@alj harem,.i suport u final, , but d tin is dat why is NASS rufusing EFCC to investigate dose behind d subsidy scaming
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Buckie10: 10:11pm On Jan 08, 2012
We are really being punished with the kind of leaders we have had in Nigeria, bar a few of them the rest have been absolute muppets. These lot haven't even tried fixing the existing ones yet they are talking about building new ones. So much has been said of what is going to happen to the so called savings from the fuel subsidy, first it was to improve infrastructure even though every single year they budget to improve these same infrastructure, secondly it was to provide more revenue to share amongst the three tiers of government even though the lot of them can't even account for what they already receive, and now we have another clown telling us it's going to be used to build new refineries, will these jokers ever learn!
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by babestella: 10:11pm On Jan 08, 2012
the man called Mr. Mike Onolememen is as dumb as a goat, I think a goat is even better and wiser. I don't know why people once they get into government tend to lose their sense of reasoning and proper ways of doing things.

My advise to GEJ if he would listen.

Since GEJ wants to use our hard earned money to finance capital projects, let him remove fuel subsidy, and then do the following project in phases:

1. Build 1 refinery at a time and commission it. Then tell Nigerians it cost xyz amount to build and work it on per litre of fuel consumed daily for xyz number of months to be deducted as we buy fuel. when that is complete, you revert back to 65 naira per litre for another 6 months.

2. take on the next project, e.g. modern hospitals all across Nigeria, say 3 in each state. When completed, lets know how much it cost and we fund it the same way and have another 6 months rest.

3. Import government owned fleet of transportation e.g. BRT buses, to ease and improve transportation, and lets funds it the same way.

This can apply to rail system, and lots of things the govt wants to provide.

Since the reason why they want to remove subsidy (if there had been any) is to fund capital expenditure so that they can provide social amenities, I think it should be done the way I have suggested above and not just making money off Nigerians for another set of greedy people to divert it to their pockets.

we are talking about project, corruption will still derail the whole thing, because process of bidding for contracts in this country has been marred with corrupt and sharp practises by our govt officials, the problem of over invoicing and inflation of contracts are there, so you see that our hard earned money might just end up in some private bank accounts across the world.

Nigeria needs to be delivered now, it is time we take over and take our destinies in our hands.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by dasparrow: 10:12pm On Jan 08, 2012
They should build the refinaries first, make sure they are working and generating revenue and then, think of scrapping fuel subsidy. Our politicians are fond of making promises that they cannot keep so I will not hold my breath. Was it not the same government that promised improved electricity by April 2011? We are in 2012 and electrical power is still crappy. They should stop fooling us because the games they are playing with us is over!
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by babestella: 10:13pm On Jan 08, 2012
Since GEJ wants to use our hard earned money to finance capital projects, let him REVERSE fuel subsidy, and then do the following project in phases
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Pukkah: 10:13pm On Jan 08, 2012
For God's sake, do these folks think they are still campaigning for votes?

You won an election! Act now and quit promises! No one is ever honoured for what he is going to do except what he is able to do.

These spokesmen are becoming really annoying. What do they take Nigerians for? Why haven't you touched the existing refineries for maintenance since the time this subsidy issue has been on your plan? Can you now see why no right thinking person trusts the government?
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by iGuru1(m): 10:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by reagand200(m): 10:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
The Federal Government should bow its head in shame:

They can be likened to a sinking man.
The CABAL Government has held the TIGER BY ITS TAIL.
We shall be subsidized only after the Government has been DEREGULATED.
They should hands off from CRUDE OIL TRADING,and let reputable Nigerian professionals take over since they cant make good use of the proceeds.

Tomorrow is our INDEPENDENT day!  

Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by aljharem(m): 10:17pm On Jan 08, 2012
na_joke:

^
Bros, 3 gbosa for u,u don hit the nail for head.

@beaf and friends

where una dey now  angry

they can't answer because they benefit from it. smh

drstan:

@alj harem,.i suport u final, , but d tin is dat why is NASS rufusing EFCC to investigate dose behind d subsidy scaming

NASS all of them should be investigated as well

They are all the same in this GIANT WEB OF CORRUPTION. If the NASS refuses (I need a link for your claim) then GEJ should veto it and the PUBLIC WOULD SUPPORT HIM
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 08, 2012
I am so happy with d manner @
which concerned citizens of this
country are responding to issue of subsidy removal. This have proved dat we cannot be fooled by our leaders again. But let me ask, what will be your response if GEJ fulfills
all his promises & in no distant time
things get working well for Nigeria? Can those of us who has INSULTED their PRESIDENT stand d shame? Pls, let's give him a chance, and if he fails, we can crucify him. Remember, he wont fail us if we dont try him. Also let's show that there is such thing like RESPECT-for-our-leaders in our replies cultures & norms.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by aljharem(m): 10:18pm On Jan 08, 2012
i-Guru:

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing, etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

5. Now remove subsidy.

In Nigeria today, we have No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by upengineer: 10:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
I dont know who is deceiving who now. The Minister of Petroleum Resources said Govt cannot run refineries, Minister of Works said Govt will build new refineries. So, who do i believe
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
These so called political leaders always coin words /phrase in English Language to deceive us before it was "cushioning the effect" now it is "palliative measure" Full of subtlety they are like cloud without a rain and a smoke without a fire. Whether they like or not this is democracy they must fulfil part of their promises in order to gain people confidence.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by victorazy(m): 10:21pm On Jan 08, 2012
They should borrow money and build it first if not no removal.
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by aljharem(m): 10:22pm On Jan 08, 2012
Lujan:

I am so happy with d manner @
which concerned citizens of this
country are responding to issue of subsidy removal. This have proved dat we cannot be fooled by our leaders again. But let me ask, what will be your response if GEJ fulfills
all his promises & in no distant time
things get working well for Nigeria? Can those of us who has INSULTED their PRESIDENT stand d shame? Pls, let's give him a chance, and if he fails, we can crucify him. Remember, he wont fail us if we dont try him. Also let's show that there is such thing like RESPECT-for-our-leaders in our replies cultures & norms.

[size=13pt]Give him a chance. HE HAS ALREADY BEEN GIVEN THE CHANCE, HE IS NOW OUR PRESIDENT[/size]. Haba

the chance is that the GREAT PEOPLE OF NIGERIA ENTRUSTED HIM AS THE PRESIDENT.

what other chance do you want from the people ?

Yes those insulting the president are dumb I agree.

[size=13pt]Now why should Nigerian be looking again ? Do you want to ruin US FINALLY before you know we have taken enough ?[/size]

Lastly, this is not about GEJ but the entire government from Local, state and federal
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by doctokwus: 10:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
I wonder why some people are not seeing this show for what it is:rehearsal for 'month of a thousand laughs',featuring GEJ,his cabinet members,sycophants& hangers-on.They are trying their best(poor one so far) to b amongts d main act
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2012
Batam:

These so called political leaders always coin words /phrase in English Language to deceive us before it was "cushioning the effect" now it is "palliative measure" Full of subtlety they are like cloud without a rain and a smoke without a fire. Whether they like or not this is democracy they must fulfil part of their promises in order to gain people confidence.  
 GEJ is sincerely a true man of the people. This 2012 will witness total transformation
Re: Three New Refineries Coming Says Works Minister by babestella: 10:29pm On Jan 08, 2012
WHY CAN'T OUR PRESIDENT ORDER A STRONG PROBE INTO THE LONG LIST OF THE BENEFICIARY OF THE ACCLAIMED OIL SUBSIDY MONEY, WHY?

WHY IS HE AFRAID TO PROSECUTE ALL OF THEM, OR ARE WE SURE HIS HAND IS NOT ALREADY SOILED WITH MONIES RECEIVED FROM THE CABALS. IS HE AFRAID THEY MIGHT OPEN THE CAN OF WORMS WHICH EVENTUALLY WILL GET TO HIM AND HIS COHORTS.

HAVE WE WONDERED WHY OKONJO IWEALA RESIGNED FROM WORLD BANK TO COME PICK MINISTERIAL POSITION IN NIGERIA??/?? IS IT THAT SHE LOVES THIS COUNTRY SO MUCH OR WHAT. HOW MANY NIGERIANS HAS GOTTEN PLACEMENT IN WORLD BANK AND IMF AS A RESULT OF HER INFLUENCE?? MILLIONS OF NIGERIANS ARE JOBLESS AND SHE IS TELLING US THAT REMOVAL OF SUBSIDY WILL CREATE JOBS, HOW CAN PEOPLE HAVE JOBS WHEN THEY ARE KILLED BY AN ECONOMIC BOMB FROM GEJ AND HIS COHORTS.

THIS IS JUST FOOD FOR TOT, IT LEAVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED, SHINE YOUR EYES NIGERIANS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Leader Threatens The United States / FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad / More Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists Surrender In North/East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.