Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) (91691 Views)

OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 2:05am On Feb 08, 2012
@ topic

maybe folks should have civil/kiriji war renactments like Americans do.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 2:20am On Feb 08, 2012
Kilode?!:

^

It was a question Jo.

But You mean British naval rafts right?  grin

Was that the reason why Oba Akinsemoyin invited those animalistic portuguese in to trade in slaves? That Also fanned the embers of war in the "Yoruba" hinterland.

Everybody trying to sell something.

You dropped the ball Eko folks, you guys should have covered that flank properly, you let the long nosed liars in  tongue

No need for name calling.

isale_gan2:

Afghanistan, right? Sooo many battles for your people. cry From Mujaheedeen to Taliban to USA colony. Pele o. grin

How dare you, sir? How very dare you? angry angry angry Okay! Lagos people were Owanbe'ing when all the other Yorubas were warrior'ing. So what?! embarassed

Na you sabi. cool
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 2:22am On Feb 08, 2012
tpia@:

@ topic

maybe folks should have civil/kiriji war renactments like Americans do.

Yes these civil wars need historical parks. If I have money, I'll work on it.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 2:23am On Feb 08, 2012
Kilode?!:

Yes these civil wars need historical parks. If I have money, I'll work on it.

Historical parks?
People worship or make sacrifices in most of those battle-grounds till today.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 2:24am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

No need for name calling.

Na you know, defender of the caucasus mountains  tongue
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 2:36am On Feb 08, 2012
~Sauron~:

Historical parks?

NO,  It does not have to be on the hallowed battle grounds.

We can place parks in close proximity if local folks dont wan't their sacred battle grounds desecrated by pimpled faced fat kids.

Okemesi will be a good location, there is nothing to lose after all, you better jump on board, your yam economy won't take you too far o  grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by NegroNtns(m): 3:15am On Feb 08, 2012
He knew he couldn't win. Don't forget that Fodio used Islam to convince Hausa sons to fight against the idolatrous Hausa kings. The strategy of sending Islamic scholars to Yorubaland only yielded fruit in Ilorin for several reasons but chiefly because Afonja was a wicked man and that led the people of Ilorin to turn to Alimi in getting rid of him (Afonja).

What I heard was that the same Ilorin that's today the Northern frontier of Yorubaland, was back then the center of the territory which extended as far North on border with Gobir, a Hausa State and birthplace of Fodio. The Empire of Oyo, with Dahomey, one of its tributaries, had extended territorial expansion as far West as Volta and even took wars to distant Asantehene and Mali Empires. Ilorin housed Muslim slcholars and slaves from different parts of these West African Empires. When Fodio's jihad started it wasn't just about establishing Islam because some of the people he marched against like the Hausas, Nupes and Kanuris were already practicing Islamic faith. . . .though not in wholesale as it is today.  Fodio was tutored by scholars from Mali and Futa living in Gobir.  The scholars were adherents of the Sufi movements in Mali and the stewards of the Timbuktu school of Maliki Islamic thought.  In their teachings, Islam cannot operate underneath of any other social law.  Adherents must therefore create their own enclave and community of the faithfuls in which Islam is their law. Fodio had been teaching and spreading this message and gaining popularity.  The Hausa ruler of Gobir had problem with Fodio and sent him out of town with his followers. He ended up in a new enclave in Old Oyo called Balle and lived with his fellow scholars exiled out of Gobir.  He soon developed interest in waging war against the Hausa kings and to install Islam as the defacto law of their land.

The first battle was against Gobir. The Hausa Kings were tyrannical and unpopular amongst their own people who were oppressed. Employing the aid of the rebellious citizens Fodio took one Hausa state after the other until he has conquered all seven and installed a Malian or Futa scholar over them. By the time they reached the Eastern Frontier of Hausa states and were in Kanem's territory they faced a different kind of opposition.  Kanuris loved their ruler and so the expected support of the local citizen was a dissapointment and led to their failure in subduing Kanem's Empire.

The Jihadists then marched Southward into Nupe territory. Nupe territory had previously been obliterated by Oyo in a reprisal attack to which Nupe had sacked Oyo. So the Jihadists met with little resistance in occupying Nupe.  The next territory was the Oyo Empire.  The Jihadits stopped and did not march on Oyo.  Why?  Fodio refused to march on his mother's soil.

At the end of the campaign, Fodio had conquered the entire landscape from Gobir to Adamawa, defeated in Kanem and never raised sword against Oyo.  

If his birth circumstance had been different and he had marched on Oyo Empire, would he have won considering that Oyo was at the time the single most powerful Empire in West Africa?

BTW, Fodio was repelled by the Kanuri.

True, but he marched into their territory in an attempt to rule over them.

3 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by NegroNtns(m): 3:35am On Feb 08, 2012
Historical parks?

. . . yeah, since Lagos did not participate in your wars we'd love to see how it was fought. We will give land for the park to be built here. In fact, I'll tell you what. . . , we will tax ndigbo to finance the park. Keep the ritual to the land up there please. grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by isalegan2: 4:49am On Feb 08, 2012
~Sauron~:

Make i hear word, the Ekitis kicked arses.
They brought a lot of Ibadan women back home as spoils of the war. grin

~Sauron~:

Sango? grin grin grin grin
You really don't know your history.
Go and check what happened to the Oyo warriors when they went to Ikere Ekiti to catch slaves to be sold to White Men. grin cheesy

No be today Ekiti people don dey sodomize Oyo Warriors. grin cheesy

E no go better for the 2456387947 Aare ona kankanfos in Oyo!

That particular rock killed over 2000 Oyo Warriors in one evening.
It's still being worshipped till today in Ikere Ekiti.

~Sauron~:

They needed an alliance. Oyo Empire was massive.
The Ekitis couldn't have won the war by themselves - but each time the Oyo Warriors encroached the Ekiti territories, they got sodomized!

~Sauron~:

Historical parks?

Who is this wildman?  shocked shocked shocked embarassed

We should sacrifice you so Yorubaland can have 100 years of peace and prosperity.  tongue

These Ekiti peeps are very troublesome.  It must be something in the water.  undecided  Explains Ileke-Idi, Ekt-Bear, Aigbofa. . .  wink

I kid I jest.  grin grin grin grin cheesy

P.S. I still want more posts in this thread about great historical figures, even if they're obscure to most people nowadays.  Do your bit, please and thanks.  cool smiley
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-675773.0.html
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ektbear: 4:56am On Feb 08, 2012
This is a great thread.

Sauron, I think you are overrated Ekiti's military prowess.

If it had been one vs one or even just Ijesha+Ekiti versus Ibadan, we would have lost.

Let us not confuse good luck and fortunate circumstances for awesomeness or extra-ordinary fighting ability.

Man I'm surprised you are getting so passionate about something from ~120 years ago
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by EkoIle1: 5:02am On Feb 08, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

. . . yeah, since Lagos did not participate in your wars we'd love to see how it was fought. We will give land for the park to be built here. In fact, I'll tell you what. . . , we will tax ndigbo to finance the park. Keep the ritual to the land up there please. grin grin

I don't know why, but this got me rolling,
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 6:58am On Feb 08, 2012
@Eko Ile

We know why that got you rolling, always baiting these guys.

@Sauron

Na so una be, stubborn beyond belief, I get una for house grin. The Ekitis and Ijeshas could not even hold the Ibadans, they had to call Fulani to help them, do not overrate your warriors, you guys were easy pickings, if not for those Egbas and especially the Ijebus who blockaded Ibadan, remember we are landlocked (that is why I laugh at these Biafra people), we would have used you guys for tooth pick, do you also know that the Ibadan warriors did not want to give victory so easily to their Baale so they were lackadaisical in their fights only fighting seriously when the camp was threatened, the Ijeshas and Ekitis should thank the British for coming in, we would have eventually settled with the Ijebus and Egbas and arms would have flowed freely to be used on you guys.

@ACM
At either the Kiriji wars or the one before that, the Ibadans only had few rifles and had to use swords and cutlasses to fight the ekiti and Ijeshas, they would allow the Parapos to discharge their load (modern rifle supplied to christians fighting on behalf of the parapos) before getting close and laying waste to them, do not call such people cowards again in your life.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Ufeolorun(m): 10:25am On Feb 08, 2012
How or why Ekiti won doesn't really matter,its just the winning that's the koko.
Since then we have been using that victory as morale booster to stand against modern day tyranny(Obj,fayose,Oni)

People with typical Oyo/Ibadan tribal marks usually look feisty and strong ,some may have fore-fathers who were warriors.
Some look really cool with it(Lere Paimo)

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 10:30am On Feb 08, 2012
@Ufe

You guys did not win, it ended in a stalemate, Ekiti people too stubborn sha. The civil war should be taught in all SW states in a way that shows that our forefathers were warriors.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ektbear: 11:01am On Feb 08, 2012
Heh.

If you are fighting to escape domination from Ibadan and you do so, from your perspective it is a victory grin

That my ancestors made it alive and weren't killed/enslaved = win to me
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by TonySpike: 11:02am On Feb 08, 2012
@hercules07,

The major problem in Nigeria is that history is no longer taught in our schools. It will only take an inquisitive mind in Nigeria to study and research deep into our past. Ironically, it is said that "people who forget their past history cannot successfully progress into the future".

Enough said, this history must be taught undistorted to our young ones. The SW history has a greater role to play to our young minds as this can help them solve recurring societal problems in the future.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 11:06am On Feb 08, 2012
That's the way it IS taught, at least as far as i know. Fact remains it ended in a stalemate, never mind the errors on this thread.

That's why relying on google and nl alone cant give a full or accurate picture of history.

Anyway, another side effect of those wars was they contributed greatly to the mixing of yorubaland because populations of people were transplanted from their home areas, due to slavery or migration, to start afresh elsewhere in yorubaland. Some returned home after the wars while many did not.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 11:07am On Feb 08, 2012
^@ hercules
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Ufeolorun(m): 11:09am On Feb 08, 2012
Hercules,
Yes It should be,creation and Odu'a mythology was all I heard about in secondary school.
Our teacher was  tough by the way so I avoided most of her classes.

I grew with stories of how we defeated the Ajeles(Ibadan) and that's not gonna change lol!
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:15am On Feb 08, 2012
@Ufe

See you, of course everyone will tell stories from their perspective, by the way the Ajeles were the guys situated in your land to collect royalties and instead of you guys to just pay your 20% pere, you guys came with stubborness, after all we needed money to fight the Ilorins nau, it is all good sha, where will I get my well pounded yam from if not from an Ekiti wife and an Ijesha mum.

@ekt
We (The Ibadans) were troublemakers, of course you guys got your independence and in return Ogedengbe tormented you guys after the war grin.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by jmaine: 12:14pm On Feb 08, 2012
Sweet thread . .i have been following proceedings with a cute sheer passion  cheesy . . . more interesting is that my town Okemesi . . .aka . .Land of The Brave and the Intellectuals holds an important historical niche to the Kiriji wars . . .

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 1:02pm On Feb 08, 2012
Jmaine is Yoruba?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2012
Tony Spike:

@hercules07,

The major problem in Nigeria is that history is no longer taught in our schools. It will only take an inquisitive mind in Nigeria to study and research deep into our past. Ironically, it is said that "people who forget their past history cannot successfully progress into the future".

Enough said, this history must be taught undistorted to our young ones. The SW history has a greater role to play to our young minds as this can help them solve recurring societal problems in the future.

We have enough scholars and they wrote a lot and left us with a lot to explore and build on. The problem is with the Military designed school curriculum. They were inadequate and they still are.

If Nigeria had stuck to her original regional arrangement, I'm sure we would have designed better curriculum for our children and students. Historians like Bolanle Awe actually spoke with people who lived with or were children of those warriors and she brilliantly documented their stories in her writings. Of course she built on the great works of the Yoruba pioneer historian Samuel Johnson

The Military, in their quest for control bastardized our education system, it's all about control. What we need is to return. Few things liberate the mind faster than a good sense of history, a good sense of who you are and where you came from.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
I heard the Ijebus and Owu sub-group of the Yoruba tribe never lost a war - can someone please tell me if it's true or not
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2012
The british kicked their behind and the Ibadans were not too interested in that area as the overriding objective was to get Ilorin and to push the Fulanis back, civilisation initially came from the North before the arrival of the British. The Ijebus were good warriors sha but there were quite a few wars and battles with the Ibadans that were usually settled no victor no vanquished.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 3:56pm On Feb 08, 2012
hercules07:

The british kicked their behind and the Ibadans were not too interested in that area as the overriding objective was to get Ilorin and to push the Fulanis back, civilisation initially came from the North before the arrival of the British. The Ijebus were good warriors sha but there were quite a few wars and battles with the Ibadans that were usually settled no victor no vanquished.

That was at Imagbon in 1892 when the Ijebu refused to open up the trade routes to the Yoruba hinterland. I believe that was the most action the British got against a Yoruba state.

The Ijebu were also defeated at Remo by the Egba when some Ijebu traders refused to shut the trade route to the Ibadan at the start of the Civil war.

Lessons/Outcomes
1. The antipathy between Ibadan and other states would continue well into the independence movement era and first republic. Ibadan politicians would fail to align behind Awolowo (Ijebu) while others such as the Ekiti, Ijesha, Ondo, Egba (rivals of the Ijebus) would align with Awolowo in Egbe Omo Yoruba. Lagos maintained its independence (under the continued protection of the British grin )

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Kats

Yeah I believe it could be so, though, the Ibadans, Egbas and Ijebus had been known to come to agreements even during those wars, the Egbas gave up a village to the Ibadans because of treachery on the Egba's side, I am sure the politicians used the civil war to stir up some emotions in the people, also remember that a lot of Ijebus make up Ibadan, though that could be ascribed to Ibadan being the center of modern Yoruba leadership as at then.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by baksonlee: 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
Kats has come again with his anti Ibadan/Oyo sentiments. Awolowo is extremely loved by the Ibadans

Is it true that there was no city called Ibadan before 1829? The Ibadan indigenes today were from Oyo(50%) Ife(25%) Ijebu(25%) approximately.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 4:42pm On Feb 08, 2012
hercules07:

civilisation initially came from the North before the arrival of the British.

This is wrong.

Explain what you mean by civilization.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by jmaine: 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2012
hercules07:

Jmaine is Yoruba?

Yes he is 
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Ufeolorun(m): 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2012
Ibadan has no royal family anybody can be king (Olubadan)
→↔Libertarian. cheesy cheesy
Sums up the chaos Ibadan must have been then.I was wondering why late Adedibu was one of the top chiefs in Ibadan despite his 'thuggish' antecedents but now i know cheesy.
When Olubadan asked him to choose between his traditional title and politics,he fired back that all the chiefs including the king himself play politics hence he cannot choose and Olubadan cannot take his title away. grin grin
hercules07:

@Ufe

See you, of course everyone will tell stories from their perspective, by the way the Ajeles were the guys situated in your land to collect royalties and instead of you guys to just pay your 20% pere, you guys came with stubborness, after all we needed money to fight the Ilorins nau, it is all good sha, where will I get my well pounded yam from if not from an Ekiti wife and an Ijesha mum.

@ekt
We (The Ibadans) were troublemakers, of course you guys got your independence and in return Ogedengbe tormented you guys after the war grin.
Hercules,
its not about 20% pere but how demeaning it is for someone to part with some of his valuable belongings to a king who you probably don't know or is not that relevant to your life.
I think if we Ekitis had learned from the Ibadans and stopped living in separate small towns,converge on Ado or any other huge town,build a buffer like the Ibadans did,we could have been unstoppable.We got the spirit and the numbers wink grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
jmaine:

Yes he is [img]http://2.bp..com/_v4db_cQ55tE/TP0s7sQ08KI/AAAAAAAAA44/-q2ReYITBYM/s320/Fayose.jpg[/img]

Ayo "Jmaine" Fayose is that you?  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online / Hameed Ali Marries Zainab Abdullahi As New Wife (Photos) / DSS Arrests Suspended CBN Gov, Godwin Emefiele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.