Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,672 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life (19021 Views)

Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know / Studying In The Netherlands. / Any Nigerian Studying In The Netherlands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by dnative(m): 3:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
@AduroSurvivor.

One word - Tenacity!

1 Like

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by yemmyma: 3:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
@adurosurvivor,

you surely have a good story but it would have been more interesting if you atleast put the countries where you lived during these periods.

2 Likes

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by begwong: 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
make sure u no return until u build that story building for benin,buy hummer jeep before u return else,better come back home help mama sell plantain with corn or maintain your illegal status without complaining.Who send u in the first place?
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by kizito96(m): 4:34pm On Feb 08, 2012
Its a big problem for our brothers and sisters who live illegally in Europe
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by SamMilla1(m): 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2012
It is pathetic cos i witnesed that first hand in BErlin and Amsterdam. I used to write monthly for a newspaper in the NEtherlands called African BUlletin where i directly and indirectly tell our people living illegaly to move back home. Freedom has no price. I was once interviewed by dutch police officials where i also told them that our people live in fear and that some of them dont leave their homes for a whole month. They tried to set up a kind of programme with me where our people who are illegal can come and learn some things and then get some money and move back home but then all of a sudden, my elder brother got kidnapped (still missing) and i had to move back home to take care of the family business.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by sweet9ja: 6:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
C'mon folks, there are many Timothys in the EU, North America and parts of Asia.
Yes, it is a rough and tough living, but these are thesame people contributing to the US$10b annually remitted to Nigeria.
They deserve our respect and our gratitude and not riddicle.
@op, I don't think you have details of Timothy's life (in NL and here in naija) and even less so his plans.
BTW, far more Timothys eventually archieve their goals.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by atasteve: 8:22pm On Feb 08, 2012
So sad what Nigerians put themselves thru.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by seyibrown(f): 12:35am On Feb 09, 2012
@ AduroSurvivor!

Whao! What a story! God bless you!
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 09, 2012
john6006:

I think is better to be illegal in Holland as to be legal in Nigeria without social package's for the Unemployed, In Holland you can still go and get food for free even without jobs, But is that possible in Nigeria?

what respectable man wants to get food for free?! even if he had free food in Nigeria, i doubt he would have stayed. btw anyone who has family in 9ja CANNOT die of hunger. . . . . . . . . . . family/friend = free food!

Bandit C.:

I love Nigeria to death and am always there but the notion that they would be better off in Nigeria is a blatant lie. If they would want to move to Nigeria and stay, it should be out of their own conviction but not because the life in Nigeria is better than what is obtainable in Europe, light years from it.

are you saying that what Timothy is going through is better than living in 9ja?!
i gess to each their own, but then i think he shouldnt complain about it then and ENJOY IT fully!

sweet9ja:

Yes, it is a rough and tough living, but these are thesame people contributing to the US$10b annually remitted to Nigeria.
They deserve our respect and our gratitude and not riddicle.

sadly, such people are also the reason why today more than 50% of ALL African pr[b]o[/b]stitutes in France are Nigerians!
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by oge4real(f): 1:16pm On Feb 09, 2012
It is a pity to witness what our fellow country men have to go through just to live abroad.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by realistic1(m): 3:12pm On Feb 09, 2012
Most people back home still strive to enter the western world thinking there is a future there, if only they will learn from this tread and those of you who go home and make innocent people believes that their end point is europe, you should deviate from such and encourage people to remain at home and plan their life afresh,
Recieving 250E as illegal and paying 250E for a room and feeding have to come in tansportation, medical, cloths and all basic necessities.
No place like home.
Patriot or death

1 Like

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by realistic1(m): 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2012
This cancerous disease facing our world is a part of a brain dain, poor governance, corruptions etc, you may not be ignarant of these facts, because I could remeber that we first decided to leave Nigeria when the IBB regime began misleading us, then came abach alot more left and now GEJ, as at last year 2011 more than 1,100,000 nigerians applied for visa to go out,
so we can not put the blames on our fellows if we are so rich and at the same time so poor, where we ran to is not bless with any natural resources rather with cold and diseases but we still come here.
Until we rise up for a stop to all this many will slao fall victim of emigration,
What will it take those fools in power to do things forward and not backward, don´t you see that we have a ¨problem, a big problem that needs urgents solution, My conclussion is that it takes you to make a change, remeber that it takes idiots to be ruled by fools.
Patriot or death
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by sweet9ja: 3:46pm On Feb 09, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

sadly, such people are also the reason why today more than 50% of ALL African pr[b]o[/b]stitutes in France are Nigerians!
You this kind of thinking is what is breeding corruption in naija.
Yes, Nigerians are doing all sorts of things to survive out there, but to say 50% of all African prostitutes in France are Nigerians is really ridiculous.
Do you know that Brits were doing street cleaning in Amsterdam and menial jobs on construction sites in germany? Are you aware that Poles and a lots of East European are taking up jobs that even African refuse to do in the West?
Sit there and keep deluding yourself that you're better than the Timothys out there.

1 Like

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by claremont(m): 9:19pm On Feb 09, 2012
I wouldn't blame anyone who chooses to leave his country to pursue his goals abroad, I would rather blame the Nigerian government.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Anvaller: 11:44pm On Feb 09, 2012
What I do not understand about Timothy's aspiration is his dream of getting a good education in The Netherlands. If he had lived in The Netherlands for that long, he should have been very acquainted to the Dutch system so much that he should know such dreams is almost a "no way"

U never can get admission to any Dutch University as an illegal immigrant. U have to be legally resident in wherever country u are claiming residence, from which u would now apply for MVV as an international student which will give u entry clearance to enter the Netherlands with a study permit. So if he wants to study, his status must change from illegal to legal and in any case, he would have to step out of the Netherlands first and come back in again as a legal immigrant.

The problem is that Dutch tertiary education is not cheap, non is cheaper than 8,000 euros at both undergraduate and graduate level and recently, the Dutch Government has just removed subsidy on Graduate tuition for even Dutch students which implies that Dutch student will from the next academic year pay the same rate international students pay for their education at masters level. So how can Timothy pay this tuition with his condition?

I would advise Timothy if he is reading this to look at possibility of going to neighbouring Belgium. Though life doesnt promise so much in Belgium too but at least cost of living his cheaper and there are more illegal jobs possible compared with the Netherlands, with that, he can have little savings and plan life somehow. The dream of studying in Belgium is more realistic than in the Netherlands as tuition in most Universities are still subsidised even for international students till this moments. He should bear it in mind that however it is, he would have to go Nigeria 1st and come back in. U really can't change status automatically without stepping out and stepping back in.

I hope my info helps Timothy and some other ppl who might find it useful

Goodluck
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 11:56pm On Feb 09, 2012
sweet9ja:

Yes, Nigerians are doing all sorts of things to survive out there, but to say 50% of all African LovePeddlers in France are Nigerians is really ridiculous.

if you speak French, then check the following documentary, rather than put your head in the sand believing it doesnt happen.
the documentary is called THE STRANGE LIFE OF AFRICANS IN PARIS
here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEqKOPMrQG4&feature=related
and EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!!

Do you know that Brits were doing street cleaning in Amsterdam and menial jobs on construction sites in germany? Are you aware that Poles and a lots of East European are taking up jobs that even African refuse to do in the West?
Sit there and keep deluding yourself that you're better than the Timothys out there

so because other desperate human beings are willing to lower themselves, it makes Timothy's story any better?!
keep using your inferiority complex to justify this degrading lifestyle.

btw: whats wrong with street cleaning? whats wrong with construction jobs? you dont make sense bro! it's all about getting paid PROPERLY for the jobs that you do (like people with proper immigration status do). Timothy, and people like him, are modern day SLAVES, thats the right term for someone who is getting paid "pittance" to do such jobs. . . . . . . .  and then these illegal immigrants (like Timothy) have the AUDACITY to turn around and play the victim?!

if the locals dont want to do these underpaid BS jobs, then that should be the alarm bell for anyone to stay away. . . . . . but because of their DESPERATION, they will do anything to survive, even if it is degrading, against the law or plain wrong!

i dont care WHAT they do, so long as it is LEGAL and that they are paid what they normally should (thats why there is a minimum wage).
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Anvaller: 12:01am On Feb 10, 2012
sweet9ja:

Yes, Nigerians are doing all sorts of things to survive out there, but to say 50% of all African LovePeddlers in France are Nigerians is really ridiculous.
Sit there and keep deluding yourself that you're better than the Timothys out there.

You are very right.
Are the Dutch themselves not doing street cleaning?
The reason why life is hard for ppl like Timothy is that Eastern Europeans have flooded western Europe taking up all jobs and are very ready to work for very very meager pay that any Nigerian/African hustler would never take so they create a good market for the so called UITZENDBUREAUS (job agencies) because they make better margin on each of them, hence they prefer to give them job and interestingly, they are very hardworking. What MrbrownJay is probably not aware of is that there are millions of Europeans most especially from the east whose lives are about at the same level with Timothy. They are only better because they don't have any insecurities from lack of paper and that is if they are not in the U.K
It is not Timothy's absolute fault that he is in that situation now, he only needs to be smart with the decisions he would take next otherwise he might remain like that for a long time.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Anvaller: 12:14am On Feb 10, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

if you speak French, then check the following documentary, rather than put your head in the sand believing it doesnt happen.
the documentary is called THE STRANGE LIFE OF AFRICANS IN PARIS
here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEqKOPMrQG4&feature=related
and EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!!

so because other desperate human beings are willing to lower themselves, it makes Timothy's story any better?!
keep using your inferiority complex to justify this degrading lifestyle.

btw: whats wrong with street cleaning? whats wrong with construction jobs? you dont make sense bro! it's all about getting paid PROPERLY for the jobs that you do (like people with proper immigration status do). Timothy, and people like him, are modern day SLAVES, thats the right term for someone who is getting paid "pittance" to do such jobs. . . . . . . .  and then these illegal immigrants (like Timothy) have the AUDACITY to turn around and play the victim?!

if the locals dont want to do these underpaid BS jobs, then that should be the alarm bell for anyone to stay away. . . . . . but because of their DESPERATION, they will do anything to survive, even if it is degrading, against the law or plain wrong!

i dont care WHAT they do, so long as it is LEGAL and that they are paid what they normally should (thats why there is a minimum wage).

Hmmm!

Well, good argument but the quoted minimum wage in that article is correct though but you would only get that if u have semi long term or long term contract. Most short term contracts are through job agencies and believe me, even if you are legal, you would only get about 1000 or 1200 or less for unskilled labour depending on the number of hours the agency is offering, that is the reality. The problem is the paper, once he can solve that, all his problem is solved. Everyone has different stories, some ppl might not have any family support back home, may be that is the reason why he ran away in the 1st place, so where does he wanna start from?

Let's not be harsh on issues like this, at least he is not doing crime so for me, I won't talk down on a guy like that, I would just wish that he can solve his problem
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 1:46am On Feb 10, 2012
Anvaller:

Hmmm!

Well, good argument but the quoted minimum wage in that article is correct though but you would only get that if u have semi long term or long term contract. Most short term contracts are through job agencies and believe me, even if you are legal, you would only get about 1000 or 1200 or less for unskilled labour depending on the number of hours the agency is offering, that is the reality.

the above in bold is the point i am making, now do the math: timothy works 15hrs per week and gets €210/month. . . . . .then tell me if what he does (8hrs+7hrs OVERTIME) is what any legal immigrant would get?
who are we kidding here, this is MODERN DAY SLAVERY. . . . . . .  and sadly, many desperate illegal immigrants will be quick to accept this nonsense, and then have the audacity to turn around and play the victim.
there is only ONE person to blame here: Timothy, as i am sure nobody had a knife under his throat!

The problem is the paper, once he can solve that, all his problem is solved. Everyone has different stories, some ppl might not have any family support back home, may be that is the reason why he ran away in the 1st place, so where does he wanna start from?

no, the papers are the not the problem, the problem is people gladly going to Europe/US etc, knowing fully well that they dont have the ability to work there, HOPING FOR A MIRACLE (because many others have been lucky in the past). the problem of papers was there BEFORE he left 9ja, dont get it twisted the problem was ALWAYS there, he just decided to ignore it.

Let's not be harsh on issues like this, at least he is not doing crime so for me, I won't talk down on a guy like that, I would just wish that he can solve his problem

as much as Timothy has all the rights to live the way he pleases, people should wake up and KNOW exactly what is awaiting them if going abroad illegally. they need to know that when hunger sets in, they will be forced to enslave themselves in crazy situations that they may NEVER get away from.

1 Like

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by iiiyyyk(m): 3:01am On Feb 10, 2012
AduroSurvivor:

Timothy, in case you happen to read this thread I am writing this story to inspire you not to deride you. I was an "Aduro" like you about 12-14 yrs ago. While my situation was not as worse as what you are going through, it was all the same mentally killing. But I had something that kept my mind occupied. Before I left Nigeria I had a goal in mind and in sight. Which was that I was leaving Nigeria to seek a better education and up to the highest level possible. I already had a first degree (a second-class upper result as well). If you have something higher in mind and work toward it, no matter how difficult it is, fate would put you through it. You only need to be persistent. For my 2.5 yrs as an Aduro, I could only think and dream about just one thing. My goals. I washed toilets, cleaned plates, worked as a building demolition guy, renovated buildings, and even worked as a rail-line construction worker. The privilege I had was that I ended up in a country where I was allowed to work temporarily even though I was an Aduro. It was a battle, paying lawyers to fight my case and using that to buy time to actualize my goals. I would not "chase" white girls to get residency paper as was/is common. I just could not do that even though I had couple of white and black (African origin) girl friends. One of my black girl-friends actually had it in her little mind that I was going out with her in order to get "paper". But I was always clear about my motive and plan. I remember telling her that I was not planning to stay there because I do not see my future in such a country. Another "half-cast" African origin young divorcee who was only 3 yrs older than I was willing to give me "paper" on a platter of goal. I was adamant that I have to follow through with my plan. By the time God in his grace and mercy had worked out my plan for me, I was already been told by the authorities to leave their country. I was even bundled (not forcefully though) to the Nigeria embassy in order to collect documents to expedite my deportation. Yes, I went to the embassy with them, and even told the worker I spoke with at the embassy that I was working on a plan that they should issue the document only after some weeks. After then, I already had a letter of admission to start a paid Masters degree in another English-speaking country. I'd worked like "jack" and saved up to 20000 Deutschmark (I kept all my funds with a cousin living in Germany, though I did not live in Germany). I did not do drugs, I worked and saved funds for almost 2yrs of working. At a point they collected my work-permit and were paying me "pea-nuts" allowance. Okay with me because my plan was almost through. My Nigerian friends laughed at me that I was not buying clothes for myself and that I would just "die" (that is exactly what a friend, said).

Even before the Nigeria travel document was issued to expedite my travel back home, I boldly walked to the immigration authority by myself one beautiful summer day. I told the guy responsible for my case that I was ready to go home and he thought he did not hear me well. I repeated myself, and he proposed that I should come back after few days. I returned after few days, and he took me seriously and set a travel date for me to take a flight to Nigeria. I kept the date. My "half-cast" girlfriend cried like hell with the hope that I would change my mind. I did not. On the day, I kept my appointment with the authorized guy who was to escort me to the airport. My girlfriend also escorted me. I would say I was not deported, the guy simply released my tickets and other travel documents to me and each time we passed an immigration point at the airport he would speak to the immigration worker on my behalf. I finally said good bye to my girlfriend and after the last immigration control point I was let go by myself to take the plane with all the dignity in me. I arrived home at the airport and was not bothered much when I presented a traveling certificate to the Nigerian immigration. I was let go without a trouble.

With my letter of admission in hand I faced the embassy of the country I was supposed to travel to, to begin my higher studies. God in his grace made them issued a student visa to me. I had enough funds, though not in my name but in a German bank with a letter from the mum of my cousin saying that the fund is for my education. I knew that if I had presented a bank account in my name I had no evidence of working in Nigeria. On the whole I spent additional 3-months in Nigeria.

After an additional 6yrs of post-graduate education in the country I traveled to, with a PhD degree I did not have to pay a dime for, each time I look back I thank good God that he made me make the right decisions. Now, if I release my name for you to "google", you like those who knew me in those days I was struggling will find it hard to believe how a 'jack' like me ended up working with the best science research groups in the world with my name as an author of impressive scientific publications. Now I work with one of the largest company in the world with a 6-figure salary. And you know what, God is not done with me yet because I still have to keep to my ultimate goal which I set back then. Run a company of my own, and where will that be in? In Nigeria of course. So I will be giving up all the comfort and highly paid salary to follow-up my dream and plan again. I know God will not fail me because I he did not fail me before now, and because he has led me this far, he would not fail me now because all along I let Him know what my ultimate goal is.

So, Timothy and others in similar situation. Be bold and make decisions that others would think that you are probably crazy taking. Set your mind on something to keep you busy while God fight your cause. I remember a point then when my transcript was not released by the university I went to in Nigeria because I had sent a friend to collect it for me. I decided I was going to Nigeria to collect it myself and one of my friend said I was crazy. He recommended that I should instead travel illegally to Ireland and that he could help arrange my travel there. Thank God the transcript was eventually released, and I did not have to go to Nigeria earlier than planned. The lesson from all this is that, we Nigerians need to face and fight our "demons". And these "demons" (things keeping us back) are nowhere but all in Nigeria. Each of us only have one life and we need to start (and even fight) to live our dreams. There is nothing wrong with that. Because we all have dreams.

Thank you for this story only GOD knows how many people this story will inspire to success. to me, your story is God sent. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by iiiyyyk(m): 3:10am On Feb 10, 2012
@ mpmp
from your post i can define your type.

A chiky, lili minded sentimental nigerian. educated illiterate.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Talk2naija(m): 8:44am On Oct 17, 2012
Why can't he just find dutch woman and marry her, its that a problem for him to get, atleast that what most illegal immigrant did. Soo go for it
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 17, 2012
^^^ do you know how many want to find a wife to marry, for the right reasons, AND CANT FIND ANY, let alone looking for one for the WRONG reasons? even if that guy look for the fugliest donkey in Holland to marry, his chances of marrying her will not be 100%.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Talk2naija(m): 7:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Why do you said his chances is low to get married can explain urself better. @ mrbrownjay

Talk2naija
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
^^^^ do you believe anyone can get married?! do you believe anyone ready for marriage can find someone at that particular moment?
the illegal immigrants who get married only do so because they were LUCKY to find someone that wanted to marry them...... and although many go for the fugliest women out there (for quicker acceptance of marriage), it is never 100% sure that the monster they want to marry will say yes!
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Talk2naija(m): 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
Okay now, I got it now
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 8:57am On May 16, 2013
Nigeria should stop breeding like flies, the country is too small...jeeez. Stop flooding other countries and giving African a bad name.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by egbuchee: 2:38am On May 22, 2013
@all , Hello my fellow N/L's, i want to go to Europe for a my Auto parts business but i don't want to come back to Nigeria too soon cos of d flight Ticket. What advice would you give to me? Thanks.
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by SirWellington(m): 11:29am On Mar 23, 2016
BH has made seeking Asylum in Europe lot easier I guess
Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 19, 2020
claremont:
I wouldn't blame anyone who chooses to leave his country to pursue his goals abroad, I would rather blame the Nigerian government.
Nigeria does not have a government, every man is left to fend for himself. To those who choose to go to Netherlands, try and pursue the legal route, so you can enjoy all the benefits Nethelands has to offer.

2 Likes

Re: For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life by slashthroat: 4:11pm On Apr 19, 2020
Dem plenty for USA

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Nigerian Living In Poland? / FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians / Okada Rider Dies, Two Passengers Sustain Injuries In Ogun Road Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.