Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:15 AM

Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story (22882 Views)

Put Meditation On The Menu To Boost Weight Loss Success / 4 Important Tips To Achieving Weight Loss Success / Weight Loss Success - 5 Ways Of Making This A Reality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
pslm, I applaud you esp if you're surrounded by greedy Nigerians who even eat meat for breakfast
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

pslm, I applaud you esp if you're surrounded by greedy Nigerians who even eat meat for breakfast

grin grin grin grin. Do sausages count?
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:37pm On Jan 17, 2012
Pork. yuck undecided

Best thing you can do in addition to healthier food and exercise is take an omega 3 supplement or flaxseed oil

CLA gel caps help with toning as well.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by pslm23(f): 7:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
naijababe:

Unless you plan on keeping this up, you'll find that you'll probably put all the weight back on at some point. The healthy and sustainable way to weight loss is gradual reduction in your food intake and exercising.

I fully plan on keeping this up. One good thing about me is my sense of determination. Once I make up my mind to do something, that's it. Of course excersise plays a huge role in a sustainable weight loss program. I don't do threadmills or anything that strenous, just brisk walking in the am. before work and pm. before bedtime.

naijababe:

grin grin grin grin. Do sausages count?

Sausage is made from meat so i don't eat it but I eat the soy sausage made entirely from soy.! You'll be shocked to see what they have in the market for meat substitue,  and they are yummy too.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
I hate treadmills, it's the one equipment that puts me off exercise but strangely enough I dont mind running outdoors. I love meat and none of those substitutes taste like meat. I generally just manage my intake as opposed to complete avoidance
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Blackrock7: 7:54pm On Jan 17, 2012
MY NIGERIAN LADIES - YOU WANT TO LOOSE WEIGHT? ARE YOU REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO LOOSE WEIGHT.

BELOW IS THE ROUTINE I WANT YOU TO GO INTO IF YOU ARE REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT LOOSING WEIGHT.NO MESSING AROUND.DO IT FOR 30 DAYS AND THANK ME AFTER THAT.

EVERYONE HAS A TOUGH TIME WITH WEIGHT GAIN ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS. WELL HERE IS YOUR ANSWER.FOR A 30 DAY SERIOUS AND DETERMINED WORKOUT, YOU WILL DEFINITELY ACHIEVE YOUR WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. AS YOU APPROACH THE FIRST QTR OF THE NEW YR, YOU NEED TO GET ON TRACK AND BE A HEALTHY YOU!NO EXCUSES.START LOVING YOURSELF.

FIRST THING IS FIRST, BELOW ARE A SET OF RULES FOR THIS 30 DAY PROGRAM. IF YOU CANT FOLLOW THE RULES BELOW THEN DON'T BOTHER TRYING. IT IS ALL OR NOTHING HERE,

1) NO ALCOHOL : IF YOU CANT GO 30 DAYS WITHOUT A DRINK THEN YOU AREN'T SERIOUS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT AND THIS ISN'T FOR YOU.

2) NO DAIRY, YES NO DAIRY. USE UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK IN PLACE OF REGULAR MILK

3) NO FRUIT JUICES, NO FRUIT SMOOTHIES, NO SODA, NO SPORTS DRINKS. THE PREVIOUS MENTIONED ALL CONTAIN TONS OF SUGAR WHICH MAKES YOU GAIN WEIGHT. SUGAR IS SUGAR , DOESN'T MATTER IF IT COMES FROM FRUIT OR SKITTLES.

4) YOU MUST DO 45 MINUTES OF ACTIVITY EVERYDAY. I DON'T CARE IF IT IS A FAST WALK, JOGGING, ROLLERBLADING, WHATEVER. GET YOUR BUTT MOVING. NOTICE I SAID EVERYDAY.

5) YOU DRINK NOTHING BUT WATER, AGAIN NOTHING BUT WATER. IF YOU NEED A CUP OF COFFEE IN THE MORNING FINE. OTHER THAN THAT NOTHING BUT WATER.

CARDIO:

CARDIO IS TO BE DONE AS SOON AS YOU WAKE UP EVERY MORNING FOR 45 MINS TO AN HOUR ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE GYM, YOU CAN WALK AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, JOG, DO AN AEROBICS CLASS ON YOUR TV, TREADMILL ETC.

ALTERNATING CARDIO: IF POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE YOU DO ALTERNATE CARDIO, MEANING ONE MORNING IF YOU CAN GET ON A TREADMILL WALK AT 4MPH AT AROUND 10% INCLINE THEN MAYBE THE NEXT MORNING YOU RIDE THE BIKE OR STAIRMASTER

DIET: BELOW ARE THE FOLLOWING THINGS YOU WILL EAT. IF IT ISN'T LISTED YOU AREN'T EATING IT1) BREAKFAST AFTER MORNING CARDIO: 1 SERVING OF LOW SUGAR CEREAL OR HALF A CUP OF OATMEAL AND 8-10 EGG WHITES - (CUT SERVINGS IN HALF )2 TABLE SPOONS OF ALL NATURAL NO SODIUM ALMOND BUTTER

2) MID MORNING: PROTEIN SHAKE WITH ALMOND MILK OR WATER (20 - 25 GRAMS)

3) LUNCH: 10 OUNCES OF FISH, CHICKEN OR GROUND TURKEY, 1 CUP OF STEAMED BROCCOLI OR 8 OUNCES OF ASPARAGUS

4) SECOND LUNCH: 4-6 OUNCES OF PROTEIN MENTIONED ABOVE, SAME SERVINGS GREEN VEGETABLES. 2 TABLE SPOONS OF ALL NATURAL NO SODIUM ALMOND BUTTER

5) POST WORKOUT PROTEIN SHAKE

6) DINNER: 8-10 OUNCES OF CHICKEN, FISH, GROUND TURKEY OR LEAN FLANK STEAK AND 2-3 SERVINGS OF GREEN VEGETABLES

7) NO FOOD BEFORE BED. IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY DYING OF STARVATION THEN TRY MIXING 1 SERVING OF PLAIN FAT FREE GREEK YOGURT WITH 1.5 SCOOPS OF CHOCOLATE PROTEIN POWDER. MAKES GREAT TASTING PUDDING.

TIPS:

1) CARRY A WATER BOTTLE WITH YOU ALL DAY AND KEEP REFILLING. TRY TO DRINK 16-20 OUNCES OF WATER PER HOUR. WATER IS YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND. STAYING HYDRATED KILLS HUNGER CRAVINGS.

2) DRINK 12 OUNCES OF WATER BEFORE MEALS, WILL KEEP YOU FROM OVER EATING

3) NOTICE OTHER THAN BREAKFAST, YOU AREN'T EATING ANY CARBS THROUGHOUT THE DAY THAT ARE NOT GREEN VEGETABLES. STICK TO THIS. IF YOU CHEAT YOU ARE ONLY LETTING YOURSELF DOWN.

4) DO NOT SEASON FOODS WITH SALT. USE NO SODIUM SEASONINGS FOR THE MEATS AND FISH. FOR THE GREEN VEGETABLES, SAY IF YOU ARE MAKING A SALAD. STICK TO LOW FAT IF IT IS HIGH IN FAT OR SUGAR YOU DON'T WANT IT. ABSOLUTELY NO BLUE CHEESE OR RANCH. AGAIN THAT IS DAIRY.

5) COOKIES, CRACKERS, PROTEIN BARS, GRANOLA BARS, ALL THAT CRAP IS NO MORE. IF IT ISN'T MENTIONED ABOVE IT ISN'T BEING EATEN.

6) ONCE A WEEK YOU MAY HAVE A CHEAT MEAL. NOTICE I SAID CHEAT MEAL NOT CHEAT DAY!!!!!!!!! TRY TO HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL AT LUNCH IF POSSIBLE SO YOUR BODY BURNS SOME OF IT OFF BEFORE BEDTIME. THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS EAT A HUGE BOWL OF PASTA BEFORE BEDTIME AS THE BODY GOES RIGHT INTO STORAGE MODE

SOUNDS CRAZY HUH? WELL, NOTHING GOOD COMES EASY.START THIS, BE FOCUSED AND DETERMINED AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT YOUR TRANSFORMATION.

NB - ANY FOOD THAT YOU CAN'T FIND IN YOUR LOCALITY,FIND A LOCAL REPLACEMENT.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by pslm23(f): 8:04pm On Jan 17, 2012
Quinoa Chili

1 cup quinoa
3.5 cups water
1 large onion (chopped)
I medium sweet red pepper (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
½ lb of minced turkey or beef (optional)
1tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tbs curry powder
2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
Chopped Vegetables of your choice
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 cup of sweet corn (frozen or canned)

** You can also use any other spices you like including bay leaf, curry leaf etc.**

1. In large saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. (Soak quinoa for 5-10 mins to remove bitterness before cooking) reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15mins or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside
2. In another large saucepan, put a little olive oil or pure peanut oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan) sauté your meat (optional), onion, red pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in chili powder, cinnamon and curry powder and stir; cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add the black beans, tomatoes, vegetables, organo, salt, pepper and other spices and remaining 1.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins. Stir in corn and quinoa. Let the heat go through everything,  You’re done! Bon appétit!

Note: If you don’t have canned beans where you are, cooked beans will work. If you don’t have black beans, red kidney beans is fine too.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by pslm23(f): 8:09pm On Jan 17, 2012
NL no go kill me I swear! why change my word from bon apet*it to bon appeBosom?  angry

By the way, i just want to say that I do not believe in calorie counting, fad diets and weightloss pills. They don't work,  The pills come with great health risks down the road.

1 Like

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Roland17(m): 8:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
Realizing/understanding your Fat tendencies: Many fail to realize that we all have different fat tendencies, Mr A might eat huge bowls of  Eba for Breakfast, Rice for lunch and Amala for dinner for months and still stay in shape, while Mr B eats small portions of the above mentioned meal and blows up like an inflated Balloon. My elder sister is a typical example, she eats as much and even more than any of us but she is as trim as ever and i know we all have friends/family like that. Once you figure out your fat tendencies you have successfully keyed in your road to loosing weight.

Avoid Late night meals: I know this is very difficult especially for the working class, many return from work very late and after all the hassles of the day, its suicidal to stop them from eating when they get home late, but my advice is, if u must eat, eat light and avoid carbohydrates, eating heavy into the night is a big reason many have bulging stomachs.

Control your mouth: determination might be important but without discipline you can't achieve weight lose, its not everything mouth craves for that you must eat, eating in between meals, Heavy snacking and all those secondary processed drinks they call natural juice would hurt u more especially if u have not realized your fat tendencies, many dislike water and i wonder why? carbonated drinks are bad for your teeth(they make the teeth brown quickly) and general health.

Simple exercises: If you are the workaholic type and barely have time to exercise how about simple exercises that could aid you, if u have a thread mill, how about running on it for 15 mins before taking your shower and ready for work( that would mean waking up 15-20mins earlier than usual) and if u don't own one, how about jogging on a spot for 20 mins b4 shower, rather than taking the elevators/escalators at work run/walk the stairs (if your office is on the 10th floor, how about running/walking the stairs to the 5th floor and using the elevator for the rest),

Eat and Eat more fruits/vegetables: Apples, Carrots, Banana (although not too much of it) paw paw, pineapples, eat varieties,  believe u can do it,  you are meant to have control over your body and not the other way round.

Be sure that all weight loosing creams, soap, drugs are prescribed by professionals, as many of them are cancerous to the skin.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:13pm On Jan 17, 2012
Hope you're not referring to omega 3, pslm. That's not a fad

Anyway I will try your quinoa chili. Normally I have it with baked salmon.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by pslm23(f): 8:20pm On Jan 17, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Hope you're not referring to omega 3, pslm. That's not a fad

Anyway I will try your quinoa chili. Normally I have it with baked salmon.

Nope! Not refering to Omega3. i was talking about diets like the lemonade diet, hot pepper diet, laxative diet, fasting for 2 weeks or 40 days etc. those are fad diets because they don't work!
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:29pm On Jan 17, 2012
The4 Master Cleanse works but it's so unnecessary and easily to get back to where you started.

Dont know how people can even starve themselves like that.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by pslm23(f): 8:37pm On Jan 17, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

The4 Master Cleanse works but it's so unnecessary and easily to get back to where you started.

Dont know how people can even starve themselves like that.

grin grin i know! i have a co-worker here that drinks ipecac syrup as soon as she eats shocked shocked she gorges herself with food and pastries and complains of tummy ache and then in an instant, she grabs her pocket book, whips out a small bottle of ipecac and downs it. in less than 2 mins she's in the bathroom throwing up all that food she just ate. she is as skinny as a rake becos no nutrients or calories have time to enter her system before the ipecac forces the food out!
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by dastudent(m): 8:43pm On Jan 17, 2012
Go to bodyrock.tv for exercise motivation.you would find all you need.Its totally free.saying this because they have helped in motivating me and keeping me fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd5dpk2o_bk
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 17, 2012
Most pple here are yarning bla bla bla.

The poster is asking for PROVEN weight loss programmes. I have in the past lost about 50kgs (yes 50 kgs). I am 6 ft 3 so I have packed a lot around me. Here are some things I did to achieve that. It wasn't even too hard for me.

1) I drank lime + water first thing every morning.
2) I stopped cooking with oil. I didn't necessarily eliminate carbs. I just stopped eating oil
3) I exercised every day.

Try cooking food without fats or oil for 1 week and I can assure you, you will lose weight at an alarming rate. This is because your body uses fat stored up to produce bile which is a digestive enzyme. The more you eat foods absent oil, the more the body will utilize stored fat. Also remember to take in vitamin C or fruits to cleanse the system of free radicals and stay healthy.

The fastest weight loss programme is eliminating ALL FATS and OIL from your food.

Kpam!

4 Likes

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:45pm On Jan 17, 2012
ipecac syrup? That's really dangerous. what a psycho undecided
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 17, 2012
For someone that wants to lose/burn fat, working out on an empty stomach certainly isn't the answer. During hunger/starvation, the body will get it's energy from muscle, not fat. If you want to lose muscle, working out on empty is great way to go, but those pounds will come back as quickly as they came off. A light snack like yogurt or a protein shake 30-45 minutes before exercise good.

I've found that knowing how many calories your body needs to function, and then how much deficit you need to create to lose a pound makes the weight loss process much easier. Calories are energy. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to get through the day. BMR = basal metabolic rate. To calculate your BMR, simply multiply your current body weight by ten. That's a rough estimate as to the least amount of calories your body should take in a day.

Next is deficit. 1 pound of fat is roughly 3500 calories. If you want to lose 1 pound a week, you must burn 3500 calories a week. Say you take in 2000 calories a day, and you burn 500 calories a day. That leaves you with 1500 calories a day.

Your weekly BMR would be 2000 x 7 = 14,000
Your actual weekly calories would be 1500 x 7 = 10,500

14,000 - 10,500 = 3500 calorie-deficit per week.

It may look tricky, but I'm a math person, and this way has been working for me. Right now I'm a size 10 and my goal's to be a 6.

Write down what you eat. That may help you stay conscious of what you're eating. When I was with my personal trainer, he got me into eating more. You'd be surprised. The Nigerian diet is usually 3 heavy meals. It's a huge blow to your metabolism. We can eat swallows or rice and not eat another meal for 5-6 hours. You're better off eating 5-6 mini meals a day to keep your metabolism up, so that you burn calories even when you're resting. When I was doing that, I was always hungry but always had energy and pounds were coming off.

You don't want a quick fix program. You need a new diet lifestyle so you keep the weight off.

Water is your friend smiley

1 Like

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 17, 2012
pslm23:
grin grin i know! i have a co-worker here that drinks ipecac syrup as soon as she eats shocked shocked she gorges herself with food and pastries and complains of tummy ache and then in an instant, she grabs her pocket book, whips out a small bottle of ipecac and downs it. in less than 2 mins she's in the bathroom throwing up all that food she just ate. she is as skinny as a rake becos no nutrients or calories have time to enter her system before the ipecac forces the food out!

She's bulimic. She needs psychomedical help. No joke.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by dmz(m): 10:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
Once you are serious about controlling your diet, try High Intensity Interval Training for your exercise program.(you can google it. free programs online) you will burn in a week what people who do low to moderate exercises burn in month. Someone said exercise everyday, that's wrong, you must have a rest day for your body to recover and to avoid injury.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by White007(m): 11:51pm On Jan 17, 2012
@op, i lost 12kg in 4months. And here is how i did it:

I exercise 4 times a week most time , but other days 5 times a week. 2hrs  to 3hrs par day.

I take 1 apple for breakfast before heading to the Gym.

For Lunch, i go for grill fish, spinach and carrot.

For Dinner, i go for salad made up of Cucumber, green vegetables, olives, broccoli and asparagus.

Note, i follow this diet base on my blood group, which is A+.

I take my dinner at least 3 hrs before i go to bed.

1 Like

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by tsmith(f): 1:08am On Jan 18, 2012
I am a success story and very recent too!

About May 2011, in a moment of compassion to help raise money for a charity and what i term as sheer madness, i put my name forward for the Bristol half marathon in Sept. For 2 months, i toiled with the idea of chickening out and was plagued by the fear of dropping dead during the race. Note i was 96kg and a UK size 18/20.

However 3 months to the race, I drew up my training plan, that was to run often and pack in as many miles as possible. I ran with 3 different set of ppl every mondays, wednesdays and thursdays. Running with ppl i wasnt really familiar with, gave me motivation and made me committed. I knew so far I got myself to our meeting point; i was sure to complete the loop/route. Also as i hate letting ppl down, i was 99% certain to make our dates except there was snow or a major disaster

I remember my first attempt at a run,i was wheezing and lagging behind, slowing down the other ladies; majority of whom were much older than me but obviously fitter than me. But with sheer determination and constant practice, i kept running and it was only a matter of time they were trying to catch up with me, as they were leisure once-a-week runners and only did at a max 5k run.

I also replaced my breakfast with smoothies, different flavours every day. I got this smoothie to go maker, with handy cups which made it tidy and easy to take work. I completed the half marathon in 3 hours 3 minutes and I have kept on with my regular exercise by attending 2 days bootcamp and yoga classes once a week.

Fastforward, I am now a size 12 and weight 79kg. I still have some way to go, but I have been pretty chuffed with myself and had loads of fun changing my whole wardrobe.

A before and after story is not complete with pictures; i hope these encourages you

PS. Pardon any spelling mistakes, my spell checker tab isnt functioning, and I'm dead tired!
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:10am On Jan 18, 2012
You dont have to post pics tsmith but congrats smiley
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:11am On Jan 18, 2012
I see the pics now. You look lovely in the last one. The yellow looks great on you
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by tsmith(f): 1:19am On Jan 18, 2012
@ thiefofhearts

I know, as I am normally a very private person. But pictures do speak louder than words and with a weight loss story, what better way to show it!

Thanks!
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by drbunmi(f): 2:40am On Jan 18, 2012
weight issue is a problem all over the world, while trying out all these remedies don't forget the role of your genetic ,these things run in the family at times.

1 Like

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by carefree: 3:03am On Jan 18, 2012
jovi:

yes recipe pleeeese kissthanks,

Hi Jovi,

May I know where did you get the quinoa in Nigeria ?

Thanks.
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by Sinju: 5:53am On Jan 18, 2012
No matter what gene you have everybody can maintain an ideal weight. I have helped quite a few women loss the baby weight and keep it off by focusing on simple things.

Sustainable weight loss can only be done through eating healthy food and drinks and exercising.

Exercising without changing your diet will not work, results in frustration.

Going on a diet where you have to force yourself to eat strange foods and drinks or taking a pill may lead to short term gains( looking hot at the wedding) but the weight will be back.

Before making any changes in your diet write down every thing you eat and drink over 3 to5 days so you can spot your problem areas what you eat and how often you eat.

If you want to lose weight

1. Your plate should be colorful at every meal (ie full of vegetables) including breakfast. The vegetables should be cooked crunchy and not soft so your body can spend a lot of energy digesting them.

2. Limit fruit intake to 1/2 of a medium size every other day. Fruits are sweet because they contain sugar (a type of carbohydrate). If you are overweight, your body will store any excess sugar (including that from fruit) as fat.

3. Stop drinking anything that is not water including malt, alcohol, soda(minerals), fruit juice, Ribena, gatorade, powerade etc. If it is not water, coffee or hot tea do not drink it. These contain at least 2 times the amount of sugar your body needs in one day. And remember you will also eat yam, rice, gari etc with these drinks adding sugar to more sugar.

4. The amount of rice, beans, gari, pounded yam etc you eat should not be more than the size of your palm. Bread, 2 slices a day tops. Eat only one of this food group a day.

5. Pick 2 to 3 days of the week when you will eat only plant based foods.

7. DO NOT EAT YOUR KIDS OR HUSBANDS LEFT OVER FOOD.

8. Use a side plate (not dinner)to eat and do not eat in front of the TV or computer. Drink a full glass of water before you eat any meal or snack.

9. Set reasonable weight goals and give yourself ONE treat when you achieve it.

10. Do not eat processed foods including breakfast cereals and noodles. If it comes in a box and is ready to eat in less than 10mins, waka pass.
The body does not have to spend energy digesting these over processed foods.

11. when you see the words "desert" "honey", "frosted" or "sweetened" just waka pass. Do not be deceived, honey is a type of sugar.

4 Likes

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by ceasyc(f): 6:02am On Jan 18, 2012
when a doc called me tall and heavy. tho he did not mean any harm.
oh boi, that statement hit me harddddddddddddd back in 09
i think i lost 10-15kg in 2 months. i think i lost the 1st 5kg in 1 week. lol

no starving or exercise though, just fruits everyday and i ate real good once a week. the real good sef,
i could not stomach much anymore cos I was already used to eating fruits in small quantities and my stomach was used to that
my cuz asked me if i use hose take suck d fat comot 4 my body, wetin happen? lmao

but levels don change again now. I kept off the extra weight for over 18 months but now, hmmmmm. damn these genes

I LOVE FOOD! i have enjoyed food enough, time to go back on diet cos my T.M and Hawes and curtis clothes
no dey enter my body again, in fact all my clothes even native attire. i be size 10 before oh but now = no no no
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by dextersmar: 8:30am On Jan 18, 2012
@Sinju

Awesome post. What a lovely read. I saved it on my desktop so I will read it every morning till it is part of me. Thumbs up!
Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by tollu: 9:22am On Jan 18, 2012
Between August and October last year by using weight loss DVD's and modification of my diet. Reduced my oil intake and portion sizes. Cut out soda and chocolates almost completely
Ate normally, subscribed to fitness sites and even lurked around on NL's own fitness thread (it's somewhere on the Health board, usually on the first page).
I lost 6kg and was doing ok, maintained the weight loss till December 20sth then totally went berserk during the holidays ate chocolate chip cookies HEAVILY all in the name of Christmas. Come January 2, I was 2 better kg heavier! The hens came home to roost.

I haven't started using my DVD's yet but started walking to bustops, ignoring the elevator at work and trying to eat sensibly. As of now I've lost the 2kg gained over the holidays and I'm ready to get back on course, continue my journey till I get to my goal.
I consider myself a slow loser and prefer it that way, make small and measurable goals.
Make no mistake, it's a lifelong journey and with the right directions, it's a bearable one and you won't get lost.
If you fall off track, don't beat yourself up and say it's too hard, just run, walk or drag yourself back on track.

3 Likes

Re: Weight Loss Success, Please Share Your Story by pynkspyce: 11:45am On Jan 18, 2012
All the quinoa and all that rubbish advise. Weightloss will not stay off unless u change ur lifestyle. Meaning adopt healthy habits. Portion control and excercise. In addition, please look for a multivitamin for women. Take one daily. drink your 8 glasses of water. It might take you 6 months to lose 10KG, but i assure u the likelihood of u re-gaining that 10KG is slimmer because of an increase in discipline.
If you are used to eating two wraps of pounded yam for breakfast, slowly reduce it, from 1 and half to maybe one. increase the vegetables u eat with it. Drink ur water. Make sure all ur meals are balanced - and please do not eliminate any foods from ur diet as u need all the food classes. A meal is not complete without carbs, protein, fats etc. Kitkat and skittles u can eliminate.
Try to schedule in a minimum excercise time of 45 mins daily-it doesnt matter whether u start out walking slow, just do something, u will pick up pace in time. Ur body will tell u when it can move to the next stage.
If u have tried all this and it hasnt worked, u might want to check ur thyroid.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Blames High Rate Of HIV/AIDS On Influx Of Visitors / Coronavirus: Nigerian Who Returned After Week-Long Trip To France in isolation / Therapy Room .. Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.