Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! (15410 Views)

Speaking In Unknown Tongues (part 1). / TB Joshua On Leadership Newspaper Interview: I Never Spoke With Anyone / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by buzugee(m): 1:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
and how come when people speak in tongues they all sound the same ? shambalalalalalala shocked grin
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 23, 2012
rabiurabiurabiurabiurabiurabiurabiu alialialialialialialialialialiali okeokeokeokeokeokeokeokeoke kpamgoloololojojojojlojojollof rababareiuroeidkslsiekelelllelelelelelelele mimimimimm toooooooooo rororororobbobobobobobo shikiooskshioolshioolsh drogbababababababbababba sheeeevvvvvhhhcccccenkkkkooooooo agugugugugugeorrororororororororo, The Lord Says,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Lord says,

IT SHALL BE WELL WITH THE POSTER
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by manny4life(m): 2:03pm On Feb 23, 2012
@OP, like seriously, I believe few people have answered your questions. The Bible does have record of where the disciples did speak in tongues.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by jude33084(m): 2:20pm On Feb 23, 2012
@illuminati: if u want attention, pls just put on a short skirt and a lagos jump shirt, stay along 3rd mainland bridge and pose, i am sure u wil have alot of attentn instead using your mouth to kill yourself by yourself.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by jude33084(m): 2:22pm On Feb 23, 2012
@illuminati: if u want attention, pls just put on a short skirt and a lagos jump shirt, stay along 3rd mainland bridge and pose, i am sure u wil have alot of attentn instead using your mouth to kill yourself by yourself.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by stildude(m): 2:26pm On Feb 23, 2012
[b]''This is carnal, and not in any way related to the gift of tongues at Pentecost which was used to relay the Gospel to lost sinners.  When Abraham was old, he sent his eldest servant, Eleazar, back to his native land to find a Christian wife for Isaac.   Eleazar took with him, as gifts, many expensive items and ten camels, and set out for Mesopotamia.  Notice that the PURPOSE of the the "gifts" was to bring back a BRIDE for Isaac.  If Eleazar would have come back without the bride, he would have failed.  This is a good illustration of how foolish Charismatics are today.  Pentecostals make the gifts an END in themselves''[/b]Many contributors here have observed your diabolical motives in creating this discourse. Many intelligent replies have been  given, However, I want to quickly reply to the boldened. In Acts 1: 8, it stated that you shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost has come upon you. Speaking in tongues, contrary to what you see or feel does not denote the end for true worshippers which the Bible says must worship God in Spirit and in Truth. Signs and wonders are common phenomena in pentecostal body today because of the empowerment of the Holy Spirit which is evident in Speaking in unknown tongues or language. Their spiritual man is edified or empowered to perform exploits which include signs and wonders and boldness in evangelism which enlarges the kingdom. Since you argue from the view point of philosophy and theology, I would like to recommend a book - God's General to you. Some of the workers of powerful acts in that book fought or resisted the teaching or experience of tongues until they were overwhelmed. Example is Smith Wiggolsworth whose wife accepted the gift before he did. After the tongue experience by Smith, signs and wonders became ordinary in his life.

Also, the poster mentioned immitating some things in the bible and leaving other things out. Let me tell you that latter rain christians are to perform more than what were written in the Bible. Jesus siad that greater works shall we do. I tell you with the new order of baptism of fire or outpouring of the Holy Ghost termed the 'the rain' Men have become gods here on earth.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Sweatshirt: 2:26pm On Feb 23, 2012
Speaking in tongues is just speaking another language. Yes, quote bible verses but the bible has a reputation for contradicting itself.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by modele2: 2:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
Interesting, i realy read every thing posted but this made an interesting read.

Am certain its a gift given by the holy spirit both unknown and known(so poster is mistaken), and also certain that some people fake it, peharps thats the angle the poster is comming from.

I attended a crusade many years back, of a now thriving and big church somewhere in ikeja. i will not mention the name here. i dont believe in slander. After the crusade new members were welcomed, we filled some forms e.t.c, then they set out in groups to pray for us individually,,,,,the aim of the prayer was so we would repent and speak in tounges.

i was much younger and so badly wanted to speak in tounges, i tot it was so special, with an open heart and mind i put myself into the spirit of the prayer. At a point the lady went, 'just open your mind and say anything, anything at all that comes into your mind, spew, speaketh, just say any thing' and she was skabashing all the way. When the prayer seemed to drag for ever, I said a few boboboske, whatever so the lady felt triuphant that her work was done and the prayer stoped with her thanking our Lord for giving me the gift.   I was so disgusted.

I dislike self deciet, i hate decieving people not to talk of myself. how will i just begin to say anything ,,,,,was that their definition of tounges. to mumble mumbo jumbo. Well i never went to that church again and lost alot of respect for people that supposedly had that gift, becos i realised that some might just be 'saying anything'.

Till today unfortunately or rather sadly, i have still not got that gift(though i would love to) but 1 cor 14 gives me comfort that there are other more important things in christianity, tounge speaking is not a burining issue. i should focus on the gifts the holy spirit has given me and make the best of them.

We forget the same paul also said he would rather we remain like him UNMARRIED so we would have time for the things of God. Celibacy is also special like gifts of tounges, but not every one can have it.

PEACE peeps
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 23, 2012
modele2:

Am certain its a gift given by the holy spirit both unknown and known(so poster is mistaken), and also certain that some people fake it, peharps thats the angle the poster is comming from.

I attended a crusade many years back, of a now thriving and big church somewhere in ikeja. i will not mention the name here. i dont believe in slander. After the crusade new members were welcomed, we filled some forms e.t.c, then they set out in groups to pray for us individually,,,,,the aim of the prayer was so we would repent and speak in tounges.

i was much younger and so badly wanted to speak in tounges, i tot it was so special, with an open heart and mind i put myself into the spirit of the prayer. At a point the lady went, 'just open your mind and say anything, anything at all that comes into your mind, spew, speaketh, just say any thing' and she was skabashing all the way. When the prayer seemed to drag for ever, I said a few boboboske, whatever so the lady felt triuphant that her work was done and the prayer stoped with her thanking our Lord for giving me the gift.   I was so disgusted.

I dislike self deciet, i hate decieving people not to talk of myself. how will i just begin to say anything ,,,,,was that their definition of tounges. to mumble mumbo jumbo. Well i never went to that church again and lost alot of respect for people that supposedly had that gift, becos i realised that some might just be 'saying anything'.

Till today unfortunately or rather sadly, i have still not got that gift(though i would love to) but 1 cor 14 gives me comfort that there are other more important things in christianity, tounge speaking is not a burining issue. i should focus on the gifts the holy spirit has given me and make the best of them.

We forget the same paul also said he would rather we remain like him UNMARRIED so we would have time for the things of God. Celibacy is also special like gifts of tounges, but not every one can have it.

PEACE peeps
interesting,
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Skii(m): 2:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
modele2:

Am certain its a gift given by the holy spirit both unknown and known[b](so poster is mistaken)[/b], and also certain that some people fake it, peharps thats the angle the poster is comming from.

PEACE peeps

Nice write up but I disagree slightly with you on the bolded. I dont know about the posters motive but according to the "title of the topic" (tautology), the poster is right,,,NO ONE SPOKE IN UNKNOWN TONGUES IN THE BIBLE!!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by stildude(m): 2:58pm On Feb 23, 2012
modele2:

PEACE peeps

I quiet agree with you that some people just say anything just to look grown or visited by the holy Ghost in church settings. However, The person that speaks in tongues speaks myseries. If you are trying to make some sense out of what you speak or hear others speak, you may never receive the gift of tongues. The lady in question as you mentioned asked you guys to open your mind. I think, she was trying to lead you to the place of receiving. Like babies, if you don't attempt to speak, you may never speak. A baby does not wait to understand a language before babbling it out. You, not having received the gift may also have to do with your mindset or belief. Some people are waiting to see cloven tongues, mighty rushing wind, or dove before they believe they have the gift. Though at times there experiences may be gotten, they are not always the norm. It is not for you to understand what you are speaking as it is not unto men but unto God. I believe from your post that you are a matured christian. You should know that the spirit prays through us when we speak in unknown tongues what we nowadays call praying in the Holy Ghost. Refer to Romans 8:26.
Cheers!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by TallOrder: 3:07pm On Feb 23, 2012
dilluminati don vermoose! grin
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Goshen360(m): 3:11pm On Feb 23, 2012
Waiting like the man at the pool of Bethesda so i can jump into the water.

Lo and behold while I was about jumping into the water, another man jumped into the water for whoever first jump into the water after the Angel of the Lord had stirred up the water is made whole of whatsoever infirmity.

While I was waiting, Jesus the son of the Living God knowing I have being waiting for a very long time said unto me, "Do you want to be made whole?" I said unto him, I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.

Then Jesus said to me, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk" Immediately, I picked up my mat and walked.

WHEN GOD IS ASKING A QUESTION, HE IS NOT LOOKING FOR INFORMATION. A SIMPLE ANSWER WILL DO THE MIRACLE.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Skii(m): 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
Please stop judging the poster o

Jesus didn't come to condemn the world but to save the world. If you have anything to say, do so in love!!

Some responses hear sound like those of the Pharisees when Jesus said He was God. To them, it appeared like blasphemy and they felt offended and thought it their duty as "custodians of the law" to put him in His place. The book of John tells that some pharisees even believed but were afraid to acknowledge publicly for fear of being thrown out of the synagogue.

The Jews and the Law

Romans 2:17-24

17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

The truth is that some of us are silently confused about the topic of speaking in tongues

The poster identifies a point that no one spoke in unknown tongues in the bible. YES!!
On the day of Pentecost, the tongues spoken were understood by people of different nations. What the poster might need to be pointed to, as has been done by some other posters is that Paul acknowledges that speaking in unknown tongues can be confusing to others around you. If you must do so, then let there be people that can interpret it!

dontalk:

Speaking in tongues is not a must for every christian but Paul(1 Corinth14) wished that ALL should speak in tongues. Out of the diverse kinds of tongue ,we have the known and the unknown tongues. A believer can speak in a known tongue,ie a language he cannot understand but which is spoken in the world--- I 've had a testimony of an old uneducated woman believer who spoke in 'pure' English in a congregation thereby startling the audience, after which an invited unbelieving  university professor in the meeting accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour. Then you have the 'Unknown' tongues which you and any other human being on earth CANNOT understand ,though God ,sometimes can interpret the meaning through another human entity. This is the language that only God understands,which we are all encouraged to speak. And you don't have control over it.  I REST MY CASE!

God bless!

He (Paul) also acknowledges that there is another type of tongues, the one only understood by the Spirit. That one is between you and God!! It does happen, when you are truly and genuinely overcome by the Spirit. There need not be understanding of what you are saying because it is from the Spirit

1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1 Corinthians 14:14
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Scientific perspectives
Neuroscience
In 2006, at the University of Pennsylvania, researchers, under the direction of Andrew Newberg, MD, completed the world's first brain-scan study of a group of Pentecostal Practitioners while they were speaking in tongues. Newberg found that the brain responds very differently than when nuns pray or Buddhists meditate. Several significant findings were identified. First, although the practitioners spoke in a coherent language-like way, activity in the language centers of the brain actually decreased, which raises the question of where the language was coming from. This suggests that the brain contains other unidentified language circuits.

In this form of spiritual practice, Pentecostal practitioners temporarily suspend their system of beliefs (generated by frontal lobe activity, which decreases during glossolalia). This is similar to how creativity works in the brain; we basically enter altered states of consciousness, and this gives us a new perception of the world.
This could point to having a premonition etc

Other differences were found: Pentecostalists maintain a sense of God's otherness, whereas Eastern meditation traditions dissolve the self/other sense. Those practitioners tend to feel "at one" with the universe or God (the parietal lobe activity decreases). The emotional strength of glossolalic experiences also would leave a lasting imprint on the brain. In essence, different forms of prayer and meditation allow for different experiences of the world, reality, and the ultimate nature of God or the universe.

The brain scans also showed a permanent unusual asymmetry in thalamic activity, which was also found in Newberg's scans of nuns and Buddhists. This supports the theory that either intensive prayer permanently alters the brain, or that people with an abnormally functioning thalamus are more prone to having spiritual/religious experiences. It also suggests that intensive focusing on any idea stimulates a series of circuits in the brain that turn the object of contemplation into a physical reality. The study will published in the journal PSYCHIATRY: NEUROIMAGING in the fall of 2006, and is fully described in Newberg's book, WHY WE BELIEVE WHAT WE BELIEVE. Newberg is Associate Professor, Departments of Radiology and Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania and Staff Physician, Division of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System.

It is true however that some churches have taken the act and bastardised it.

Quote from modele2

Quote from denitro
The poster is right,
Speaking in tongues is one of the easiest of God's gift for satan to imitate.

Again Romans 2:24

24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

And to sum the issue up

from modele2

PEACE peeps

Here lies the end and truth of the matter!!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by TallOrder: 3:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
Sweatshirt:

Speaking in tongues is just speaking another language. Yes, quote bible verses but the bible has a reputation for contradicting itself.

That depends on the mindset you're reading the Bible with. To the unlearned and uninitiated, it may appear contradictory. I even once thought so myself. But I know now that the Bible is not.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Acelifted: 3:22pm On Feb 23, 2012
I can see people are enjoying this topic, usually controversial. There is enough evidence from the thread (Bible verses in KJV) to support the fact that the apostles and early Christians spoke in "unknown" tongues. It was called unknown because the natural human mind cannot fathom it. 'Unknown Tongues' is a gift to the body of Christ - a very lethal weapon for Christians against the devil , now you know why he is fighting it, even on nairaland. whether you believe it or not, the truth remains the truth and you will answer to this truth somewhere down the road of your life, here or there.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by TallOrder: 3:35pm On Feb 23, 2012
modele2:

PEACE peeps

Modele, you can exercise your faith and claim the gift of tongue. you only need to open your mouth, and the Lord will fill it. I never believed I had the gift until I open my mouth in faith. It was a great day in my christian life.

The belief I had before was that speaking in tongues was not under my control. you see, "the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophet." you can find that in 1 Corinthians 14: 32 as well.

These gifts are there for edifying the saints, but you have to exercise your faith in receiving them.

God bless
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by frevangel(m): 3:51pm On Feb 23, 2012
1 Corinthians 2:1-16
(1)  And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
(2)  For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
(3)  And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
(4)  And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
(5)  That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
(6)  Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
(7)  But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
(cool  Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
(9)  But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
(10)  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
(11)  For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
(12)  Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
(13)  Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
(14)  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
(15)  But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
(16)  For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:1
(1)  Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

1 Corinthians 12:31
(31)  But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1 Corinthians 13:1-2
(1)  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
(2)  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

1 Corinthians 14:1-34
(1)  Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
(2)  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
(3)  But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
(4)  He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
(5)  I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
(6)  Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
(7)  And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
(cool  For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
(9)  So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
(10)  There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
(11)  Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
(12)  Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
(13)  Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
(14)  For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
(15)  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
(16)  Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
(17)  For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
(18)  I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
(19)  Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
(20)  Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
(21)  In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
(22)  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
(23)  If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
(24)  But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
(25)  And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
(26)  How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
(27)  If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
(28)  But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
(29)  Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
(30)  If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
(31)  For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
(32)  And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
(33)  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
(34)  Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

I would like to take us back to the context of Paul's teaching. You remeber that in the original scrolls, the Bible is not written in chapters and verses. Therefore, Paul's case here did not start from chapter 13 or 14 but actually from chapter one. I would like you to backup to chapter 2, where Paul started with the arguement that the things of the Spirit CANNOT be explained by NATURAL PHILOSOPHIES or RATIONALIZATION or COMMON SENSE depends on what you want to call it.
My first response to people who argue about speaking in unknown tongues is that, the fact that you cant explain it means you are quite on track. In short if you can explain how it works its definitely not the real deal. Its like trying to explain the virgin birth!
IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED (OR BE BAPTIZED IN) THE HOLY SPIRIT, its very difficult explaining it to you except you are asking to learn not like diluminati and others who are actually trying to discredit the teaching.

Secondly, Paul's case wasnt about whether or not we should speak in tongues but the reason and motive behind speaking in tongues (as well as other spiritual activities). Paul was teaching about LOVE, PURPOSE AND ORDER in the church! It was an issue of people been disorderly! I bet you the way many churches pray in English or known languages today, if Paul was around he would have preached the same message.

Thirdly, Paul differentiated between SPEAKING IN TONGUES, TO GOD and TO MEN.
When you SPEAK TO GOD, no one understands you (Ch 14:2 - you don't explain to everybody what you said to God in prayer, do you?), this also include you not understanding it (Ch 14:14). But when you are passing a message to a congregation or person, you need to either speak in a language the person understands, or interpret, or have an interpreter so that the person would be communicated to and be blessed(Ch 14:9,13,16,19). It's like a foreign preacher coming to a community with different dialect. When he prays to God, he doesn't need to interpret his prayer to everybody for that is between him and God, but when God gives him a message to the people, he has to get an interpreter so that the people can understand and be blessed.

Fourthly, I want all of you to think about this: what dialect does God speak? He certainly doesn't speak English for He is not English. Every people in every Nation pray to God in their dialect but God understands them, including prayers from "Deaf and Dumb" folks. This is one of the wonders of God! When the Disciples spoke in tongues in Acts 2, they where not speaking the language of the people there, but God opened the understanding of the people such that THEY HEARD THE DISCIPLES IN THEIR OWN DIALECT, NOT NECESSARILY THAT THE DISCIPLES SPOKE THEIR LANGUAGE, BUT THEY UNDERSTOOD IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE WHAT THEY PRAYED.

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5  And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7  And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8  And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Taking a good look at the scripture above, from the last three verses, it shows that several folks from different dialects heard the same person in his own dialect. When each man listen to a person praying, he hears in his own dialect! What simply happened was that God wanted to pass a message to them that day he granted them understanding of what the Disciples where praying in unknown tongues, and He did! Glory to God!!!! Its like the way God understands everyone of us when we pray, irrespective of the dialect used.

Before you start arguing this, remember the Tower of Babel? In Genesis 11, God made the people who spoke same dialect such that when one family speak, another family couldn't understand them just so He could stop them from building that Tower! What God did there was to close their understanding withing groups to forestall their cooperation. In the case of Acts 2 it was the reverse, He granted understanding to be able to pass on the message of Jesus Christ!

In conclusion, i would like to say, praying in tongues in public places when you are not speaking to anyone but God can be 'quiet'. I pray in tongues and used to disturb all of my neighbours when i was younger (both in age and spiritually). But I am more organized now.
It is the same thing with praying in a known language. You don't have to scream before God can hear you. You can be orderly and 'quiet' and still make impact. Infact, I think the more you scream, the more distracted you are in prayer. When I am broken in spirit, I find it difficult to shout.
Remember when Jesus prayed in the Garden, He sobbed and mumbled words under His breath in agony for the task ahead.

There is a time to scream in prayer, but its not that if you don't God will not hear you. Whether you are praying in tongues or in a known language there should be orderliness in the presence of God. The devil doesn't obey you because you scream but because you pray in faith and authority, whether or not you scream or just said it softly!

THE BOTTOM LINE IS PRAY WITH LOVE, FAITH, PURPOSE AND ORDERLINESS!!!! NOT WITH MALICE, HATRED, VENGEFULNESS, ENVY, PRIDE, CONFUSION, ARROGANCE AND SUCH ATTITUDES!!!

Finally, until you start praying in tongues you would never understand the joy and fulfilment it brings to your spirit when you do.

My prayer for you is that God would open your understanding to this truth and others as well that would make your Christian walk a delightful one this year 2012 and beyond.

God bless you!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Goshen360(m): 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2012
fr_evangel:

Secondly, Paul's case wasnt about whether or not we should speak in tongues but the reason and motive behind speaking in tongues (as well as other spiritual activities). Paul was teaching about LOVE, PURPOSE AND ORDER in the church! It was an issue of people been disorderly! I bet you the way many churches pray in English or known languages today, if Paul was around he would have preached the same message.

Thirdly, Paul differentiated between SPEAKING IN TONGUES, TO GOD and TO MEN.
When you SPEAK TO GOD, no one understands you (Ch 14:2 - you don't explain to everybody what you said to God in prayer, do you?), this also include you not understanding it (Ch 14:14). But when you are passing a message to a congregation or person, you need to either speak in a language the person understands, or interpret, or have an interpreter so that the person would be communicated to and be blessed(Ch 14:9,13,16,19). It's like a foreign preacher coming to a community with different dialect. When he prays to God, he doesn't need to interpret his prayer to everybody for that is between him and God, but when God gives him a message to the people, he has to get an interpreter so that the people can understand and be blessed.

Fourthly, I want all of you to think about this: what dialect does God speak? He certainly doesn't speak English for He is not English. Every people in every Nation pray to God in their dialect but God understands them, including prayers from "Deaf and Dumb" folks. This is one of the wonders of God! When the Disciples spoke in tongues in Acts 2, they where not speaking the language of the people there, but God opened the understanding of the people such that THEY HEARD THE DISCIPLES IN THEIR OWN DIALECT, NOT NECESSARILY THAT THE DISCIPLES SPOKE THEIR LANGUAGE, BUT THEY UNDERSTOOD IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE WHAT THEY PRAYED.

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5  And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7  And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8  And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Taking a good look at the scripture above, from the last three verses, it shows that several folks from different dialects heard the same person in his own dialect. When each man listen to a person praying, he hears in his own dialect! What simply happened was that God wanted to pass a message to them that day he granted them understanding of what the Disciples where praying in unknown tongues, and He did! Glory to God!!!! Its like the way God understands everyone of us when we pray, irrespective of the dialect used.

Before you start arguing this, remember the Tower of Babel? In Genesis 11, God made the people who spoke same dialect such that when one family speak, another family couldn't understand them just so He could stop them from building that Tower! What God did there was to close their understanding withing groups to forestall their cooperation. In the case of Acts 2 it was the reverse, He granted understanding to be able to pass on the message of Jesus Christ!

In conclusion, i would like to say, praying in tongues in public places when you are not speaking to anyone but God can be 'quiet'. I pray in tongues and used to disturb all of my neighbours when i was younger (both in age and spiritually). But I am more organized now.

There is a time to scream in prayer, but its not that if you don't God will not hear you. Whether you are praying in tongues or in a known language there should be orderliness in the presence of God. The devil doesn't obey you because you scream but because you pray in faith and authority, whether or not you scream or just said it softly!

THE BOTTOM LINE IS PRAY WITH LOVE, FAITH, PURPOSE AND ORDERLINESS!!!! NOT WITH MALICE, HATRED, VENGEFULNESS, ENVY, PRIDE, CONFUSION, ARROGANCE AND SUCH ATTITUDES!!!

[b]Finally, until you start praying in tongues you would never understand the joy and fulfilment it brings to your spirit when you do.[/b]

My prayer for you is that God would open your understanding to this truth and others as well that would make your Christian walk a delightful one this year 2012 and beyond.

God bless you!

I KNEW SOMEBODY WILL DEFINITELY SPEAK THE MIND AND BIBLICAL TRUTH ON THIS SUBJECT. YOU HAVE REALLY SPOKEN BIBLICAL TRUTH AND NOT ONLY THAT, YOU INCLUDED THE MIND OF GOD. MANY CHRISTIANS ARE JUST CONFUSED ABOUT SPIRITUAL THINGS. WE KNOW THESE THINGS BUT MIS-USE IT. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO GIVE YOU SOME DOLLARS BUT I KNOW GOD WILL RATHER REWARD YOU MORE THAN DOLLARS I WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU. WHAT HAPPENED IN ACTS OF THE APOSTLES IS DIFFERENT FROM PRAYING IN TONGUES, SPEAKING MYSTERIES UNTO GOD. PEOPLE JUST CONFUSED SIMPLY TRUTH WITH RELIGIOUS AND CHURCHANITY. YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON ON THESE SUBJECT. I HOPE THE POSTER LEARNS FROM YOU AND OTHERS TOO LEARN THE TRUTH.

GOD BLESS YOU RICHLY AND GREATLY.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by frevangel(m): 5:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
In addition to my previous comment,

The biggest issue facing the doctrine of speaking in tongues is the misunderstanding by many denominations.
I have had the opportunity to fellowship with several ministries and finally got BAPTIZED(FILLED) with THE HOLY SPIRIT AND SPOKE IN TONGUES IN A MINISTRY WHERE THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN THE DOCTRINE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES!

In school, I handled a bible class for several months, the class was called the Holy Spirit Class. Its in this class that new believeres are taught about the Holy Spirit, Tongues and other Gifts of the Spirit.

I watched people getting filled with the Spirit just sitting, listening to my teachings. Sometimes, I had to pray for one person and ask that person to pray for others just to show that it has nothing to do with how "anointed" I was but how ready the Holy Spirit is in blessing us with His gifts.

Speaking in tongues has been wrongly taught in many ministries and I am sure its not malicious. Its like many other doctrines that have been taught wrongly!

YOU CAN GO TO HEAVEN IF YOU DON'T SPEAK IN TONGUES!
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEAK IN TONGUES BEFORE GOD CAN USE YOU TO DO GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS!!!

However, there are UNTOLD BLESSINGS in speaking in tongues!

You would GROW FASTER SPIRITUALLY if you do speak in tongues!
You would ACCOMPLISH MORE if you speak in tongues!
You would HAVE BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF GOD'S WORD when you speak in tongues!
Your PRAYER LIFE WOULD BE MORE EFFECTIVE when you pray in tongues!

You DO NOT LEARN HOW TO SPEAK IN TONGUES!
You DO NOT JUST "SAY ANYTHING" when you pray in tongues!

HOW CAN YOU RECEIVE(BE BAPTIZED WITH) THE HOLY SPIRIT?

1. By ASKING GOD in prayer. Luke 11:13; (This was how I personally got filled in my dad's parlour and started speaking in tongues September 22nd, 2000. After attending several "Holy Ghost Revival" services and almost gave up that its either not true or the gift is not for me.)
2. By LAYING ON OF HANDS by someone who is filled himself. Acts 19:6; (I have led countless to receive or be baptized with the Spirit this way since 2001)
3. By BEING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF AN INSPIRED PREACHING! Acts 10:44-46; (I have seen a few receive the Holy Spirit this way when I preached)

WHO IS THIS GIFT FOR?

The gift of the Holy Spirit is for every man but only those who are BORN AGAIN CAN RECEIVE the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:38-39;
(This is one reason many people don't receive, they miss it and say the gift isn't for them. I did the same too but after I got understanding from the Word of God I don't think so anymore, at least every person that attended my classes then with such understanding think differently now, and they all got filled with the Spirit and prayed in tongues!)

RECEIVING THE HOLY SPIRIT VS SPEAKING IN TONGUES.

One other aspect people miss it is that they associate speaking in tongues with receiving(or being baptized in) the Holy Spirit.
SPEAKING IN TONGUES IS ONE OF THE SIGNS THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED (OR BAPTIZED WITH) THE HOLY SPIRIT. ITS NOT THE ONLY SIGN AND NOT THE NUMBER ONE SIGN. IN SHORT, THE IMMEDIATE SIGN THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE STRONG PASSION TO WITNESS FOR CHRIST!!! ACTS 1:8;
Remember that before the Disciples received the Holy Spirit they were timid and hiding but after they got filled that day (Acts 2) they came out of hiding and went everywhere preaching without the fear of dying for their faith!
Speaking in tongues is an ability you receive once you have receive the Holy Spirit. The only thing is you can DECIDE TO USE THAT ABILITY AND ENJOY THE BENEFITS OR NOT!!! That is not the only gift as I cannot go on in this topic teaching all that (Some other time please!)
To give you an assignment, look up 2 Timothy 1:7  (For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.), John 14:26, John 16:13, Isaiah 11:2; you see some of the gifts you received when you receive the Holy Spirit and many who speak in tongues have not used those gifts as well.

THE TRUTH IS THAT ONCE YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT, IF YOU PRAY DEEPLY, YOU WOULD HAVE TO MAKE EXTRA EFFORT NOT TO SPEAK IN TONGUES, NOT THAT YOU WOULD BE TRYING TO SPEAK!!! EVEN WHEN YOU TRY TO SUPPRESS IT, IT WILL LET LOOSE SOMEDAY AND YOU WONT BE ABLE TO STOP YOURSELF FROM PRAYING IN TONGUES!

It's unfortunate that many have put the cart before the horse and they tell you "go ahead an speak", "just say anything" etc. And when you say some words they think you are filled(have been baptized). this can work for some people but many who have a background where they have been taught against the experience and many that are VERY RATIONAL will have issues with these "patterns!"

I personally prefer to teach you how to worship and pray after you have received the Holy Spirit such that when you finally speak in tongues no devil hatched out of hell can convince you otherwise! I don't need anybody to convince me of these teachings as I had personal experience! No one forced me to speak in tongues, so I know that even when the most respected Preachers come today and say they no longer believe in speaking in tongues I would still be enjoying myself praying in the Spirit, speaking in tongues!!!

I hope I have been able to clear some doubts!
I pray for those who are open to God right now with a hunger to receive (be baptized with) the Holy Spirit,
RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT, IN JESUS NAME! BE FILLED RIGHT NOW WHERE EVER YOU ARE, IN JESUS NAME!
GO AHEAD AND SING PRAISES UNTO HIS NAME, WORSHIP HIM FOR BY FAITH YOU HAVE RECEIVED!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 5:55pm On Feb 23, 2012
[b]@ Acelifted,

WE ARE HERE TO LEARN, ITS A PRIVILEDGE TO HAVE THIS PLATFORM, YOUR QUOTE BELOW,

Acelifted Quote

I can see people are enjoying this topic, usually controversial. There is enough evidence from the thread (Bible verses in KJV) to support the fact that the apostles and early Christians spoke in "unknown" tongues. It was called unknown because the natural human mind cannot fathom it. 'Unknown Tongues' is a gift to the body of Christ - a very lethal weapon for Christians against the devil ,  now you know why he is fighting it, even on nairaland. whether you believe it or not, the truth remains the truth and you will answer to this truth somewhere down the road of your life, here or there.

CAN YOU KINDLY EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN HERE (  It was called unknown because the natural human mind cannot fathom it).

WHEN INSIDE THE SAME CHAPTER THE 'UNKNOWN TONGUE'  DEMANDS 'AN INTERPRETER' WHO MUST INTERPRETE  THE SAME MESSAGE RENDERED IN THE 'UNKNOWN TONGUE' SO THAT NATURAL HUMAN MIND CAN UNDERSTAND IT IMMIDIATELY,

AND PAUL INSIST THAT 'IF' AT ALL THERE IS NO INTERPRETER TO INTERPRETE ALONGSIDE THE TOUGUE SPEAKER TO CARRY PEOPLE ALONG, HE 'THE TOUGUE SPEAKER MUST ''KEEP SILENCE'' TO THE CHURCH FIRST' THEN HE SPEAK AUDIBLE ONLY TO HIMSELF, AND TO GOD.

DONT YOU SEE THAT THE AUDIENCE INTEREST IS CLEALY TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION. AND DONT YOU NOTE THAT EMPHASIS WAS ON 'HOW THE MESSAGE GET DIGGESTED OR WELL UNDERSTOOD BY THE NATURAL AUDIENCE?

1COR 14:28-32 (KJV)

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

[color=#000099] 33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

KINDLY EXPLAIN WHY INTERPRETER IS DEMANDED HERE.[/b]
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by hardbody: 6:23pm On Feb 23, 2012
I am in the wrong part of Nairaland again. How did i get here sad sad sad
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Pharoahnd: 6:27pm On Feb 23, 2012
The poster's argument makes a lot of sense to me. Has someone ever stopped to ask themselve what they are actually achieving whenever they open their mouths and start to make all sorts of sounds in the name of speaking in tongues? When u make those sounds, who are u communicating to? If u claim to be communicating to man at dat point in time, then it is best u speak a language he understands. On the other hand, if u claim to be communicating to God in ur self-induced tongues, then confirm to me which verse in the bible requires u to babble ceaslessly to talk to God. Like the poster said, Paul laid his hands on them and they began to speak in tongues, which to me is for the purpose of those dat were from the foreign lands. Over here we do a lot of follow-follow without stopping to ask ourselves why we do what we do and what we achive by doing it. As for me, u'll never catch me blabbing in some concoted language in the name of speaking in tongues. I hail u for finding the bravery to come up with such a issue dat has bothered me for a long time.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Ayodeb(m): 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
I want to commend the courage of this lady for speaking the truth regardless of how unpopular her thoughts are. Most people who responded to the thread did not read her thoughts well. The disciples of Jesus Christ would not have achieved much if the Holy spirit has not empowered them to speak in tongues--in the languages of the various ethnic groups who were at the pentecost for the great festival. The disciples spoke in the languages of the people. Those people understood and they were able to make changes to their lives and became christian. What is been accomplished by those who claimed to be speaking in tongues today? Is it not ridiculous that in the same church where are all Yorubas some are still speaking in tongue? For what purpose? What will that accomplish? Funny enough these so called tongues are unknown. God is a God of order and not of confusion. It is not just this matter of speaking tongues that people are been misled today. What about the misery of Trinity. The doctrine that God is three in one. That Jesus Christ, God and Holy Spirit are equal. None is greater than the other. A direct contradiction of what Jesus said that "My father is greater than I."

I also want to point out that regardless of our difference with other people in the matter of religion we should NEVER be ABUSIVE! Let us show people some respect because we are all entitled to our opinion. Please, kindly moderate your comment! May you have peace!!!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments. i deeply appreciate it.

But why are some people labelling me as an apostate when they should be directing that emotion to those thieving and wicked pastors?

Paul only mentioned speaking in tongues to the Corinthians but why directing it to the corinthians? anyone care to know?

Paul never made it important that christians should speak in tongues. Even some of his doctrines were in conflict with the Apostles, the one who followed Jesus till his death. That is another point of focus. You cant take everything that Paul says hook line and sinker. Even some theologists have pointed out some paul's doctrines that contradicts with the teachings of Jesus or that align with other eastern philosophy. So when you read Paul's letters, proceed with caution. I have solid reasons to say this.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Infomizer(m): 8:08pm On Feb 23, 2012
This tongue thing yet again!

From argument-led experience, I've learnt that Ap. Paul implied two types

Type 1: Hausa man speaking Esperanto
Type 2: Any 'spirit-filled' fella speaking in 'unknown' tongues supposedly understood by God

How come it's this type 2 that is 'proliferated' today?

What happened to type 1?

When the 'Holy Spirit' intervened in on the Pentecost, it was type 1 abi? Does that not imply that a spirit-filled fella has to obey type 1 since it was the original?

Could Ap.Paul (a prolific writer) not have invented type 2 subjectively? (After all, Shakespeare invented Romeo and Juliet)

Have they really analyzed the various angles of 'unknown' as Paul inferred? (Punjabi is 'unknown' to the typical wafi guy)

Since type 2 has a general and predictable format, hasn't it implied that its a lingo, and thus serving as God's language? In this regards, God does have a language Or that's what they speak in 'Heaven'?

So the Almighty has a language and he chose to reveal it to a few of his creation (a very microscopic few at that)? May I ask why?

Did Ap. Paul record a 'demo' of what it should sound like? (After all, type 2 was his concept)

Could the Corinthians have done something not recorded that warranted such attention?

Why did he not insist in the same way to the Thessalonians, Ephesians, Colossians, Romans, and Galatians? (or they did not need to speak in tongues?)

Where are there no recorded replies to his letters? (Maybe today's xtians would have had the 'general picture)

What is the point of only this type 2 meme today?

If 'speaking in tongues' is really as it was recorded, then type 1 should be as widespread as type 2, abi?

Different people have different interpretations regarding many bible matters, was that God's plan? Is it an intelligent one? (remember, a house divided, is no house at all, a church divided is no church too!)

Or is that God different from the super-intelligent architect of the universe?

I rest my case for now!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by melodytos(m): 8:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
to me, i dont condem speaking in tongue.but what of people that copy them self to speak. "shira baba shira bobo". is too common
i discover something now adays. most followers speak their overseer type of tongues, i dont know if u people observe that.
just think about this.
God knows all. pls dont condem anybody.we are here to learn and speak our mind.
mind u i dont condem. am a christian and i dont speak.
God bless us all
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by stildude(m): 8:38pm On Feb 23, 2012
@ayodeb. Please I would like to point out to you that the main purpose of tongue was not so that other men could understand us speak to God in prayer. Please refer to other posts by some persons with references to the bible on this subject. After that one off=thing when the people spoke in a language that was understood by foreigners in the new testament, we don't have much record of it happening again in the bible. Paul's task was to bring the message of salvation to non jews and he didn't have to speak in their language all the time to accomplish his mission.

@ Fr Evangel. Like someone said earlier the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. The gift of tongues can manifest in any form. If Paul had not laid his hands on the early christians to speak, today some people would have been criticizing laying on of hands in Holy Ghost baptism. Another case is when the 'anointing' is moving in the church, some people will resist it while others are falling to the ground. If you don't accept that speaking is right, even though you have received certain measure of the spirit at salvation, you may never speak in tongues. The Bible says, ''my spirit will no longer strive with man''Gen 6:3. I have a book on my shelf right now which I would like to recommend to you in case you have not read it yet. '' Tongues: Beyond the upper room'' by Kenneth Hagin. Don't view the things of the spirit through the eye of any doctrine.

Cheers!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by studM(m): 9:47pm On Feb 23, 2012
Diluminati y are u being so unwise,how there u blaspheme!u must b out of ur mind,don't blame u anyway,d thins of the spirit can only d discern by men filled wit d spirit
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by frevangel(m): 10:26pm On Feb 23, 2012
@Pharoahnd & Ayodeb - It is obvious that you didnt read my earlier posts or you are simply fulfilling the first part of my comment, 1 Corinthians 2:14,

@dilluminati - I didn't direct my posts at you even when I know you started it all, because from your approach and name you dont seem like someone who is desiring to learn but one who is trying to prove a point and discredit some teaching. However if you care, you can go through my posts again and again. I have been able to teach more hardliners through my years in school. Cultists, Stunch Roman Catholic friends, Jehovah's Witnesses, Ekist, Muslims etc. who are tongue talking, Holy Ghost filled believers today. You would need more than what you've put up here to even win a second attention from 100's of these folks who dont need me to try explain anything from the scriptures to them anymore! They have their personal experiences and are themselves firebrand evangelists doing more than I am doing riht now!
I remember one particular classmate of mine that was a stunch Catholic. After I led him to Christ and got him to start coming to fellowship with me, he became a different person entirely. Guess what, he never spoke in tongues when I laid hands on him several times but I always let him know that he received the spirit when I did. It was 2 weeks later in a prayer meeting in our sports complex then when he burst into tongues after a prolonged worship. Since then you could catch him! He had a crusade that is  about a year later, which we still on tape today, when he walked into that crusade grounds people where screaming, devils where checking out of people possessed with them, people where getting healed, people where crying to get saved, some burst into tongues for the first time! All he did for the next 20 mins or so, was to hold the mike and pray in tongues fervently. Like I said, in all my years in minstry I have never done such awesome works, but I know where his faith came from, he was properly taught about the Holy Spirit. He was my student in the Holy Spirit class (read my earlier posts). I'll leave it there, let him that have ears hear, a word is enough for the wise.

@informizer - read my earlier psot, I have answered your thoughts. They didnt speak the language of the people, but the people understood what they where saying, it was what God did to make them get a message. Dont forget the disciples were not talking to them but were praying to God on their own, it was God's way of getting their attention that day! Furthermore, have you heard of The gift of Word of knowledge? If you have you shouldnt wonder how this happened!

@Stidude - My favourite teacher is Kenneth Hagin. Right now 60% of my Christian literature are Kenneth Hagin's books. Nonetheless, he is not the standard, the Bible is. His books are to aid you in studying the Bible not to replace the Bible. I love him and get inspired by him but my foundation must be on the Bible and not his books. What I wrote earlier are directly lifted from scriptures and they are a result of prayerful studies for a long time. I would never refer you to a book by another author or theologean to butress any point because they can never be the standars. The reason I put out a lot of scriptures in my previous write ups was because I am not the standard as well, Jesus is, the scriptures reveal him to us! Speaking in tongues is AN ABILITY you receive after receiving the Holy Spirit. There are other gifts you received silmultaneously too. It is your responsibility to USE THE ABILITY!! There is so much one would benefit when we USE the gifts including speaking/praying in unknown tongues. When you use the gifts, they grow and you get stronger spiritually!

@All - I am not trying to prove that I know more than any for the Bible is there for you to search and study. All I ask is for you to be open when you study. Put down your prejudice and study the Bible like a child. You would be amazed what God would show you!

Like I said earlier (My previous posts), I GOT FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND PRAYED IN TONGUES WHILE I WAS A MEMBER OF A MINSTRY THAT PREACH AGAINST THE DOCTRINE!! I read the scriptures and concluded that I could be filled and pray in tongues even though my pastors taught otherwise then! So there is no excuse. After I received the Holy Spirit then, my friends who were Catholics but belived in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues asked me to pray for them. I did and one of them recived too and later all of them did. They all pray in tongues till date!
Where you worship is not an excuse, you have the Bible to check for yourself!!! Unless you don't believe in the Bible!

Once more I say, God Bless you.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by BERNIMOORE: 10:28pm On Feb 23, 2012
@stilldude
Please I would like to point out to you that the main[color=#000099] purpose of tongue was not so that other men could understand us speak to God in prayer.

AND

@studM
d thins of the spirit can only d discern by men filled wit d spirit

IS THE PURPOSE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUE MEANT TO BE HIDDEN FROM THOSE WHO DON’T HAVE THE GIFT?

OF COURSE THE MAJORITY OF THE BELIEVERS DO NOT HAVE THE GIFT BUT HAVE A SENSE OF BELONGING AND UP TO DATE WITH THE INTERPRETATIONS OF THE ‘TONGUE.

OR, IS  PAUL NOT ACTUALLY TAKING THE AUDIENCE INTO CONSIDERATION FIRST DEMANDING FOR AN INTERPRETER SO AS TO DECODE OR ‘EDIFYING THE BRETHREN AND AUDIENCE, AND TO BE  CARRIED ALONG AND NOT REMAIN IN IGNORANCE WHEN HE STRESSED  'THE NEED FOR AN INTERPRETER?

please lets read together,

1 cor 14:8-12

8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle?

9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.

10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance.

11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me.

12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
(33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.)

SOME SET OF PEOPLE HERE WERE ACTUALLY RULED OUT IN SPEAKING IN TONGUE ,WHICH IS THE WOMEN;

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

36 Or did the word of God come originally from you? Orwas it you only that it reached?

AND LASTLY PAUL INSTRUCTS THAT ALL THESE RULES MUST BE AKNOWLEDGED FIRST.
37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.

YOU CAN SHARE YOUR POINT ON THIS PLS.
[/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind? / David Oyedepo Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today / "Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 224
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.