Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? (8764 Views)

NLC: Buhari Now Captive Of Forces Of Subsidy Removal, Deregulation / Ngozi Okonjo Iweala – The Woman Who Could Break America’s Control Of The WB / Iweala The Imf/world Bank Agent Vows To Resign If Gej Return To 65 Naira <Rumor> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 1:51am On Jan 10, 2012
sholatech:

Have you ever heard Jonathan criticise the NASS jumbo pay? At least Obsanjo even called them Thieves in Public. Have we witnesses Jonathan fighting corruption or looking for way to cut his own excessive luxury or those of his fat cat political contractors?but its easy for him to say the masses should suffer a little while they continue to enjoy in comfort of more funds for wastes?
[size=15pt]
Jonathan Jonathan Jonathan, I know if your wife is not able to take in, its still Jonathan's fault[/size]
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by rango2011(m): 1:53am On Jan 10, 2012
@LeoMax , which money,who's going to pay for subsidy,lol, its not an essential commodity, if you don't want the tshirt,you don't buy,na by force to wear #occupynigeria tshirt,jeez stick to the thread,fuel is an essential commodity, both the rich and poor enjoy.You don't subsidise tshirts, someone like you would probably buy some cheap ass white tshirt and carry a green marker and write #occupynigeria on it with your hands. smiley
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by oiseworld: 1:55am On Jan 10, 2012
minimium of 4 lifes have gone now over the protest,  NLC should have opted for just a strike and no protest,  see wat we've done to our fellow nigerian

pls give this team a chance, if you don't trust or believe in the govt you voted for, then who would you trust. and remember the situation of how GEJ became the president of this country, we all said it was God that sent him, does it mean we no longer trust God's Judgement. pls let's give them a chance.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 10, 2012
rango2011:

@LeoMax , which money,who's going to pay for subsidy,lol, its not an essential commodity, if you don't want the tshirt,you don't buy,na by force to wear #occupynigeria tshirt,jeez stick to the thread,fuel is an essential commodity, both the rich and poor enjoy.You don't subsidise tshirts, someone like you would probably buy some cheap Bottom white tshirt and carry a green marker and write #occupynigeria on it with your hands. smiley

[size=15pt]
You are right. People like me use green markers on white shirt. I hate to be you. Selling stuff for $20 to make a living. Last time I checked my balance, I can afford to buy and burn a few million pieces of those rags if not that I support DE-carbonization of the atmosphere. Anyway, you can start somewhere, If life meant well for you, you would have been back home building filling stations to benefit from the deregulation. I guess Food Stamps wont let you [/size]
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 2:02am On Jan 10, 2012
oiseworld:

minimium of 4 lifes have gone now over the protest,  NLC should have opted for just a strike and no protest,  see wat we've done to our fellow nigerian

pls give this team a chance, if you don't trust or believe in the govt you voted for, then who would you trust. and remember the situation of how GEJ became the president of this country, we all said it was God that sent him, does it mean we no longer trust God's Judgement. pls let's give them a chance.
Word of Wisom from a wise man
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Victoradelakun: 2:06am On Jan 10, 2012
percieve, don't be decieved, and decide.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 2:07am On Jan 10, 2012
Victoradelakun:

percieve, don't be decieved, and decide.
Welcome to Nairaland. Your very first post
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by rango2011(m): 2:09am On Jan 10, 2012
@ LeoMax, jeez, u are a goodluck shoe licker, that guy doesn't know what he's doing, from day 1, when he took over from yaradua, his incompetence was glaring.Well if ur a die hard goodluck fan, you can buy his tees here : www.zazzle.com/9jawear/gifts
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by rango2011(m): 2:13am On Jan 10, 2012
Now back to the thread,all we are saying, cut government costs,when they keep awwarding over bloated contracts , their not complaining, they want to impoverish the masses of nigeria.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 2:13am On Jan 10, 2012
rango2011:

@ LeoMax, jeez, u are a goodluck shoe licker, that guy doesn't know what he's doing, from day 1, when he took over from yaradua, his incompetence was glaring.Well if your a die hard goodluck fan, you can buy his tees here : www.zazzle.com/9jawear/gifts
Young man, some people dont just like to be seen in $20 outfits. Take your trade to eBay
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by demoise: 2:22am On Jan 10, 2012
LeoMax:

Welcome to the planet of Conspiracy theories. People like you still think Osama Bin Laden and Tupac are living in Cuba with Fidel Castro. No disrespect meant  grin[/b][/size][/color]

I wonder have u ever tot about how the government runs do u know as a top govt official u dont buy gas in your tank u have allocation y cant they be prudent tell me what other benefit do the people of 9ja get from the govt i am in the US i met few nigerians that got quality education from europe free of charge but there noting like that in 9ja saudi arabians when dey study abroad they pay their tuition and give them stipend as long as they keep good gpa what we see from 9ja are politicians kid coming here to show off stolen wealth how sad govt officials go around with huge motorcade they can cut all dose what do u wanna say about 1B NAIRA FEEDING BUDGET FOR ASO ROCK cant they feed from their pay check what of $50Million allocated to first ladys office one thats not recognized by constitution LEOMAX face reality except u are a sadist or beneficiary of the policy which i dont think it ll benefit the common nigerian there are so many wrong things
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by dasparrow: 4:35am On Jan 10, 2012
demoise:

I wonder have u ever tot about how the government runs do u know as a top govt official u dont buy gas in your tank u have allocation y cant they be prudent tell me what other benefit do the people of 9ja get from the govt i am in the US i met few nigerians that got quality education from europe free of charge but there noting like that in 9ja saudi arabians when dey study abroad they pay their tuition and give them stipend as long as they keep good gpa what we see from 9ja are politicians kid coming here to show off stolen wealth how sad govt officials go around with huge motorcade they can cut all dose what do u wanna say about 1B NAIRA FEEDING BUDGET FOR ASO ROCK cant they feed from their pay check what of $50Million allocated to first ladys office one thats not recognized by constitution LEOMAX face reality except u are a sadist or beneficiary of the policy which i dont think it ll benefit the common nigerian there are so many wrong things

I won't waste my precious time responding to certain posters like Leomax on this forum if I were you. They belong to the 1% elite who do not not feel the suffering of the masses. I remember when SAP was introduced in 1986. That is how the government told us then that it will work out for the betterment of the country. Today, Nigeria is still in the deplorable condition she has been in since God knows when. I can never forgive our politicians for selling us to western imperialists for a plate of porraidge whilst wasting the lives of the youths.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by GboyegaD(m): 4:57am On Jan 10, 2012
Nigerians are so gullible. I am so sure in the near future if this subsidy removal is not reversed more people will come back to cry regrets as usual. We open our eyes and choose to follow the crowd even when we know it is not the right way all because we love to be wannabes and never real. Subsidy removal is not the right step now.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Drlumi: 5:26am On Jan 10, 2012
I'm using my phone and can't quote directly from the article. But did anyone notice the following:

1. She admits that the governors wanted it before she came. When did Nigerian governors (as a whole) start knowing what is right for the people? Isn't that already a danger sign? Governors with flamboyant lifestyles would definitely want more money to pay minimum wage and yet embezzle more!

2. She admits that every government wanted it- from Babangida to Obasanjo. In other words, there is nothing original about the policy. If governments that massively looted Nigeria are now her example, isn't that another danger sign?

A good look at that interview shows that the fuel subsidy removal was not a necessity but a way of following the path of percieved least resistance. If you read in between the lines, you will realise that she came to realise the 'importance' of removing the subsidy only after getting into power. This is the same woman who tried to negotiate her salary in dollars (and considering how grossly overpaid Nigerian politicians already were, you can imagine what she would have been aiming to earn). So, she doesn't have the moral right to fight corruption. Sorry, world bank economics is not everything. Mahatma Gandhi made a very sound economic decision when he decided to live by example. He lived like the typical Indian, wore their clothes and ate their food. He became a hero because he valued the people. Even Jesus sef "who being rich, for your sakes became poor". A leader that is not ready to lead by example and personal sacrifice is a tyrant.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Rhino5dm: 5:59am On Jan 10, 2012
Madam "world bank" puppet. You should learn how to stop digging when you are in hole.

Stop covering lies with more lies. . .its morning time!. . . .Next world bank agenda.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by DeRadical: 7:52am On Jan 10, 2012
LeoMax:

Last time I checked, PDP controls majority in the senate[/b][/size][/color]

LeoMax:

Once more refineries comes on board prices will fall due to competition. Have you heard of scrapping of PHCN ? Thats commendable too. VI axis has at least 18hrs electricity for the past 1 week. Trust me, we will end up spending less on PMS if electricity is steady

Bros, are you the same person as BEAF? No offence meant oo! just asking. i just noticed you react exactly like him.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by igbonla(m): 8:01am On Jan 10, 2012
She made sense in her response, subsidy has been a recurring decimal in our economic equation before her arrival and will continue to be until it is finally nailed down. Let's give it to her, she is good and is the kind of woman any business concern would pay millions to have on the board.

I think people should stop making reference to IMF/ World Bank and Ngozi, we are a people capable of developing and executing growth strategies without IMF et al. Decisions such as the subsidy removal are typical of a capitalist economy, the problem here is more with the execution. GEJ could have done a better job in the packaging and delivery.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by seedorf123: 8:05am On Jan 10, 2012
CAN U SEE USELESS WOMAN

Mr. President Sir and Fellow Nigerians, it is yet another shame of insult in far away Vienna, Austria, Europe. According to a shocking bomb revelation by a free daily newspaper in Vienna, Austria called “Heute”, there is a secret mansion villa worth 20 million euro bought by the current oil minister Mrs Allison Madueke. The headline reads “ Ministerin aus Hungerland Kauft sich 20-Millonen-Villa in Wien” (Female Minister From Hungerland Buys Herself 20 Million Euro Villa In Vienna). As provoking and insulting as this headline yet I have been forced to swallow my pride to say that I am very grateful to “Heute” for the exposure of this unpatriotic display of the oil minister because her behavior is more provoking and insulting than the headline.

Here is the full translated version of the above text as reported by the newspaper:
“Big turbulence about the Nigerian Oil Minister Diezani Allison-Madueke (50)! According to Nigerian media the politician is said to have bought a villa in Vienna for just under 20 Million Euro – even though a major part of the population in her home country is living below the poverty line and children are dying daily of starvation. The exact location of her luxury lodging is secret, but Allison-Madueke is enthusiastic about the big garden and the estate referring to it in the internet as “architectonic masterpiece”. One of her neighbors is said to be former OPEC boss Rilwanu Lukman who is also from Nigeria.”
The “Heute” newspaper said that their news was taken from Nigerian media and I have tried to google such news without success. However, I trust them because they are civilized and cannot publish such damaging news like this one without being sure. Consequently oil minister, we are expecting you to challenge the newspaper in court and restore your dignity if you say it is not true or bow out from that position peacefully.

Dear Nigerians, we all know how impossible it is for a civil servant to save 20 million euro cash in buying a house. In a developed country like Austria where I am living you cannot live above your income without being questioned by the authority. Therefore, how did the minister get this huge amount of money in buying such a mansion? When did she buy the “Villa”? Could it be before she became a minister or after? Could this be her only mansion outside Nigeria? Is she the only minister or government official involved in this wickedness? If this money should be in Nigeria it will definitely help our economy. With this money factories could be comfortably opened and jobless graduates rooming around the streets gainfully employed and crime reduced. How did this get exposed you might ask? Nigerians are very curious and furious. Rumor moving round Vienna, Austria has it that the person that helped her in buying the house was not properly settled, therefore “Yawa must gas”. Those that are praying for Nigeria should please never stop praying because God is in control. Remember our president appealed to us Nigerians to keep on praying for him because he is seeing terrible Goliaths all over Nigeria. Goliaths he said that are ready to kill their father and mother, even their children just to stop his government. Today we can shout hallalujah because one of those Goliaths has been miraculously exposed through our prayers.

Another interesting open secret was the saying that her luxury mansion was close to that of the former oil minister Rilwanu Lukman. What it could mean is that the former ex oil minister’s house cannot be at anything less than Allison Madueke’s mansion in terms of value and luxury if not more. If this should be a true statement, when did Rilwanu Lukman buy his own mansion? How did he get such money? As a former public office holder he must equally be investigated.

Will EFCC do their job very well? Or are we going to see another probe committee that will never see the light of the day as usual? I weep for my country!
On this note Mr. President Sir, I as a concerned angry Nigerian humbly request for the immediate suspension of this minister, because she will not honorably resign due to the uncivilized way of most Nigerian politicians with regard to past events. I also appeal to Nigerians in Austria through this medium to come together and support a planned peaceful protest by a group of concerned Nigerians. Furthermore, I equally appeal to other Nigerians all over the world to get in touch so that we may have a one day worldwide protest against this shame if possible, because we are all involved.
Mr. President Sir, Nigerians are watching.

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by igbonla(m): 8:12am On Jan 10, 2012
LeoMax:

Once more refineries comes on board prices will fall due to competition. Have you heard of scrapping of PHCN ? Thats commendable too. VI axis has at least 18hrs electricity for the past 1 week. Trust me, we will end up spending less on PMS if electricity is steady

The bolded part, sir, is a big lie!

Refineries are not like telecoms services that thrives and become cheaper with improved technology. There is a baseline cost of refining that is pretty high as long as the price of crude oil is high. Profits are dependent on huge turnover (on very low profit margin). Most of the costs on the PPPRA template will still be there (http://www.pppra-nigeria.org/pms.htm), the price will further go up by the time the taxes are added as required by the law.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Goodbishop: 8:20am On Jan 10, 2012
PMS isn't fuel for power plants,production facilities, heavyduty trasportatn trucks& even luxury buses.It's used by d middleclass/car owners to drive around& nt to employ workers &produce guds&services. Subsidy was removd frm diesel which is critical to manufacturing/employment creation by OBJ, Nigerians did nothing then cos it was blue collar workers that got retrenchd frm factories, I am a strong advocate for subsidy IF they are for production and not consumption -SANUSI
Let's face it, is Nigeria a consuming nation or producing nation?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by otokx(m): 8:38am On Jan 10, 2012
Ngozi lies, her family is in the USA, she is a CIA agent.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Meldrick(m): 8:52am On Jan 10, 2012
otokx:

Ngozi lies, her family is in the USA, she is a CIA agent.
A very childish comment.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by bodejohn(m): 9:06am On Jan 10, 2012
Her retinue of lies made us pay 16Billion dollars in one swoop to the Paris Club some couple of years back. Where are roads, jobs, power, hospitals and other infrastructure that she promised? How does she want us to believe her now?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2012
Tunmi:

I am for the removal of fuel subsidy but this woman needs a communication course. If you want to convince people, you have to put some effort into it. Actually talk to the people not at the people. Right now, Nigerians are upset because they do not trust the government.

1. The date for the removal of subsidy was in April, it got moved to the first of January
2. The buses the president promised, as inadequate as they were, went from 1600 to 1100.
3. Past experience has shown that the Nigerian government, particularly PDP, does not care about the people.
4. This administration has not been an example. You live a lavish lifestyle, about 1 Billion Naira for feeding in one year, while the people experience hardship. Haba!

It really got to a point where Nigerians could not take it any longer. And now the current administration is promising heaven and earth.

First it was that the money from the subsidy removal would be split between the three tiers of government.
Then it was that the money would be used to build three new refineries. What happened to the ones we had? Why can we not fix them?

Add onto that, the Boko Haram saga. It is really ridiculous.

The govt has to earn our trust but they either do not realize that or they choose not to realize it. They could present a timeline, with actual costs, of what this money is going to go to. Or, they could prosecute one of the many corrupt officials in Naija.

I like the protest because for once, Nigerians are no longer sitting and praying and hoping. They are actually doing something and this scares the Nigerian government. The protest is more than just for the removal of fuel subsidy. It is against wasteful spending and absolutely ignoring the will of the Nigerian populace. They are tired of the government assaulting them whenever they want, really.

infact i just love you pieces for this post, my thoughts exactly! The fact remains, this govt has never been trusted, and will never be trusted, it's a govt based on lies. I cant imagine during this melee, the finance minister still finds time to go for medical checkup in the U.S.A and at the expense of govt most likely. So what's the solution, govt should build trust, promise less, but deliver more on the past promises. Am tired of govt telling me i'll have good roads, light, healthcare, education, 1million jobs, these are basics!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by totorimi: 9:53am On Jan 10, 2012
Those who built the titanic said it was unsinkable but it later sank. The best policies can turn out bad at the end, the best thing to do for a noble person is to admit a mistake in the implementation and retract the steps. Who will replace the many lives lost as a result of this thoughtless subsidy removal. Ofcourse there is always a better way to do this thing than the manner and approach adopted.

All I can tell GJ is that when the chips are down, Okonjo, Deziani, Sanusi, all of them boasting now that subsidy removal is the only way will be gone they wont be there again.

I am even more than surprised that, Namadi Sambo, Adeboye and Dame Patience these are people closer to GEJ have not said anything inspite of the fact that blood have been shed on this course.

If GEJ has no answer to the present crisis then let him bow out honorably and see how these issue that seems complex can be resolved amicably without any rancour.

There is always a million ways to solving a problem.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by biometrics: 12:52pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=16pt]"NO" is an instrument of IMF who came in diguise to fool GEJ", destabilize our Naira against the Fuc.king Dollar[/size]
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by biometrics: 2:11pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=16pt]I knew Gej will surely be campaigning for 2nd term. Is this the way out or dem wan bobo all the naira and disappear to the thin air.[/size]
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by trw: 8:23pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nigeria...the land flowing with milk and honey.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by GboyegaD(m): 11:49pm On Jan 10, 2012
igbonla:

She made sense in her response, subsidy has been a recurring decimal in our economic equation before her arrival and will continue to be until it is finally nailed down. Let's give it to her, she is good and is the kind of woman any business concern would pay millions to have on the board.

I think people should stop making reference to IMF/ World Bank and Ngozi, we are a people capable of developing and executing growth strategies without IMF et al. Decisions such as the subsidy removal are typical of a capitalist economy, the problem here is more with the execution. GEJ could have done a better job in the packaging and delivery.

I would appreciate you list 2 or more policies in the past that we have ever implemented in real terms outside the paperwork which has led to growth and I can give you the Structural Adjustment Policy (SAP) sold to Babangida which turned our economy from worse to worst.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: The Face Of Subsidy Removal? by aydotcome: 4:09pm On Jan 11, 2012
Its right time i make a contribution on nairaland.The fact remains our leadership is at its lowest ebb of governance since civil war.The spate of killing and attacks shows that our security is weak.Ordinary pressure from sectarian group from the north (boko haram) is threatening the stability of a nation (Nigeria)!.A spokesman of the group said that, "The group is stronger than Nigerian army"! what a shame! This got tell tell us that our leader (GEJ) is weak! The issue of BH is a fundamental issue (security) that need to be addressed, before the implementation of the removal of subsidy that was advised by his technocrats who doesn't know what Nigerians are passing through.
Must you listen to what everybody says? There are two people that fails in life. "Those that listen to everybody and those that listen to nobody".The fact that someone has a PhD in Economics and works in World bank does not guarantee a good economic policy.She is just a theoretician of world bank as far as am concerned.In Her economic policy on subsidy, she did not adequately analyzed the impact of the removal of the subsidy on the populace that they govern.The removal of fuel subsidy will results in increase in PMS cost resulting to high cost of transportation.A multiplying effect will be felt in other sectors including production and services,Thereby resulting into a higher cost of doing business.This will result in paying more to get less, thereby increasing the hardship for average Nigerians.With the level of unemployment in the country, who can stop robbery and other sort of social vices that will come as a result of this situation?  Anarchy looms!
The fundamental issue here is that Mr president is clueless, and i can bet you, he is afraid TO FACE OPPOSITION, unlike his predecessor Obasanjo.Imagine a president saying he doesn't have the heart of a lion.Infact, he takes more than a lion heart to lead this nation.Taking a oath of office to be the number one citizen of this nation, you are taking a responsibility to lead more than 150 million populace! It takes more than a lion heart to do that right! Our leaders do not see their position as service to the nation.They are suppose to serve us, but we are serving them! we elected them to manage our resources for the betterment of the nation, but they are using it for the betterment of themselves!
Jonathan has not shown any form of competence, not even an iota of it, that he can govern this nation.Not even once has he addressed the issue of corruption because it is not part of his agenda and he is afraid.We are leaving our destiny in the hand of a man who LUCK HAS BROUGHT HIM TO POWER.Luck might have brought you to power, but can not SUSTAIN YOU IN POWER.
What stops Mrs finance minister from advising Mr President  to cut down cost, and criticize excessive spending and looting in government just like OBJ and CBN   GOVERNOR has publicly done to NASS.And if it is not her suggestion has she claimed that the removal of subsidy was suggested by the governors, why can she advise otherwise as the minister of finance from world bank! An economist! Then, Whats the point having her on board? Its has good has having no finance minister because the situation is having no difference!
Its time we Nigerians need to get it right.Fight corruption, and elect capable leaders.
I stand to be constructively corrected if am wrong.Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gov. Obi To Invest N25B In Equity Before Leaving Office / We Are Not Easterners Anymore! / Ayade Vs Agi: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.