Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:51 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530924 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:24pm On Feb 09, 2012
mimi234:

Typically an undergraduate degree in the UK are 3 years (with the exception of Medicine and Architecture), however you can do 4 year degree where the extra year is a study abroad option or work experience this usually is your third year then you come back to complete your degree in your 4th year.

However not all universities offer the 4 years degree and not all courses have this 4 year degree as an option got to do your research however the norm in the UK is 3 years for bachelors degree.

Work experience or study abroad takes place in your second yr degree then you come back to finish your third year.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:50pm On Feb 09, 2012
^^^ So Engineering courses are all 3 Years as well?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 9:10pm On Feb 09, 2012
justwise:

Work experience or study abroad takes place in your second yr degree then you come back to finish your third year.

Nooooo it takes place in your 3rd year then you come back the following year to finish of your degree. Trust me I just graduated last year and my friend who went to France is back this year but we started the same time (for 1st and 2nd year) but she jetted off and i completed my final year. This is for the UK degrees.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 9:14pm On Feb 09, 2012
Not too sure about Engineering! but you definitely spend your first two years doing lectures, seminar etc etc and should you be on a sandwich course then in your third year you go work in a company for a year then come back the following year to complete your studies, just check out the universities websites like Imperial uni
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:28pm On Feb 09, 2012
mimi234:

Nooooo it takes place in your 3rd year then you come back the following year to finish of your degree. Trust me I just graduated last year and my friend who went to France is back this year but we started the same time (for 1st and 2nd year) but she jetted off and i completed my final year. This is for the UK degrees.

I did my work placement in my second yr and came back to finish my third yr, the same with other Nigerian students i know, maybe your school program is different
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 9:33pm On Feb 09, 2012
justwise:

I did my work placement in my second yr and came back to finish my third yr, the same with other Nigerian students i know, maybe your school program is different

You maybe right - it may depend on the program and school. If its Engineering you may be in a better position to advise the above poster.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:44pm On Feb 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

^^^ So Engineering courses are all 3 Years as well?

Its 3 years but if its more it will be started on the school website and course information.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 12:28am On Feb 10, 2012
justwise:

Its 3 years but if its more it will be started on the school website and course information.

I dont claim to know it all, but Engineering in 3 years?
That beats me . . . .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mimi234: 12:49am On Feb 10, 2012
simple search

Chemical Engineering = 4 years but you come out with MEng which means you've done an extra year of graduate studies.
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/chemicalengineering/chemengcourse

Biomedical Engineering = You can do the exact same as above or you can simply finish after 3 years and be awarded BEng rather than MEng
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/bioengineering/bioengcourses

Fhemmmy:

That beats me . . . .

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:19am On Feb 10, 2012
^^^ Thanks . . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by shakers(m): 2:10pm On Feb 10, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That beats me . . . .

LOL you don't know we are suffering in this country b4? i studied engineering from 2002-2008, thats six years for a supposedly five yrs program with no extra semester ooooh thanks to the plenty internal and external strikes lol,

My broda dont let them deceive us, nothing works in this country,

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
shakers:

LOL you don't know we are suffering in this country b4? i studied engineering from 2002-2008, thats six years for a supposedly five yrs program with no extra semester ooooh thanks to the plenty internal and external strikes lol,

You studied engineering course for 6yrs in the UK?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 5:36pm On Feb 10, 2012
shakers:

I actually meant to say it is too crumbled for an Engineering program . . . But someone already answer the question, cos most nations are 5 years and some 4 years, but 3 years nearly make my heart stop
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Taiw(m): 6:54am On Feb 11, 2012
please nlders. i want to apply 4 my msc degree in canada this year.pls can u help me out with a list of d cheapest universities and steps on how to begin my application process and the requirements needed to qualify 4 admission.and also if there are any scholarship programs 4 nigerians.bt d amission is what i need first.my email is telltboyz@yahoo.com.i'll be grateful to hear your frm u.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by FXKing2012(m): 11:32am On Feb 11, 2012
How does one become a Canadian citizen while schooling there?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by aglomar: 12:12pm On Feb 11, 2012
U sure learn some valuable things here which may not b readily available anywhere else: how to cope with stress, pressure and uncertainty.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 11, 2012
As an international student here in Canada, one is not eligible to work outside campus for the first six months. To gain eligibility, you must spend a minimum of 6 months as a FULL-TIME student and with a minimum GPA of 2.0 (during those six months) then you can apply for your OCWP (Off campus work permit). This takes about a month to process and processing time for online applications are always faster. Upon procurement of your OCWP, you can then apply for a social insurance number (takes only about 5 minutes). This number ensures that taxes are duly deducted. With this, you can find employment off campus.

Note that if for any reason your GPA drops below 2.0 after procurement of your OCWP, your working privileges would be withdrawn by the Canadian government and they might even ask you to mail your OCWP back to them until you are able to raise your GPA.

If however, you come as a landed immigrant, you dont need to wait six months. just get your SIN and find employment.
As for getting jobs, McDonalds is literally always hiring. So is Tim Hortons. Whatever job you get be it serving coffee or flipping burgers, be sure to accept if you must survive as living cost is relatively high.
If you dont get a job off campus, there are numerous job opportunities on campus. You could work in your school cafeteria, at the library. All you need do is ask questions and look out for fliers. You should be fine.

Accommodation: I would suggest that in your first year, you live in residence (on campus). Living off-campus right from the first year is not advisable because you have to give yourself time to acclimatize to the new environment of your school. Typically, general information gets to those who live on campus first before those who dont and one thing you always wanna ensure is that you are in the know all the time. It is only after first year you can confidently move out of residence if you want to and get cheap accommodation outside.
Try to make friends with people (Nigerians and other nationalities) during your first year so that you can at least find someone to co-rent an apartment then you can split your bills equally and save some money. The average cost of a 2 bedroom apartment is $700. You pay half of that if you split.

That said, try to find an apartment where all the utilities (light, electricity and internet) come in the bill. You dont wanna be paying $350 for rent and pay an extra $60 for utilities.

To call home at cheap rates, always use a calling card. NEVER try dialing an international number directly on your mobile. That is so expensive.

39 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by AZeD1(m): 1:02pm On Feb 11, 2012
naijasexy
Did you pay your tuition before applying for visa? I want to apply for a students permit

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^ You need not pay tuition before applying for visa (though agencies in Nigeria like to convince students that in order to be assured of your visa, you need to pay tuition). All you need is a letter of admission from the school and you should be fine.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Tinkybabe(f): 1:15pm On Feb 11, 2012
@Fhemmmy, well,the difference between the Nigerian system of study and British is that after high/secondary school, you have to go to college for two years for further study before jetting off to uni unlike Nigeria where students enter uni immediately after completing their secondary education .So the three yrs engineering programme here is still understandable cuz summing up the years gives five years which equates the norm in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 11, 2012
aglomar:

U sure learn some valuable things here which may not b readily available anywhere else: how to cope with stress, pressure and uncertainty.

Okay, I do not know what you mean by "uncertainty" in this context. As for stress and pressure, they are a part of daily life in Canada as you are bombarded with midterms, assignments, quizzes etc, every week. One thing that should work for everybody is doing your assignments as soon as they are given to you. Usually you should have a week to do them. Even though a week might seem like a lot, time rolls by really fast when you are busy.

If you are not able to pass in your assignment on the due date, except you present a doctor's report, be rest assured that you are scoring zero on that one.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 11, 2012
FXKing2012:

You do not become a Canadian citizen while schooling here. If you want more information on this you should visit www.cic.gc.ca
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by AZeD1(m): 1:29pm On Feb 11, 2012
niajasexy
Does the embassy use age as a factor for giving visa's?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 11, 2012
^ I'm not sure.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by adeoflagos: 1:42pm On Feb 11, 2012
jamebex:

response please!

1. Surviving on $100 in B.C. could be tough. I am not saying it is not possible. I used to live in the Canadian east coast as a "single" student and I wouldn't lie that there were times I'd probably survived on similar amount but that was over a decade ago. So it all depend on the cost of living in the city, and I believe that the cost of living in B.C. is higher. I will advise that you link the international student network through the school international student office. You may be lucky to get linked to a Nigerian student. They do have such network in some schools for prospective students.

2. The way it work in Canada for graduate studies (Masters & PhD) is that you first have to secure a professor that is willing to be your supervisor. That involves identifying a professor that has similar research interest as yours. First question for you to answer is this:"What kind of research do I want to do for my Masters degree". Go to the departmental website and check the link for faculty/people, etc, to see the research interests of the department's faculty members. That will help you to identify and select a professor. My advise is that you find 2-3 faculty members whose research interest mirrors yours. Then you have to contact them about your interest in pursuing a Master's degree and doing research as a member of their group. If any of them show interest in you and agree to be your supervisor then he will recommend you to the department, who will then recommend you to the school of graduate studies to be admitted. Under this arrangement, you will likely get full funding with stipends. You will be funded mostly by your supervisor, then the department (you may have to work for this as a teaching assistant), and the school of grad studies. However there may be paid Masters program where you may have to pay everything yourself, but these are typically not intensive research based Masters which last for a minimum of 2 yrs.

3. Not sure about this ,  do some research on this online

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by adeoflagos: 2:07pm On Feb 11, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I am not too sure, but my stab at it would be that, Nigeria is really operating the England kinda education, while you will have to take more preparation courses in Canada . . .  By the way, you could do more to finish your Masters in less than 2 years with hard work if you so desire.
[center]or[/center]
Maybe Canada is better than UK . . .  tongue

Most Masters degree in Canada last 2 years plus because they are mostly research based unlike most Masters in UK or Nigeria. In most Canadian universities, you will spend the first two semesters writing 2 or more courses (usually 2 courses except if your supervisory committee recommends more to help you gain expertise that will aid your research work). Then you will spend the remaining semesters to start and complete your research. How soon you finish depends on your progress as determined by your supervisor. Like UK there are few/some Canadian universities that offer course-based Masters that is expected to last a minimum of 1 yrs. You will sit for several courses (5-cool during the first two semesters, and spend the third semester to do a research-based project. The difference between research-based and course-based Masters degree is that you get full funding (i.e. fellowship/scholarship) for research-based Masters degree, while for course-based degree you will have to fund the program yourself.

It is an accepted fact that graduate degree (Masters and PhD) program are tougher in North America compared to many European countries. For some Masters you have to present GRE results as part of admission requirements. For all PhD degrees, you first have to pass a PhD candidacy exam before you are addressed as a PhD candidate. Once you pass this, then your completing the program depends on you and how your supervisor and supervisory committee see your progress. And some good luck too. Some research are pretty tricky lasting so many years that at some point the student may be advised to leave the program. All programs has a maximum year for students to finish. You do not have this kind of system in many European universities. PhD candidacy exam vary in terms of how it is conducted from institution to institution.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by adeoflagos: 2:25pm On Feb 11, 2012
FXKing2012:

naijasexy:

You do not become a Canadian citizen while schooling here. If you want more information on this you should visit www.cic.gc.ca

To be honest, from my personal experience it was possible to become a citizen as a student but the process in recent times might have changed. Back then (in early to mid 2000s), you were more likely to become a citizen as a student if you are on a long term study-program, like doing a Masters that is immediately followed by a PhD. It also depend on how early you start the process. You first need to be a landed resident first, and depending on how long you remain living in Canada, at some point you qualify to apply for citizenship. First thing is to be a landed resident first, the citizenship come later. Some provinces (i.e. states) also have separate immigration program that is different from the federal government. For example in the province of Newfoundland, you may become a resident through some special program after studying there. Check the website of the provincial government. But as advised by naijasexy check www.cic.gc.ca. As I indicated above, my experience were from several years ago, and the process is surely different now.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by greeze: 2:36pm On Feb 11, 2012
help pls, can somebody help me out, i wish to start my PGD programme in uk any link?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Siga: 3:17pm On Feb 11, 2012
There are options for a student to become a PR then a citizen, once you are in a program, after 6months of full study, u are entitled to a temp work permit, that would allow u to work 20hrs during school and 40 hrs during holidays, once u start doing that, u are building up ur canadian experience, once u finish ur program, u are entitled to a 3yr full work permit, once u get a job, u can apply for ur PR on Canadian Experience class, trust me, nothing will block u from getting ur PR and after 3yrs of continuous stay in Canada, u get ur Citizenship, hope this helps,

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deniyor: 4:17pm On Feb 11, 2012
@naijasexy
good info there.
Just a few points
You can work on campus anytime from the moment you arrive. It isn't dependent on your grades either but you are limited to campus.
Living on campus is usually more expensive and the food very crappy for Nigerians
I find living close to campus and sharing a much better arrangement even in your first year. In my case, it was worth the -40c weather.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deniyor: 4:25pm On Feb 11, 2012
Another point(s) to add for the PR program
For those coming as students - there are couple of ways to get your Permanent Residence (PR)

1. Get married
2. Live with a canadian gf for a yr and become common law. You can apply for your PR that way.
3. Finish school, get your post graduate work degree then
a. Work full time for one year, and apply for the "Canadian Experience PR" program. Work hours gained during school may count too
b. Work full time for six months and apply for your provincial immigration nominee program - Needs an offer of full time permanent position.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deniyor: 4:28pm On Feb 11, 2012
PS it is possible to become a PR while schooling in Canada. It is usually through canadian partners. However I know of a case where a friend of mine became a permanent resident b4 finishing school and without use of a canadian partner. Some complicated loop hole in the system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.