Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,014 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? (1035 Views)

My Good Friend Has Slept With The Girl I Want To Marry, What Should I Do?‎ / Can You Still Be A Very Good Friend To Your Ex? / How Do You Tell A Girl That You Love Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by alosiby92(f): 10:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ok, so there is a guy I've been friends with for a while. . .problem is I now feel like I'm falling for him. . . and don't know whether or not to tell him as I have been hurt in the past (i.e afraid of rejection) . Any suggestions how to go about doing it? I'm also afraid it may ruin our friendship but at the same time seeing him with another girl drives me mad. Advice please NLanders!
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by DeBlunt: 11:07pm On Feb 15, 2012
depends on how matured he is, if he's matured enough then you have nothing to worry about.
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Felixjude(m): 12:02am On Feb 16, 2012
honestly need answers to dis thread cos am xatly in d same situation,spot on.
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 16, 2012
@ poster, Theres really no way around the chance of rejection. If you are serious about how you are feeling, then you could sit down with him and ask him if he would like to try dating. The possibility of rejection is just something you will have to prepare for and accept if it turns out that way. Would you rather deal with rejection or feeling love for someone that you are afraid to ever act on? Its your choice. Try to be positive no matter what happens. Good Luck!
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by omega25red(m): 1:31am On Feb 16, 2012
alosiby92:

Ok, so there is a guy I've been friends with for a while. . .problem is I now feel like I'm falling for him. . . and don't know whether or not to tell him as I have been hurt in the past (i.e afraid of rejection) . Any suggestions how to go about doing it? I'm also afraid it may ruin our friendship but at the same time seeing him with another girl drives me mad. Advice please NLanders!
few questions to ask yourself before you get up the courage to ask him out
does he have a girlfriend?
if he does you better keep your feelings to yourself because the chance of you being rejected are about 80%
if he doesn't have a girl, why hasn't he asked you out yet?
does he like you like that
have you guys talked about hooking up before?
what exactly do you like about him? is it the fact that you are single and he is with someone?

or you can just say F it and make a move by taking him out. Meaning you ask him out and take him out to talk and show your feelings for him.
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Killz3(m): 9:47am On Feb 16, 2012
alosiby92:

Aww. I know that feeling too.
You are not sure if you have fallen for him cos you said "I now feel like I'm falling for him". There is a difference between feelings. Some are surfaced, while some are deep rooted. Find out how exactly to compartmentalize those feelings, before you proceed. Are your feelings for him real? Or is it as a result of loneliness, or the need to feel "loved" and not "liked"? Be honest to yourself first my dear! smiley
Whether or not to tell him depends on the honest deductions and evaluations you have made within your self. Pls understand that a platonic friendship and a full blown relationship are miles apart in terms of similarity. Define what you really want. Where do you see yourself and this guy in the next couple of years? How are you going to cope with your academics? Are you really ready for a relationship, or is it really because of the time he spends with the other girl? If seeing him with another girl makes you mad, do you not think that's a sign of Jealousy? If it is, have you thought of ways to control your jealous feelings?
If you have answered the questions honestly, and you sincerely believe that the likeness you have for this guy may be equated to love, then you can tell him. Mind you, the fear of rejection remains. He could either say yes or no. If he says no, your friendship with him will never remain the same. You'll even be more hurt than you anticipated. Therefore, prepare your mind like i always do. Have a Plan B! Dont always expect things to pan out the way you planned them. You are here planning on how to tell him, but what if he honestly does not feel he same way about you? What do you do? Great disappointment comes when you were not expecting a particular line of action. Ask your self what's the worst thing that can happen to you if he says no, and start planning towards it, so that you will not feel the effects as much! It works for me. Dont be surprised that you wont feel bad if he does reject you. Put your self in a 50/50 position. . .
I have to admit that the friendship will not remain the same irrespective of whether he says yes or not. If he says yes, you are officially his girlfriend and you will expect him to minimize his friendship with those girls that drive you mad! What happens when you see him with other girls? How would you react? Are you really ready for this relationship? How will you react when you both argue, cos naturally, the optimism and level of confidence in a platonic friendship turned relationship is very high. They believe it will be happily ever after simply because they have been friends. . . Well, that notion is what? WRONG!!
Be ready! Be ready!! Be ready!!! I cant over emphasize that! Be emotionally ready! Since you cannot hold the feelings and you had to ask for help, by all means tell him! Tell him how you really feel about him, and make sure you let him understand that he is NOT under obligations to say yes just because you asked! You have to allow him make that choice too. it will be easier if he had previous feelings for you, but then, what if he didnt?

No two situations are the same, it depends on the level of effort you put in to make it work. I really hope it ends well, and in your favor. But if it doesnt, say to yourself "Life goes on". wink
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Mobinga: 9:53am On Feb 16, 2012
~Killz~:

Aww. I know that feeling too.
You are not sure if you have fallen for him cos you said "I now feel like I'm falling for him". There is a difference between feelings. Some are surfaced, while some are deep rooted. Find out how exactly to compartmentalize those feelings, before you proceed. Are your feelings for him real? Or is it as a result of loneliness, or the need to feel "loved" and not "liked"? Be honest to yourself first my dear! smiley
Whether or not to tell him depends on the honest deductions and evaluations you have made within your self. Pls understand that a platonic friendship and a full blown relationship are miles apart in terms of similarity. Define what you really want. Where do you see yourself and this guy in the next couple of years? How are you going to cope with your academics? Are you really ready for a relationship, or is it really because of the time he spends with the other girl? If seeing him with another girl makes you mad, do you not think that's a sign of Jealousy? If it is, have you thought of ways to control your jealous feelings?
If you have answered the questions honestly, and you sincerely believe that the likeness you have for this guy may be equated to love, then you can tell him. Mind you, the fear of rejection remains. He could either say yes or no. If he says no, your friendship with him will never remain the same. You'll even be more hurt than you anticipated. Therefore, prepare your mind like i always do. Have a Plan B! Dont always expect things to pan out the way you planned them. You are here planning on how to tell him, but what if he honestly does not feel he same way about you? What do you do? Great disappointment comes when you were not expecting a particular line of action. Ask your self what's the worst thing that can happen to you if he says no, and start planning towards it, so that you will not feel the effects as much! It works for me. Dont be surprised that you wont feel bad if he does reject you. Put your self in a 50/50 position. . .
I have to admit that the friendship will not remain the same irrespective of whether he says yes or not. If he says yes, you are officially his girlfriend and you will expect him to minimize his friendship with those girls that drive you mad! What happens when you see him with other girls? How would you react? Are you really ready for this relationship? How will you react when you both argue, cos naturally, the optimism and level of confidence in a platonic friendship turned relationship is very high. They believe it will be happily ever after simply because they have been friends. . . Well, that notion is what? WRONG!!
Be ready! Be ready!! Be ready!!! I cant over emphasize that! Be emotionally ready! Since you cannot hold the feelings and you had to ask for help, by all means tell him! Tell him how you really feel about him, and make sure you let him understand that he is NOT under obligations to say yes just because you asked! You have to allow him make that choice too. it will be easier if he had previous feelings for you, but then, what if he didnt?

No two situations are the same, it depends on the level of effort you put in to make it work. I really hope it ends well, and in your favor. But if it doesnt, say to yourself "Life goes on". wink

What an ldiot.

On a Thursday morning, at 09:47 AM, you sat down to write all that.

Don't you have a job and a life?
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Killz3(m): 9:56am On Feb 16, 2012
Mobinga:

What an ldiot.

On a Thursday morning, at  09:47 AM, you sat down to write all that.

Don't you have a job and a life?
And you quoted at 9:53 AM? Where's your job and life? SMH!
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 16, 2012
poster pls hav some respect for urself! Guys dnt normally keep silent wen they hav a soft spot for a lady! NEVER! It cud be dat u r nt pretty enuf to his taste of a gf, or he just wants u as a friend! Kill dat feelin of jealousy and remain friends wit him until he is man enuf to ask u out if he wants to! Shiooooo na so ur blood dey hot?
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by mobf: 11:37am On Feb 16, 2012
@ OP does he feel the same way about you? The onus is on you. if you can accept what ever his reaction'll be then you're good, it's a chance you have to take. But IMHO you should stick to being friends with him. Let HIM come to you, A guy should be able to read the signs and if he's smart he'll make the move
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Lexusgs430: 11:43am On Feb 16, 2012
If the other party is not dating anyone @ the moment, it is easier to declare your undying love. But if they are, it makes the situation a little bit difficult.
If the coast of clear, go ahead and state your case, if you cannot say in person, send a text message or ping, and keep your fingers crossed.
We only live once. Loving has to be 2 way street, you might never know, they might also be feeling the same way !!!!!!!
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by alosiby92(f): 3:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
He does not have a girlfriend. But most of you are right, if he feels the same, I should know by now.

Part of me feels like its him who should do the chasing and declaring feelings but I'm not sure if I should overlook his slowness and tell him first.
He probably still sees me as a friend and i should stop focusing on him and start focusing on my academics more.

@Killz, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Either way, don't think our friendship will be the same. I think I will write this off as infatuation and leave things the way they are till he makes a move. I'm not stupid and don't want to lose a really good friend. . .
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 16, 2012
The secret to finding true love is to feel free in life, take life easy, have fun, and just by chance or in the process of your catching fun, you will surely find true love, it doesn't always come by rules, or by following a particular advice, it comes by chance, by proxy, by luck, by whatever that's not rule or definite law, what worked for me, may not work for you, and being liberal might even expose you to your true love, it may come, and always come from where you least expected it, the places you desire it, it doesn't always come from such places, so be wise, better still, feel free and flex with him, flirt with him if you can, I believe any man would flow with a female flirt if and only if you're sure you're not the ugly, ugly, lolz, class, if not, why not?, lolz, generally, men love skirt, no matter his religious, spiritual, financial, social, political or whatever status, they all love skirt, so feel free and flex your life, flirt around carefully, most ladies and guys meet their true love that way, believe it or not, that's the best advice I can give, no rules!
Re: How Do You Tell A Good Friend You Might Be In Love With Them? by Agybabe(f): 4:32pm On Feb 16, 2012
Hmmm. I have been in your shoes once before. I tell you the truth, it's infatuation. That time ehn we walk and play like lovers. It was later I sat down and was having a re-think so I could know if what I am doing is real or fake, maybe it is lust, infatuation or admiration. Of course the jealousy aspect will come in when you see him with another. But my dear sis. I overcame all those feelings. Being friends was the best thing.

Another aspect is he may also feel the same way too. Except you want to play by African China's line - *if you love somebody, walk up to am and tell am you love am ehh, it's not a crime*. But either ways be ready and prepared to seeing either or both sides of the coin after the toss.

Goodluck!!!

(1) (Reply)

To The Guys, Ladies Also Invited! / Relationship Problems...... / Is There Anything That Could Warrant A Guy Beating Up His Girl Friend????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.