Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) (8474 Views)

Ambode Orders The Repair Of Lagos-Badagry Expressway / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday / The State Of Lagos-badagry Express Road. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by johnie: 9:48am On Feb 13, 2012
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by johnie: 9:52am On Feb 13, 2012
Work begins on Lot 2 of Lagos-Badagry Road expansion
Monday, 13 February 2012 00:00 Joshua Bassey & Ifeoma Ikeji

Uncertainty hangs around the fate of hundreds of small scale businesses along the Lagos-Badagry Express Road, particularly between Maza-Maza and Okokomaiko, as work on ‘Lot Two’ of the road expansion project has begun.

Already, demolition of shops, structures and shanties standing on the Right of Way (RoW) of the project has commenced. Affected in the demolition exercise is part of Agboju Market, which has been reduced to rubble, with hundreds of traders, sent packing. Also to be affected as the work progresses are filling stations along the corridor.

Several traders at Agboju Market were seen weekend in groups (hands across their breasts), discussing their fate, as bulldozers deployed by the contractors revved through shops and shanties at the popular market.

The traders said they were taken aback by the sudden arrival of bulldozers at the market last Thursday.

“We had heard that work would soon start on the second phase of the road, but we didn’t expect that it will come suddenly. I have actually been thinking of relocating my business, but I have been slowed down by inadequacy of funds to rent a new shop elsewhere,” Tochukwu Ezeibe, an affected trader, told CityFile.

However, a source at the Lagos State Ministry of Works and Infrastructure when contacted, argued against the traders’ position, insisting they (traders) were informed well ahead of time to vacate the RoW of the project.

“They have been instructed several times to leave the road, but you know people always wait for the last minute,” the source said, reaffirming the determination of the government to see the project through.

Many of the traders were however, seen packing iron zinc and woods used in the construction of their now destroyed shops, as they lamented that the development has thrown them out of business and took away their means of survival.

Another trader, Uche Anayo, who deals in travelling bags whose shop has been demolished, said she was yet to secure a new place to relocate her business. “As I speak now, there is nowhere to go, but I am hopeful I will find a place,” she said as she loaded her wares into a waiting van.

The lot 2 of the project runs from Mile Two in Amuwo-Odofin to Okokomaiko in Ojo area of the state. Work on lot one (starting from the Eric Moore end of the road to Mile Two) had been ongoing for more than two years now; handled by Julius Berger plc.

The project, probably the most ambitious of the Babatunde Fashola-led administration, entails the expansion of the four-lane over three decades expressway to 10 lanes with rail line in the middle. The rail line is a separate contract also being handled by Construction and Civil Engineering Corporation of China (CCECC).

Femi Hamzat, Lagos State commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, had recently confirmed the award of contract for the second phase of the road project to Construction and Civil Engineering Corporation of China (CCECC). Five companies bided for the contract after it was advertised by the state government last year.

Hamzat, at a stakeholder meeting, said CCECC in addition to the new deal, also had the responsibility for the rail component in lot one.

He explained that the meeting was convened to bring on board the views of those who will be affected by the construction. He noted that the plan to expand the road was to harness the economic value to the state. The development, he said, would not only open up the West African market to Nigeria but will also impact positively on properties along the corridor.

“On completion, the road will impact on economic, commercial and social activities on the corridor,” Hamzat said, adding that diligence will be followed in arriving at compensation for those affected.

He disclosed that the Right of Way (RoW) for the project is 120 metres, adding that the state is committed to carrying the people along as it implements its development agenda.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/city-file/city-file/33011-work-begins-on-lot-2-of-lagos-badagry-road-expansion
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by Sholaf(f): 2:39pm On Feb 13, 2012
Please can you post some pictures?
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by pheesayor(m): 11:38am On Feb 28, 2012
Julius berger has vacated mazamaza and ccecc situated their own camp beside mobil filling station at festac first gate. The farthest they've gone is the u-turn before oluti bus stop. The glo mast at agboju has also been completely evacuated.
The traders complaining should have gotten alternatives since the first lot started. They can as well move backwards, the only stumbling block being clearing the bush therre.
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by pheesayor(m): 11:42am On Feb 28, 2012
Shola I'll post pictures as soon as I get to my pc
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by johnie: 12:43pm On Feb 28, 2012
pheesayor:

Shola I'll post pictures as soon as I get to my pc

Thanks!
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by DisGuy: 9:35pm On Apr 13, 2012
Delivery date is August 2012, any update
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by Martin55: 3:46am On Apr 14, 2012
The glo mast at agboju has also been completely evacuated.
The traders complaining should have gotten alternatives since the first lot started. [img]http://www.keyforex.info/pet.gif[/img]
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 4:35am On Apr 14, 2012
You can see some pictures of the project on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/898591/fashola-woos-foreign-investment-partners
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by johnie: 10:14pm On Jun 01, 2013
naptu2:

By the way, I think it's time we revive your thread "What's Happening on the Badagry Axis". The first phase of the Blue Line (Orile - Mile 2) is scheduled to be completed this month. I passed there about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I saw metres and metres of track. Workmen were laying the tracks. I saw the dummy train that's being used to test the tracks. It looks like they might actually meet their target, but they've still got some work to do at the Mile 2 station. Maybe we can get Berem to feed us info (she lives in that area).

Berem, over to you o!
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by gbanikiti(m): 10:56am On Jun 06, 2013
johnie:

Berem, over to you o!
As others have rightly stated, the road is making progress. the sandfilling of Agboju axis and probably down to Abule Ado might slow the pace of work because it's a swamp. The traders at Agboju should be blamed for not relocating their businesses. the warning to relocate by the state government came months before the construction reached Agboju. so blaming the government for not giving them prior information is absolutely stewpid!

The only problem on that road is Volks bus stop because of the u turn. heavy vehicles going to Alaba international market and towards badagry cause most of the serious traffic on that road. Last week Saturday i passed the road, i saw CCECC workers doing some emergency works by using interlocks to repair the road at Ilaje and Odu eran bus stops. The rain is not helping matters as some vehicles get stuck in the mud.

Finally, as i said earlier, work is in progress .all we need is to be patient and work alongside with the government. cool
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 10:58am On Jun 06, 2013
gbanikiti: As others have rightly stated, the road is making progress. the sandfilling of Agboju axis and probably down to Abule Ado might slow the pace of work because it's a swamp. The traders at Agboju should be blamed for not relocating their businesses. the warning to relocate by the state government came months before the construction reached Agboju. so blaming the government for not giving them prior information is absolutely stewpid!

The only problem on that road is Volks bus stop because of the u turn. heavy vehicles going to Alaba international market and towards badagry cause most of the serious traffic on that road. Last week Saturday i passed the road, i saw CCECC workers doing some emergency works by using interlocks to repair the road at Ilaje and Odu eran bus stops. The rain is not helping matters as some vehicles get stuck in the mud.

Finally, as i said earlier, work is in progress .all we need is to be patient and work alongside with the government. cool

Thanks very much dear.
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by gbanikiti(m): 11:20am On Jun 06, 2013
naptu2:

Thanks very much dear.
You welcome! cool cool
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by johnie: 12:26pm On Jun 06, 2013
Thanks Gbanikiti.

Kindly provide us with regular updates.
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by johnie: 12:29pm On Jun 06, 2013
Dis Guy: we go see train for august soo?

passed through costain (not too sure where this is but they sell goats etc there ) in march i saw some things built already

Any updates, Dis Guy?
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by gbanikiti(m): 2:12pm On Jun 06, 2013
johnie: Thanks Gbanikiti.

Kindly provide us with regular updates.
Yeah i will bro! cool
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by DisGuy: 10:41pm On Jun 06, 2013
johnie:

Any updates, Dis Guy?

unfortunately didn't move around much last time i was in Lagos

it's quite disappointing though, seems the project managers/sponsors dont feel the need to update
the citizens - no deadlines
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 5:18am On Jun 07, 2013
Dis Guy:

unfortunately didn't move around much last time i was in Lagos

it's quite disappointing though, seems the project managers/sponsors dont feel the need to update
the citizens - no deadlines

There are deadlines. Around a month and a half or 2 months ago the governor went on an inspection tour of projects. According to him, the projects he was inspecting are projects that had one problem/delay or the other and he took his entire team with him because he wanted to solve problems on the spot. Amongst the projects inspected were the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road, Badagry Expressway and some other projects that I can't remember at the moment.

At the Lekki Bridge he said the delay was caused by issues that had to do with the toll plaza and they were working to resolve those issues. At Ozumba Mbadiwe he said the contractor needed to access Bonny Camp to work on a drainage channel, but the army authorities were denying the contractor access to the channel (the army authorities have now allowed the contractor to work at Bonny Camp and the road work is scheduled to be completed by July). At Badagry Expressway he said that CCECC needed to complete work (piling, etc) before Julius Berger can start the second phase. He said that they had learnt from the first phase when Julius Berger started work before CCECC started its on part of the job and this affected progress. He said the first phase of the of the rail project (Orile - Mile 2) will be completed in June. So I expect to see trains running between Orile - Mile 2 by the end of this month. I passed there about 3 weeks ago. They were laying the tracks between Orile and Mile 2. There was a dummy train there which is being used to test the tracks.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by dayokanu(m): 5:25am On Jun 07, 2013
Well done Fashola
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by gbanikiti(m): 7:52am On Jun 07, 2013
naptu2:

There are deadlines. Around a month and a half or 2 months ago the governor went on an inspection tour of projects. According to him, the projects he was inspecting are projects that had one problem/delay or the other and he took his entire team with him because he wanted to solve problems on the spot. Amongst the projects inspected were the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road, Badagry Expressway and some other projects that I can't remember at the moment.

At the Lekki Bridge he said the delay was caused by issues that had to do with the toll plaza and they were working to resolve those issues. At Ozumba Mbadiwe he said the contractor needed to access Bonny Camp to work on a drainage channel, but the army authorities were denying the contractor access to the channel (the army authorities have now allowed the contractor to work at Bonny Camp and the road work is scheduled to be completed by July). At Badagry Expressway he said that CCECC needed to complete work (piling, etc) before Julius Berger can start the second phase. He said that they had learnt from the first phase when Julius Berger started work before CCECC started its on part of the job and this affected progress. He said the first phase of the of the rail project (Orile - Mile 2) will be completed in June. So I expect to see trains running between Orile - Mile 2 by the end of this month. I passed there about 3 weeks ago. They were laying the tracks between Orile and Mile 2. There was a dummy train there which is being used to test the tracks.
Is Julius Berger coming back to the road? I thought their contract has been terminated? with the presence of Julius Berger, the construction will be faster like the Orile and Mile 2 axis.
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 7:57am On Jun 07, 2013
gbanikiti: Is Julius Berger coming back to the road? I thought their contract has been terminated? with the presence of Julius Berger, the construction will be faster like the Orile and Mile 2 axis.

Yes. The governor said that Julius Berger, in their bid document, identified things that were underneath the road that even the government did not know were there. That's why they got the contract. However, this time, they want CCECC to finish their own portion of the rail project (piling, etc) before Julius Berger begins phase 2 of the road project (Mile 2 to Okokomaiko).
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by pheesayor(m): 11:02am On Jun 07, 2013
naptu2:

Yes. The governor said that Julius Berger, in their bid document, identified things that were underneath the road that even the government did not know were there. That's why they got the contract. However, this time, they want CCECC to finish their own portion of the rail project (piling, etc) before Julius Berger begins phase 2 of the road project (Mile 2 to Okokomaiko).

There has been clrearing, laying of drainage channels and even service-lane construction all done by CCECC from maza-maza to almost Alakija, Where will Julius berger come in here I'm confused
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by DisGuy: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
naptu2:

At Badagry Expressway he said that CCECC needed to complete work (piling, etc) before Julius Berger can start the second phase. He said that they had learnt from the first phase when Julius Berger started work before CCECC started its on part of the job and this affected progress. He said the first phase of the of the rail project (Orile - Mile 2) will be completed in June. So I expect to see trains running between Orile - Mile 2 by the end of this month. I passed there about 3 weeks ago. They were laying the tracks between Orile and Mile 2. There was a dummy train there which is being used to test the tracks.

any update ?
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 14, 2013
As at yesterday,there have been no improvement on that road.I don't know what CCECC is doing. I just hope Julius Berger will commence work on the other portion too and hasten the construction. Am sick and tired of passing that road and doing a lot of trekking just to beat traffic. angry
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by geeez: 5:12pm On Jul 14, 2013
berem: As at yesterday,there have been no improvement on that road.I don't know what CCECC is doing. I just hope Julius Berger will commence work on the other portion too and hasten the construction. Am sick and tired of passing that road and doing a lot of trekking just to beat traffic. angry

You make it seem as if nothing is going on there

The last time I drove through, just last Wednesday, work was going on
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 8:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
Fashola inspected the project today, but unfortunately I don't yet know what he said or what the status of the project is at the moment. Everything has been overshadowed by the APC flag waving ceremony and the Onitsha issue. I hope I'll be able to get more details in the papers tomorrow.
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 9:07pm On Aug 01, 2013
[size=14pt]Fashola promises speedy completion of light rail project.[/size]

Thursday, 01 August 2013 00:00 Editor Business Services - Business News

LAGOS State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, yesterday, said the state government was accelerating work on the first phase of the state`s light rail project to ensure speedy delivery.

Fashola told newsmen after inspecting ongoing work at the various project sites that contractors were working round the clock, to achieve the objective.

He said that work had reached an advanced stage on the construction of the sub-stations and tracks for the eventual take-off of train services had already been laid.

The governor urged residents to be patient as the government was doing everything to deliver the project.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that some of the sites inspected by Fashola included the Iganmu-Orile-Mile 2 and Abule-Osun sub-stations.

Fashola, in company of other government officials, also inspected rehabilitation work at the Mile 2 Jetty and ongoing work on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.

``We had promised on the rail project that the section from Costain to Mile 2 would be completed by the end of July.

``Progress has been made clearly, we have not finished but you can see that the rail project has advanced,`` he said.

The governor said the project, when completed, would not only move people from place-to-place conveniently, but also create jobs and other economic opportunities for residents.

According to him, the state government is rehabilitating no fewer than four state-owned ferries to complement services already being provided by private operators.

He said that when the repair was completed, it would provide subsidised ferry services to residents and boost the state`s inter-modal transport system.

On the 10-lane Lagos-Badagry Expressway project, the governor said contractors were accelerating work, to ensure speedy completion.

He said that the concrete meant for the drainage works had already been cast and asphalting on the road would start from September.

The governor urged residents to support the government by paying their taxes.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/business-news/128755-fashola-promises-speedy-completion-of-light-rail-project
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by DisGuy: 9:54am On Aug 02, 2013
Are nigerian journalists barred from taking pictures? there should be some stations already

Is there a website where the progress of this project can be followed?

still no timelines--just soon soon
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 9:56am On Aug 02, 2013
Dis Guy: Are nigerian journalists barred from taking pictures? there should be some stations already

Is there a website where the progress of this project can be followed?

still no timelines--just soon soon

O! I thought you've seen pictures of the stations.
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 9:59am On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]LRT[/size]

Marina before the rail project

Artist impression of Marina after the rail project is completed (BRT, LRT, ferry and regular bus services).

The Lagos Rail Transit (LRT) system will be similar to the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system in the sense that the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) will build and maintain the tracks, while the concessionaire will procure and maintain the trains.

Already, the concessionaire on the blue line has procured H5 and H6 subway cars from the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), a public transit operator based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, (as their transit operator is acquring its new articulated six-car fixed Toronto Rocket subway cars to replace the older cars). The cars have been refurbshed and converted to surface rail cars. Lagos State Government will build a dedicated independent power plant to provide electricity to the system.

Badagry Expressway before the rail project

Artist impression of Badagry Expressway after the rail project is completed (10 lanes +BRT & LRT)

The Blue Line.

The Lagos-Badagry Expressway is part of the abandoned Trans-African Highway project. However, it is prone to massive traffic jams. This has stunted development along that corridor since people don't want to live and work in that area because of the traffic problems.

Therefore, the Lagos State Government is expanding the road. It will be a 10 lane expressway with BRT and LRT routes. Julius Berger is expanding the road (so far they've expanded the road between Orile and Mile 2 and expanded the Mile 2 Bridge), while Chinese Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC) is laying the tracks. It's largely going to be an elevated rail system (CCECC has built part oof the bridge along the Orile axis and they are also building elevated stations from Orile too Mile 2).

Blue line stations will include:

1) Marina

2) Ebutte Ero

3) Iddo

4) National Theatre

5) Iganmu

6) Alaba

7) Mile 2

8 ) Festac

9) Alakija (Satellite Town)

10) Trade Fair Complex

11) Volkswagen

12) Lasu Gate

13) Okokomaiko.

Blue Line station map

Red Line stations include:

1) Marina

2) Ebutte Ero

3) Iddo

4) Ebutte Metta

5) Yaba

6) Jibowu

7) Mushin

8 ) Oshodi

9) Shogunle

10) Murtala Mohammed Airport (an arm of the line will branch off to the airport)

11) Ikeja

12) Agege

13) Iju

14) Agbado

Red Line station map

Lamata has proposed 7 lines. They are:

1) Blue line: Okokomaiko-Marina
2) Red Line: Agbado-MMIA-Marina
3) Green Line: Lekki Airport-Marina
4) Yellow Line: Otta-Iddo
5) Purple Line: Redeemed Camp-Ojo
6) Brown Line: Mile 12 - Marina
7) Orange Line: Redeemed Camp-Marina

LRT overall map

Construction

Construction of railway bridge

Mile 2 LRT station (under construction)

Rail bridge under construction.

Mile 2 Station (under construction)

Trains and carriages

Track and dummy trains

http://naijachronicles./2013/02/09/transportation-in-lagos-lrteko-rail/

From "History of Public Transportation in Lagos" https://www.nairaland.com/1218704/history-public-transportation-lagos
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 10:11am On Aug 02, 2013
Re: What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) by naptu2: 10:16am On Aug 02, 2013
The pictures above were taken before/around March 2013.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos To Build Inner City Roads This Year / HONOURABLE PATRICK Obahiagbon's Democracy Day Speech!!*** / Buhari Urges Peace In South-Sudan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.