Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,066 members, 7,849,315 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:27 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (536294 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hopeefe(f): 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2021

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Chocs(f): 7:35pm On Jan 06, 2021
Hopeefe

HRM is not related to biochemistry. It can only work out if you can give a convincing reason why you’re switching to HRM. Maybe you currently work in that line, taken several courses in HRM, starting your own business etc. The reason should be able to convince the officer.

Are you employed? What’s your current job description?

Cheers
hopeefe:
Pls I have an intention to go to Canada for studies, and I need schools around British Columbia, but presently I can't find a marketable course that fit my Bsc in Biochemistry, I want to go in for a PGD because I graduated with a 3rd class.

What about pgd Human resources management, will I be denied visa

Is Post graduate Certificate same with PGD?
Pls I need ur advice on courses and school to choose
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by englois: 11:57pm On Jan 06, 2021
Anyone up for an urgent Canada medical appointment SWAPPING. Help me please. I need an appointment for early January.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hopeefe(f): 12:25pm On Jan 07, 2021
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hopeefe(f): 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2021
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Chocs(f): 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2021
hopeefe

I’ve done a quick search and could not find any.
hopeefe:
I have bsc Biochemistry, pls which school those PGD in that course or related courses. Pls help, its urgent
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Chocs(f): 3:51am On Jan 11, 2021
Hi hopeefe,

If the average GPA of your last 2 years in Uni is up to 3.25 (65%) you can check out PGD in food science at the Uni Saskatchewan.

Cheers

hopeefe:
Chocs, Pls advice on PGD courses in Biochemistry and school that i can apply. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Marvel4u: 6:32am On Jan 11, 2021
Please, what's the possibility of getting a full funded admission for PhD, and which schools are favourable
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Chocs(f): 3:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
Marvel4u

Most PhDs in Canada are funded. First step is to decide on the course you want to do, then visit websites of several schools to see what funding is available.

Cheers
Marvel4u:
Please, what's the possibility of getting a full funded admission for PhD, and which schools are favourable
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by adelkaosi: 9:22am On Jan 13, 2021
Please, how can I calculate this?

Chocs:
Hi hopeefe,

If the average GPA of your last 2 years in Uni is up to 3.25 (65%) you can check out PGD in food science at the Uni Saskatchewan.

Cheers

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by adelkaosi: 9:35am On Jan 13, 2021
Just saw the answer from a previous post from dogice

dogice:

Hello,

Most post secondary institution in Canada go with a scale of 4.00 (I know UToronto is outta 4) but technically speaking, you can convert to any scale you like. In this case, your overall CGPA will be [(4.49/5) x 4] = 3.59.

In order to calculate your last 2 years, it depends on the number of credit you took in each of these years. So assuming you took equal amount of credit courses for those 2 years (say 60 credit courses each), you can just scale down to a scale of 4 using the weighted average.

i.e. [(0.5 x 4.75) + (0.5 x 4.58)] = 4.665
then [(4.665/5) x 4] = 3.73

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Edicoco(f): 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2021
Please i am planning to Apply for a PhD Chemical Engineering in Canada but my Masters grade is 60 % merit grade. What 60 % in the canadian cgpa system? What are my Options?

Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Richy1992: 12:17am On Jan 16, 2021
Good evening nairalanders I'm actually very new in this forum and I have some important questions to as and would really appreciate if some could help me out in confronting it frontally..I'm really planning on studying in Canada for my masters. I'm a graduate of economics from one of the federal universities in Nigeria and I will to know the list of very affordable schools one could apply for in Canada and possibly their amount and how to gi about starting the process..your advice and counseling will be highly invaluable and well appreciated tnx
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by blueskies(f): 10:16am On Jan 16, 2021
Pls i need advice on this. I want to run a 1year topup program to increase my grade and boost my chances because i had a 3rd class degree. I've been thinking of applying to schools in Canada to do it and then do my masters. I want to do a course in nutrition and dietitics and Masters in public health.

Pls is this plan feasible in Canada?
Wat cost friendly schools can i apply to for this programs, funds and the duration?

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by HenrySpecial: 1:20pm On Jan 16, 2021
Chocs:
Hello,

Your question is not clear. Are you looking for courses in your field? What do you want info about?

Best wishes

Good day.

I studied Civil Engineering in a University over here in Nigeria, and I was able to maintain a good grade. I wish to further my course in structural Engineering over there in Canada, I intend to go for MEng (non thesis course) with the hope of finishing it in one year (how possible is this, Pls?). I have fundings for only two terms plus my flight fares and living expenses with the hope of working to pay my 3rd term fees or getting a student to loan for it, will it be possible to work and study for a non thesis course?

Please, how easy is it to get a civil engineering job in Ottawa? Based on Engineering practice in my country, I can use 6 structural engineering softwares by God's Grace coupled with 2 years of experience in the field, Will that give me an edge ?

If it's not really possible, what University and province would you recommend for someone like me.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by FrostyButter: 9:18pm On Feb 20, 2021
Futurewiser:

Regina tuition is very high 16,000 dollar per year excluding living expenses and accommodation ooh. lets say u get a job that pays 10 dollar per hour. you are allowed to work only 20 hourse per week meaning 80 hour per month/4 weeks so you earn 800 dollars per month then times a year is 9,600 which cannot even pay the tuition fee of 16,000 per year. Out of the 800 you earn per month, remove like 400 for accommodation you will have 400 left. remove feeding and transport and books and call cards and other expenses that may arise monthly and u have 00.00
I will advise you look for other affordable tuition especially now that dollar is so high in black market to avoid unforseen circumstances.

Hello... I know its been a while since this post was made. I plan on applying to U of R, and on the website for the semester I'm applying, I'm seeing about 24k CAD for tuition plus living expense. I also used their tuition calculator. Are they posting authentic or close to authentic figures?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Luckybelt: 2:25am On Mar 06, 2021
It's always good not to allow negative aspects of people s story discourage you. Just take the step, over the years you will be happy you did

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Mikos: 12:31pm On Mar 10, 2021
I want to apply for Masters In Actuarial Science . Please is anybody studying In University of Waterloo, University of Calgary or Simon Fraser University. Please I need Info and guide on how to start the application.

Thank You
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Idaytesj29(m): 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2021
MayAmy:
Hi guys, I applied to MUN for Masters in Employment Relations (winter 2021). Please is there anyone else who applied for same?

i am about submitting for same course but for winter 2022, i just finished my SOI and uploaded my transcript today from my system. the only ones i need to wrap up is the Referee reports and letter to proof English as medium of learning.

so, are in MUN now?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Chinnychappy: 11:45am On Apr 06, 2021
tensazangetsu:

Then try schools in the USA. If you dont mind coming back to nigeria, you could also try European universities and apply to the erasmus mundus program. Make sure you go to the best schools o. No matter what anyone tells you, the ranking of the school you go to now really matters.
hi.. Please do you know if Bsc obtained after nysc is acceptable in Canadian universities? (Went to a poly and served afterwards before going to obtain Bsc from a private accredited uni).

Or do I go the PGD/PGC route

@justwise @justmellow
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 06, 2021
Chinnychappy:
hi.. Please do you know if Bsc obtained after nysc is acceptable in Canadian universities? (Went to a poly and served afterwards before going to obtain Bsc from a private accredited uni).

@justwise @justmellow
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by JustMellow: 12:23pm On Apr 25, 2021
Chinnychappy:

@justwise @justmellow

Hello Chinnychappy,

Yes, it is acceptable. You should go for a Master (or PGD) related to your previous study or experience.

Best of Luck
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tope777(m): 4:33pm On Apr 25, 2021
Does Canada Universities accept NECO result??

Asking for a brother.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by okpanachil: 4:37pm On Apr 25, 2021
tba11:
Hello,
Please can someone help me. I want to buy my plane ticket because am meant to be in Canada be4 MAY 4 for Fanshawe College (which is a one year program).

Pls wanted to ask if I buy a one way tickets will it be an issue when I get to Canada or to be on a safe side I should buy two way tickets instead.
Hi TBA11,I just saw this post you made last year and wanted to make some inquiries,are you still in Canada,what course are you studying in Fanshawe ?I am trying to seek admission in Finance related courses over there and I need a guide,hence my questions.
I will be glad if I can hear from you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Beth125: 8:24pm On Apr 25, 2021
I just got admission in university Canada west for mba program, is the school a good one ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 9:06pm On Apr 26, 2021
hopeefe:
Chocs, Pls advice on PGD courses in Biochemistry and school that i can apply. Thanks.

Look into biotechnology or medical laboratory tech
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Lionfx: 8:27am On May 04, 2021
NairaLuck:
Hello everyone who lives in Brantford Ontario, I am coming to CONESTOGA College

Currently applying for my sister for Fall... are you able to get scholarship?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by MummyD2020(f): 2:14pm On May 18, 2021
Hello all, please can i apply for registered practical nursing program in canada with my Msc in HRM? I heard one has to have o level science subjects and i was not a science student in my sec sch. Thanks guys
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ubongty(m): 9:50pm On Jun 07, 2021
Please do you know if Manitoba pay their fees in semesters and can I get MSc with 3.23/5 CGPA in my last 2 years in Manitoba?
Naijaforeigner:

Sorry for my late response, I did not get your mention and this thread is not on the first page of the travel section.

The honest truth is the chances are very slim. As a student, you are only allowed to work for 20 hours and that can only take care of your feeding and accommodation. Getting a job to pay your tuition means you will work more than 20 hours, which might, depending on the situation, affect you getting a PR or PGWP when you are done with your studies.

These are the options I think you have;

However, I know some people who work more than 20 hours by doing cash jobs (so this does not reflect on their SIN number). Although, the chances of getting cash jobs depends on your city. I must be honest, only major cities in Canada (such as Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Alberta and so forth) have or offer steady cash jobs and it is not a guarantee.

Another option is getting a job on campus and working outside campus as well. As a student in Canada, you are allowed to work for unlimited number of hours on campus. If you are lucky to get a job on campus plus another job outside campus, you may be able to pull through. This also depends on the campus and city. Not all campuses have jobs for students on site.

P.s I know some people that have been able to pull it off but they are very few and this also depends on factors such as how much is the tuition. A student that has to pay $3,000 every semester is not facing as much pressure as someone who has to pay $8,000 every semester. The flexibility of payment and deadline by the school is another factor.

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eclint(m): 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2021
Idaytesj29:

i am about submitting for same course but for winter 2022, i just finished my SOI and uploaded my transcript today from my system. the only ones i need to wrap up is the Referee reports and letter to proof English as medium of learning.

so, are in MUN now?

Hey! Did you submit your applications? I just applied for the same intake term. Though I secured a supervisor for my master's research. Let's rob mind bro.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by MINTss: 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2021
Please is anyone going to flemming college this September. Looking to share accommodation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.