Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? (10447 Views)

Presidency Blames “budget Mafia” For Controversial Allocations In 2016 Budget. / The BBOG Movement In The Days Of GEJ And Buhari Compared Pics / State Allocations For May, 2013. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Afam4eva(m): 7:20pm On Feb 16, 2012
One person says it's based on land mass and another person says it's based on population. Which one are we going to believe?

And who says the south-east is the least populated place? I guess this is one of the gimmicks used to victimize the SE.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Osiris211: 7:24pm On Feb 16, 2012
This is true! Imo, Enugu, Anambra are all more populated than Bayelsa.

afam4eva:

One person says it's based on land mass and another person says it's based on population. Which one are we going to believe?

And who says the south-east is the least populated place? I guess this is one of the gimmicks used to victimize the SE.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Afam4eva(m): 7:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
Osiris.211:

This is true! Imo, Enugu, Anambra are all more populated than Bayelsa.

Bayelsa is a core oil producing state.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by sheyguy: 7:29pm On Feb 16, 2012
afam4eva:

its a combination of both, u don't priortize two state with equal land mass but with different  population equally. Lagos has a small land mass but the highest population density. The whole aim is to impact the people more
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ektbear: 7:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
how did this thread end up being another yoruba/igbo wahala
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Afam4eva(m): 7:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
ekt_bear:

how did this thread end up being another yoruba/igbo wahala

It hasn't.  Even sheyguy is being civil.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by dayokanu(m): 7:36pm On Feb 16, 2012
Show us the Nigerian population and lets see how the SE stands
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by sheyguy: 7:39pm On Feb 16, 2012
afam4eva:

It hasn't.  Even sheyguy is being civil.
if a master like you is, who am i on NL not to behave myself ? . . .
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by reporter1: 8:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
There is no conspiracy going on in revenue allocation.

The revenue sharing formula base is the same for all states regardless if a state is oil producing or not.  Factors like population, land mass, and the number of local governments determine the final outcome. The number of LG's in a State to a great extent influences the final outcome since States with large number of LGs will get more allocation.

Oil producing States get additional 13 percent derivative of whatever is sourced from their State. States like Edo and Abia  even though are designated as oil producing states, their oil contribution is minimal. From top to lowest, the major oil producers are Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, and Ondo. Rivers and Akwa Ibom swap positions every now and then.

The overall sharing formula is:
Federal Government 52.68 percent;
States 26.72 percent;
LG 20. 60 percent

The North that you vilified does not get much allocation if you consider their land mass and population. The problem is the FG getting the lion share without doing jack for the populace.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 8:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
reporter?:

There is no conspiracy going on in revenue allocation.

The revenue sharing formula base is the same for all states regardless if a state is oil producing or not.  Factors like population, land mass, and the number of local governments determine the final outcome. The number of LG's in a State to a great extent influences the final outcome since States with large number of LGs will get more allocation.

Oil producing States get additional 13 percent derivative of whatever is sourced from their State. States like Edo and Abia  even though are designated as oil producing states, their oil contribution is minimal. From top to lowest, the major oil producers are Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, and Ondo. Rivers and Akwa Ibom swap positions every now and then.

The overall sharing formula is:
Federal Government 52.68 percent;
States 26.72 percent;
LG 20. 60 percent

The North that you vilified does not get much allocation if you consider [b]their land mass [/b]and population. The problem is the FG getting the lion share without doing jack for the populace.

Only in Nigeria would "land mass" be used to allocate resources anywhere in the world. So, if you have a huge land mass but produce and contribute little with it, you are justified to get more allocation that someone with less land who contribute more? I cannot even remember when Nigeria ever conducted a credible census. I also guess that the local governments are created based on these illogical factors.
This is part of why I believe that the core North and their southern cronies like you still rule Nigeria. This is also why one can argue strongly that the civil war has not ended.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by dayokanu(m): 8:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
If you also see how vacant most SE states are you wonder what they need the allocation for

land mass hardly feature as a consideration cos massive states like Taraba, Adamawa, Nasarawa(each of them bigger than the whole SE region) etc are still in the lower rungs of states

If you take out oil producing states, the allocation goes like which almost mirrors the Population by state

Lagos
Kano
Katsina
Oyo

1 Lagos State 9,013,534
2 Kano State 9,383,682
3 Kaduna State 6,066,562
4 Katsina State 5,792,578
5 Oyo State 5,591,589
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
sheyguy:

if a master like you is, who am i on NL not to behave myself ? . . .

Lmao Good Reply. You caught the condescension in his statement. "EVEN Sheyguy. . . "
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Afam4eva(m): 8:49pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Dayokanu
Have you ever been to the south-east? You talk as if you've lived there. The south-east is one of the most densely populated places in Africa. I still don't get how many states apart from Lagos and probably Kano will be more populated than Anambra for example.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by dayokanu(m): 8:52pm On Feb 16, 2012
I have only been to Enugu once some years back when the ANAMCO plant there was my client and I didnt stay beyond a week

National population Census states otherwise.

Or do you expect revenue allocators to judge by the amount of people they perceive lives in those places?

Its left to your governors to do something.

In Lagos I remember the last Census, Tinubu conducted a parallel census so that the govt figures wont deviate from it significantly

Its either corrected from the Census or it stays that way
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 8:52pm On Feb 16, 2012
afam4eva:

@Dayokanu
Have you ever been to the south-east? You talk as if you've lived there. The south-east is one of the most densely populated places in Africa. I still don't get how many states apart from Lagos and probably Kano will be more populated than Anambra for example.

The most laughable thing about it is that a state like Katsina is listed as more populated then Anambra. I'm laughing.

I maintain that there has never been any credible census post independence in Nigeria.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by dayokanu(m): 8:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^ Then do something about the population, has any of your governors come out to complain about it
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 8:56pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

^^ Then do something about the population, has any of your governors come out to complain about it

I cannot fault that line of question. All I can say to that is GOOD QUESTION. cool

I hate complaining all the time.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 8:59pm On Feb 16, 2012
What stops all the states in the SE (or any state for that matter) from conducting parallel census and armed with them approach the federal legislature for action?
Now, I have to say that I cannot be sure that it would change anything, but it would be a starting point for further action.
Constant complaining changes little.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by sheyguy: 9:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
Onlytruth:

The most laughable thing about it is that a state like Katsina is listed as more populated then Anambra. I'm laughing.

I maintain that there has never been any credible census post independence in Nigeria.
have u seen the map of Nigeria in the last 20yrs? I strongly believe with u ve not with ur post above.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 9:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
sheyguy:

have u seen the map of Nigeria in the last 20yrs? I strongly believe with u ve not with ur post above.

Obviously you are among those who believe that land mass =population

Wrong .
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ektbear: 9:51pm On Feb 16, 2012
When did high population density = high population?

Recall that the entire SE zone is about the size of Oyo State
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by dayokanu(m): 10:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
Onlytruth:

I cannot fault that line of question. All I can say to that is GOOD QUESTION. cool

I hate complaining all the time.

It goes back to what I have always said. SE should embrace APGA that would fight for their interest.

In 2006 for example all SW states except lagos were under PDP and none of the governors could challenege the census figure or even run a parallel census maybe in conjuction with a UN body like UNDP(to give credibility)

The other SW governors didnt want to challenge their own party which is at the center and whether you like it or not PDP wuld always cater to the dictates of his owners
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 16, 2012
Anyone notice OnlytellsliesTruth is starting to behave himself on any thread I appear on all the threads like the good boy hes supposed to be?

Next beast to be tamed, the hateful Dede1.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ak47mann(m): 12:06am On Feb 17, 2012
Nigeria is not a country, it runs by thief's and parasite including genocide's  is a waste of both human and natural resources i believe in Europe Greece is bigger than England in land mass,but England in lending them more money so that they wont starve,now  Greek people are queuing to get bread and milk austerity don set in.Same thing will happen in Nigeria when everbody answer their papa name both parasites and the owners of the wealth cool

Nonsense who is deceiving who cool
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ektbear: 12:08am On Feb 17, 2012
ak47mann:

Nigeria is not a country, it runs by thief's and parasite including geneticist is a waste of both human and naturaral resoucers i belive in europe grecce is bigger than E

Can you translate this into English please?
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ak47mann(m): 12:14am On Feb 17, 2012
^^ IS the PC sometime it send reply without my concern cool
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ektbear: 12:46am On Feb 17, 2012
hah ok, no worries then.

My laptop acts funny too sometimes when I'm running ubuntu, mouse sometimes bounces around randomly.
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by ak47mann(m): 12:54am On Feb 17, 2012
ekt_bear:

hah ok, no worries then.

My laptop acts funny too sometimes when I'm running ubuntu, mouse sometimes bounces around randomly.
wink wink cheesy
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 1:05am On Feb 17, 2012
kingoflag:

Anyone notice OnlytellsliesTruth is starting to behave himself on any thread I appear on all the threads like the good boy hes supposed to be?

Next beast to be tamed, the hateful Dede1.

My friend I have two questions for you.

How old are you?

How long have you been on Nairaland?

If you answer the first question honestly, and you are more than 18 (which would be very sad indeed!) , then watch out because you will DEFINITELY be killed by your putrid and suicidal mouth. A lot of your type get shot dead by "akata" before they turn 30. Soon we will hear your obituary here.  cool

If you answer the second question honestly, you would know that you are too new here to know me. Ask your "senior" yoruba brothers here. They all know me. Else, you may be an older poster with a new name, which makes you even a more miserable cowardly ideeot, or a complete slowpoke with some kind of a learning disorder.

You are DESPERATE for my attention. Everyone can see. Problem is I DON'T HAVE TIME to waste. Can't you see? Freaking binch.  cool
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by naijaking1: 1:18am On Feb 17, 2012
The day we stop revenue sharing is the day Nigeria will start developing and reducing corruption. People, companies, Local governments, and states should maintain their federal government with taxes, not the other way round embarassed
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by Onlytruth(m): 1:22am On Feb 17, 2012
ekt_bear:

hah ok, no worries then.

hehehe! It is me hacking you bro!  wink  cheesy cheesy cheesy just kiddin'
You need a few lessons on Ubuntu.  cool
Re: South East Gets Lowest Allocations Compared With to the North, Why? by DuduNegro: 1:32am On Feb 17, 2012
Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Chapter VI
The Executive

D - The Public Service of the Federation
Part III

Supplemental

A - National Population Census

213. (1) Any report of the National Population Commission containing the population census after every census shall be delivered to the President by the Chairman of the commission .

(2) The President shall within a period of thirty days after receipts of the report lay copies of the report before the Council of State, which shall consider the report and advise the President whether to accept it or reject it.

(3) Where the Council of State advises the President to accept the report, the President shall accept the same and shall then lay the report on the table of each House of the National Assembly.

(4) Where the President accept such report and has laid it on the table of each House of the National Assembly he shall publish it in the official Gazette of the Government of the Federation for public information.

(5) Where the Council of State advises the president to reject upon the ground-

(a) that the population census contained in the report is inaccurate; or

(b) that the report is perverse,

the President shall reject the report accordingly and no reliance shall be placed upon any such report by any authority or person or for any purpose what so ever.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Opon Imo Wins UN Award Of E-learning, Creativity And Education In Estonia / No Student Will Drop Out Again, Says Tinubu / We Never Congratulated David Mark – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.