Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,940 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? (7806 Views)

How Can I Get A New Car Through Finance?? Lagos / Is Shipping My Car Through RORO Port Safe And Is AES Shipping Company Reliable? / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

^^^^^^^^^
Point well taken. But a 2012 R8 is not a NECESSITY.

What one may deem necessary is subjective.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^^^^^^

Until then,

How many govt workers can afford cars over N1m?

Naija is no joke!

Awaye.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena:

What one may deem necessary is subjective.

Of course. But 2012 R8 is NOT for BASIC transportation. That should not be debatable.

"Must have" and "Wishlist" are 2 different things.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 4:08pm On Jan 11, 2012
kolnel:

Can someone pls give me the cost of clearing an 03 honda accord• 04. Honda accord. 97 camry and 99 sienna from tin can port. On the hapag Lloyd line.
Thanks a lot.

Was it shipped RORO or containerized?
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2012
@ Kunle: Sure, Nigeria's no joke. Which is why I applied your analogy to the NPF fleecing Nigeria's citizens, their excuse is they're underpaid. Would you say the extortion they use to supplement their meagre salaries is justified?

And like Femmy2010 said, if a new person was in charge of the port, and refused to be bought, what then? My thoughts are he might be "persuaded" to resign, or even killed.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^^You are comparing apples and oranges. when somebody needs a car and all he has is N800k. No more. If we can bring in a car for him and pay a little bit more to clear with genuine documents why not. I/WE WILLINGLY GO INTO IT.

Extortion is different. A police officer did not see a signature on your document and then alluding to the fact that it must be a "stolen" vehicle to extort you is quite different.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 11, 2012
Who is Sienna? Oh boy d guy speaks with some authority cry
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by saques: 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2012
I think you can, contact this agent for more clarification 08033037419
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

Of course. But 2012 R8 is NOT for BASIC transportation. That should not be debatable.
"Must have" and "Wishlist" are 2 different things.

As I said previously, it's all subjective. To one that would rather ride in a 2010 Maybach, the 2012 could well be basic transportation. Wealth and poverty also subjective - a billionaire that's down to his last million, running a Bentley Continental, living in a luxury Penthouse in New York could be classed as poor, based on the life he's become accustomed to, compared to one that has $75,000 sitting in the bank, running a 2007 Toyota Camry, and living in a modest apartment in a middle-class suburb.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

^^^^You are comparing apples and oranges. when somebody needs a car and all he has is N800k.

Bro, the comparison is pretty valid. For 800,000 Naira, I can land a 1999 Toyota Camry (facelift) in Lagos. My profit will be a lot smaller than if I'd landed a 1993 model, but at least the buyer will have a newer car, and clearing costs will be the same for a '99 and '93.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:34pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena:

As I said previously, it's all subjective. To one that would rather ride in a 2010 Maybach, the 2012 could well be basic transportation. Wealth and poverty also subjective - a billionaire that's down to his last million, running a Bentley Continental, living in a luxury Penthouse in New York could be classed as poor, based on the life he's become accustomed to, compared to one that has $75,000 sitting in the bank, running a 2007 Toyota Camry, and living in a modest apartment in a middle-class suburb.

Next time you are stranded at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, i hope you wait until someone with a Bentley or R8 shows up to pick you up. When we are talking BASIC. I mean BASIC.

Siena:

Bro, the comparison is pretty valid. For 800,000 Naira, I can land a 1999 Toyota Camry (facelift) in Lagos. My profit will be a lot smaller than if I'd landed a 1993 model, but at least the buyer will have a newer car, and clearing costs will be the same for a '99 and '93.

Check very well. You probably won't find one with 110k original miles. Petrol prices are going up here. You can't believe what 1997-1999 Camry's are going for these days.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

Extortion is different. A police officer did not see a signature on your document and then alluding to the fact that it must be a "stolen" vehicle to extort you is quite different.

Different method, same old analogy. The police officer is still "boosting" his salary, so he can afford all the better things in life. He's still breaking the law. It's still corruption. The customs official that has to be "settled" in order to allow an over-age automobile through, is still "extorting".  wink So either way, people are still getting screwed, and there's a payment going through without a valid receipt, in addition to the regular clearing fee.  cheesy
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by kizito96(m): 4:40pm On Jan 11, 2012
try but be careful
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Akiika: 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2012
To you guys flaunting your illegal activities online, i say shame on you. You all make noise about Govt. officials being corrupt yet you are doing the same thing. Only God knows the kind of leader you'll be if you get the opportunity to be in public service. You complain about the sorry state of Nigeria, what are you doing to make it better? breaking the law and bragging over it.
@Fhemmy, can you do that in the US you lived without facing the music? Have you wondered why you are able to live in the US successfully, it is because the people and the Govt. respect the law. Now talking about your illicit transactions and dangerous cars you circumvent the law to ship to Nigeria. How safe are those cars in Nigeria, i bet all of the safety features of those cars are gone, seat belt, air bag e.t.c Tell me how a 1993 car can survive the Nigerian road for even 6 months. You are not helping the uninformed buyer my friend.
By the time you add all the cost of the car including shipping and clearing in Nigeria,, then it's overpriced for the present value of the car. If only our useless Govt. invest in vehicle manufacturing, people will not be compelled to buy a "coffin" for that much money thinking it's a car.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:43pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena:

Different method, same old analogy. The police officer is still "boosting" his salary, so he can afford all the better things in life. He's still breaking the law. It's still corruption. The customs official that has to be "settled" in order to allow an over-age automobile through, is still "extorting".  wink So either way, people are still getting screwed, and there's a payment going through without a valid receipt, in addition to the regular clearing fee.  cheesy

At least when i am being "extorted" by the customs by bringing underage cars into the country, at least i have a say in it. when police delay when you are traveling trying to find what's not lost. That is different. You need to live in Naija for a while. Not just on visit.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2012
@Akiika . . . What has all your writings got to do with Fhemmmy?
Please could you edit your post please . . . Thanks . . . . I am not here boasting of nothing and note that Fhemmmy is always humble, cos i am nothing without Him that gives me the grace.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

Next time you are stranded at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, i hope you wait until someone with a Bentley or R8 shows up to pick you up. When we are talking BASIC. I mean BASIC.

So you're shipping in 1993 Toyota Camrys as a public service, so in the event you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, a '93 Camry will pick you up? C'mon guy! This is all about $$$!  cool What does being stranded in a remote area have to do with the import of an over-age automobile?  wink

Kunle-A:

Check very well. You probably won't find one with 110k original miles. Petrol prices are going up here. You can't believe what 1997-1999 Camry's are going for these days.

Brother, I'm an engineer, not a dealer. I know what to look for in a clocked car, I also know what's realistic and consistent with regards the mileage displayed.  smiley
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:46pm On Jan 11, 2012
Akiika:

To you guys flaunting your illegal activities online, i say shame on you. You all make noise about Govt. officials being corrupt yet you are doing the same thing. Only God knows the kind of leader you'll be if you get the opportunity to be in public service. You complain about the sorry state of Nigeria, what are you doing to make it better? breaking the law and bragging over it.
@Fhemmy, can you do that in the US you lived without facing the music? Have you wondered why you are able to live in the US successfully, it is because the people and the Govt. respect the law. Now talking about your illicit transactions and dangerous cars you circumvent the law to ship to Nigeria. How safe are those cars in Nigeria, i bet all of the safety features of those cars are gone, seat belt, air bag e.t.c Tell me how a 1993 car can survive the Nigerian road for even 6 months. You are not helping the uninformed buyer my friend.
By the time you add all the cost of the car including shipping and clearing in Nigeria,, then it's overpriced for the present value of the car. If only our useless Govt. invest in vehicle manufacturing, people will not be compelled to buy a "coffin" for that much money thinking it's a car.

Speak all the grammar you want. I will say the same thing a year ago. Please leave your Houston cushy comfort place and go visit Naija for an extended period of time and you will understand.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 4:50pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena:

So you're shipping in 1993 Toyota Camrys as a public service, so in the event you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, a '93 Camry will pick you up? C'mon guy! This is all about $$$!  cool What does being stranded in a remote area have to do with the import of an over-age automobile?  wink

Brother, I'm an engineer, not a dealer. I know what to look for in a clocked car, I also know what's realistic and consistent with regards the mileage displayed.  smiley

I sure am not doing it for charity. In case you are yet to catch on. cheesy

But seriously at this stage, do you think you are the only one that recognize a clocked car when you see it. Or you mean to tell me that there is no 1993 vehicle out there with no less than 100k miles. Or they must all be clocked? undecided
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

At least when i am being "extorted" by the customs by bringing underage cars into the country, at least i have a say in it. when police delay when you are traveling trying to find what's not lost. That is different. You need to live in Naija for a while. Not just on visit.

Brother, extortion is still extortion, regardless of how you view it. And as per having a say in being extorted by customs when bringing in a over-aged automobile, I beg to differ. If you don't pay, your car can be seized. The moment you choose to break the law, you're at the mercy of the enforcers of that particular law. They've got you by the balls, you're out on a limb.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

I sure am not doing it for charity. In case you are yet to catch on. cheesy

Brother, I caught on that from your first response with regards the OP's query. smiley

Kunle-A:

But seriously at this stage, do you think you are the only one that recognize a clocked car when you see it. Or you mean to tell me that there is no 1993 vehicle out there with no less than 100k miles. Or they must all be clocked? undecided

Of course I'm not the only one who can recognise the tell-tale signs of a clocked automobile. I only posted about mileage issues in response to what you posted below:

Kunle-A:

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by AMERICANEX(m): 5:03pm On Jan 11, 2012
American Export Lines
30 years in the industry.
30 years of sound / solid business to Nigeria
The best prices for containers and Roll on Roll off in the market is available through us.

We operate out of New Jersey United States - but can handle work from any major US port.
Ship with a reliable company - that knows all the rules.

John Strozyk
JSTROZYK@AEL.SHIPPING.COM
(973) 824-2333

Currently a ro / ro is $910.00 "all in" port to port. East Coast of United States to Tin Can Terminal - 18 days service.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by BizBooks(m): 5:04pm On Jan 11, 2012
I do not fault Kunle for bringing in over-aged cars. I only fault him for sharing too much information. It would have suffice to say that over-aged cars can be brought in through Lagos and leave it at that. That would have answered the initial question posed by the poster which is "Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos?"

Despite what the law says, over-aged cars are brought into Lagos regularly. It is an open secret and everybody knows that. I personally do not support the "ban" on importation of cars older than 15 years. The primary reason being that older cars used in Europe and America are usually in much better condition than their newer counterparts used in Nigeria. For instance a 1995 Camry imported from the US will most likely be in far better condition than a 2000 Camry used in Nigeria.

So given the option of buying a 1995 Camry from the US and a 2000 Camry used in Nigeria, a sizable majority will choose the former.

1 Like

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Lexusgs430: 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2012
Guys, I love all this argument and positive inputs from Nairalanders. What this has done is enlightened people that want to ship in older cars, that yes, it is very possible to ship in cars into the country that do not meet the cut off year requirements. Lets view it as a 'win win ' situation for everyones budget !

@ Kunle A - Kudos to you. You did not only say it is possible, you also attached a picture to proof !!!

1 Like

Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 5:08pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena:

Brother, extortion is still extortion, regardless of how you view it. And as per having a say in being extorted by customs when bringing in a over-aged automobile, I beg to differ. If you don't pay, your car can be seized. The moment you choose to break the law, you're at the mercy of the enforcers of that particular law. They've got you by the balls, you're out on a limb.

You NEED to live in Nigeria for a while. Not just visit. Then come back to tell me what you see. At least, i chose to give my balls to them. Ask multitude of people that paid for Prepaid meter and don't see it for 2yrs while they are paying "estimated" bills. You wanna talk of extortion?

Even if you bring in a 2010 car with all duty fully paid, when you come upon customs checkpoint, they will still ask for "officer on duty fee" (N1,000). and what happens if you don't pay? I hope you have all the time in the world. All the police checkpoint you come across will demand N200. Why? just because.

You will encounter between 6-8 police check points from Lagos to Ibadan. And possibly 2 customs check points. Try and fight and argue your way through all of them, come back and tell me what happens.

Awaye
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 11, 2012
BizBooks:

I do not fault Kunle for bringing in over-aged cars. I only fault him for sharing too much information.

That was my concern, which was why I said he may wish to edit his response, and deal with the OP privately.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 5:14pm On Jan 11, 2012
BizBooks:

I do not fault Kunle for bringing in over-aged cars. I only fault him for sharing too much information.

Nothing said here is news. Lets call a spade a spade.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by elite(m): 5:18pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena, kindly avail me ur email address, or forward it to uchstar4@yahoo.com. I wanna make some enquiries from you cool
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 11, 2012
Kunle-A:

You NEED to live in Nigeria for a while. Not just visit. Then come back to tell me what you see. At least, i chose to give my balls to them. Ask multitude of people that paid for Prepaid meter and don't see it for 2yrs while they are paying "estimated" bills.

Even if you bring in a 2010 car with all duty fully paid, when you come upon customs checkpoint, they will still ask for "officer on duty fee" (N1,000). and what happens if you don't pay? I hope you have all the time in the world. All the checkpoint you come across will demand N200. Why? just because.

So it's a case of "if you can't beat them, join them", is it? That being the case, I wonder what the strikes and protests in Nigeria are about. Strikes and protests are about voicing displeasure. I don't need to live in Nigeria to know what's happening there, it's common sense. I follow Nigerian news, both online and on Cable TV. I'm more in tune with Nigerian affairs than you could imagine, bro. We can't continue to justify corruption, because it suits us to do so.

I'm sure our dear "Agbada-clad" corrupt politicians attempt to justify their actions too. "Let's all rob the country blind, because our predecessors did the same". LMAO.  grin

The point is for what a '93 Toyota Camry costs landed in Nigeria, a '99 one can be had.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 11, 2012
elite:

Siena, kindly avail me your email address, or forward it to uchstar4@yahoo.com. I wanna make some enquiries from you cool

Elite, email sent.
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by KunleA2(m): 5:39pm On Jan 11, 2012
Siena:

So it's a case of "if you can't beat them, join them", is it? That being the case, I wonder what the strikes and protests in Nigeria are about. Strikes and protests are about voicing displeasure. I don't need to live in Nigeria to know what's happening there, it's common sense. I follow Nigerian news, both online and on Cable TV. I'm more in tune with Nigerian affairs than you could imagine, bro. We can't continue to justify corruption, because it suits us to do so.

I'm sure our dear "Agbada-clad" corrupt politicians attempt to justify their actions too. "Let's all rob the country blind, because our predecessors did the same". LMAO.  grin

The point is for what a '93 Toyota Camry costs landed in Nigeria, a '99 one can be had.

Even when you bring in your 99, lets see how you will not be "extorted" at various police and customs checkpoint on your way home. God forbid you are going to Delta State with a newly imported "tokunbo".  That is if you did everything by the book. Try and lecture your way out if that.

Watching on TV or online is not the same as being there. Sometimes your blood will boil so much when you encounter these people that you can cook a meal with it.

And for the cost of the '93, its not a hard and fast rule that an older car MUST cost less that a newer one. Its all in the QUALITY of the car. As long as its OK with the buyer, its fine with me. Most '93-96 camry are selling in the same price range in Lagos but the difference is that most are Cotonou cleared and MUCH higher mileage.

Here i stand

Awaye
Re: Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? by ignis: 5:54pm On Jan 11, 2012
Yes you can,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mazda CX-7 2007 and Nissan S Thoughts(pics in post$ / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! / The Honda Crosstour Is Dead - And No True Car Guy Will Miss It!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.