Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination (1540 Views)

Boko Haram Targets Guardian, Daily Trust / Boko Haram Targets Us Embassy / Boko Haram Targets Aso Rock And Wants JTF Withdrawn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by MAYOWAAK: 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has disclosed that he is one of the prominent Nigerians on the list of Boko Haram sect marked for assassination.

In a down-to-earth interview with TheNEWS magazine which is circulated within outside Nigeria this week, Soyinka revealed that he was not only on the sect’s assassination list but very close to the top.
Soyinka said he has reported this to the security operatives in the country and they confirmed the information but he expressed disappointment that the security operatives have not taken action on the threat.

He said: “The reason for this programme (elimination) which I know is very much their third phase, is that those pushing this agenda know very well that this could be the last straw that will break the camel’s back.

And they would rather this country broke up and possibly in an inferno than continue to accept the loss, even though temporal loss of power in this country. For these people, government is the only business around.”

The Nobel Laureate said he was not against dialogue but the Boko Haram sect did not make public their demands so that they could sit at a round table with government.

He added that dialogue does not require a group to constitute itself into a terror, stating that PRONACO which he joined during former President Obasanjo’s administration successful organised its conference, amended the constitution of Nigeria and presented the document to the government without violence.

Soyinka said he cannot be cowed into submission by the Boko Haram or any other violent group, stressing,

“I believe that one should not beg for existence. If the price of not coming to table is that you want to eliminate me, and you can do so, please do so. I am 77.

“Please, come to the debating table, but you will not persuade me simply because you have the capacity to blow me and my family up. You can simply go ahead, blow us up if you think that is the way you can do your conversation. But you will not bomb me to sit with you at table,” he insisted.

Soyinka said President Jonathan is underestimating the desperation of the forces behind the Boko Haram sect not considering the Islamic struggle in countries like Iraq where fundamentalist Islamic groups attack one another even in their sanctuary of worship and they retaliate with higher casualty figure.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/boko-haram-targets-wole-soyinka-assassination

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/06/soyinka-on-boko-harams-hit-list/
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by efisher(m): 3:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
Prof. Wole Soyinka is the definition of a patriot. They shouldn't make the mistake of assassinating him cos it will push Nigeria off the cliff. Anyway, that's what they want.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by MAYOWAAK: 3:53pm On Feb 06, 2012
Here is the link to the full interview by The News Magazine:

http://thenewsafrica.com/2012/02/06/next-phase-of-boko-haram-terrorism/
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:57pm On Feb 06, 2012
Ever considered that the Federal Government is the one conspiring to eliminate Soyinka along with some popular Activists so they can blame it on Boko Haram? after all Funso Williams death was blamed on Hoodlums like we do not know better wink
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by kenifeh(m): 5:07pm On Feb 06, 2012
Wole Soyinka remains one of the few voices of truth alive in Nigeria today. Let it be known, should anything happen to Wole Soyinka, i am prepared to abandon everything i am doing to wage war against that sect. Enough is enough
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 06, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Ever considered that the Federal Government is the one conspiring to eliminate Soyinka along with some popular Activists so they can blame it on Boko Haram? after all Funso Williams death was blamed on Hoodlums like we do not know better wink

It is comments like this that make me want to stay away from Nairaland.
Comments like this make conclude that Nigeria has not future since her citizens debate with feelings more than with reasons.

Is BOKO HARAM ready to proclaim "fatwa" on any body percieved to be their enemy? yes. Wole Soyinka has proved he is not Boko's friend.

Is Jonathan as brutal as OBJ, IBB, Buhari, Abacha an other misfits we have managed tp produce as Heads of State?
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Beaf: 6:11pm On Feb 06, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Ever considered that the Federal Government is the one conspiring to eliminate Soyinka along with some popular Activists so they can blame it on Boko Haram? after all Funso Williams death was blamed on Hoodlums  like we do not know better  wink

It is hard to understand why any grown up would make such a despicable and evil statement. You might deslike GEJ, but don't let that drag you into the gutter. We all have brains, lets learn to use them.

Disgusting.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
I just hope they're joking. I have a feeling this boko haram is working for the government. Why would they possibly want Soyinka dead?
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Beaf: 6:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
noblezone:

Comments like this make conclude that Nigeria has not future since her citizens debate with feelings more than with reasons.

Is BOKO HARAM ready to proclaim "fatwa" on any body percieved to be their enemy? yes. Wole Soyinka has proved he is not Boko's friend.

Is Jonathan as brutal as OBJ, IBB, Buhari, Abacha an other misfits we have managed tp produce as Heads of State?

Exactly! These days, its a pride to emit anything crude and crass.

@topic
Boko haram is as desperate as Wole Soyinka makes them out to be, its all about free oil money:

Prof. Wole Soyinka:
He said: “The reason for this programme (elimination) which I know is very much their third phase, is that those pushing this agenda know very well that this could be the last straw that will break the camel’s back.

And they would rather this country broke up and possibly in an inferno than continue to accept the loss, even though temporal loss of power in this country. For these people, government is the only business around.

Bullseye, sir! cool
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by solihu(m): 6:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
Very few "bolts & nuts", holding the "fragments" called Nigeria are fast wearing out. I'm afraid whats left of it is even weak. For how long are we going to keep dwelling on hope and chances? We sincerely need to do more positive things as citizens and also hold our leaders responsible.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
noblezone:

Beaf:

It is hard to understand why any grown up would make such a despicable and evil statement. You might deslike GEJ, but don't let that drag you into the gutter. We all have brains, lets learn to use them.

Disgusting.

grin  grin  grin

You forget the world's largest Political party (My Party BTW) also hosts membership of the worlds longstanding convicted criminals in the history of mankind. most have even become (elected) Governors  grin

I repeat, indeed I insist that there is a nest of killers within the PDP. From Ngige's recent experience, the well laid plans for his ultimate fate, it is evident that the vipers in that nest do not strike only outwards but inwards.

I repeat my warning that even you also once extended to me, in one of your rare moments of selflessness and genuine concern for others: Watch your back!

Wole Soyinka
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Gbawe: 6:22pm On Feb 06, 2012
afam4eva:

I just hope they're joking. I have a feeling this boko haram is working for the government. Why would they possibly want Soyinka dead?

The article makes it clear. Assasinating prominent Nigerians may be a desperate attempt to force the hands of Southerners who, to date, have risen above barbaric provocation. Needless to say that Boko Haram will certainly gain a reaction if they start targeting prominent individuals in the SE, SS and SW.

Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Afam4eva(m): 6:25pm On Feb 06, 2012
Gbawe:

The article makes it clear. Assasinating prominent Nigerians may be a desperate attempt to force the hands of Southerners who, to date, have risen above barbaric provocation. Needless to say that Boko Haram will certainly gain a reaction if they start targeting prominent individuals in the SE, SS and SW.

Hmm, it makes sense. It seems nobody seems to be heeding to boko haram's call for chaos in the land. And i'm quite surprised that the south-easterners who would normally go on a reprisal attack are quiet this time around. It seems they know the game that the boko-haramists are trying to play.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Beaf: 6:34pm On Feb 06, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

grin  grin  grin

You forget the world's largest Political party (My Party BTW) also hosts membership of the worlds longstanding convicted criminals in the history of mankind. most have even become (elected) Governors  grin

Whatever.
It is no excuse to be loose lipped, such thoughtless crap is becoming a bit of a trend these days. Why would a grown up make stories up, or not reason thoroughly before speaking?

@topic
Here's what they hate about Wole Soyinka. He is a brave man who has resoundingly proven himself and has the ears of the masses:

That is because I do not claim to know the exact answer, but a man who was certain he knew the answer was Prof Wole Soyinka, a man often fond of pouring kerosene into a blazing flame. Speaking to a South African newspaper late last week, he said “both religious and political forces were driving the insurgency by the Islamist sect Boko Haram.”

According to Soyinka, “power-hungry politicians from Nigeria’s Muslim North are using indoctrinated young militants, drawn from the ranks of the poor unemployed and educated in Islamic schools, as foot soldiers in a battle over who should control the country.” He also said, “Those who unleashed Boko Haram on the nation are politicians… Unfortunately one has to point to what section they come from, and that is the North. This minority is much focused, very powerful, very rich, they used to be in government, and they’ve accumulated billions… They are the ones who unleashed this monster on the nation. They have articulated their conviction that it is their turn to rule Nigeria.”
. . .
Soyinka proposed the holding of a national conference, bringing together all sectors of Nigerian society and all national institutions, to discuss regional grievances and problems and thrash out a national consensus for the future.

“We’ve all got to sit down, the various sections of the country, to decide in what manner we want to rule. We’ve got to sit down with the constitution and decide if this is the best constitution for the nation,” he said.

“Eventually we’ll arrive at an even platform where we can begin to discuss the future… of the nation.”

http://www.iol.co.za/the-star/nigerian-nobel-laureate-boko-haram-unleashed-by-northern-politicians-1.1226526

The boko harams might feel that such forthright truths from a man as erudite and respected as Wole Soyinka are a bit too much.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by efisher(m): 6:58pm On Feb 06, 2012
As events unfold, everything seems to revolve around people like IBB!
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
It seems we are all somehow forgetting the fact that several incidents have occurred that suggest the Federal Government know those behind Boko-Haram, They have made some arrests and either somehow allowed key suspects to escape under "heavy security" or handed them to Muslim Clerics for rehabilitation or simply kept the List of Known Sponsors secret for some reason perhaps highly sensitive to be made public   (this single behavior for a democracy 15 years on simply baffles me).

BH have made obvious their threat and have executed as stated (100% of the time) and they have set forth ideals that represent their "Terrorists Agenda". What I want to ask is how will assassinating Wole Soyinka profit their agenda ?. It is not as if the SS/SW/SE have reacted any differently when their members were butchered over the past 20 years of religious and ethnic conflicts across Northern Nigeria. If BH had threatened to assassinate GEJ, then one will have to wonder the sense in that.  It does not make any strategic sense.

Have the SS truly risen above barbaric provocation to counter BH activities. intra-ethnic conflicts have occurred in the SS (against their own brothers) so it is not far from their pouches to deal barbarically nor is it out of their mien.

Unfortunately BH activities cannot be removed too far from the Northern Political Agenda, until recently Northern Governors have done little to treat the Religious conflicts in their domain with the levity it deserves. they have been strangely silent. Where Military action is required, they have countered with unconventional placation and crude excuses of insecurity.

And how is SS/SW/SE to react, MEND/MASSOB/OPC is effectually useless as either as an ideological tool, Political instrument or a deterrent to further violence.

We must come to terms with the idea that BH may have the picture of a Religious outfit fighting for its ideological agenda. it is deeply rooted in Political motivations "sponsored and supported" by individuals and groups within this Government. I find it baffling that we are still grappling with BH at this point
Considering negotiating with a Terrorist Group is:  
1: Agreeing with their demands to implement Sharia across Nigeria and reinforce their ideals to the teeming impoverished members in the north who have become disappointed with their Political leaders
2: Delaying justice and discounting emotional and moral closure for the families of the victims or BH attacks
3: Setting a precedent for future groups who are presently emboldened by the way this "Weak" government is soft-handling life-threatening issues that seek to destabilize Nigeria.

Is the BH phenomenon so complex that it cannot be treated? we are fast encouraging an environment where FG is operating from a position of disadvantage when it should not be the case.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Revolutnz: 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2012
Thanks @MAYOWAAK for the link. It's revealing and shocking   shocked
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Obiagu1(m): 8:01pm On Feb 06, 2012
Any attempt angry

I think they are calling for a full scale war. Silly people, let them fuvk off with their Arewa Republic instead of killing people and embarrassing Africa.
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by dayokanu(m): 8:03pm On Feb 06, 2012
Are these Boko Haram guys trolling us?

How does Killing Kongi translate into Islamic republic they want
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by Lasinoh: 1:59am On Feb 07, 2012
Na lie.
Na OPC wanno kill 'im! kiss
Like they killed Ige and their other 'bwordahs'!
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by obowunmi(m): 3:16am On Feb 07, 2012
the world at large - no longer listens to Soyinka, I don't get the point of having him killed ? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Boko Haram Targets Wole Soyinka For Assassination by koruji(m): 4:00am On Feb 07, 2012
Well, if there is a task for OPC to show they are ready for the fight that is coming, this is it.

Soyinka needs topnotch security right now - and Yorubas must not stand aside while such an act is attempted, talkless of taking place.

The memory of Bola Ige is still fresh in the mind  cool  cool cool

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Fresh Attacks Hit Kano / John Fashanu Openly Fingers El-rufai In The Problem With Nigeria / What If Goodluck Jonathan Resigns?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.