Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? (8891 Views)

Men, Do You Consider A Woman's Boob Size? / Will You consider a Genotype Test Before Marriage? / Which Nairalander Could You Consider A Potential Partner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by Ezeufi: 12:24am On Feb 06, 2012
On the dodgy evidence presented so far, no verse in the bible where God has forbidden multiple wives. However, religious extremist want to make their own interpretation of as what God meant it to be. Unless God was shy to forbid multiple wives then he had to use "implied" statements like "they shall become one flesh". Becoming one flesh is not and strictly forbidding taking a second wife is not the same thing. As you may interpret one flesh in that way, I may interpret one flesh as one family. Because literary, two people cannot become one flesh. Metaphorically, it can have numerous meanings. Since God has never explicitly firbidden multiple wives anywhere in the bible, together with the facts that the prophets like Abraham, David, Solomon, etc had multiple wives; It is not too late for some brothers to accept the fact that they have been duped beautifully.

GOD HAS NEVER FORBIDDEN MULTIPLE WIVES. PERIOD.
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by kizito96(m): 12:26am On Feb 06, 2012
Nothing except death will make me think of a second wife. Even in death, i have to be convinced of the reason to take a second wife.
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 06, 2012
The day I look at my wife and I really don't dig what I see any more am going to take the next avaliable train. Next train not to take a second wife but to start a new marriage with a new brand wify. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by http(m): 1:18am On Feb 06, 2012
woodcook:

The day I look at my wife and I really don't dig what I see any more am going to take the next avaliable train. Next train not to take a second wife but to start a new marriage with a new brand wify. grin grin grin grin grin

This got me rolling on the floor grin grin grin
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by Gornur9: 2:50am On Feb 06, 2012
freecocoa:

Yeah I'll consider marrying two husbands. cool

HAHAHAHA
Great thought!
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by sleekch1c(f): 6:50am On Feb 06, 2012
Black men and their lack of discipline.marry as many desperadoes as U̶̲̥̅̊ deem fit, who gives a hoot?ŋ☺† me!

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by sandpaper: 9:48am On Feb 06, 2012
Before you confidently say I can't, ask yourself the following questions.
Do I have polygamy in my foundation?
Do I sometimes find other women more attractive than my wife?
Have ever thought you should have been married to someone else?
Do you sometimes avoid present your wife publicly in the midst of friends?
If you currently have one issue have u ever thought that ur old girlfriend could have been better?
Do you enjoy the company of other ladies more than your wife?
If a woman gives herself freely to u without asking can u hold urself back?
Do u have blackberry/facebook femail friend u don't want ur wife to know?
Do you feel more freedom to express yourself and associate freely anytime your wife is away?
Your answers to each of these questions goes a long way in determining what you might do about a second wife. As much as possible deal with symptoms of polygamy in ur life through prayer.
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by mcdante(m): 11:30am On Feb 06, 2012
Well for me, a second wife can come in only when the first wife is separated by death and left no child. If there is a child then i will stay without unless God specifically appoints one for me ( yes, God can do that).
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by thirty(m): 1:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
The bible did never talk about second wife. The book Mattew only talk about "divorce".
Second wife is better than adultery. The bible say cut a faulty half is better than allow the entire body to enter hell.
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by tEsLim(m): 3:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
Well , I dont see how polygamy is a sin though fast becoming frowned at these days. But people cheat more now than back in the days when they would just own up to responsibility and marry the new girl and treat her like a woman. Half the girls here sleep with married men but wil never admit it. Hypocrates na him plenty pass for the forum. And if you happen to become pregnant for the man what would you do?

I'm trying to get a 2nd home offshore; maybe Spain or somewhere they speak a different language smiley and not English. So they both will be from different background and wont be able to have anything in common or anything to discuss. Marrying a foreigner to be 2nd wife will be cool. And having enough resources to shuttle the flights. Better to have two than one. Yoruba prover talk say "Person thing no dey become two make him vex". But I'll prefer a foreign 2nd woman and kids shekina , I have no further explanation.

Dont be a coward.
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by Haribo: 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2012
A few things:

We need to understand the reason why our ancestors practiced polygamy, before having these discussions. Here are my thoughts:

- Back in the day when we lived mostly on subsistence farming, the more children a family had, the more hands to work the land. More wives = more kids (at least if the guy knows what he's doing). The number of wives & kids also tied into the amout of wealth the family had, so there was added incentive to procreate & keep multiple wives.

- Back in the day, when we hadn't yet obtained medical advancements like vaccination, improved healthcare, etc, kids (and people in general) died from common illnesses and women died in childbirth. One had to have more kids in order to increase the odds for survival to carry the family name and work the land. More wives = more kids. Life expectancy has increased a lot with medical advancement, so anyone carrying wife #2,3, etc on his back should be ready to care for them for a LOOONG time. LOL.

- Back in the day, women were not considered as able candidates to lead in the community, contribute in the breadwinning duties, and take care of their old parents, so when one had a female child, the best solution to guarantee their wellbeing was to get them married off to a wealthy man asap, regardless of how many wives he already had.

These are my thoughts. They may be a bit oversimplified, but I think they are correct for the most part.

Now, in the 21st century, the three conditions I listed above have severely diminished at the very least. As such, any person that wishes to practice polygamy must be blind to the economic realities of our time, or really parochial in mindset. Just my opinion. I'm not against polygamy, I just don't think the polygamy practiced by our predecessors is sustainable in the times we live in.

Side note: Polygamy will not stop a man from cheating. A man will cheat because he wants to, not because he didn't have enough wives. Let's get real.

1 Like

Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by lifestyle1(m): 12:37am On Feb 08, 2012
cool
Re: Why Would You Consider A Second Wife ? by kambili190: 9:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
there were men with multiple wives in the old testament but the new testament clearly says that each man shold have his own wife and NOT his own wives! and if the husband's body belongs to his wife then he must ask her permission to give it away to other women. why do people lack common sense.

however, if the Bible does not condemn polygamy then women are also free to marry multiple husbands, aren't they? grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Must A Man Wear A New Suit On His Wedding Day? / Are Nigerian Men Romantic? / Best S3x Positions To Give Your Woman Crazy Climax – VIDEOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.