Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders (15621 Views)

Count us out, South-South tells Biafra agitators. Source: Vanguard Newspaper / Biafra: Count Us Out Of Self-determination Move —enugu Igbo Leaders / Count Us Out Of Threats To Southerners – Middle Belt Youth Congress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Ayoolu12: 10:09pm On Jan 09, 2012
I forgot to add a very apt Yoruba saying which translates;"when you hear people shouting trouble, trouble, trouble outside, and you refuse to go out and see whats going on, the trouble will eventually get dumped in your backyard".
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2012
Are you saying ibos in lagos also support the removal ? shocked shocked
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
Everybody has the right to choose to protest or Not. You can not compel others to go on strike because you are on strike. That is against the spirit of democracy. It is called Fascism.

TUC and NLC members in the East are on strike. My nephew and niece are not in school for this reason.
However nobody can compel traders to go on strike. They have never been on strike alongside NLC, historically. so it is ridiculous why you think you can pass such a shameful comment because people in a democracy who choose not to join your protest have chosen to do so.

Are Taxi drivers in Lagos on Strike? Just as you associate Igbos with trading, in the South we associate Yorubas with Taxi Driving. Are Taxi drivers on strike? Are cattle rearers in the North on strike alonside the NLC? Are farmers in the Middle Belt on strike along the NLC?

The kind of hate comments you guys come up with while you wallow in ignorance is shocking! Shame on you for celebrating the religious killing of Easterners in the North. But know this, no matter what you do or say, you will never think for the Igbo man. We will continue to do as we please. Thats what democracy is all about.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Ayoolu12: 10:20pm On Jan 09, 2012
Nobody is asking you not to think or act as you please, we are only saying that when the consequences of those thoughts and actions (or inactions) come, don't go blaming others. Period.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 09, 2012
Right or not,are ibos affected by this policy yes or no ?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 09, 2012
So the consequencies of not protesting fuel subsidy is getting attacked for being christain? The last time I checked NLC is yet to protest the xmas day bombings.

And know this, the traders earns his money by opening his shop. Striking for a trader is self inflicted purnishment because only he will loose. While members of NLC are guaranteed salary under law while on strike the trader is not.
So your argument is both hateful and silly.

Anybody protesting Government policy by not openning their shop is on their own. Traders dont have minimum wage. If you dont open your shop you no go chop. It is that simple. So you can not ask them to go and protest for you.

Besides you have not told me why you are not bullying Taxi Drivers in Lagos to go on strike or Cattle Rearers in the North to go on strike. Why are South East traders being singled out?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Obiagu1(m): 10:29pm On Jan 09, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Affected? Yes
A sound policy? Yes
Should we protest? No, because it is a good policy
Adjusting? Yes

Within 3 months, things will normalise in the SE.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 09, 2012
The last time i checked reports say there was no movement in lagos except if you are among the protesters even okadamen were harassed talkless of taxi drivers.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by aljharem(m): 10:32pm On Jan 09, 2012
reason for Obiagu supporting the removal

Obiagu quote

This is the reason for the protest.
Check the base of those companies list; North and SW.

Carry go GEJ, no more oil thieves!
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 09, 2012
~Bluetooth:

People in Otueke (Jonathan's village) and Oloibiri (where crude was 1st discovered) are also affected by the subsidy removal, so also are folks in South East. The last time I checked there is no village self sufficient on petrol refining in Nigeria whether legally or illegally.

But traders pass on higher cost price and expenses to consumers, that is why price of goods rise.

(Selling price = cost price + profit)!

If cost of petrol increase, and cost of transportation and other things increase, cost price of goods will increase and that is why you have resultant high cost of selling price on everything. Some may shrink profit margin to encourage sales, others may keep their profit margin and see a dip in sales. So this does affect everybody. But the trader has no choice but to open his shop because he has no guaranteed wage at the end of the month. He has no minimum wage!!!!

So why should traders close their shop?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by aljharem(m): 10:38pm On Jan 09, 2012
The governors and co should educate themselves and stop tribalsim

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing, etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 09, 2012
I wasnt expecting the ijaws in otueke to support subsidy cuz jonathan is their son.are ibos also doing so cuz of jonathan's ibo blood in him ?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 09, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I wasnt expecting the ijaws in otueke to support subsidy cuz jonathan is their son.are ibos also doing so cuz of jonathan's ibo blood in him ?

I think you are just being stupid.

I am Igbo and I don't know any member of my family who support subsidy removal.

People opening their shops does not mean support for subsidy removal. People not protesting on the street does not mean that either. Produce historical fact that a previous Government Policy Protest since after 1970 has had the most turn out in the East.

Whether it is Abacha, or IBB or Jonathan. Whether Military or Civilian, people just get on with their life in the East. That is the fact and is no different this time. If you choose to read a different meaning to it, that is your problem.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2012
Na wao,all these in your attempt to justify the hungry ibo men that opened store today.Every single region in Naija have come out to say this policy is not in the interest of the common man but only the SE are still supporting it.Does ibo view differs from that of the yorubas and ND that also support the removal tally ?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 09, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Na wao,all these in your attempt to justify the hungry ibo men that opened store today.Every single region in Naija have come out to say this policy is not in the interest of the common man but only the SE are still supporting it.Does ibo view differs from that of the yorubas and ND that also support the removal tally ?

OK agreed Igbos are hungry and that is why we choose to open our shop.

Come to the East and close it for us. You cant produce a single fact or answer a simple question, all you know how to do is make hate comments. Honestly you need to get a life.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2012
Hate comment ? You are also being tribalistic by trying to justify the attitude of the ibos to an issue that may cause serious havoc to Nigeria.will you also make this kind of comment if ibos have joined the protest this morning ?
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jan 09, 2012
If that is what tribalism is all about I am glad to be called a tribalist. And guess what, if NLC like let them call strike another 10 times people will open their shop and have a right to do so.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by warrior01: 11:26pm On Jan 09, 2012
mikky, thanks for keeping that rat where he belongs.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by sixtus4: 2:50am On Jan 10, 2012
It is true that we ndi Igbo were able to reason along with Mr Presido.But i hope it will not turn to tribal war as other tribes are complaining about ndi igbo's decision.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by jason123: 2:56am On Jan 10, 2012
sixtus4:

It is true that we ndi Igbo were able to reason along with Mr Presido.But i hope it will not turn to tribal war as other tribes are complaining about ndi igbo's decision.

No, it won't. Though, people are generally disappointed because even the SS protested (The highlighted is all over twitter and facebook). Anyhow, there is freedom of speech et.al!
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by emmatok(m): 2:59am On Jan 10, 2012
sixtus4:

It is already a tribal war .

Did not the-same Igbos protest when ObJ proposed the-same Subsidy removal.

Now they are singing different tone.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by OK2NV: 3:01am On Jan 10, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

I forgot to add a very apt Yoruba saying which translates;"when you hear people shouting trouble, trouble, trouble outside, and you refuse to go out and see whats going on, the trouble will eventually get dumped in your backyard".
[size=15pt]WHO LISTENS TO YORUBAS IN NIGERIA AGAIN OTHER THAN YORUBAS THEMSELVES? NO ONE.
YOUR SIDELINE ATTITUDE AND CONTINUOUS AND UNCONTRIBUTIVE CRITICISM HAS PUT YOU BEHIND THE SE AND SS.
BURN YOUR CITIES, R@PE YOUR WOMEN, LOOT PROPERTIES IT WILL NOT BRING BACK SUBSIDY.
AT THE END OF THE DAY, THE AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WILL HAVE NO ONE TO CRITICIZE BUT HIMSELF.
TRUE TALK NO DEY SWEET.
[/size]
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 3:01am On Jan 10, 2012
Fear.

They look to GEJ for protection.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by missuzoma: 3:04am On Jan 10, 2012
happy that for once umu igbo took a stand all their own despite all the noise. democracy mens being free to believe what you choose. by the way who gave some people the impression that their stands on issues are always correct? we all have our selfish reasons as individuals and tribes for choosing what to support. leave umu igbo alone if they think de strike is a waste of biz time. a lot of peeps feel same way and and are being forced to be part of it with threats.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by preselect(m): 3:06am On Jan 10, 2012
As an able Igbo son, if I were in Nigeria, I won't come out to protest. I have yet to see nigerians line up to protest when Hausa barbarians kill my people in the north, shouting alahi Akbar. This happens year in year out and people don't protest. Not on nta no protest time and again. That is the most important issue for me today. Anytime Nigerians are ready to protest that, I will know that Nigeria is serious.

As for the subsidy, Let them remove it. If the country would burn, let it burn. But Nigeria can't continue the way it is today. This is the 21st century, either we develop, or we self destruct. Ghana is rising, Botswana, Tanzania etc. we take things for granted. Niger republic has built a refinery, we don't have a viable university, even soccer is no more. Corruption, violence, incompetence at utmost levels. Enough!!!  Let it burn, perhaps from the ashes, a new nation will rise. If we have to fight civil war 2 this is the time. But what we should not accept is the status quo.

This is my opinion. I don't care if you like it. Infact you can go to hell for all I care.  cool
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by jason123: 3:08am On Jan 10, 2012
OK2NV:

[size=15pt]WHO LISTENS TO YORUBAS IN NIGERIA AGAIN OTHER THAN YORUBAS THEMSELVES? NO ONE.
YOUR SIDELINE ATTITUDE AND CONTINUOUS AND UNCONTRIBUTIVE CRITICISM HAS PUT YOU BEHIND THE SE AND SS.
BURN YOUR CITIES, R@PE YOUR WOMEN, LOOT PROPERTIES IT WILL NOT BRING BACK SUBSIDY.
AT THE END OF THE DAY, THE AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WILL HAVE NO ONE TO CRITICIZE BUT HIMSELF.
TRUE TALK NO DEY SWEET.
[/size]

You want to start another tribal war, abi??
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by sixtus4: 3:10am On Jan 10, 2012
thanks a lot for your encouragement.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Yomboy4ever(m): 3:17am On Jan 10, 2012
Why wont we count dem out? Dats why dey can nevr rule dis country. Its unfortunate biafra war lord is late nd i knw he is ashamed of his pple write now. Can u imagine most of dem r still stranded in ther villages due to d increase.
Anyway d true ibos r in lagos nd they r part of dis struggle against d badluck jona.
come 2015 ur elders will come to lagos begging tunubu to win d s/w for them.
Al d gov in S/E cant stand fashola alone.
Lagos is nigeria. mumuuuuuuuuuuuu ajokuta ma mu omi,
Nchara:

Wow!!!!

So this is how Gbawe and the gang of ACN and Buhari thugs wasted their time?
You must return all the bribe money you chop and failed to deliver!!!!

Fashola and Tinubu has finished all your money, increased fees 1000% and toll-gated everywhere, yet una no bring down Lagos
Una wan come bring down Nigeria? You think Nigeria begins and ends in Lagos, abi? olodo rabata
Even when a drop of oil is not produced in that your [b]useless zone ([/b]save for Ondo, which is more of an Edo territorygrin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Losers, gbogbo yin.
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by sixtus4: 3:21am On Jan 10, 2012
Bro easy,i like your spirit.You are a man of intergrity,you always air your view.Thanks for that.But if they increase togate fee to 200000,people will still pay
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by Nobody: 3:21am On Jan 10, 2012
emmatok:

It is already a tribal war .

Did not the-same Igbos protest when ObJ proposed the-same Subsidy removal.

Now they are singing different tone.

I will like more evidence on this claim? I will like to know what markets closed under OBJ to protest fuel subsidy thank u.

Yomboy4ever:

Why wont we count dem out? Dats why dey can nevr rule dis country. Its unfortunate biafra war lord is late nd i knw he is ashamed of his pple write now. Can u imagine most of dem r still stranded in ther villages due to d increase.
Anyway d true ibos r in lagos nd they r part of dis struggle against d badluck jona.
come 2015 your elders will come to lagos begging tunubu to win d s/w for them.
Bluetooth folks are really not interested in running your Nigeria. And btw I am glad to say that your Nigeria functions so well as Igbos are not involved!
Re: Strike: Count Us Out –south-east Traders by jason123: 3:23am On Jan 10, 2012
OK2NV Can you see the type of moro.ns you attract?? Check below, birds of a feather folk together!

Yomboy4ever:

come 2015 your elders will come to lagos begging tunubu to win d s/w for them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Diezani In London For Cancer Treatment - SaharaReporters / Ramadan: Book Haram Planning Bombing – Army / AirForce To Launch Aerial Operation In South-South – Air Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.