Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533370 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:52am On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners: @fhemmy et ifegy et al,
with reasons, which do you think is the best option when planning accommodation considering cost, ease of adaptation and safety...
1) Staying on campus
2) Staying off campus
3) Homestay plan

All those 3 cant be combined, you wanna save cost means you wanna cook at home and not expect someone to cook for you, meaning you wanna wash your cloth and not take them to dry cleaners . . . but i think as a Nigerian that could survive anywhere, you will be fine and find it cheaper by staying off campus . . . but sharing with other people might make you adapt easily and not only be used to eating Nigerian food and learn one or 2 things from other people, but at the end of the day, it is all about YOU and your willingness to adapt.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ndbaba(m): 8:16am On Oct 01, 2012
hi.
can anyone pls give me info on a postgraduate degree in canada. a friend of mine graduated with a 2.2 and he was told that he would not be admitted into a masters degree in canada and was advised by the agent to go for a PGD instead. he said the PGD would last for 9 months after which he can apply for a post graduation work permit and subsequently apply for a permanent residency. pls i jst want to know hw true this is and the schools offering good PGD degrees.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:19am On Oct 01, 2012
ndbaba: hi.
can anyone pls give me info on a postgraduate degree in canada. a friend of mine graduated with a 2.2 and he was told that he would not be admitted into a masters degree in canada and was advised by the agent to go for a PGD instead. he said the PGD would last for 9 months after which he can apply for a post graduation work permit and subsequently apply for a permanent residency. pls i jst want to know hw true this is and the schools offering good PGD degrees.

www.google.com

Association of Canadian universities and colleges
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:25am On Oct 01, 2012
Fhemmmy:

All those 3 cant be combined, you wanna save cost means you wanna cook at home and not expect someone to cook for you, meaning you wanna wash your cloth and not take them to dry cleaners . . . but i think as a Nigerian that could survive anywhere, you will be fine and find it cheaper by staying off campus . . . but sharing with other people might make you adapt easily and not only be used to eating Nigerian food and learn one or 2 things from other people, but at the end of the day, it is all about YOU and your willingness to adapt.

But how about the ease of getting off-campus accommodation, as most of the on campus accommodations comes with utilities and affordable meal plans....when the extra costs are calculated, we arrive at almost the same amount with only a slight difference.........thatz what i think
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 01, 2012
Hi guys, Fhemmy n d rest, u guys re doing a very great job on here. I've been so informed by u guys. Thanks so much. Am currently serving n I ll be tru by June nxt yr and I ll like 2 go on 2 U of S 4 Msc after my service. I had a cgpa of 4.14/5.0 frm sch as a computer scientist; can u guys enlighten me more on all d admission requirements like is GRE compulsory etc. I ll also mail u guys 2 get more info. My name is Michael n my mail is bunmiemichdgenius@hotmail.com. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 1:33pm On Oct 01, 2012
Bunmiemich: Hi guys, Fhemmy n d rest, u guys re doing a very great job on here. I've been so informed by u guys. Thanks so much. Am currently serving n I ll be tru by June nxt yr and I ll like 2 go on 2 U of S 4 Msc after my service. I had a cgpa of 4.14/5.0 frm sch as a computer scientist; can u guys enlighten me more on all d admission requirements like is GRE compulsory etc. I ll also mail u guys 2 get more info. My name is Michael n my mail is bunmiemichdgenius@hotmail.com. Thanks

Brother, u dont need GRE, neither do u need TOEFL to apply to U of S, ur grade is good enough to get you admission......
checkout the requirement on their website www.usask.ca, which includes but not limited to

Online Application
Application fee
Transcript
Statement of intent
Curriculum Vitae
Recommendations from 3 referees with atleast a professor who is familiar with your scholarly work
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 1:55pm On Oct 01, 2012
earthgreeners:

But how about the ease of getting off-campus accommodation, as most of the on campus accommodations comes with utilities and affordable meal plans....when the extra costs are calculated, we arrive at almost the same amount with only a slight difference.........thatz what i think

I think in general a lot of people seem to either do on-campus or homestay when they first arrive and then find their own place after a while.
It might be easier to get on-campus accommodation if you're just arriving for the first time (assuming you meet all the housing deadlines, etc) because you don't have to deal with the landlord hassle for off campus housing.
Some people do a homestay for a brief period when they arrive, just so they have somewhere to stay for sure, and then find another place within a month or so, as it's easier to find a place once you're physically here.
On-campus, you're pretty much stuck with whatever meal plans are available, whereas off campus you can manage your own meals, which some people find less expensive.
As well, on-campus, you can easily access student activities, associations, etc, which can help you with adapting and fitting in. Plus you can wake up and be in class in 5 mins, even in your pajamas.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 01, 2012
Thanks Earthgreener 4 ur reply, so much appreciate it. Is it compulsory dat I must av a research topic/work B4 applying as I don't really av any as of nw though am gona be working in d area of networking, does it mean dat d prof must be into my research area (Networking). Thanks n looking 4ward 2 ur reply.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 3:44am On Oct 02, 2012
earthgreeners:

Getting an off-campus residence is easy, you just have to do it at the right time, Best time to get an off campus residence is Summer, cos so many of the apartments are empty and early August is good as well, but then, that depends on where we talking about, in Toronto, no matter what, it is not that easy . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 3:46am On Oct 02, 2012
Bunmiemich: Hi guys, Fhemmy n d rest, u guys re doing a very great job on here. I've been so informed by u guys. Thanks so much. Am currently serving n I ll be tru by June nxt yr and I ll like 2 go on 2 U of S 4 Msc after my service. I had a cgpa of 4.14/5.0 frm sch as a computer scientist; can u guys enlighten me more on all d admission requirements like is GRE compulsory etc. I ll also mail u guys 2 get more info. My name is Michael n my mail is bunmiemichdgenius@hotmail.com. Thanks

Earthgreaner has said it all . . . Good luck and see you in Canada in the nearest future.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:27am On Oct 02, 2012
Bunmiemich: Thanks Earthgreener 4 ur reply, so much appreciate it. Is it compulsory dat I must av a research topic/work B4 applying as I don't really av any as of nw though am gona be working in d area of networking, does it mean dat d prof must be into my research area (Networking). Thanks n looking 4ward 2 ur reply.

U only need to contact the faculty members who has interest in Networking....you dont need to have a research topic....u wld discuss that with the faculty member when they have accepted to serve in advisory capacity.
Also check with ur department for their requirements as regards getting a supervisor
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 02, 2012
Thanks so much bro; can I get ur mail/fb id. Thanks again
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 10:46am On Oct 03, 2012
Bunmiemich: Thanks so much bro; can I get ur mail/fb id. Thanks again

@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kennybuda: 7:53pm On Oct 03, 2012
Canada hummm tax wey dey dis the country too much i nearly pay tax for going to toilet in toronto.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mazylexsy: 9:32am On Oct 06, 2012
Hello house! Been thinking MPH @ MUN for fall 2013...what do ΓΌ guys have 2say?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hydiciousb: 1:22am On Oct 07, 2012
hi guys, i must confess you guys have educated my mind...to cut the story short, i'm interested in doing my undergraduate studies in vancouver cos i have a friend who is already a citizen, bt i'm totally new to this visa issue wont mind if i can get anybody to put me tru cos to be sincere, i'm sponsoring myself...i work online and i earn decent income....ur ur views are highly welcomed!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:38am On Oct 07, 2012
kennybuda: Canada hummm tax wey dey dis the country too much i nearly pay tax for going to toilet in toronto.

That tax is what they are using to develop the nation that made people like me and you with others wanna come here, unlike our dear leaders in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by slamdunk99(m): 4:06am On Oct 07, 2012
earthgreeners:

Amounting to the same cost is not completely true. Am in my 2nd month and I stay off campus in Vancouver. Those who live on campus pay btw 950-1100CAD per month in my sch UBC and thats apart from other personal 'ijekuje' wey dem dey chop and drink everyday. but from what I am seeing I can grind thru the month with 650-700 very comfortably. Its all about you and what you are willing to give up and enjoy.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 1:55pm On Oct 10, 2012
hydiciousb: hi guys, i must confess you guys have educated my mind...to cut the story short, i'm interested in doing my undergraduate studies in vancouver cos i have a friend who is already a citizen, bt i'm totally new to this visa issue wont mind if i can get anybody to put me tru cos to be sincere, i'm sponsoring myself...i work online and i earn decent income....ur ur views are highly welcomed!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Oct 11, 2012
slamdunk99: Amounting to the same cost is not completely true. Am in my 2nd month and I stay off campus in Vancouver. Those who live on campus pay btw 950-1100CAD per month in my sch UBC and thats apart from other personal 'ijekuje' wey dem dey chop and drink everyday. but from what I am seeing I can grind thru the month with 650-700 very comfortably. Its all about you and what you are willing to give up and enjoy.

Full Gbam!!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hydiciousb: 9:51am On Oct 14, 2012
slamdunk99: Amounting to the same cost is not completely true. Am in my 2nd month and I stay off campus in Vancouver. Those who live on campus pay btw 950-1100CAD per month in my sch UBC and thats apart from other personal 'ijekuje' wey dem dey chop and drink everyday. but from what I am seeing I can grind thru the month with 650-700 very comfortably. Its all about you and what you are willing to give up and enjoy.
Hi bro, i'm planning of coming to vancouver b.c next year though i'm still searching for a school.....pls hw can i get incontact with u?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bukahands(m): 2:52pm On Oct 14, 2012
Please can a cGPA of 3.52 get me admission in usask or mun am thinking environmental engineering or mph
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2012
bukahands: Please can a cGPA of 3.52 get me admission in usask or mun am thinking environmental engineering or mph

Yeah u can secure admission, but, ensure you apply as early as possible cos admission is highly competitive, I wld suggest u also look at Memorial University of Newfounland
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by slamdunk99(m): 12:39am On Oct 15, 2012
hydiciousb:
Hi bro, i'm planning of coming to vancouver b.c next year though i'm still searching for a school.....pls hw can i get incontact with u?
Are you coming for undergrad or postgrad? first step is to search and apply and get admission........others will follow. send me your e-mail addy, i'll contact u.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hydiciousb: 12:58am On Oct 15, 2012
slamdunk99: Are you coming for undergrad or postgrad? first step is to search and apply and get admission........others will follow. send me your e-mail addy, i'll contact u.
Coming for undergraduate bro..... Idowu2020freedomfighter@gmail.com thanks for the swift response!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bukahands(m): 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
earthgreeners:

Yeah u can secure admission, but, ensure you apply as early as possible cos admission is highly competitive, I wld suggest u also look at Memorial University of Newfounland

Thanks bro, but on their site they require a cGPA of 3 out of 4 and I also had a 3.0 GPA in my 3rd year in the university my lowest will that affect me ?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bukahands(m): 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
Earthgreener please throw light on this appraisal letter how will my prof submit it after filing it for me and thank u I am considering apply for biochemistry which is what I studied cos of increasing my chances of getting in but I prefer mph what do u advice ?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 5:46pm On Oct 21, 2012
bukahands: Earthgreener please throw light on this appraisal letter how will my prof submit it after filing it for me and thank u I am considering apply for biochemistry which is what I studied cos of increasing my chances of getting in but I prefer mph what do u advice ?

bros it depends on what u want....and what do u mean by letter of appraisal?.....the one of UofM is to be filled by ur lecturers and sent to faculty of graduate studies
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bukahands(m): 11:45am On Oct 22, 2012
@earthgreener The one am talking of is the one asked by MUN to be filled by my profs but don't know if they will be able to send it themselves, which schools did u apply to ? Have u been admitted ? Cos the one I saw is in pdf format, please someone who has gone through this process should help
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by blink6(m): 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2012
brothers and sisters, am looking forward to starting my undergrad education by next year,and at canada.
av been searchin for skools, comparing them too. i've been goin thru brandon university at manitoba, but the whole thing there is confusing.
My question is; can i use g.c.e result?

Also, is Nigeria exempted from the countries that are required to submit the english language proficiency exam, at memorial university of newfoundland?

If there is any other affordable university, please i'll like to know,, as I want to apply before it late. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by raphrinco: 12:36am On Oct 25, 2012
PLEASE HOW IS FOOTBALL IN CANADA?I READ FROM FIFA WEBSITE THAT THEY HAVE 10,000FOOTBALL CLUBS SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT SOME ONE COMING TO LOOK FOR TEAM THERE?
Fhemmmy:

I am not too sure, but my stab at it would be that, Nigeria is really operating the England kinda education, while you will have to take more preparation courses in Canada . . . By the way, you could do more to finish your Masters in less than 2 years with hard work if you so desire.
[center]or[/center]
Maybe Canada is better than UK . . . tongue
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by blink6(m): 11:55am On Oct 25, 2012
I have finally chosen Brandon university. Any Nigerian at Brandon/Manitoba here?
Nevertheless, I will like to connect with anyone that is doing the travel abroad thing, cos am still confused,,, dnt know how to get me started with the registration and every other thing. Need advice and help,, as time is running out. Thanks. embarassed cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.