Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (7127 Views)

Dedicated To ALL Mothers With Stillbirth Or Lost Pregnancy. / I Saw This Inside My Younger Brothers Bag (photos) / Why do Fathers Love their Daughters More & Mothers their Sons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by Nobody: 5:11am On Feb 18, 2012
Loving all these posts.
My last kid ain't a toddler anymore but reading this thread brings back memories.

Kids are so innocent and i don't get upset about anything they do.
I get amused actually.

Why get upset by a kid? They don't know what they're doing.
It's better to just correct them, you might feel they are too young to understand your correction, they ain't.

I don't advocate beating a kid.
Better to be vocal than physical. Mild spanking is ok though.

Conditioning and reinforcement should be used for kids.
Reward your kid for a good act and scold for a bad act.

This might be hard to do but ignore your kid when they form a habit of crying without reason.
Allow him cry till he wears himself out, if he knows crying won't be rewarded he will stop.

As for kids who refuse to eat solid, try giving mashed food, they tolerate that better.
No need to panic, very soon they will crave solid foods.
Always give them their preferred food, never force your child to eat what they don't enjoy.

BTW, kids have their own personality, some are laid back, some are aggressive etc.
These things are genetic and environment has little influence here.
Re: . by agiboma(f): 11:05pm On Feb 18, 2012
BlueDiva:

Loving all these posts.
My last kid ain't a toddler anymore but reading this thread brings back memories.

Kids are so innocent and i don't get upset about anything they do.
I get amused actually.

Why get upset by a kid? They don't know what they're doing.
It's better to just correct them, you might feel they are too young to understand your correction, they ain't.

I don't advocate beating a kid.
Better to be vocal than physical. Mild spanking is ok though.

Conditioning and reinforcement should be used for kids.
Reward your kid for a good act and scold for a bad act.

This might be hard to do but ignore your kid when they form a habit of crying without reason.
Allow him cry till he wears himself out, if he knows crying won't be rewarded he will stop.

As for kids who refuse to eat solid, try giving mashed food, they tolerate that better.
No need to panic, very soon they will crave solid foods.
Always give them their preferred food, never force your child to eat what they don't enjoy.

BTW, kids have their own personality, some are laid back, some are aggressive etc.
These things are genetic and environment has little influence here.

lol thanks diva for the words of encouragement smiley
Re: . by maran1983(f): 7:55am On Feb 20, 2012
Thank alot Muttee, i do appreciate your help. I hooked up with Mrs. Siena out side of this forum and she gave me loads of tips on different kinds of food to try out. I am trying them out gradually to see which he likes.

On the biting part, my son is a king in biting; at times he pulls ,y top down so he can get to bite my boobs! People advised me to bite him back but i do not have the heart to do that,i bought him a soft toy instead and anytime he is tempted to bite me, i give him his toy and that has helped a whole lot.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 8:15am On Feb 20, 2012
@maran
I replied your mail
did u add me?
Re: . by modele2: 2:01pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hi ladies,
To the mamas with biting babies, i think you have to do more to stop it. My baby started it and i spanked it out of her, she stopped. She has started school (21 months) now only for a fellow classmate to have bitten her on two occasions, the scar of the one of the bites would definitely remain till her teen years, thats if it ever goes off.
I didnt find it funny that i made painful strides to stop my child from biting only for her to experience biting from a child with a careless mummie that did not make enough effort. I sound harsh, but i honestly did not find the bites funny , the first one i actually laughed off, but the second,
Long and short so all you can to stop such habits before they leave the house.
Dont get me wrong, my parenting skills are not perfect but sometimes we have to take the bull by the horns. I saw some mammas saying they didnt have the heart to bite back, giving the child a sophie to bite, my dear they might see someone called sophie in class and try their teeth there.
The tot of that bite mark on my babys fair skin just ticks me so offffffff
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 2:31pm On Feb 20, 2012
I feel your pain dear sister
but saying the mother of the other child
is careless does not sound well.
my daughter bites and pinches alot
we have done almost everything to stop her
to no avail
her father even bites her back at times (which makes m
me mad)

would you say am a careless mother?
Re: . by mutter(f): 3:05pm On Feb 20, 2012
I guess she meant to use the word "consequent" wink
One has to be consequent with kids. Do you notice how smart kids are? When the are in public they try stunts they would never dare if they were at home. I always react the same way and i do not care who is watching.
I do not shout at toddlers but the tone in my voice becomes very firm and my facial expression changes. That way even when my face alone changes they know that something is wrong. However sometimes a spank just has to be. That however for me is only in dangerous situations where i know I have to get the message across for the safety of the child. But even that is a soft tap on the fingers or buttocks.
The issue of spanking children is controversial, but whatever it takes to instil discipline in a child has to be used even as a last option. However beating a child always means you have lost control of the situation. You have achieved only short term goals.
Basically with children you have to became a cracked record and keep repeating yourself , over and over again. I vertually torture my older kids with my long sermons grin
as regards the issue of feeding. I discovered that most kids that do not like baby food, love to eat on the table. When ever we eat I always have the little child with me and even at a very young age. I let them get a taste of the food.
Gosh all my toddlers loved Okro soup.
Re: . by modele2: 3:26pm On Feb 20, 2012
@tess
I guess careless is kinda harsh, becos with my little parenting experience i know there are some bad habits of my child i am still struggling with, sometimes they really dont know what they are doing, but other times believe me they do!
Your reaction to your hubbies biting back is presisely what i am talking about, though i dont believe biting back will solve the problem, infact the child might see it as a game., but i think you should recognise it as an issue, theres nothing cute about it at all, go read about it online (baby centre et al). It has got to be on the front burner, becos the child can harm others. you dont have to love the solution, do what is necessary. at least try your bestest best first, i still think there is room. My hubby has a cain for our baby, i hate it, but he uses it to scare her and frankly it works, so i close my eyes becos we cant conflict on training issues in her presence(and as long as i monitor the cane treathening sessions).
Spanking (with my hand on her bum) is a personal choice, it worked for me while growing up, i didnt see it as abuse and i have the bestest of relationships with my parents. I intend to follow that approach, i daresay i turned out pretty well. Thankfully i live in Nigeria where a corrective spank is acceptable.
So sis, put urself in my position, if there is a child that loves to punch, (and his parents have tried everythin tongue)then he practices his punches on ur baby and knocks a teeth out, twice. You might just say more than i did sad
Re: . by modele2: 3:39pm On Feb 20, 2012
No vex abeg

I guess i am venting out my fustration at the biting episode. I never felt more helpless. I actually considered pulling her out of the school.

@mutter, thanks for helping me better select ma english cheesy

Lemmie not derail the light, cheerful note of this thread . Peace all,,
Re: . by mutter(f): 3:40pm On Feb 20, 2012
Model I get you. I was really mad when a child bit my toddler in the face.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 4:50pm On Feb 20, 2012
I get your point Modele
but we are all unique in our
own ways.
I can't lie to you that i don't spank
her some times
i am just waiting for her to grow up a bit so i can start
using a cane to frighten her or even weep her buttocks lol
i realised we went for weekend at my parent's place and
a neigbour's child was using a cane to whip other kids
and frighten her with, guess what she repeated
the same thing on her cousin
whiping her lol
this children would not kill me
it's almost 5pm and my ears are all ready
to hear a series of cries and my skin some pinching and biting coz
am closing for the day.

kisses to all those little ones who still make us proud and happy each day.
Re: . by blank(f): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2012
I noticed that whenever my boy returns from a weekend with his grandparents, he is more stubborn and more demanding. I have talked 2 my MIL, she says he will outgrow it. But this week that I l traveled I am seeing a different side of him. He can cry for hrs till he gets what he wants, bangs his head around n insists I carry him all day. This is becoming too serious for me 2 ignore. Any advice?
Re: . by maran1983(f): 10:13am On Feb 21, 2012
Tessybabe, i saw your mail indeed; i have just been so so busy. Could you please add me, its mathy205@yahoo.com, please. Thanks
Re: . by soapdish(f): 11:38am On Feb 21, 2012
Pls I need a second opinion here. My son just started school and he usually don't accept breakfast before leaving for school so I pack his cereal along with noodles or anyother adult food. Last week the class teacher said we should stop putting the cereal for him. I'm considering letting them know that he doesn't eat proper breakfast before leaving for school but my husband is saying I should do as they say as I may come across as teaching them their job. He is not two yet and I don't it is ok for him to eat only noodles, biscuit and juice from morning till 2 or 3pm. What do you think?. Thanks
Re: . by modele2: 11:53am On Feb 21, 2012
soapdish:

Pls I need a second opinion here. My son just started school and he usually don't accept breakfast before leaving for school so I pack his cereal along with noodles or anyother adult food. Last week the class teacher said we should stop putting the cereal for him. I'm considering letting them know that he doesn't eat proper breakfast before leaving for school but my husband is saying I should do as they say as I may come across as teaching them their job. He is not two yet and I don't it is ok for him to eat only noodles, biscuit and juice from morning till 2 or 3pm. What do you think?. Thanks
For them to tell you that then peharps the school has no provision for that, but i think you should let them know. Your husband dosent have to know, just ask them nicely. At my kids school i pack cereal for breakfast, a snack(Caprisone, n sandwiches or biscuit, lunch and another cereal for around 3 o clock) she is not yet two so its a play group maybe thats why they tolerate the food. IF they dont agree, then start compellin sunny boy to eat in the mornings o. you could start with giving him rice or whole meal biscuits in the car or something and some soymilk(by chi- its filling and my girl loves it and she sees it as a snack).

blank:

I noticed that whenever my boy returns from a weekend with his grandparents, he is more stubborn and more demanding. I have talked 2 my MIL, she says he will outgrow it. But this week that I l traveled I am seeing a different side of him. He can cry for hrs till he gets what he wants, bangs his head around n insists I carry him all day. This is becoming too serious for me 2 ignore. Any advice?

I think grandparents are the kings of spoiling kids. shocked. thats my personal opinion. they allow them to get away with anything becsos they know they would not face the direct repercaution. they do this unknowingly. they give lots of chocolates but dont have to deal with the tatar and tooth decay when it comes. those ones become your problem. I personally avoid such visits as much as i possibly can or till when it begins to look akward. keep the kids busy at weekends, 'Oh shes going swimming'whatever, , limit it as much as possible. its inlaws that might take offence, but me i do it both ways , with nice smiles and excuses so i dont feel guilty about it. They have trained their own. lemmie train my own. I have also sold the idea to my husband successfully so we talk with one voice there.
Re: . by soapdish(f): 1:29pm On Feb 21, 2012
Thank you @modele, guess I will have to keep trying to make him eat early morning until he gets used to it. I will definitely let them know.
Re: . by mutter(f): 1:35pm On Feb 21, 2012
Saodish, It is okay for you to ask why they don`t want cereals, but I think you should just leave it out. I do not give my kids at that age anything sweet to KG. No cereals and certainly no juices. Sometimes a yogurt. At that age you could give him yogurt or fruits, like banana. There are so many different things that are healthy and convenient that a child can eat at that age.
Re: . by blank(f): 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2012
I travel regularly for work so I leave him with them, can't avoid it. Today is his birthday but he got me so angry I almost spanked him. Something has to give n I am afraid but I have to break that his stubbornness. My husband says he is "determined and spirited". Yet he can't cope with him alone for more than 1hr.
Re: . by mutter(f): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2012
blank he cries for hours because he knows that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Carrying the child at the end just relays the message that "okay , I hve to cry harder and longer".You need to get the message across, that it does not work. It is very difficult but two three times and it starts to klick.
Re: . by soapdish(f): 2:11pm On Feb 21, 2012
Thanks @ mutter. kiss sometimes I don"t just know what to give him.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 2:14pm On Feb 21, 2012
please gurls
i need ur suggestions here
i have to stop my daughter from sucking
her thumb before she starts skool this
september
what do i do?
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 4:10pm On Feb 27, 2012
bump
Re: . by agiboma(f): 4:18pm On Feb 27, 2012
@ blank ahh yes i carry my son all the time as he rufuses to go down, somedays my arm hurts embarassed. lol @ daddy cant handle him for an hour ohh yes its the same thing over here and when my son cries and i try to ignore him daddy comes in saying "why cant you comfort him" smh
@ tessy, i dont have that problem with my son, but have you tried applying something bitter to her thumb so she gets a little distracted and wont want to suck her thumb because of the bitter taste.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 4:30pm On Feb 27, 2012
bitter taste you said?
i remember applying aloe vera
juice (raw aloe vera) on her finger coz she
had rashes
guess what? she licked the juice and even snatched
some of the aloe vera leaf to suck
lol
Re: . by agiboma(f): 4:44pm On Feb 27, 2012
tessybaby:

bitter taste you said?
i remember applying aloe vera
juice (raw aloe vera) on her finger coz she
had rashes
guess what? she licked the juice and even snatched
some of the aloe vera leaf to suck
lol

lol she sweet and precious grin bless her, well i got no other suggestions maybe some of the expereinced mom's will have better advice.
Re: . by loveheaven(f): 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2012
My second baby is 15months old going 16. He bites and pinches a lot and I have tried all sorts of method and now after reading all these posts I feel so guilty because I find myself spanking him now. I have gotten so used to it and I find it hard to break. His older brother is not left out. As for the crying, it is a way of life now, can't but accept it. I didn't spank my older son while he was still a baby, time out was the in thing for him then.

Oh God help me, they sap me out!
Re: . by maran1983(f): 7:29am On Feb 28, 2012
@Tessybabe, have you tried wrapping a plaster around her finger? That could help. A neighbour of mine had the same issue with her son and she said the plaster bit helped.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 8:27am On Feb 28, 2012
Thanx Maran
i'll try dat
Re: . by maran1983(f): 8:12am On Feb 29, 2012
You are welcome love, hope it helps.
Re: . by othenok(f): 10:35pm On Feb 29, 2012
Hi! Gosh am loving this thread. I ve lovely 2 yr old n also heavily preggy. My once independent son has become too clingy. He cries n Screams alot these days. Am at my wits end. My hubby says he cant notice any change in him so may be na my condition dey do me?
Re: . by mutter(f): 8:33am On Mar 01, 2012
othernok. The child needs some attention. Children can sense when their mum is expecting even if they can`t put it into words. Take some time out for him alone. At the same time it is very important for him to know your limit and when you do not have time.
Enough sleep is also very important for toddlers. Most times they get in a bad mood of all clingy and crying because they are tired.
Re: . by MrsSiena1(f): 12:41pm On Mar 05, 2012
For biting my lil one did bite but anything she bites us we just give her a mock bite back and see how it feels, she didnt like it and so stopped immediately. As for attention she loves and craves it cant wait for her to start going to either school or daycare for her to leave the house for some hours cos she can be quite handful sometimes. She is 20months old.

Oh and she eats any food you give her she doesnt like eggs no matter how I hide the egg with other food is as if she can smell it she doesnt like eggs at all. Oh she loves cowtail its so funny she chews off all the meat on it and leaves the bone all white drops it and reaches out for yours.

The trouble we have with her now is for her to sleep in her room she has been sleeping with us in our bedroom since she was born and she doesnt want to start sleeping on her own but I have put my foot down as from next week she would have to be in her room whether she likes it or not cos enough is enough lol. We want our bedroom back

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / Who Remembers Belinda Song(1984) By Hardy Harrell? / I Am Angry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.