Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140069 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by efizzy22: 5:37am On Jul 06, 2015
Plz house, for those in the U.S.A already on F1. Should I buy a round trip ticket or one way. Hope the officers at the POE wouldn't think I don't wanna come bk again if I buy one way. If I buy round trip anyway, how will I sell the return ticket cuz nt planing on coming back till after my program

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 06, 2015
efizzy22:
Plz house, for those in the U.S.A already on F1. Should I buy a round trip ticket or one way. Hope the officers at the POE wouldn't think I don't wanna come bk again if I buy one way. If I buy round trip anyway, how will I sell the return ticket cuz nt planing on coming back till after my program

It doesn't matter. You're a student, you can book one-way. Round trip is just compulsory or necessary for people going on a visit.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kunlebal(m): 7:05am On Jul 07, 2015
efizzy22:
As an F1 student buy one way, because you dont know when you are going back to naija. For your information, POE officers will not ask you for your return ticket. Dont waste your money, bills plenty way you go pay when you reach Yankee.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by durobraham(f): 9:34am On Jul 07, 2015
kunlebal:

As an F1 student buy one way, because you dont know when you are going back to naija. For your information, POE officers will not ask you for your return ticket. Dont waste your money, bills plenty way you go pay when you reach Yankee.

please what things will the POE officers ask?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 07, 2015
durobraham:

your passport, I-20, sometimes Sevis fee receipt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kunlebal(m): 4:16pm On Jul 07, 2015
durobraham:

It depends, passport, I-20 and sevis fee for sure. They might ask you few questions like why are you here, Do you have up to $10k cash with you and who is sponsoring you. But nothing to worry about, just calm down and answer anything they ask you.

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by shynepapin: 1:17am On Jul 08, 2015
durobraham:

You should be ready for anything as long as you've a visa, which means some of the questions VO asks can pop up. Been a while I visited this forum, U.S life is not easy at the start but better than anywhere I know.

5 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by durobraham(f): 10:54am On Jul 08, 2015
kunlebal:

It depends, passport, I-20 and sevis fee for sure. They might ask you few questions like why are you here, Do you have up to $10k cash with you and who is sponsoring you. But nothing to worry about, just calm down and answer anything they ask you.

Thanks alot.
Are we supposed to have alot of cash with us? cos im thinking of travelling with little cash but with my visa card.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kunlebal(m): 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2015
durobraham:

Thanks alot.
Are we supposed to have alot of cash with us? cos im thinking of travelling with little cash but with my visa card.
You don't have to, just have some cash with you and save your money inside your visa card. If you read my statement, I said sometimes they might ask you. All they want to know is if you have up to $10k with you cos anything after $10k is money laundering. The funniest thing is that POE officer might not even ask you anything apart from you passport and I-20.

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by durobraham(f): 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2015
kunlebal:

You don't have to, just have some cash with you and save your money inside your visa card. If you read my statement, I said sometimes they might ask you. All they want to know is if you have up to $10k with you cos anything after $10k is money laundering. The funniest thing is that POE officer might not even ask you anything apart from you passport and I-20.

Ok. Thanks alot
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by treyfly(m): 8:06am On Jul 09, 2015
Theflint1:
none in the USA. Even the cheapest of the cheap schools have tuition no less than $6,000 dollars yearly. Why don't u try searching for cheap schools that offer scholarships for international students. With a decent scholarship in a cheap
school u might not spend up to 400 thousand naira.
University of Texas–Pan American
University
“Net tuition: $1,646 a year„ this is located in Texas i guess if you convert that amount into naria it will be lower than what i expected ....what ur say on this
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by efizzy22: 8:09am On Jul 09, 2015
Thanks guys for the whole advice. It helped me a lot. Plz to our big bosses in the U.S.A how has life been?... what advice do you have for people like us coming in less than 2 weeks. (I'm going to Columbia South carolina). Thanks

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Theflint1(m): 9:24am On Jul 09, 2015
treyfly:
University
“Net tuition: $1,646 a year„ this is located in Texas i guess if you convert that amount into naria it will be lower than what i expected ....what ur say on this
It has an out-of-state tuition of about $13,000 yearly. What you probably saw was the tuition for in-state students.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by treyfly(m): 4:54pm On Jul 09, 2015
Theflint1:
It has an out-of-state tuition of about $13,000 yearly. What you probably saw was the tuition for in-state students.
OK now i get you...the tuition doesn't reduce at all..i taught after my one year residing in the USA my tuition reduces ..and chances of getting jobs are 10%... demn!! please reply..thank u
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Theflint1(m): 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2015
treyfly:
OK now i get you...the tuition doesn't reduce at all..i taught after my one year residing in the USA my tuition reduces ..and chances of getting jobs are 10%.. demn!! please reply..thank u
No it doesn't bro.

@bolded, can't really give you something concrete on that but I believe its all down to God and personal effort. It can take within a week for A to get a job while it takes B a year or more to get the same job.

I have heard it is permissible for one to work in the US after a year of stay but I have no idea on the bureaucracies involved in getting the permission.

The gurus that have been there can give info on that.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2015
Theflint1:
No it doesn't bro.

@bolded, can't really give you something concrete on that but I believe its all down to God and personal effort. It can take within a week for A to get a job while it takes B a year or more to get the same job.

I have heard it is permissible for one to work in the US after a year of stay but I have no idea on the bureaucracies involved in getting the permission.

There is no bureaucracy behind it either, there is no such permission except you're talking of on-campus job or internship (if you have it as a core requirement for your course). The possible way to work off campus is EAD through economic harship
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Theflint1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 09, 2015
slimmy05:
There is no bureaucracy behind it either, there is no such permission except you're talking of on-campus job or internship (if you have it as a core requirement for your course). The possible way to work off campus is EAD through economic harship
Okay, thanks for the correct.
I have heard of the permission to work based on economic hardship but I've also heard that its very difficult to get permitted based on the many proofing and grillings one has to face on how he managed to come into economic hardship. Boss, on a scale of 1-10, how easy is it to get this permission?

Abeg what is EAD?

And say a person gets permitted, like how many hours do you feel in your opinion is healthy for a student to work weekly?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 09, 2015
Theflint1:
I have heard of the permission to work based on economic hardship but I've also heard that its very difficult to get permitted based on the many proofing and grillings one has to face on how he managed to come into economic hardship. Boss, on a scale of 1-10, how easy is it to get this permission?

Abeg what is EAD?

And say a person gets permitted, like how many hours do you feel in your opinion is healthy for a student to work weekly?
20 Hours a week is better. During summer you can work 40/50 hrs depending on your strength and job availability. On a scale of 10, I would say 7 depending on how you relate with your academic advisory. What you need to do now is to type EAD under economic hardship and all the info you need will appear.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by treyfly(m): 6:03pm On Jul 09, 2015
Theflint1:
No it doesn't bro.

that means USA is no go area .....maybe canada is the best....no restriction, please tell me what you know about canada in term of tuition ...thank you

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 09, 2015
treyfly:
that means USA is no go area .....maybe canada is the best....no restriction, please tell me what you know about canada in term of tuition ...thank you
go to the canadian student visa thread, you'll get all you need
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Theflint1(m): 7:24pm On Jul 09, 2015
slimmy05:
20 Hours a week is better. During summer you can work 40/50 hrs depending on your strength and job availability. On a scale of 10, I would say 7 depending on how you relate with your academic advisory. What you need to do now is to type EAD under economic hardship and all the info you need will appear.
OK. Thanks.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Theflint1(m): 7:40pm On Jul 09, 2015
treyfly:
Relatively cheaper compared to the US. Search for "cheapest schools in Canada for international students."

Really don't know much as regards Canada so do visit the Canadian thread.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by streetMic(m): 4:01am On Aug 04, 2015
Moana:
well im somewhere in Africa so its very much easy grin I have a cousin in the states who uses coupons when buying groceries and sometimes she uses less than $120 per month on groceries

120? lol. I use less than 40 for 2-4 weeks.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by streetMic(m): 4:05am On Aug 04, 2015
while waiting for full EAD, u can apply for CPT and be working with that. But then, be sure to have completed one full year in your school. Also e get some hustle wey dey low key wey u fit run without papers. Just look around ur city for regular jobs.

Theflint1:

Abeg what is EAD?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 04, 2015
streetMic:

Really? How do you do that?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Aulor(m): 3:20am On Aug 05, 2015
streetMic:

I'll also like to know how u can manage $40 for 2-4 weeks. I'm in NY for my masters.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by happney65: 12:22pm On Aug 05, 2015
slimmy05:

Got an Iranian Friend that got a job through EAD..I think..He had to go to court to prove he's Finacial incapability and stuffs sha..I think its the one Slimmy is reffering to..
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by otosa(m): 11:27pm On Aug 05, 2015
treyfly:
University
but is it possible for me to convert the visitting visa to student visa?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by exxy(m): 10:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
otosa:
but is it possible for me to convert the visitting visa to student visa?
yes
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by genxris: 3:37am On Aug 13, 2015
I
MrMann1:
I have a challenge with my admission. I applied for a graduate program, in the course of the application process, my transcript had to undergo evaluation, now the evaluation report said I am not eligible for a graduate program, that my HND academic transcript is equivalent to a 3 years undergraduate study with transfer credit. Now the institution are not offering me admission, and I am trying to tell them to fix me into the 4th year undergraduate program so as to be eligible for the graduate
program... Please is this possible, cos the report of on the transcript evaluation have a clause that relates to such. Please advise me on what to do. I have put much efforts into the admission process.
I always advice polythecnic graduates applying for masters to always send their ND together with HND transcripts for evaluation to WES so that they can qualify for direct graduate program instead of forwarding just their HND transcripts only and be considered for undergraduate program
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by MrMann1(m): 8:59am On Aug 13, 2015
genxris:
I
I always advice polythecnic graduates applying for masters to always send their ND together with HND transcripts for evaluation to WES so that they can qualify for direct graduate program instead of forwarding just their HND transcripts only and be considered for undergraduate program

I sent them both ND and HND transcripts to SDR Educational Consultants Inc. Infact the Director for International students affairs according to her radar, she felt I have been admitted, while admissions officer says I am not eligible due to the evaluation report.

I am expecting my i-20 though. Please can I go ahead with the visa appointment even though I just sent a mail requesting for deferment till Spring 2016??
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Abuchi249(m): 3:08pm On Sep 15, 2015
Mystiqme:
Welcome FInd out! So you made it? I have not been keeping up with the other thread. Did you eventually get a PhD at Indina-Bloomington?....Cool!
lool at housemate rooommate palaver. I have difficulties explaining to my naija friends, how my 3 roommates don't actually stay in the same room as me!
. Did you later change your school ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.