Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:33 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530923 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deniyor: 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2012
A-ZeD:

niajasexy
Does the embassy use age as a factor for giving visa's?

Yes and No.
It depends on merit and what your intentions are

If you are a young guy or gal, you stand a good chance.
If you are being sponsored by the government, you stand a great chance.
If you are an older person, or a guy in his late 20s and you claim to be going for your undergraduate degree - there is a good chance you will be denied.
If you do not indicate or show that in the previous couple of years you had either been working or schooling, good chance you will be denied.
If you are an older guy or gal and you are going for masters, phd etc you stand a good chance.
If you are an older guy or gal, and you are married, and not travelling with your partner, you stand a good chance as you still have ties to Nigeria.

So a 30 yr old dude going for his first undergraduate degree will be denied 9 times out of 10 unless he has some remarkable story to tell. They know you are probably going to get lost when you get there.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2012
deniyor:

PS it is possible to become a PR while schooling in Canada. It is usually through canadian partners. However I know of a case where a friend of mine became a permanent resident b4 finishing school and without use of a canadian partner. Some complicated loop hole in the system.

Oh definitely, you can become a PR while schooling in Canada but only by chance because most of the time, the government waits till you are done with your first degree (they try to siphon as much international tuition from you as possible, lol) before granting you your PR, so that if you have plans of furthering your education (eg grad school) you would do so as a Permanent Resident.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by abyte: 5:56pm On Feb 11, 2012
All the tips above are excellent!

Now let me give you the "On-Ground" Tips

1. DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD

Many of the things that seem to force you to get one you can do with a pre-paid credit card now. (Hotel, car rental on some cards even building credit)

2. AVOID THOSE NAIJA ODU EGONS

There are many "egbons" here that pretend that they are looking out for you and ask "do you want to make some quick cash"? One asked me for my account number so he could move some money inside. I didn't know what he   was going to do at the time but my father always told me there is never something for nothing. I politely said no. Later I realized it was cheque fraud! Can you imagine, new student to a foreign country and they try to get you in MASSIVE trouble!

3. If you need to call home, Cici is a good card. Readily available at gas stations and about 9cents per minute with no connection fee. There might be others. Get a prepaid call phone. BE VERY WEARY OF ANYTHING THAT IS A SIGNED CONTRACT WITH PERSONS OR COMPANIES. (This will make sense to you later when you arrive)

4. DO NOT BUY A CAR ABOVE YOUR BUDGET

There is a temptation to buy, especially if you are younger, a car, usually German, that can be very costly to own, operate, maintain and insure. (On a side note, NEVER DRIVE WITHOUT INSURANCE). They will get you!

5. This might be controversial but, DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF TO NIGERIAN FRIENDS.

You have paid a great fee to expand your horizon. Limiting yourself, as I see many do, to just the Nigerian crowd, puts an artificial ceiling to how much you are exposed to.

6. REMEMBER WHERE YOU ARE FROM

Again, might be controversial but, no matter how much you might like it there, you are a foreigner. There are still, even with its chaos, greater opportunity for you in Nigeria to make it big. Unless you are not the typical money driven Nigerian. I know I am. The thing with Canada and other 1st world countries is, its all been done. Whatever you learn, always look at it from a point of view how to use it to better your country and yourself.

There are a few more I can think of but I fear I'm sounding like a preacher now,

Enjoy your flight and no carry anything enter plane for una pant O!

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^ grin grin grin grin grin
Great advice!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by shilling(f): 6:59pm On Feb 11, 2012
Great post! abytes advice is spot on. Don't have anything to add on to what has been said already. I'm also not an intl student, so I don't know what goes on. But, good luck to everyone planning to come to Canada - it's a wonderful country.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^ Back then when people in Nigeria were able to withdraw huge sums of money at one transaction, they would change the money into American dollars and take it with them to Canada, then open a bank account (in Canada) and deposit. Now, given that the most you can withdraw at once is 150,000 naira I'd  suggest you call the school and ask them for details about transferring funds to your school account (every student has a school account in Canada). Do this while you are still in Nigeria.

Make sure you have at least $1000 dollars at hand though as the transfer transaction might take more than 5 working days to complete and you do not want to be cashless on getting to Canada.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by remarkD(m): 7:43pm On Feb 11, 2012
Guy, honestly? i know things are hard, but $100 a month might be difficult to do; but to manage that, you definately will have to make some sacrifices like eating out, drinking alcohol and some delicacy foods,
make sure though you shop in the big chain grocery stores like Superstore - definately the cheapest grocery store; and if you know things you will be eating regularly, like cereals (corn flakes, cheerios, rice krispies etc) then even buying in bulk will be cheaper, Cosco is the only bulk store i can think of.
Coming to think of it, cornflakes is one thing you can eat 3 times a day, so its not a bad idea, maybe adding some peanuts or apples will make it more filling.
besides cornflakes, noodles! like the indomie sachets wont be a bad idea. another thing you can eat anytime, mostly lunch and dinner. also able to buy in bulk.
as someone said, never shop for food in a convenient store. milk, juice, pepper and other ingredients, very expensive.
depending on what other stuffs you like to eat, or dont like, you will have to be very economical on a hundred bucks a month.
Depending on your pride and ego, there are free foods during some events on campus, don't miss those lol.
some Churches also have snacks/meals for free after service. (Not Redeemed - that i know of anyways); but some churches have refreshments every Sunday.
one last warning: if a friend invites you to his or her birthday at a restaurant, my guy, whatever you eat/drink is on YOU! Be warned! lol.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chreldb(m): 9:06pm On Feb 11, 2012
@ abyte

If you really think you are sounding like a preacher then all I have to say to you is "PREACH PREACHER!!" Your tips are splendid and does not only apply in Canada. So please go ahead by all means give some more tips. Kudos to everyone else that gave some tips. This thread makes sense

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Rare(m): 10:02pm On Feb 11, 2012
abyte:

All the tips above are excellent!

Now let me give you the "On-Ground" Tips

6. REMEMBER WHERE YOU ARE FROM

Again, might be controversial but, no matter how much you might like it there, you are a foreigner. There are still, even with its chaos, greater opportunity for you in Nigeria to make it big. Unless you are not the typical money driven Nigerian. I know I am. The thing with Canada and other 1st world countries is, its all been done. Whatever you learn, always look at it from a point of view how to use it to better your country and yourself.

There are a few more I can think of but I fear I'm sounding like a preacher now,

Enjoy your flight and no carry anything enter plane for una pant O!

I like this last piece of advice.

Yes; I always encourage people to immigrate through study or other means for all its benefits such as: good education, learning different world views, prospect of getting dual citizenship (for you & future family) & sometimes achieving some heights you may never have thought possible as a young person in Nigeria.

BUT, I always shiver when I see young people who's sole motive of leaving Nigeria is simply about making money. Recipe with high probability for disaster !

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emakgaga: 6:22am On Feb 12, 2012
\
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ypzilanti: 8:29am On Feb 12, 2012
Does anyone have information about University of Guelph Phd?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by member479760: 9:13am On Feb 12, 2012
on kulikuli and gari.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:33am On Feb 12, 2012
ypzilanti:

Does anyone have information about University of Guelph Phd?

dogice:

^^^^ university of newfoundland would be a good choice to study that though fishing is not that common in the province nowadays since they found oil
oc2fish:

@Rare . Thanks If i may ask I really need admission to study Fisheries (PhD) in Newfoundland or St John please advice me

These questions should be asked here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-823858.0.html

This thread is strictly for tips on how to survive in Canada. Please lets not derail it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 12, 2012
emakgaga:

Whatever you do guys avoid homestay. The host families look forward to making money off you so they will try to save as much as they can even though it means starving you with sandwiches all day.
This is my story:
       We met these seniors(old people) and they appear to be nice to us when they found out we were international students (me and my room mate) from Nigeria. They started telling us how much they love God and how they pray for Nigeria and all.
They convinced us to stay with them, so we did. They first night they fed us apple soup with boiled potatoes( brethen!).

I looked at my room mate trying to signal him that we signed up for an orphanage but the lady quickly suspected and asked how the food was tasting. I gladly answered terrific (real meaning : terrifying: scary, etc). That night while they went upstairs to sleep i and my room mate ran out to a 247 pizza joint and ordered extra large pizza (2 of them to espcape the hunger).

Since then we never ate with them, we rather ask them to buy what we wanted. So they woman obviously noticed we don't like her food so thats when the problem started. i mean she intended to give us sandwiches, salad, potatoes and apple soup (she boils apples and extracts the water: lord have mercy). At one point we recommended they naija food so we can cook it ourselves( we only did this once a month cuz of the expense). But they already didn't like us cuz they know we don't like their food. Apart from all these the lady said cuz you are in Canada now, you have to be Canadian and eat Canadian food as well.

She recommended we wake up early in the morning and have breakfast with them and also come back at lunch and dinner to have lunch. we leave for school in the morning and come back at night it was tough to include it in our schedule and we were just 1 year in the country(2006) and ofcourse this was tough for us.

After one month, we told them we will be moving out and all hell broke loose. They started monitoring us everywhere we go in the house. i mean kitchen , bathroom, your room. They even stoppped giving us a ride to church and stopped talking to us.
So we left after month. Got a cheap apartment and cooked our own food from there on.

My advice is rent a room close to campus, share a house with other students and quickly learn how to make your own food atleast rice and stew which is basic.
_
You ungrateful little arse. You found people that took you in, seniors at that, and you were busy nit-picking. So what if you were served apple soup (which in my opinion is the greatest soup ever)? People can be so ungrateful.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 12, 2012
emakgaga:

Whatever you do guys avoid homestay. The host families look forward to making money off you so they will try to save as much as they can even though it means starving you with sandwiches all day.
This is my story:
We met these seniors(old people) and they appear to be nice to us when they found out we were international students (me and my room mate) from Nigeria. They started telling us how much they love God and how they pray for Nigeria and all.
They convinced us to stay with them, so we did. They first night they fed us apple soup with boiled potatoes( brethen!).

I looked at my room mate trying to signal him that we signed up for an orphanage but the lady quickly suspected and asked how the food was tasting. I gladly answered terrific (real meaning : terrifying: scary, etc). That night while they went upstairs to sleep i and my room mate ran out to a 247 pizza joint and ordered extra large pizza (2 of them to espcape the hunger).

Since then we never ate with them, we rather ask them to buy what we wanted. So they woman obviously noticed we don't like her food so thats when the problem started. i mean she intended to give us sandwiches, salad, potatoes and apple soup (she boils apples and extracts the water: lord have mercy). At one point we recommended they naija food so we can cook it ourselves( we only did this once a month cuz of the expense). But they already didn't like us cuz they know we don't like their food. Apart from all these the lady said cuz you are in Canada now, you have to be Canadian and eat Canadian food as well.

She recommended we wake up early in the morning and have breakfast with them and also come back at lunch and dinner to have lunch. we leave for school in the morning and come back at night it was tough to include it in our schedule and we were just 1 year in the country(2006) and ofcourse this was tough for us.

After one month, we told them we will be moving out and all hell broke loose. They started monitoring us everywhere we go in the house. i mean kitchen , bathroom, your room. They even stoppped giving us a ride to church and stopped talking to us.
So we left after month. Got a cheap apartment and cooked our own food from there on.

My advice is rent a room close to campus, share a house with other students and quickly learn how to make your own food atleast rice and stew which is basic.

you and your friend where not very nice. Its not like the woman was feeding you something different to what she was eating.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Anvaller: 3:37pm On Feb 12, 2012
Forget it,
the home stay thing is not advisable. This program is designed for very young people who are starting their first year as undergraduates (in canada, 18/17 yrs on average). How would mature individuals who are probably going for graduate studies be thinking of HOMESTAY? Abeg ppl!!!

And even if u think u wanna save money by adopting it as a strategy, for ur information, it is one of the most expensive of all options u can have as a student. Remember, as old as u are, u have to agree with them to keep to the rules in their house which is mostly
- do not stay out late
- You can not have more than x number of ppl visiting u at a time
- No house party
- No visitor of yours can sleep over the night in the house (including ur girl/boyfriend)

So ppl, think about it, as far as I am concerned, it is not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 3:41pm On Feb 12, 2012
So wats de best option for new grad students coming to canada 4 de first tym?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by afroxyz: 11:13pm On Feb 12, 2012
Plese do any grad schools admit in feb? And also how long does the validity of GRE last?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Anvaller: 12:24am On Feb 13, 2012
Paschal137:

So wats de best option for new grad students coming to canada 4 de first tym?

Well, depending on the setting of the campus. It is mostly cheaper to jointly rent a flat with other students and share the rent but that is understandably difficult for new students who has no connection yet to find room mates. So the reasonable option is to rely on campus residence for the 1st year and move off-campus in the subsequent academic years. In most universities, there is usually guaranteed bed space for 1st year students so be careful that you apply for rez accommodation earlier because some schools gives condition that there is no guaranteed accommodation for applications after the deadline even if u are 1st year student.

So check closely with ur school in case u r in the process of applying

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Anvaller: 12:34am On Feb 13, 2012
afroxyz:

Plese do any grad schools admit in feb? And also how long does the validity of GRE last?

But why Feb? admission is traditionally in September (Fall) or in few cases, January (Winter). February is just very awkward. But if u are looking into doing Phd, it might be possible to be admitted anytime (not sure about that) Be aware that most deadline for application to Canada is closing up by this time of the year, so if u are dreaming about applying to study in Canada this year, U are running out of time!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by silentc(m): 9:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
SimonAndal:

_
You ungrateful little arse. You found people that took you in, seniors at that, and you were busy nit-picking. So what if you were served apple soup (which in my opinion is the greatest soup ever)? People can be so ungrateful.

davidylan:

you and your friend where not very nice. Its not like the woman was feeding you something different to what she was eating.

Guys, I dont think it was free. You do pay these people you know (and it normally includes feeding). It might be "cheaper" but the hosts generally get money for your stay in their home and hence they try to cut costs by serving food as cheaply as possible.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by agiboma(f): 6:36am On Feb 14, 2012
about calling home cheaply if your family has internet in Nigeria you can use Skype or use calling cards "SIFA" calling card gives good minutes

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 14, 2012
Please can someone tell me how much it will take me to study psychology in a Canadian university. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 12:53pm On Feb 14, 2012
afroxyz:

5 years to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:54pm On Feb 14, 2012
agiboma:

about calling home cheaply if your family has internet in Nigeria you can use Skype or use calling cards "SIFA" calling card gives good minutes

Or they could all be on Apple product and even do a face to face chat . . . . (Video Chat)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by newacca: 6:26pm On Feb 15, 2012
deniyor:

Yes and No.
It depends on merit and what your intentions are

If you are a young guy or gal, you stand a good chance.
If you are being sponsored by the government, you stand a great chance.
If you are an older person, or a guy in his late 20s and you claim to be going for your undergraduate degree - there is a good chance you will be denied.
If you do not indicate or show that in the previous couple of years you had either been working or schooling, good chance you will be denied.
If you are an older guy or gal and you are going for masters, phd etc you stand a good chance.
If you are an older guy or gal, and you are married, and not travelling with your partner, you stand a good chance as you still have ties to Nigeria.

So a 30 yr old dude going for his first undergraduate degree will be denied 9 times out of 10 unless he has some remarkable story to tell. They know you are probably going to get lost when you get there.

If you are in your late 20s and you can prove urself that knowledge and education has no age restrictions( Even the oyinbos know and support this fact),you stand a good chance. I bet it. cos it works!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by moty4all: 10:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
I am a University Student in my Final Yr studying Computer Science in(Covenant Univ) ,  I want to apply for a College Diploma in Web Design In Canada When I Graduate By June instead of going for Master Degree.

Do you think the Canadian Embassy will see this as something Good

@justwise plz answer my question if u can and dont refer me to a link that is not helpful

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Lanquart: 12:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
I advise you wait till you finish your degree course because it will be more easier for you to get visa with your First degree than an ordinary diploma.
But before then,you have to search for a school that will offer you admission for your masters program.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by LasBonBoi: 3:14pm On Feb 17, 2012
newacca:

If you are in your late 20s and you can prove urself that knowledge and education has no age restrictions( Even the oyinbos know and support this fact),you stand a good chance. I bet it. cos it works!

Newacca,

I know the oyinbos support this view, also note that Canada is very selective when it comes to inflow. In a situation where applications are too much to treat, funny screening factor comes in and I think it could be impossible to get a chance to prove your intention because you may not even be invited for interview to get denied. They have a target too and the most time saving effort for a faulted application is denial.

Besides, at late 20's the lowest expectation for a progressive person is to have been out of secondary school for like 5 years. You better have a strong explanation for the education gap.

LasBonBoi.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by newacca: 8:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
LasBonBoi:

Newacca,

I know the oyinbos support this view, also note that Canada is very selective when it comes to inflow. In a situation where applications are too much to treat, funny screening factor comes in and I think it could be impossible to get a chance to prove your intention because you may not even be invited for interview to get denied. They have a target too and the most time saving effort for a faulted application is denial.

Besides, at late 20's the lowest expectation for a progressive person is to have been out of secondary school for like 5 years. You better have a strong explanation for the education gap.

LasBonBoi.

lasbonboi,
u've said it all. Explaining the educational gap will go a long way. I left academic environment in since 2003 and my result came out in 2004. I worked for my Pop as IT student for a year and as marketing manager for 1.5yr before I started my Biz. and I applied 4 study visa in April,2011 for ACCA and I got called for interview and also got medical call.
I'm in my late 20s
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by LasBonBoi: 9:21pm On Feb 18, 2012
newacca:

lasbonboi,
u've said it all. Explaining the educational gap will go a long way. I left academic environment in since 2003 and my result came out in 2004. I worked for my Pop as IT student for a year and as marketing manager for 1.5yr before I started my Biz. and I applied 4 study visa in April,2011 for ACCA and I got called for interview and also got medical call.
I'm in my late 20s

Newacca,

Do not forget we are talking about secondary school leaver going for undergraduate, are you saying you left secondary school 9 years ago with no further education and u now have undergrad admission to study , oh! It's ACCA! That's not an undergrad degree program it's a qualification.
Canadian schools are less likely to give degree awarding admission when they notice such a huge educational gap, explained or unexplained. I will consider anyone lucky that get such admission.

LasBonBoi.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by newacca: 9:45pm On Feb 19, 2012
@lasbonBoi,
applying for undergrad is not open to secondary schl leavers alone,remember. ND,HND etc may get u admission into uni. The poster does not specify that he's apply with secondary school leaver's cert. Even if he is applying with secondary schl cert,if he/she has can give account of what he has been doing since he/she left secondary school especially if he has genuine dox to prove it and if it is an interesting exercise. Maybe studying non formally or into a kinda biz/enterprises or skills acquisition. He/she is good to go I bet it. Knowledge and education has no boundary and age limit. Man must live to learn from cradle to grave.Irrespective of educational gap or not. U can dust ur books and get back to learn anytime especially if u r a man. Nothing can stop  u,unless u stop urself. That's why we need documented proof for anything that occupies our time when we her outta study environ. #GBAM#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.