Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All (1842 Views)

Buhari & Ojukwu Protesting Against Obasanjo's Govt (throwback Pic) / Why Are Yorubas Not Protesting The Fulanis Forceful Occupation Of Kwara??? / Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Justcash(m): 4:17pm On Jan 14, 2012
I have heard a lot of people saying that the Nigerian masses are protesting against corruption. That is a big lie!
Nigerian masses want the price of fuel to be returned back to 65 Naira. That is what they are protesting for. The message is quite clear.

In essence, they care less about corruption and bad leadership. As long as they keep getting subsidy (awoof) from government, the government can freely steal them blind!

If I was GEJ, I will return the price of fuel to 65 Naira. The polity will become calm. I will eat my budgetary allocation billions in peace, while Nigerians enjoy the subsidy. I will also steal enough, so that when debts pile beyond control, I will go and live in Mars with my private space craft. I KEEP WONDERING WHY GEJ IS BOTHERING HIS LIFE TO SAVE NIGERIA FROM AN IMPENDING DOOM! NA WA FOR THAT MAN O!

IT IS OBVIOUS THAT NIGERIANS PREFER CORRUPTION. WHAT A FRIGGIN PITY!
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by aljharem(m): 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2012
OP your thinking is abit shallow

People are not only protesting for subsidy or corruption but also Boko haram, negligent of the Niger-delta, killing of Christians etc. This is way beyond subsidy because subsidy has been removed in the past and there have never been a protest like this. Nigerians have had their cup filled and they are venting out their anger on the government.

It is a shame that you as a Nigerian cannot see this and even foreigner in a world reputable newspaper can see it.

This is the sort of shallow and selfish thinking that has made Nigeria one of the most backward country in the world.

I would urge you poster to investigate and rethink THE REASON WHY PEOPLE ARE PROTESTING. It is on wikipedia and all over the internet.

You can educate yourself about the protest but one thing I can say is that it has gone beyond fuel subsidy. wink smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by efisher(m): 4:37pm On Jan 14, 2012
Acid test: If we revert to N65, will the protests continue? Will the movement against corruption etc gather more momentum?

I think only a few actually know we should be focusing on the weightier issues. Unfortunately, the "average" protester just wants his N65 shikena.

We need a new crop of "activists" to spearhead this movement as our legislooters have failed woefully in the task of checking the executive.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by jmaine: 4:47pm On Jan 14, 2012
Sad but true . . .if the prize is reverted back to N65 . . .watch people sing the hallelujah victory song  . .jugging home gleefully in a victory lap . . .

Prove . . .The NASS members are lounging, playing the cheap politics of telling the government to revert back . . . .Very few are casting their venom on them and just a negligible amount of the protesting energy is deflected to their comfort zone . . .

Their main focus is solely on the FG for Subsidy reinforcement . . .which is a shame really

When the rally cry for a start squarely involves  . . . . picketing our councilors .  . .L.G.A chairmen . . .State governors and legislators . . .and the NASS . . .calling for their heads until they pass pro people measures and laws . .Then i would support the cause 1000cool . .

After which we now focus on our individual selves  and neighbors to fight the endemic  gene of corruption that is swallowing the nation up . . .This to me, is our greatest fight against corruption . .

Deep down most of the protesters subconscious mind . . it's N65 or a revolution . . .
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Jan 14, 2012
@OP, I do hope this is not the case.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 14, 2012
None of that is true at all. Not one bit of it.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by ziga: 6:12pm On Jan 14, 2012
@OP
I agree with aljharem in that your thinking is kind of shallow.

The issue is bigger than N65 price of fuel. Unfortunately, corruption which is the big issue is faceless. It comes in so many forms and a strike of the dimension we've had so far has to be directed and focused on something that the simple/common man can feel/relate to or else it would have failed right from the onset.

It is very likely that the strike/protests might end if the price of gas is reversed but that doesn't mean that the fight was all about gas.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 14, 2012
It's not going to end if fuel is reverted to N65. Have you not seen or read what the Nigerian FG is offering NLC? I can tell you, from what I read and saw yesterday, that protesting Nigerians are livid. These protests are bigger than fuel.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by aljharem(m): 6:26pm On Jan 14, 2012
OP you can also further educate yourself here

People need to watch this video and know why nigerian are tired of the same old corrupt system

watch and learn

[flash=450,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAoLBCmB_Ms&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

[flash=450,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBOFGDFyz1I[/flash]
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Justcash(m): 7:11pm On Jan 14, 2012
@Alj Harem and others; YOU PEOPLE SHOULD KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES. IF IT IS ABOUT CORRUPTION;

WHAT IS NLC NEGOTIATING FOR? END TO CORRUPTION?

WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT CALLING FOR THE TRIAL AND CONVICTION OF THE PAST LEADERS THAT PUT US IN THIS SITUATION?

WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT CALLING FOR THE ARREST AND TRIAL OF THE SO CALLED SUBSIDY AND PETROLEUM INDUSTRY CABAL?

WHY IS NLC SAYING 65 OR NOTHING?

KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES. YOU ARE PRETENDING AS IF YOU ARE PROTESTING CORRUPTION BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER, WHILE THE MASSES ARE OPENLY DEMANDING FOR ONLY REINSTATEMENT OF SUBSIDY.

WAIT TILL GEJ REVERTS AND SEE IF THINGS WILL NOT GET BACK TO NORMAL.

Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Justcash(m): 7:23pm On Jan 14, 2012
PROTEST IS ALL ABOUT FUEL PRICE, NOT CORRUPTION

The Nigeria Labour Congress has resolved to stick with its earlier position that the federal government of Nigeria revert to the old price of petrol or face continuation of strikes, mass rallies and oil production shut down. The decision was taken at a just concluded a national executive council meeting in Abuja few minutes ago.

Labour leaders and civil society representatives stood their grounds at the meeting urging a labour representative group to take the mandate to the meeting between labour and the federal government slated for later tonight.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/occupy-nigeria-no-going-back-n65-petrol-price-nlc
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 14, 2012
Justcash,

NLC is negotiating on their own behalf. They don't represent everything Occupy Nigeria and other protesters stand for.

You need to read and watch what's happening in your country. For you to think that NLC's fuel talks are a direct representation of the masses shows that you're probably reading headlines and not the actual news.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Justcash(m): 7:36pm On Jan 14, 2012
ogugua88:

Justcash,

NLC is negotiating on their own behalf. They don't represent everything Occupy Nigeria and other protesters stand for.

You need to read and watch what's happening in your country. For you to think that NLC's fuel talks are a direct representation of the masses shows that you're probably reading headlines and not the actual news.

WHICH PEOPLE WILL YOU USE TO OCCUPY NIGERIA? ARE THEY NOT THE NIGERIANS IN THE PICTURES? THEY WANT CHEAP FUEL AND YOU ARE HERE ARGUING THAT THEY ARE FIGHTING AGAINST CORRUPTION.
WHEN NLC CALLS OFF THE STRIKE, BANKS, CIVIL SERVICE ETC WILL RESUME, WHAT IMPACT WILL JOBLESS PEOPLE FLOODING THE STREETS HAVE ON THE FG?
YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL LEAVE THEIR JOBS TO FLOOD THE STREET. YOU DON FORGET SAY TO GET A JOB IN NAIJA IS A JOB? NA WA O! WATCH AND SEE.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by aljharem(m): 7:44pm On Jan 14, 2012
Justcash:

@Alj Harem and others; YOU PEOPLE SHOULD KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES. IF IT IS ABOUT CORRUPTION;

WHAT IS NLC NEGOTIATING FOR? END TO CORRUPTION?

WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT CALLING FOR THE TRIAL AND CONVICTION OF THE PAST LEADERS THAT PUT US IN THIS SITUATION?

WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT CALLING FOR THE ARREST AND TRIAL OF THE SO CALLED SUBSIDY AND PETROLEUM INDUSTRY CABAL?

WHY IS NLC SAYING 65 OR NOTHING?

KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES. YOU ARE PRETENDING AS IF YOU ARE PROTESTING CORRUPTION BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER, WHILE THE MASSES ARE OPENLY DEMANDING FOR ONLY REINSTATEMENT OF SUBSIDY.

WAIT TILL GEJ REVERTS AND SEE IF THINGS WILL NOT GET BACK TO NORMAL.

My brother, before NLC decleared strike, EIE has already started the protest the next day fuel subsidy was removed

It is not about fuel subsidy, let me let you know that it is the people that are out on the streets not NLC

NLC has no power to stop people from working, it is the will of the people

Right now, this is bigger than NLC or is NLC controling those in the UK, USA, FINLAND, SOUTH AFRICA GHANA ETC to protest ?

EIE just needed the people to support them after years of lay back and selfish mentality that has made us dorsal to the corrupt ways of the government. It was a case of a pressure cooker getting to him peak.

did you watch the videos I posted or not ?
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 14, 2012
Justcash:
WHICH PEOPLE UNA GO USE OCCUPY NIGERIA? IS IT NOT THE NIGERIANS IN THE PICTURES? THEY WANT CHEAP FUEL AND YOU ARE HERE ARGUING THAT THEY ARE FIGHTING AGAINST CORRUPTION.
WHEN NLC CALLS OFF THE STRIKE, BANKS, CIVIL SERVICE ETC WILL RESUME, WHAT IMPACT WILL JOBLESS PEOPLE FLOODING THE STREETS HAVE ON THE FG?
YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL LEAVE THEIR JOBS TO FLOOD THE STREET. YOU DON FORGET SAY TO GET A JOB IN NAIJA IS A JOB? NA WA O! WATCH AND SEE.

Is your Caps Lock button broken?

You saw one picture of a protester holding a fuel sign. Well done. I can also show you one picture of a protester holding a sign on something other than fuel. I've said this numerous times. If you want to know what protesting Nigerians are thinking or protesting against, look no further than Twitter and Facebook, because that's where they are.

A protester in Washington DC, USA:

Please note the man in the back taking pictures/video with his iPad. That picture is going to one of three places: Facebook, Twitter, or another website.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by efisher(m): 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2012
Unfortunately, we are not yet tired of Boko haram talk less of corruption. Hard truth: We are too shortsighted!
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by aljharem(m): 7:51pm On Jan 14, 2012
efisher:

Unfortunately, we are not yet tired of Boko haram talk less of corruption. Hard truth: We are too shortsighted!

who's job is to stop boko haram ?

the people or the leaders ?

why and why and why are people quite about boko haram including the president ?

I mean people are dying every day and yet there are no proper protocol in place to stop boko haram.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by jmaine: 9:58pm On Jan 14, 2012
LOL at the Ogugua88 pix, as a proof of occupy Nigeria to end corruption . . .Justcash just gave you reality pics from Nigeria and your countering it with that citizen far away from where the broth is brewing . . . The stark reality of this myopic protests shall be soon be revealed . . . .
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by umechuma: 10:28pm On Jan 14, 2012
OP
Alj Harem is an example of the depiction that goes in Nigeria.He is even blind to see pictures on the streets, people like him exist for the backward of Nigeria.The sooner Nigeria get rid people like the better
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by aljharem(m): 10:45pm On Jan 14, 2012
umechuma:

OP
Alj Harem is an example of the depiction that goes in Nigeria.He is even blind to see pictures on the streets, people like him exist for the backward of Nigeria.The sooner Nigeria get rid people like the better

you seem to be living in lala land

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtqGKAjvItTNVgDub8-cNnVJNoLabf3nV1-gm4rUlBQ-ooLjtZbw[/img]

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScrZjGHkyLx0-Wfh2kIYyQEtRFtRgMR8tTbYPubIsZ3i5XkLPTUg[/img]

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS0vbRdhUcMOM5Lek2y47AhI1xvMLZchINDXtC0XU7EfWd9K_0[/img]

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcn1GjT7TrKiF9uTYbMej9RFvS9dcEPxaNPBdLI2mwM2CsuEJhzg[/img]
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 14, 2012
jmaine:
LOL at the Ogugua88 pix, as a proof of occupy Nigeria to end corruption . . .Justcash just gave you reality pics from Nigeria and your countering it with that citizen far away from where the broth is brewing . . . The stark reality of this myopic protests shall be soon be revealed  . . . .

I am now in full support of IQ tests being requirements before registering on this website. Was that picture proof of Nigerians wanting to end corruption? Or was it proof that Twitter, Facebook, and other social and news outlets are providing information for the world to read and see? I posted that picture so that people like you and Justcash can check those sources and inform yourselves on what's going on in your country, as clearly the two of you are lost. Na wa for una.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by ezeagu(m): 11:26pm On Jan 14, 2012
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by jmaine: 12:14am On Jan 15, 2012
ogugua88:

I am now in full support of IQ tests being requirements before registering on this website. Was that picture proof of Nigerians wanting to end corruption? Or was it proof that Twitter, Facebook, and other social and news outlets are providing information for the world to read and see? I posted that picture so that people like you and Justcash can check those sources and inform yourselves on what's going on in your country, as clearly the two of you are lost. Na wa for una.

Nice hit with the first sentence grin . . I anticipated some verbal slurs from you . .so your forgiven . . . but before you go on another attack mode . . .What was the main fulcrum of this thread ?. . .It's actually foolish of you to bring that up in our trying to discuss the genuine motivation, stirred in the subconscious mind of most of the protesters. With hard facts coming from a multitudes of those who constitute the majority without twitter accounts and a BB device . . . Am talking about the multitudes without a facebook account who joined in the protest. . . Even the learned ones had placards addressing the subsidy removal more than addressing a holistic approach to corruption in all tiers of government . . .

who was even arguing about if twitter is not helping spread information via personal feelings and updates . . with the viral ones . . . being the malicious broadcast . .that get shot down through debunks immediately

Adopt your recommendation and stop being unusually foolish . . 

Really held back . .hope i wasn't brash  grin
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 15, 2012
Bringing it up wasn't foolish at all. If you and OP read or at least heard from other protesters, you would know that this is more than fuel. CNN, Al Jazeera, BBC, etc are calling it strikes because of the fuel subsidy removal. Nigerians are calling it strikes because they're tired of GEJ chopping their money for N30million/yr feedings, 23 presidential cars, living in the dark.

Fuel is the priority because GEJ made it so, but that's not the only thing for which they're protesting.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On Jan 15, 2012
I think the fact that ongoing negotiations, supposedly on behalf of the Nigerian people, are on restoration the subsidized price of fuel, and NOT On reduction of corruption, or the appalling security situation, speaks volumes of what is going on.
This is not the first time we have had some on the streets protesting corruption, and other major issues, while those who head off to Aso rock supposedly to represent them negotiate a completely different package. It happens quite often. And this is reason why YOU and some of the people on the streets may feel one way about this but the reality is the negotiations are for fuel subsidy package restoration.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Nobody: 1:28am On Jan 15, 2012
@Op

Some years back, i never knew the meaning of corruption but Jonatrash has redefined it for me.
And also for millions of Nigerians.
We never knew how government can be so corrupt even in Obasanjo's time.
This one here is even worse than IBB's corrupt regime.

Two reasons why Jonatrash's corrupt Government will end soon, maybe this year

1. The Ediot is from the Minority (Izon)
2. The fuel subsidy impasse has laid bare so many secrets in his corrupt government. Secrets many Nigerians now have handy. The ediot didnt think about this.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by manmustwac(m): 1:31am On Jan 15, 2012
I think i agree with the poster. Nigerians are just protesting against the fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Kobojunkie: 1:36am On Jan 15, 2012
diluminati:

@Op

Some years back, i never knew the meaning of corruption but Jonatrash has redefined it for me.
And also for millions of Nigerians.
We never knew how government can be so corrupt even in Obasanjo's time.
This one here is even worse than IBB's corrupt regime.

Two reasons why Jonatrash's corrupt Government will end soon, maybe this year

1. The Ediot is from the Minority (Izon)
2. The fuel subsidy impasse has laid bare so many secrets in his corrupt government. Secrets many Nigerians now have handy. The ediot didnt think about this.

Here is one reality check for you. There has been NO SECRET kept from you, at least by this administration of it's spending abilities or it's ability to deliver on any thing. The only thing that has been in existence, are people like you who have been too BLIND to see what has been right in front of you all this time, ok.

So, let's stop BLAMING THE ADMINISTRATION for it all. Nothing has changed since the last election when we overwhelmingly voted this man in. This is the same man whom many of you considered your goodluck charm doing exactly what he has been good at doing for the past 12 years. He didn't change. NOTHING CHANGED of him in all 12 years he has been in Government, so his being a minority has ZILCH to do with this and certainly the fuel subsidy impasse has laid bare NOTHING . . .  no secrets as you PRETEND it does.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by aljharem(m): 1:38am On Jan 15, 2012
Central Bank Governor Sanusi Lamido has a statement to the effect “So, anybody that is still preaching that the problem of Nigeria is Yoruba or Hausa or Fulani, he does not love Nigeria. The problem with Nigeria is that a group of people from each and every ethnic tribe is very selfish. The poverty that is found in Maiduguri is even worse than any
poverty that you find in any part of the South." floating within the closed gardens of Facebook.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by ziga: 2:29am On Jan 15, 2012
[img]http://chikaforafrica.files./2012/01/nigeria-protests.jpg[/img]

[img]http://thejournal.eu/site/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/e70f2_reuters_nigeria_stirke_480_09jan2011.jpg[/img]

It might be a fact that the protests will end when if the subsidy is restored, BUT i do not understand how you seem to have read the minds of all protesting Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Beaf: 2:45am On Jan 15, 2012
The occupy people are thoroughly deluded and their approach is shallow. They have been used by the NLC (fathers of corruption), failed politicians (like Bakare) and fuel importers (like Tinubu). Now that the subsidy matter has met a cold, hard rock in GEJ; it is becoming apparent to the occupy clowns that they have been used and dumped like soiled toilet roll, so the song needs changing to hide their shame.

What occupy clown is negotiating with govt? None?
If you ain't negotiating with govt, but twitting and pasting conspiracy addled shiit on your facebook wall like demented pigeons, then what is the purpose?

The only thing the fools at occupy have achieved is move the country several stepa toward war. As we speak, ND militants have begun reconvening in Port harcourt, because they have interpreted the lopsided protests as an ethnic agenda. After the country has lost the SE/SS what oil would there be to protest over?

It takes very little effort to be stup!d.
Re: Nigerians Are Not Protesting Against Corruption. They Want Subsidy. That's All by Rad1cal: 2:56am On Jan 15, 2012
Beaf:

The occupy people are thoroughly deluded and their approach is shallow. They have been used by the NLC (fathers of corruption), failed politicians (like Bakare) and fuel importers (like Tinubu). Now that the subsidy matter has met a cold, hard rock in GEJ; [size=16pt]it is becoming apparent to the occupy clowns that they have been used and dumped like soiled toilet roll[/size], so the song needs changing to hide their shame.

What occupy clown is negotiating with govt? None?
[size=16pt]If you ain't negotiating with govt, but twitting and pasting conspiracy addled shiit on your facebook wall like demented pigeons, then what is the purpose?[/size]

The only thing the fools at occupy have achieved is move the country several stepa toward war. As we speak, ND militants have begun reconvening in Port harcourt, because they have interpreted the lopsided protests as an ethnic agenda. After the country has lost the SE/SS what oil would there be to protest over?
[size=16pt]
It takes very little effort to be stup!d.[/size]

Shiet  grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things That Would Happen If Nigeria Were To Truncate / Reason APC Remains Silent Over Oduah's BMW / 2015: Shema, Amosun Will Be President, Vice President, Says Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.