Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140230 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Ctemi(f): 7:07pm On Jan 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I'm just seeing your post now. Has your sevis issue been resolved? So I could answer you ASAP on what you should do.
It has be resolved already by you on bbm.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2015
Anyone in Tennessee?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by exxy(m): 9:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
slimmy05:
Anyone in Tennessee?

are u on fb?
i have someone there, pm me ur fb ID
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by lastmanstandn(m): 6:42am On Jan 17, 2015
PLEASE anyone in Boston, MA or Lowell, MA
I am due to Travel on Tuesday, i-20 expires Thursday and I still know no one in Boston, a big city 40 Kilometers from Lowell, where my school is.
I need help oo
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by FindOut(m): 5:26am On Jan 18, 2015
lastmanstandn:
I am due to Travel on Tuesday, i-20 expires Thursday and I still know no one in Boston, a big city 40 Kilometers from Lowell, where my school is.
I need help oo

Contact your international office via phone or email and ask if they can help provide you with temporary accommodation and also if they can hook you up with a Nigerian there. The first request is more important than the 2nd, from my assessment of your situation.

Also, here's a link mentioning a Nigerian student who has apparently graduated last year.. http://www.uml.edu/News/press-releases/2014/Mediationwinner022014.aspx *Edit: Look up the guy on facebook. He is there..I clicked on the profiles bearing his name and found him on first profile....through his education info. (It's not me that will post someone's (who i don't know) facebook id publicly to another someone I don't know.lol). Add him up, hope he accepts (send a message) and connect with him. I assume you're a honest person. I hope he's helpful. FYI, I got all these by simply googling the name of your school and adding Nigeria in front. And now, I have seen a most recent alumnus who is also a Nigerian on facebook. This is just an example of being smart as long as your intentions are good. NO DULLING Oga.

Get on craigslist.com and start looking for apartments/shared rooms. http://boston.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=lowell . To know the distance to school or your department, use www.maps.google.com . I don't know anyone in Boston unfortunately, but, even without knowing anyone, you can cope. Just ask questions and be smart (again, not in a bad way of course). Be very careful here (don't part with your money easily) and I strongly advise you seek someone's opinion over there before paying for a place.

I read something about your funding situation on the previous page. It can be risky if you come here without a clear cut plan of how you intend paying your tuition and ordinarily, I would strongly advise you against it. However, when you get here, don't be shy...again, ask questions. Talk to your department chair, department secretary, academic advisor, international advisor, fellow grad students e.t.c. on what funding / graduate assistantship opportunities are available for international students in your school )college) and campus wide. Saw a resource here which I hope you have looked through http://www.uml.edu/Grad/assistantships.aspx

Journey mercies.

Lastly, PRAY for God's guidance and favors upon you. He works in mysterious ways.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by tbaba1234: 7:04am On Jan 18, 2015
lastmanstandn:
I need help oo

Contact your international office and they would get someone to pick you at the airport. Some schools also provide temporary accomodation

Call them and ask... This na small thing
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by lastmanstandn(m): 11:47am On Jan 21, 2015
FindOut:

Contact your international office via phone or email and ask if they can help provide you with temporary accommodation and also if they can hook you up with a Nigerian there. The first request is more important than the 2nd, from my assessment of your situation.

Also, here's a link mentioning a Nigerian student who has apparently graduated last year.. http://www.uml.edu/News/press-releases/2014/Mediationwinner022014.aspx *Edit: Look up the guy on facebook. He is there..I clicked on the profiles bearing his name and found him on first profile....through his education info. (It's not me that will post someone's (who i don't know) facebook id publicly to another someone I don't know.lol). Add him up, hope he accepts (send a message) and connect with him. I assume you're a honest person. I hope he's helpful. FYI, I got all these by simply googling the name of your school and adding Nigeria in front. And now, I have seen a most recent alumnus who is also a Nigerian on facebook. This is just an example of being smart as long as your intentions are good. NO DULLING Oga.

Get on craigslist.com and start looking for apartments/shared rooms. http://boston.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=lowell . To know the distance to school or your department, use www.maps.google.com . I don't know anyone in Boston unfortunately, but, even without knowing anyone, you can cope. Just ask questions and be smart (again, not in a bad way of course). Be very careful here (don't part with your money easily) and I strongly advise you seek someone's opinion over there before paying for a place.

I read something about your funding situation on the previous page. It can be risky if you come here without a clear cut plan of how you intend paying your tuition and ordinarily, I would strongly advise you against it. However, when you get here, don't be shy...again, ask questions. Talk to your department chair, department secretary, academic advisor, international advisor, fellow grad students e.t.c. on what funding / graduate assistantship opportunities are available for international students in your school )college) and campus wide. Saw a resource here which I hope you have looked through http://www.uml.edu/Grad/assistantships.aspx

Journey mercies.

Lastly, PRAY for God's guidance and favors upon you. He works in mysterious ways.

First, without mincing words, you are a blessing to me, I am in Lowell right now and though yet to proceed to registration but i have my temporary accommodation (expensive oooo) but please can I have your direct contact (BBM or Whatsapp) so i can reach you just in case I need an instant advise (like choice of phone and choice of apartment when i find one).
I am yet to reach the other guy, sent him an email and a FB message.

Thanks bro
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ase65(f): 11:01pm On Mar 10, 2015
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 11, 2015
thanks to y'all that have been contributing helpful information here. please I'm applying for an admission into EL CAMINO COMMUNITY COLLEGE in California, computer science is the course that I want to study (two years program) my question is this, what are my chances synthesis embassy since its a two years program?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by worry359(m): 7:56am On Mar 12, 2015
Not community college AGAIN!
Read back for answers and opinions.
It's been answered too many times to bother again! angry angry angry
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bbdd: 12:14pm On Jun 07, 2015
I think this thread will be relevant for incoming students for fall 2015

slimmy05 zeezahbee imperiouxx mystiqueme stewee
Sirs and ma please drop your survival tips here for others to benefit
Thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Stewee(m): 8:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
bbdd:
I think this thread will be relevant for incoming students for fall 2015

slimmy05 zeezahbee imperiouxx mystiqueme stewee
Sirs and ma please drop your survival tips here for others to benefit
Thanks

My No1 survival tip...
Make Quality friends...and fast!
They don't have to be rich, they don't have to be Nigerians and they don't have to be in your church.
People who understands the struggle and have gone through similar circumstances.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by happney65: 2:21am On Jun 08, 2015
Stewee:

My No1 survival tip...
Make Quality friends...and fast!
They don't have to be rich, they don't have to be Nigerians and they don't have to be in your church.
People who understands the struggle and have gone through similar circumstances.

Wa sere Broda..Your head is valid..Oya People in the House that came into Yankee newly..Come and drop your Experiences for those of us coming behind
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by elebua: 7:53am On Jun 09, 2015
armyofone:
without good gpa, no oyinbo scholarship or grant for you. if i were to tell someone fresh from obodo something special, it would be focus on getting good gpa and forget working for now at least for the first and second semester or more.
it is hard combining working and getting that ''good gpa''. so focus on school. the good gpa will give you upper hand with internship too.

Is this applicable to someone going for master's degree programmes too? I need a bit of your detailed explanation.Thanks in advance.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by treyfly(m): 2:04pm On Jun 12, 2015
hi everyone...please i need an answer very urgent...what university in Texas can i pay 400 thousand naria for tuition in a year...thank you
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Theflint1(m): 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2015
treyfly:
hi everyone...please i need an answer very urgent...what university in Texas can i pay 400 thousand naria for tuition in a year...thank you
none in the USA. Even the cheapest of the cheap schools have tuition no less than $6,000 dollars yearly. Why don't u try searching for cheap schools that offer scholarships for international students. With a decent scholarship in a cheap
school u might not spend up to 400 thousand naira.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 2:53pm On Jun 22, 2015
Please i would like to know the deadline for registration for Fall 2015... I'm currently processing Graduate School in Texas, I am yet to send the Certification of Finance form. Without this form, i can't get to start processing visa.
Also i wish to know if after offered admission, i can process my admission of Fall 2015 to next session, perhaps Spring 2015/2016... I really can't remember the English used to describe such process... Thanks in advance.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 22, 2015
MrMann1:
Please i would like to know the deadline for registration for Fall 2015... I'm currently processing Graduate School in Texas, I am yet to send the Certification of Finance form. Without this form, i can't get to start processing visa.
Also i wish to know if after offered admission, i can process my admission of Fall 2015 to next session, perhaps Spring 2015/2016... I really can't remember the English used to describe such process... Thanks in advance.
deadlines for schools giving out admissions is normally August or September depends on the school(find this information on your desired school's website ).If after being offered admission you can ask your school to defer you to spring or fall 2015,you need to submit another updated financial document then for the school to issue you another i20.I hope I answered your questions??.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 4:11pm On Jun 22, 2015
stevecrun:
deadlines for schools giving out admissions is normally August or September depends on the school(find this information on your desired school's website ).If after being offered admission you can ask your school to defer you to spring or fall 2015,you need to submit another updated financial document then for the school to issue you another i20.I hope I answered your questions??.

Yes, you answered it well, The process of deferring to another session doesn't look too good to me, I am considering the deferment due to the fact that deadline is around the corner... Please how soon do one get the visa after submission of i-20??
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
MrMann1:

Yes, you answered it well, The process of deferring to another session doesn't look too good to me, I am considering the deferment due to the fact that deadline is around the corner... Please how soon do one get the visa after submission of i-20??
after receiving your i20 you have to fill your ds 160,pay visa and sevis fee..You seem to be a new guy.Kindly visit the USA students thread and get to learn more.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2015
stevecrun:
after receiving your i20 you have to fill your ds 160,pay visa and sevis fee..You seem to be a new guy.Kindly visit the USA students thread and get to learn more.

Thanks alot...

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Moana(f): 7:11pm On Jun 22, 2015
uberino:
Thanks, i am curious to know how you feed with 40bucks for 2weeks though.
using coupons could help u spend less
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by seedord247(m): 8:14pm On Jun 22, 2015
Moana:
using coupons could help u spend less

how do you guys do it? 40$ a week?...
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Moana(f): 8:28pm On Jun 22, 2015
seedord247:

how do you guys do it? 40$ a week?...
well im somewhere in Africa so its very much easy grin I have a cousin in the states who uses coupons when buying groceries and sometimes she uses less than $120 per month on groceries
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jun 22, 2015
Moana:
well im somewhere in Africa so its very much easy grin I have a cousin in the states who uses coupons when buying groceries and sometimes she uses less than $120 per month on groceries
alone or with her family?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by seedord247(m): 8:40pm On Jun 22, 2015
Moana:

lol I still doubt it.

During this fast period i still find it hard to spend that low more less of without fasting.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
seedord247:

lol I still doubt it.

During this fast period i still find it hard to spend that low more less of without fasting.

I spend lesser or around that $120 for grocery shopping and will last me well for like 3-4 weeks. I really don't eat that much anymore tho, so it's possible.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 10:57am On Jun 30, 2015
I have a challenge with my admission. I applied for a graduate program, in the course of the application process, my transcript had to undergo evaluation, now the evaluation report said I am not eligible for a graduate program, that my HND academic transcript is equivalent to a 3 years undergraduate study with transfer credit. Now the institution are not offering me admission, and I am trying to tell them to fix me into the 4th year undergraduate program so as to be eligible for the graduate program... Please is this possible, cos the report of on the transcript evaluation have a clause that relates to such. Please advise me on what to do. I have put much efforts into the admission process.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by durobraham(f): 2:45pm On Jul 02, 2015
thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by samlearnmate: 2:47pm On Jul 05, 2015
MrMann1:
I have a challenge with my admission. I applied for a graduate program, in the course of the application process, my transcript had to undergo evaluation, now the evaluation report said I am not eligible for a graduate program, that my HND academic transcript is equivalent to a 3 years undergraduate study with transfer credit. Now the institution are not offering me admission, and I am trying to tell them to fix me into the 4th year undergraduate program so as to be eligible for the graduate program... Please is this possible, cos the report of on the transcript evaluation have a clause that relates to such. Please advise me on what to do. I have put much efforts into the admission process.

Bro, I'd advice you send an email to the person in charge of admissions and also maybe the person in charge of the course you want to go for. They usually have the power to throw their weight behind an applicant once the applicant is able to prove intelligent in their conversations. Striking up a conversation with them could do a lot in helping your cause....its not something impossible.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by tradenet: 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
Hello
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 11:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
samlearnmate:

Bro, I'd advice you send an email to the person in charge of admissions and also maybe the person in charge of the course you want to go for. They usually have the power to throw their weight behind an applicant once the applicant is able to prove intelligent in their conversations. Striking up a conversation with them could do a lot in helping your cause....its not something impossible.
Thanks for the info... I've actually sent the admission officer an email earlier, I'm still waiting on his response though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.