Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4449150 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (2230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 4:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

91 Days- 9.79%

182 Days - 10.17%

364 Days - 10.35%

Regards.

[/quote]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 4:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
nitrogen:
PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

91 Days- 9.79%

182 Days - 10.17%

364 Days - 10.35%

Regards.

Just as expected!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by frankyj(m): 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2014
nitrogen:
PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

91 Days- 9.79%

182 Days - 10.17%

364 Days - 10.35%

Regards.

Expected the rates to be on the rise by now. Well, compared to other countries I guess our rates are still better. My banks rate for the 91 days was 9.5%

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 7:20pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=frankyj][/quote]

I have never bought from the primary market but recently I had to and my last bid failed so I bid lower.My question is if my bid is lower to the successful bid,am I going to get the rate of the successful bid?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 8:14pm On Sep 03, 2014
angelo82:

I have never bought from the primary market but recently I had to and my last bid failed so I bid lower.My question is if my bid is lower to the successful bid,am I going to get the rate of the successful bid?

Multiple bids auction system, you will get your bid rate, just ensure that your bid rate is lower than or equal to the stop rate, if it was a bond auction, then the stop rate would be for everybody, as in all winners would be allotted at the same rate (stop rate).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
nitrogen:

Multiple bids auction system, you will get your bid rate, just ensure that your bid rate is lower than or equal to the stop rate, if it was a bond auction, then the stop rate would be for everybody, as in all winners would be allotted at the same rate (stop rate).

I am talking about T.Bills here……I instructed my bank to bid at 10% to avoid loosing the bid like last week but successful bid is 10.17%….Am I going to get 10.17% or what?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 8:33pm On Sep 03, 2014
angelo82:

I am talking about T.Bills here……I instructed my bank to bid at 10% to avoid loosing the bid like last week but successful bid is 10.17%….Am I going to get 10.17% or what?

You will get 10.00%.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2014
nitrogen:

You will get 10.00%.

I see….For some years I have been buying from the secondary market but since the secondary market rate is below 10%,then I had to bid in the primary market….I really have to find a solution to my funds…….Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 9:28pm On Sep 03, 2014
10% is still low.
Hmmnn.... Really tinking of what to do with my fund.
@feelamong: you haven't answered my question? Which one is bean storage
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 9:36pm On Sep 03, 2014
angelo82:

I see….For some years I have been buying from the secondary market but since the secondary market rate is below 10%,then I had to bid in the primary market….I really have to find a solution to my funds…….Thanks.

You sure about the bolded? I think it is your bank that always give you a certain rate, with you thinking that it is the secondary market you are buying from, the minimum volume required for secondary market purchase or sale is 250m. Well, maybe your fund is close to or well over 250m, and if that is the case, then you have been accessing the secondary market truly.

By the way, the last time I checked, you can get 10.60 or so for a mid-tenor bill in the secondary market, also, there are Omo bills at 10.75/10.80.

It all depends on your advisor sha.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 9:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
nitrogen:

You sure about the bolded? I think it is your bank that always give you a certain rate, with you thinking that it is the secondary market you are buying from, the minimum volume required for secondary market purchase or sale is 250m. Well, maybe your fund is close to or well over 250m, and if that is the case, then you have been accessing the secondary market truly.

By the way, the last time I checked, you can get 10.60 or so for a mid-tenor bill in the secondary market, also, there are Omo bills at 10.75/10.80.

I am very sure…Infact I bought one in august from a different bank which will mature by Feb……You can buy from some banks at anytime not necessarily if there is auction or not.When it was 12% for 180days at the auction,I bought from bank at 11.2%…..But this very bank only buy through CBN auction and by Gods grace,I will move my fund by march next year to one of my other banks because after the election I may opt for something better….
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 9:56pm On Sep 03, 2014
angelo82:

I am very sure…Infact I bought one in august from a different bank which will mature by Feb……You can buy from some banks at anytime not necessarily if there is auction or not.When it was 12% for 180days at the auction,I bought from bank at 11.2%…..But this very bank only buy through CBN auction and by Gods grace,I will move my fund by march next year to one of my other banks because after the election I may opt for something better….

Yes, this just confirmed my assertion, you don't buy from the secondary market, that one you are doing is just an arrangement/scheme by the bank.

We have two markets for treasury bills, primary and secondary, secondary is OTC (over the counter), so it means you can trade all tradable bills daily, just like the stock exchange market, but this time, it is done over the counter, and the minimum volume traded is 250m. Most times, individuals can't access it, banks, PFAs, and discount houses do.

Yours is just an arrangement between you and your bank. They get the bills and sell at a lower rate to you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mpeace(m): 10:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
nitrogen:

I also buy from the secoondary market with far lesser fund. The minimum is 100k and you can actually buy on any working day of the week, that is why I like it. I use diamond bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 10:07pm On Sep 03, 2014
Mpeace: I also buy from the secoondary market with far lesser fund. The minimum is 100k and you can actually buy on any working day of the week, that is why I like it. I use diamond bank.
For where? It's your bank that is pulling all these stunts. Trust me, I know what I am saying, naija financial market (fixed income and equities) is part of my terrain so to speak.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 7:38am On Sep 04, 2014
you say po-taay-to, i say po-taar-to...you say to-maay-to, i say to-maar-to...let's call the whole thing off!

"secondary market"; we might see it as those that weren't bought via auction. 250m or not.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 7:42am On Sep 04, 2014
nitrogen:
PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

91 Days- 9.79%

182 Days - 10.17%

364 Days - 10.35%

Regards.

Bro.... You were spot on.

Please can you drop your email address/BB Pin so those of us who need your FREE rate analysis can reach you, incase you disappear from this thread.

Regards

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 9:10am On Sep 04, 2014
nitrogen:
For where? It's your bank that is pulling all these stunts. Trust me, I know what I am saying, naija financial market (fixed income and equities) is part of my terrain so to speak.

One thing you don't know whether stunt or not,they actually sell Tbills to you because when I checked with my custodial concerning the Bills that I bought in Aug.,they have the physical bills with them.So secondary markets exist and I am sure no matter how much you have.If banks buy with 250M….What are they suppose to do with it?….Selling it to clients will be a good deal as they will make more and quick money…..But that market is bad now because official rate is down and bank rate is nothing which means the official rate will eventually go up since everyone is now ready to bid from the primary market….
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kinnad(m): 11:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Never knew there is auction already. Please house if I should go to my bank in the morning, will I still be opportuned to buy some? Sorry, am a newbie
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 1:03am On Sep 06, 2014
kinnad: Never knew there is auction already. Please house if I should go to my bank in the morning, will I still be opportuned to buy some? Sorry, am a newbie

You can only place an instruction for the next auction date as this week's auction is ended already
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Joysmart(f): 10:57am On Sep 06, 2014
Friends I bring you cheap MTN Data at a very cheap price.
250MB 300
500MB 600
750MB 900
1GB 1200.

Call 07083084985
watsapp 08038904583
Email kelechismart@gmail.com.
expecting your calls / watsapp

NB it works on all devices and it's valid for 27-30 days. You can pay with recharge card or cash (bank).
Oga feelamong no vex o na your sidl
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 7:08pm On Sep 06, 2014
nitrogen:

Yes, this just confirmed my assertion, you don't buy from the secondary market, that one you are doing is just an arrangement/scheme by the bank.

We have two markets for treasury bills, primary and secondary, secondary is OTC (over the counter), so it means you can trade all tradable bills daily, just like the stock exchange market, but this time, it is done over the counter, and the minimum volume traded is 250m. Most times, individuals can't access it, banks, PFAs, and discount houses do.

Yours is just an arrangement between you and your bank. They get the bills and sell at a lower rate to you.

I understand your point my oga but I don't agree with the N250 million Naira minimum. I think the minimum is about N1 million naira (not too sure though). What if you decide to sell a N5 million Tbill before maturity? Such is usually done in the OTC market depending on the forces of demand and supply just like the stock market. What do you call this one? It is still the secondary market.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 7:27pm On Sep 06, 2014
nitrogen:

If a primary dealer buys in bulk from the primary market and sell to you at a lower rate, it is still a secondary market transaction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 6:41am On Sep 07, 2014
Elai147:
If a primary dealer buys in bulk from the primary market and sell to you at a lower rate, it is still a secondary market transaction.

Okay, I get you now, right, any arrangement outside the primary market can be termed a secondary market transaction.

What I am just saying is this, there is an OTC market (maybe main secondary market) where rates of bills changes daily, just like stocks, e.g a 91 day bill you bought last week at 9.95%, may have changed to 10.10%, of course, the tenor would have changed to maybe 85 days. Now one can buy that bill at 10.10%, but it isn't accessible by individuals. Arrangements are very much different from what I am saying.

Basically, there is a market where the rates of bills changes daily, and also where big institutions, bills traders, pension fund guys etc buy and sell bills daily. You see that itrade platform, something like that exists for bills trading too.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 5:59pm On Sep 07, 2014
nitrogen:

Okay, I get you now, right, any arrangement outside the primary market can be termed a secondary market transaction.

What I am just saying is this, there is an OTC market (maybe main secondary market) where rates of bills changes daily, just like stocks, e.g a 91 day bill you bought last week at 9.95%, may have changed to 10.10%, of course, the tenor would have changed to maybe 85 days. Now one can buy that bill at 10.10%, but it isn't accessible by individuals. Arrangements are very much different from what I am saying.

Basically, there is a market where the rates of bills changes daily, and also where big institutions, bills traders, pension fund guys etc buy and sell bills daily. You see that itrade platform, something like that exists for bills trading too.

You are right. In the secondary market there is daily trading of Tbills between primary dealers/market makers in the OTC market where the rates of bills changes daily. There are two types of transactions that can take place in the secondary market: buying from OMO and buying from other market operators. The OMO is not accessible by individuals, only primary dealers/market makers and there are set minimum volumes for the dealers. Non-primary dealers will submit their bids to the primary dealers. Primary dealers will submit their own bids to the CBN and if their bids are successful, they will then issue bills to the various banks/non-primary dealers at their various bid rates who in turn sell to individual investors at lesser rates and make profits.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yogun(f): 5:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
ernie4life:
no upfront in kgif and the rate is 12%( No with holding tax)

what is the minimum investment on KGIF?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 6:08pm On Sep 09, 2014
yogun:

what is the minimum investment on KGIF?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yogun(f): 8:02am On Sep 10, 2014
ernie4life:

Can u kindly send me your acct manager contact number?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 8:37am On Sep 10, 2014
yogun:

Can u kindly send me your acct manager contact number?
Ok I will send you a pm, reply the PM and I will send you the number. I can't post his number here, so I will send it to your email
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by confluence: 11:02am On Sep 10, 2014
@earnie4life, i did KGIF FEW MONTHS BACK , I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU, CAN i have your phone number please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yogun(f): 11:05am On Sep 10, 2014
confluence: @earnie4life, i did KGIF FEW MONTHS BACK , I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU, CAN i have your phone number please?
my is zero eight zero three six six nine one nine 5 6

Hi Confluence, can you share you investing experience here to help intending investors
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yogun(f): 11:13am On Sep 10, 2014
ernie4life:
Ok I will send you a pm, reply the PM and I will send you the number. I can't post his number here, so I will send it to your email

Can u kindly resend the pm, I just changed the email address attached to this account cos I can't access my yahoo on this device
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 11:36am On Sep 10, 2014
yogun:

Can u kindly resend the pm, I just changed the email address attached to this account cos I can't access my yahoo on this device
Ok I have done that

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (2230) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.