Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. (20618 Views)

Buhari Receives Giant Birthday Card From His Aides (Photos) / Amaechi Crowd Vs GEJ Crowd In PH / Let's Compare Their Track Records! Buhari Vs Ribadu Vs Gej (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Funkymallam(m): 6:48pm On Jan 29, 2012
kizito96:

Michelle is a Lawyer who earns more than the husband, She can afford any luxury first lady or not. Some of her aids are those she had before the first lady issue. She pays most of them from her pocket. Our First Lady Patience ha been a house wife and never had any source of lively hood. She now has 3 vessels that transfer oil from the ship at sea to the deport

What are u ranting over there? Those aides were employed when she became d first lady and the amount they are being paid is also there. They are paid frm d tax money.

@dmainboss.
Pls, can u help me post the text frm this link, am presently on mobile. Thnx
http://www.ourchangingglobe.com/how-many-personal-assistants-does-michelle-obama-have/
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On Jan 29, 2012
Again . . . .

Kobojunkie:

That is actually very wrong perception. There are college professors who spend their time updating WikiPedia pages and will tell you they are quite reliable as long as you keep in mind, that just like books, you have references on there to dig into if you question any of the information presented.
In the Science community, Wikipedia holds a place . . . So, don't just assume that because one or two people claim Wiki is wrong, then it is sensible for you to assume that as fact.

Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by dmainboss: 6:57pm On Jan 29, 2012
^^^Ok I get it. You have run out of ideas
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by dmainboss: 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2012
http://www.ourchangingglobe.com/how-many-personal-assistants-does-michelle-obama-have/

The following article and figures come from the Canadian Free Press and was written by Dr. Paul L. Williams

No, Michele Obama does not get paid to serve as the First Lady and she doesn’t perform any official duties. But this hasn’t deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession.

Just think, Mary Lincoln was taken to task for purchasing china for the White House during the Civil War. And Mamie Eisenhower had to shell out the salary for her personal secretary from her husband’s salary.

Total Personal Staff members for other first ladies paid by taxpayers:

Mamie Eisenhower - One Paid for personally out of President’s salary.
Jackie Kennedy - One
Roseline Carter - One
Barbara Bush - One
Hilary Clinton - Three
Laura Bush - One
Michele Obama - Twenty-two

How things have changed! If you’re one of the tens of millions of Americans facing certain destitution, earning less than subsistence wages stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart or serving up McDonald cheeseburgers, prepare to scream and then come to realize that the benefit package for these servants of Ms. Michelle are the same as members of the national security and defense departments and the bill for these assorted lackeys is paid by YOU,
John Q.Public.

Michele Obama’s personal staff:

One $172,200 Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff)
Two $140,000 Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of
Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
Three $113,000 Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House
Social Secretary for Mrs. Obama)
Four $102,000 Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications
for the First Lady)
Five $100,000 Winter, Melissa (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First
Lady)
Six $90,000 Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
Seven $84,000 Lilyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
Eight $75,000 Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)
Nine $70,000 Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Project for the First Lady)
Ten $65,000 Burnough, Erinn (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
Eleven $64,000 Reinstein, Joseph B.(Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
Twelve $62,000 Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First
Lady)
Thirteen $60,000 Fitz, Alan O.(Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)
Fourteen. $57,500 Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)
Fifteen $52,500 Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary To The First Lady)
Sixteen $50,000 Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide To The First Lady)
Seventeen $45,000 Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)
Eighteen $43,000 Tubman, Samanth a (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)
Nineteen $40,000 Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
Twenty $36,000 Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)
Twenty-One, $35,000 Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
Twenty-Two $35,000 Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady)

Total $1,591,200 in annual salaries !!!

Note: The above list doesn’t include makeup artist Ingrid Grimes-Miles, 49, and “First Hairstylist” Johnny Wright, 31, both of whom traveled aboard Air Force One to Europe.

It’s not clear who sets up Michelle’s photo ops and soup kitchens but it’s somewhat clear what kind of snacks the First Lady enjoys when she gets back to her hotel.

"The truth is, in order to get things like UHC (Universal Health Care) and a revamped education system, then someone is going to have to give up a piece of pie so that someone else can have more".
“The truth is, in order to get things like UHC (Universal Health Care) and a revamped education system, then someone is going to have to give up a piece of pie so that someone else can have more”.
Michelle Obama

And one can but wonder why this and similar information has to come from foreign press, perhaps because the USA is close to not having a free press; not a right wing one anyway.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by DeepSight(m): 7:24pm On Jan 29, 2012
^^^ The above article is very telling. Kobojunkie is well known on this board, I am certain, for parading very unreasonable arguments. The point the OP was trying to make is fairly easy to see, once one is open and objective. There is no justification on this planet for Michele Obama's retinue of aides (if true). And it certainly is beyond ludicrous that any person would think that the first lady of the united states ( an admittedly traditional position with exactly ZERO constitutional responsibilities) would or should require more aides than the President and Commander in Chief of the most populous black nation in the world, administering the economy of over 160 million people in a country that is a strategic producer of Crude Oil in today's world - especially when you add the complexity of that country, over 250 ethnic nationalities and languages, not to speak of the hydra headed security challenges posed by Islamist Terrorism.

No rational person can possibly argue that any [b]first lady [/b]anywhere in the world should require more aides than a [b]President [/b]of a nation as large, important and complex as Nigeria.

Now, this is not to say that i in anyway support waste in Government. America is not our concern: we should focus on our country and urge our leaders to reduce waste where ever possible.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by jmaine: 7:38pm On Jan 29, 2012
The cynics are helplessly tongue tied . . . This Funkymallam trap na correct one . . .guy na who design this trap for you na . . .na indians ?
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by ShyOne(f): 7:41pm On Jan 29, 2012
I agree with Alj Harem and Bloodless from page 1.

Also @ kobojunkie, I understand your point.  But let me tell you what professors at Northwestern University, University of Notre Dame, University of Wisconsin-Madison have stated to their classes, NEVER QUOTE WIKIPEDIA.  Every single topic in Wikipedia is submitted by ANYONE AND EVERYONE on the planet who are worthy and who are unworthy to define fiction or fact about topics they know nothing about but once they are done, Wikipedia has made them an expert to outsiders who don't know any better.  Wiki is not a reliable source and if you reference it, that reference will not count and YOUR GRADE WILL SUFFER.  Quote Wiki at your own risk.  After that first and last grade letter of (F) - I stopped quoting Wikipedia.

You know Michelle Obama pushes the "little person", she gives outsiders and little known entrepreneurs and newcomers, a shot (clothing designers).  Michelle and Barack shop at stores that the commoners and the average Americans shop at, they don't just buy or wear designer clothing, they also buy off the rack at stores that many Americans shop at, this is done intentionally to show their support for "those who struggle."  She does it intentionally.  Does Patience do the same?  Does Patience go and shop in the markets and move amongst the people as the Obamas  do?
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Zi: 7:41pm On Jan 29, 2012
A long dispute means that both disputees are wrong.

My 1cent!
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by aljharem(m): 7:46pm On Jan 29, 2012
Dmainboss, wereperi ans funkymallam I don't still get your points. Lets state facts here

1. Are all the aids needed by her as the first lady of Nigeria ? Yes or No

2. If "Yes" for what and what is their jobs descriptions.

3. The government wants to cut funds by removing fuel subsidy which was a life line of the microeconomy. Food, transport etc has all gone up by 120% over night

4. The same leader is now doing double standards by not cutting his own expenses.

5. A LEADER CAN NEVER BE RESPECTED IF HE/SHE DOES NOT PRACTISE WHAT THEY PREACH. Fact !!!

You cannot reduce my expenses and you still be living large. Life does not work that way.

6. There is not comparison of Nigeria and america. They have a good government system that is transparent and honest with the people (to a reasonable standards) Nigeria has none.

7. It is taken 10 years for Nigeria to repair Benin-ore road that has killed over 200 people within those years, It took america less than 3 years to build the world trade center back and infact they built 2 of it.

8. The economy and democracy in America is Waaaayyyyyy better than that of Nigeria. Tribalism does not occur in America unlike likes of dmainboss and co calling others parasites. They are mature, we are not

9. Resources are shared regardless of region or ethnicity . Nigeria 13 % extra is given to the Niger-delta region and NDDC was formed to further enrich the elites of the region and the people are fine with it so long as he is for there region. No america demands accountability.

The comparison is a bit thick I must say
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by kennyeast(m): 7:51pm On Jan 29, 2012
smeww is that up to what one of GEJ aide loot in a year?
make una answer me o.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Funkymallam(m): 7:59pm On Jan 29, 2012
alj harem:

Dmainboss, wereperi ans funkymallam I don't still get your points. Lets state facts here

1. Are all the aids needed by her as the first lady of Nigeria ? Yes or No

2. If "Yes" for what and what is their jobs descriptions.

3. The government wants to cut funds by removing fuel subsidy which was a life line of the microeconomy. Food, transport etc has all gone up by 120% over night

4. The same leader is now doing double standards by not cutting his own expenses.

5. A LEADER CAN NEVER BE RESPECTED IF HE/SHE DOES NOT PRACTISE WHAT THEY PREACH. Fact !!!

You cannot reduce my expenses and you still be living large. Life does not work that way.

6. There is not comparison of Nigeria and america. They have a good government system that is transparent and honest with the people (to a reasonable standards) Nigeria has none.

7. It is taken 10 years for Nigeria to repair Benin-ore road that has killed over 200 people within those years, It took america less than 3 years to build the world trade center back and infact they built 2 of it.

8. The economy and democracy in America is Waaaayyyyyy better than that of Nigeria. Tribalism does not occur in America unlike likes of dmainboss and co calling others parasites. They are mature, we are not

9. Resources are shared regardless of region or ethnicity . Nigeria 13 % extra is given to the Niger-delta region and NDDC was formed to further enrich the elites of the region and the people are fine with it so long as he is for there region. No america demands accountability.

The comparison is a bit thick I must say

U r still dancing about here.
Who called Dame Patience here?

jmaine:

The cynics are helplessly tongue tied . . . This Funkymallam trap na correct one . . .guy na who design this trap for you na . . .na indians ?

Bros o, na frm Iran ooo. grin cheesy
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by vicade(m): 8:00pm On Jan 29, 2012
Though they both speak english,Patience will need an Interpreter.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by aljharem(m): 8:01pm On Jan 29, 2012
Funkymallam:

U r still dancing about here.
Who called Dame Patience here?

Or even GEJ, it still does not change the message  cheesy
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Kobojunkie: 8:02pm On Jan 29, 2012
Shy-One:

I agree with Alj Harem and Bloodless from page 1.

Also @ kobojunkie, I understand your point.  But let me tell you what professors at Northwestern University, University of Notre Dame, University of Wisconsin-Madison have stated to their classes, NEVER QUOTE WIKIPEDIA.  Every single topic in Wikipedia is submitted by ANYONE AND EVERYONE on the planet who are worthy and who are unworthy to define fiction or fact about topics they know nothing about but once they are done, Wikipedia has made them an expert to outsiders who don't know any better.  Wiki is not a reliable source and if you reference it, that reference will not count and YOUR GRADE WILL SUFFER.  Quote Wiki at your own risk.  After that first and last grade letter of (F) - I stopped quoting Wikipedia.

Forgive me, but I will be honest with  you and tell you straight up that what you give me above is what I consider USELESS INFORMATION considering I have made myself clear on what Wikipedia should mean to any sensible person out there.

Nowhere have I tried arguing that wikipedia itself is a RELIABLE or CREDIBLE SOURCE. It is simply a source with references that people can easily crosscheck if the information contained is doubted. Again, there are professors who will tell you that in itself makes WikiPedia more reliable than many others sources out there online we simply take at face value.

There are, to this day, tons of books out there, written by people in the field, that many would not consider reliable source of information, why? Go on sites like Amazon, and you will see books with various ratings, with comments hinting at the content not being exactly right, etc. What makes a source reliable?

On failing, I have actually used some of the information on WikiPedia to pass my exams. When I want to write a paper, I usually start from the Wiki source on the information, and then dig into the references for clarification and look up more academic references where needed. I have studied with it . . . . going back and forth my notes and had no problems at all. I particular love being able to quickly pull up the wiki pages in my maths classes ,  really convenient.

Like I said, if you feel the data presented does not seem close to what you expect, do additional research . . . . look up the references . . . all that is right on the page for one to use. I personally do not believe it makes sense to trust any single source out there. Investigate various sources to get a good idea of what is being said and wikipedia happens to be one I would not object to people investigating.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Kobojunkie: 8:06pm On Jan 29, 2012
Shy-One:

You know Michelle Obama pushes the "little person", she gives outsiders and little known entrepreneurs and newcomers, a shot (clothing designers).  Michelle and Barack shop at stores that the commoners and the average Americans shop at, they don't just buy or wear designer clothing, they also buy off the rack at stores that many Americans shop at, this is done intentionally to show their support for "those who struggle."  She does it intentionally.  Does Patience do the same?  Does Patience go and shop in the markets and move amongst the people as the Obamas  do?
grin
On Michelle Obama, I will also be honest with you. I don't give a rat's arse what she does.

She is not an elected leader. Her office is ceremonial with I believe a $1.6 milion a year allowance for Aids. Unless we are also going to debate the budget allocation to July 4th and Puxitawney Phil in Philadelphia( I am guessing he also gets about the same $1 million a year or there abouts), I don't care. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by mpmp: 8:13pm On Jan 29, 2012
dmainboss:

The following article and figures come from the Canadian Free Press and was written by Dr. Paul L. Williams

No, Michele Obama does not get paid to serve as the First Lady and she doesn’t perform any official duties. But this hasn’t deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession.

Just think, Mary Lincoln was taken to task for purchasing china for the White House during the Civil War. And Mamie Eisenhower had to shell out the salary for her personal secretary from her husband’s salary.

Jackie Kennedy - One
Roseline Carter - One
Barbara Bush - One
Hilary Clinton - Three
Laura Bush - One

How things have changed! If you’re one of the tens of millions of Americans facing certain destitution, earning less than subsistence wages stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart or serving up McDonald cheeseburgers, prepare to scream and then come to realize that the benefit package for these servants of Ms. Michelle are the same as members of the national security and defense departments and the bill for these assorted lackeys is paid by YOU,
John Q.Public.

Two $140,000 Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of
Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
Three $113,000 Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House
Social Secretary for Mrs. Obama)
Four $102,000 Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications
for the First Lady)
Five $100,000 Winter, Melissa (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First
Lady)
Six $90,000 Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
Seven $84,000 Lilyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
Eight $75,000 Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)
Nine $70,000 Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Project for the First Lady)
Ten $65,000 Burnough, Erinn (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
Eleven $64,000 Reinstein, Joseph B.(Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
Twelve $62,000 Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First
Lady)
Thirteen $60,000 Fitz, Alan O.(Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)
Fourteen. $57,500 Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)
Fifteen $52,500 Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary To The First Lady)
Sixteen $50,000 Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide To The First Lady)
Seventeen $45,000 Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)
Eighteen $43,000 Tubman, Samanth a (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)
Nineteen $40,000 Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
Twenty $36,000 Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)
Twenty-One, $35,000 Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
Twenty-Two $35,000 Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady)

Note: The above list doesn’t include makeup artist Ingrid Grimes-Miles, 49, and “First Hairstylist” Johnny Wright, 31, both of whom traveled aboard Air Force One to Europe.

It’s not clear who sets up Michelle’s photo ops and soup kitchens but it’s somewhat clear what kind of snacks the First Lady enjoys when she gets back to her hotel.

"The truth is, in order to get things like UHC (Universal Health Care) and a revamped education system, then someone is going to have to give up a piece of pie so that someone else can have more".
“The truth is, in order to get things like UHC (Universal Health Care) and a revamped education system, then someone is going to have to give up a piece of pie so that someone else can have more”.
Michelle Obama

And one can but wonder why this and similar information has to come from foreign press, perhaps because the USA is close to not having a free press; not a right wing one anyway.

[size=16pt]If only Nigeria's present first-lady could spend as much on getting an English teacher to teach her how to speak correct English, her vocabularious thunderings won't be ringing louder than boko haram's bombs.[/size]
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by ShyOne(f): 8:16pm On Jan 29, 2012
^^^^
@ Kobo

First question, Why would you waste your valuable time?  My time is too valuable to waste messing with Wikipedia.  But hey, I'm not knocking you, if you have the time to waste then help yourself.  I just want to make sure that "other readers" know the risks  http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=4461, readers who value their grades and are attending universities DON'T REFERENCE WIKIPEDIA  http://beyond-school.org/2010/01/03/wikipedia-wikipedia-is-not-a-reliable-source/, http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1369330.html

Wikipedia is a time waster, why pull it up and then have to backtrack and double check and cross check and cross reference it's information against a credible source just to make sure the creator of the Wikipedia entry, knows what they are talking about?

Second question,  how many universities have you attended?  And why would you utilize wikipedia when most professors at well-known and highly credible universities ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to acknowledge or accept anything from Wikipedia?  If your professors are accepting it, that is NOT THE NORM.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Funkymallam(m): 8:18pm On Jan 29, 2012
alj harem:

Or even GEJ, it still does not change the message  cheesy

now u are playing back pass. So, u r asking me what ur president needs aides for?
Wc kingdom are u frm? cheesy
mpmp:

[size=16pt]If only Nigeria's present first-lady could spend as much on getting an English teacher to teach her how to speak correct English, her vocabularious thunderings won't be ringing louder than boko haram's bombs.[/size]

Free my pacence ooo, after all Michelle s American n they speak English while i have adviced our dear Damn to speak ijaw and get an interpreter aide grin cheesy
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by ShyOne(f): 8:19pm On Jan 29, 2012
@ Kobo

In regard to Michelle Obama, I was just contributing to the thread, some thoughts.

How you feel about Michelle Obama on a personal level and which rat's arse you chose to ride today, tomorrow or yesterday is between you and your mirror.

I wasn't personally attacking you and the Michelle Obama ruminations that I had, weren't directed at you either.  That's why I started a new paragraph and that paragraph wasn't directed at you.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by ridgeman: 8:20pm On Jan 29, 2012
Interesting topic! Fact is one nation can afford and account for all the aides whilst the other? Well,
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2012
Shy-One:

^^^^

First question, Why would you waste your valuable time?  My time is too valuable to waste messing with Wikipedia.  But hey, I'm not knocking you, if you have the time to waste then help yourself.  I just want to make sure that "other readers" know the risks  http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=4461, readers who value their grades and are attending universities DON'T REFERENCE WIKIPEDIA  http://beyond-school.org/2010/01/03/wikipedia-wikipedia-is-not-a-reliable-source/, http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1369330.html

But you there assume what applies to you ABSOLUTELY applies to me. I don't waste my time. Infact WikiPedia is my way of getting straight to what I need rather than spending hours checking websource after websoure for what I want.

It is interesting that for you, posts on places like beyond-school.org, ubuntuforums.org and www.ajr.org , you would consider more reliable. Interesting !!

You wanting to make sure your readers know risks is fine but I am not one of the newbies who has does not know that ANYTHING on the internet is as UNRELIABLE as any book out there in the stores, or in the libraries. cheesy I have written numerous reports using data found on Wikipedia, and sources contained, and this is over a period of so many years. I have been a Wiki Fan from way in the early 2000s and I have gotten wiki look up advice from PHD students and college professors alike. Yes the data is edited but that does not make it all useless. 

Shy-One:

Wikipedia is a time waster, why pull it up and then have to backtrack and double check and cross check and cross reference it's information against a credible source just to make sure the creator of the Wikipedia entry, knows what they are talking about?

I am sorry Wikipedia is a timewaster for you. It is not a time waster for me so I cannot say I understand you there.

Shy-One:

Second question,  how many universities have you attended?  And why would you utilize wikipedia when most professors at well-known and highly credible universities ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to acknowledge or accept anything from Wikipedia?  If your professors are accepting it, that is NOT THE NORM.
You did not read my post at all, did you? Again, I said, Wikipedia ITSELF is not the source, the information contained and the various references, link  serve that purpose. You doubt one, you check another reference, and another, and then another, and then another . . .  get it??
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by gameaddict(m): 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2012
@kobojunkie: These people don't know what they are saying, ignore them.

@all those challenging wikipedia as a valid resource: I bet most of you don't know what makes a resource valid. I can also bet that most of you only use the internet for silly, time wasting activities.
Whether you like it or not, wikipedia is more important and far better than most encyclopedias out there, paper or digital. It is part of what makes the internet the 'INTERNET'. That it allows content to be edited by users is no reason to challenge its usefulness. Those who make that mistake just prove that their knowledge is archaic and their learning process needs improvement. Learn to use WIKIPEDIA before you bash it.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by uddukes: 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2012
i think its time we give GEJ and his team some breathing space to concentrate on their jobs.boko today,strike tomoro,opposition party the next day
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by uddukes: 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2012
tribune.com.ng/sun/front-page-articles/6254-boko-haram-confirms-al-qaeda-link-as-cameroun-stations-soldiers-at-nigerias-borders

he Boko Haram sect has confirmed that it has been receiving funding and training from Al-Qaeda just as Cameroon is said to have stationed a battalion of soldiers at the nation’s northern borders with Nigeria to prevent the group’s activities from spilling over to that country.

A Cameroonian military source who confirmed the concerns of his country to the Sunday Tribune also disclosed that a recent attempt by 25 itinerant arabic teachers to cross into Cameroon was blocked by that country. “ We stone- walled them,” the source said while adding that the Cameroonian military is on red alert along the border with Nigeria.

This came just as Boko Haram confirmed to a London newspaper yesterday that it had been receiving funding and logistic supports from groups outside the country.

The Guardian of London yesterday published an exclusive interview with Boko Haram spokesman, Abu Qaqa in which he confirmed that the group’s leaders met with the Al Qaida in Saudi Arabia last August where they cemented the group’s financial and logistics base.

Qaqa, whose name is a pseudonym, said the group’s members were spiritual followers of al-Qaida, and claimed they had met senior figures in the network founded by Osama bin Laden during visits to Saudia Arabia.

Qaqa said the group’s leader, Shekau and others had travelled to Saudi Arabia for training and funding. “Al-Qaida are our elder brothers. During the lesser Hajj [last August], our leader travelled to Saudi Arabia and met al-Qaida there. We enjoy financial and technical support from them. Anything we want from them we ask them.”

Qaqa disclosed that recruits from neighbouring Chad, Cameroon and Niger had joined the group. A recent UN report said weapons from Libya may have been smuggled to Boko Haram and al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb via Chad, Niger and Nigeria.

He added that his group which has killed almost 1,000 people in Nigeria, will continue its campaign of violence until the country is ruled by sharia law.

“We will consider negotiation only when we have brought the government to their knees,” Qaqa said in the group’s first major interview with a western newspaper.

“Once we see that things are being done according to the dictates of Allah, and our members are released [from prison], we will only put aside our arms – but we will not lay them down. You don’t put down your arms in Islam, you only put them aside.”

The interview came a week after Boko Haram claimed responsibility for Nigeria’s single deadliest terrorist attack, which killed 186 people in the northern city of Kano.

The Guardian of London said it was able to contact Abu Qaqa through an intermediary from the group’s home state. The go-between has been in contact with the group since its inception, and met with its founder, Mohammed Yusuf, several times before he was killed in 2009. For most of the interview he used a voice modulator, but local journalists confirmed that his undisguised voice matched recordings of previous interviews.

Security officials and diplomats in Abuja said they had no evidence of a link with al-Qaida in Saudi Arabia, but an official confirmed that “elements of Boko Haram have made contact with external groups”. The extent and frequency of that contact was unknown, the official said.

In the decade since it first appeared, Boko Haram has graduated from crude driveby attacks on beer parlours to bombing security buildings in the northern Muslim heartland. Its most audacious attack targeted the United Nations building in the capital, Abuja, killing 25 in August. In recent weeks, Christians institutions have increasingly come under fire. A Christmas Day bomb attack on a packed church just outside the capital claimed almost 40 lives.

But Qaqa said the rights of the country’s 70 million Christians, who represent half of Nigeria’s population, “would be protected” under the group’s envisioned Islamic state. “Even the prophet Mohammed lived with non-Muslims and he gave them their dues.” But he said everyone must abide by sharia law: “There are no exceptions. Even if you are a Muslim and you don’t abide by sharia, we will kill you. Even if you are my own father, we will kill you.”

Speaking fluent but non-native Hausa, the lingua franca across the Sahelian belt on the cusp of the Sahara desert, he said: “It’s the secular state that is responsible for the woes we are seeing today. People should understand that we are not saying we have to rule Nigeria, but we have been motivated by the stark injustice in the land. People underrate us but we have our sights set on [bringing sharia to] the whole world, not just Nigeria.”

Sharia law is already in place across 12 states in the Muslim-majority north. Few believe the group’s radical ideology has traction in Nigeria’s mainly Christian south, which is also home to millions of Muslims and has so far been out of the group’s reach.

Raising his voice for the only time during the interview, Qaqa denied reports that some governors in northern Nigeria paid the group monthly allowances in exchange for immunity from attacks. “May God punish anyone that said so,” he said, before adding that the group has popular support in the north.

“Poor people are tired of the injustice, people are crying for saviours and they know the messiahs are Boko Haram.

“People were singing songs in [northern cities] Kano and Kaduna saying: ‘We want Boko Haram’,” Qaqa said, describing how the group can blend into the communities in which it operates.

“If the masses don’t like us they would have exposed us by now. When Islam comes everyone would be happy,” he said.

Diplomats say Nigeria’s security services are belatedly attempting to gain control of the situation, which was previously dismissed as an internal, northern squabble often fuelled by politicians with personal grievances.

“There is an ongoing review of all security agencies,” the presidential aide Ken Wiwa said.

“This is a relatively new phenomenon in Nigeria and the administration is working hard to improve its capacity to respond. There are various other initiatives which will be implemented but this is as much a political as a security issue.”

An official said Nigeria’s central bank was involved in measures aimed at strangling the group’s external funding sources, including speeding up a cashless economy.

In an audio message posted on YouTube on Friday, the group’s current leader, Abubakar Shekau, threatened to bomb schools and kidnap family members of government officials.

“If [security forces] are going to places of worship and destroying them, like mosques and Quranic schools, you have primary schools as well, you have secondary schools and universities, and we will start bombing them.”

Shekau rejected calls for a negotiated peace from President Goodluck Jonathan, who on Thursday called for the shadowy sect to step out of the shadows and engage in dialogue.

Nigerian officials have voiced hopes for a negotiated settlement with “moderate elements” of the group.

“Under the circumstances, if you look hard enough, you can find moderate elements you can communicate with,” General Andrew Azazi, the National Security Adviser to the president, told the Wall Street Journal on Friday.

Western diplomats say Boko Haram has splintered and the hardliners leading the factions responsible for the wave of violence that has killed some 250 people this year appear to have rejected any suggestion of dialogue.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by gameaddict(m): 8:38pm On Jan 29, 2012
@uddukes: We give leaders support, so many privileges, so much power, what else could they need? for what is not given, we have given them the power to take, to create, to alter. Why are African leaders still so greedy and selfish.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by ShyOne(f): 8:46pm On Jan 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

But you there assume what applies to you ABSOLUTELY applies to me. I don't waste my time. Infact WikiPedia is my way of getting straight to what I need rather than spending hours checking websource after websoure for what I want.

? It is rare that I even use a "web source", wikipedia or otherwise in any paper.  My experience with students who use the internet to write their paper is that "they want to rush and get done and usually their grade reflects that",  My norm is to browse libraries for quality content.  But because of the controversy and negative reception Wikipedia receives in MOST academic circles, AS A PERSON OF HIGH INTELLECT which you present yourself as being, my question to you was why even "go to wikipedia" when more acceptable search engines and websites gives you multiple options that aren't Wikipedia based.  But hey, just my question and a small question at that,

It is interesting that for you, posts on places like beyond-school.org, ubuntuforums.org and www.ajr.org , you would consider more reliable. Interesting !!

I am writing a paper, I am having a chat, an apple and an orange, though both are fruit, are incomparable.  It is interesting that you put an informal chat on the same level as a formal academic prose/thesis or paper? and then question my hyperlinks?? smh

You wanting to make sure your readers know risks is fine but I am not one of the newbies who has does not know that ANYTHING on the internet is as UNRELIABLE as any book out there in the stores, or in the libraries. cheesy

Listing Wikipedia makes you sound like a newbie, that's the problem with listing Wikipedia informally or formally, people then start questioning your legitimacy as well, even in a conversation, just saying.

I am sorry Wikipedia is a timewaster for you. It is not a time waster for me so I cannot say I understand you there.
You did not read my post at all, did you? Again, I said, Wikipedia ITSELF is not the source, the information contained and the various references, link  serve that purpose. You doubt one, you check another reference, and another, and then another, and then another . . .  get it??

I read your post, clearly and you did say everything that you said, but I still am stating that Wikipedia is a time waster, Why go to Wikipedia and get any information?  Because in the end, you are still going to a source outside of Wikipedia to cross check its legitimacy.  I understand your thought process of using Wiki to go "straight to" the sources it cites.  Well if you can use Wiki as a tool to get to the sources Wiki cites, my thought is to just go to those sources through Google if you insist on citing an internet source.

Your School's Library online database has a search engine that will bury Wikipedia and Google and if you contact any librarian at your university or college they will produce via phone and list of sources you can check out and cite that is longer and higher than you stand tall.  So that's just my question to you?  Anyway I did read your posts and do agree with most of what you have contributed to the thread, I just am surprised at anyone who wastes time on Wikipedia.

Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by iykak47: 8:47pm On Jan 29, 2012
when it suits some people they compare Nigeria to America, when it does not suit them you hear 'no basis for comparison'. Its annoying that some folks  who think oyibos are always right   beliveve Michelle Obama should have more aides than Nigerian president,(slave mentality} SHAME on you.

Funkymallan i doff my hat to you, accept my e-handshake.
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Obijulius: 8:48pm On Jan 29, 2012
Wen we kill off OBJ & oda rottin northerners who av stolen d wealth of d nigerdelta den d se & ss will listen 2 trash lyk dis
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by ShyOne(f): 9:00pm On Jan 29, 2012
gameaddict:

@kobojunkie: These people don't know what they are saying, ignore them.

@all those challenging wikipedia as a valid resource: I bet most of you don't know what makes a resource valid. I can also bet that most of you only use the internet for silly, time wasting activities.
Whether you like it or not, wikipedia is more important and far better than most encyclopedias out there, paper or digital. It is part of what makes the internet the 'INTERNET'. That it allows content to be edited by users is no reason to challenge its usefulness. Those who make that mistake just prove that their knowledge is archaic and their learning process needs improvement. Learn to use WIKIPEDIA before you bash it.

Question:

Nigeria has in excess of 30+ Federal Ministries, almost 40

Your wonderful Wikipedia is out-of-date and lists 27 Federal Ministries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Ministries_of_Nigeria

But I am archaic? and I need to improve my learning process?

Go ahead, use Wikipedia and write your papers. It will confuse you and force you to do the research that you should have done without it's interference.

Had I used Wikipedia to write a paper on Nigeria, I would receive an F as it is out-dated and there is no-one being paid to keep it's information current, especially on sports, government, political, medical, religious scenes, events or activities.

Has Wikipedia yet included the 5 governors that were just released? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_state_governors, I just checked, no it hasn't.

"But we are the archaic ones and our learning process needs improvement." smh
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by BetaThings: 9:01pm On Jan 29, 2012
dmainboss:

Jackie Kennedy - One
Roseline Carter - One
Barbara Bush - One
Hilary Clinton - Three
Laura Bush - One

John Q.Public.

Now post the names and pay of Jonathan's aides
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2012

? It is rare that I even use a "web source", wikipedia or otherwise in any paper.  My experience with students who use the internet to write their paper is that "they want to rush and get done and usually their grade reflects that",   My norm is to browse libraries for quality content.  But because of the controversy and negative reception Wikipedia receives in MOST academic circles, AS A PERSON OF HIGH INTELLECT which you present yourself as being, my question to you was why even "go to wikipedia" when more acceptable search engines and websites gives you multiple options that aren't Wikipedia based.  But hey, just my question and a small question at that,

It is wrong to assume that in the academic circles you have been exposed to, there is a negative reception, means this is GENERAL. That is completely wrong.

I live in America and I do not like spending hours at the library perusing all the books to find the ones to use for my write ups, and I certainly do not enjoy spending hours browsing page after page for information that ends up being useless at the end.

Here's an example of a search  . . ,  I had to do research on compilers in general back in December. I went online googled and found the Compilers wikiPage.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler
I read through the information on the Page . . . very good stuff. And then I found this other reference http://www.eis.mdx.ac.uk/staffpages/r_bornat/books/compiling.pdf  Which I immediately decided to read since it seemed to be along the lines of what I was studying for at the time. Now, when I compared the information in that book to what was presented on the WikiPage, it seemed it was accurate. I also visited other references like http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/ansatte/torbenm/Basics/

Should I discard all that information because you, and some folks, do not see the good that Wiki has to offer? If I had gone out to the library looking for sources, I would have had to spend the whole day, but this search took me seconds and I found exactly what I needed.

Now on the issue of more acceptable search engines, what exactly are you referring to? Google is a website search engine, whereas WikiPedia is a data search engine  . . . two different concepts.

I am writing a paper, I am having a chat, an apple and an orange, though both are fruit, are incomparable.  It is interesting that you put an informal chat on the same level as a formal academic prose/thesis or paper? and then question my hyperlinks?? smh
I put an informal chat on the same level as formal academic prose/thesis or paper? How so?  We are discussing how useful a source can be and you post a random opinion posted in forums as evidence against the usefulness of said source. Why should I not question the rationale behind that move?
Re: Michelle Obama's 22 Aides Vs Gej 24 Aides. by klas(m): 9:05pm On Jan 29, 2012
The number of GEJ's aides is not 24. That is just for Special Advisers which is equivalent to full cabinet minister. He got approval to appoint 20 from the national assembly but appointed 22. There are still many Senior Special Assistants (equivalent to minister of state) and Special Assistants all numbering more than a hundred.

GEJ has the highest number of Special Advisers (not necesarily highest number of aides) in nigeria presidential history.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Severes Diplomatic Relations With Taiwan, Closes Abuja Office / "IPOB Crisis Bigger Than Boko Haram" - Kashim Shettima / Charly Boy And Deji Adeyanju Audio Conversation Leaked By Deji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.