Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4451989 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (2231) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
lancee:

chillisauce , Gtbank said for you to get approved for secondary t-bills you need to invest minimum 5milion
How far is that true ?
im not sure about that. I have invested lower than that amount before and i was sure it was from their secondary market, although they wont tell you that.

They let you submit your request and then tell you later after the bidding that they lost in the bids but they are willing to sell you some ( in most cases from their secondary market)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
tolutweety: Wen tbills mature, how soon do they pay ur money into the acct.my tbills matured last Friday,haven't gotten any alert yet.

Should I call my banker or wait a while??
@CoderXO
@angelo82
@Chillisauce
@feelamong
@seun

anything about money, you dont wait. Time is money. Start dialing the head quarters now

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
Chillisauce:
im not sure about that. I have invested lower than that amount before and i was sure it was from their secondary market, although they wont tell you that.

They let you submit your request and then tell you later after the bidding that they lost in the bids but they are willing to sell you some ( in most cases from their secondary market)

I know banks re looking fo money now , so they re discouraging pple to go inot t-bills
The acct officer that is handling my t-bills said he had put it into the fixed deposit until the next t-bills auction and i was given an intrest rate of 7.5% on fixed deposit, i will call the head office
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
feelamong: TBILLS CBN STOP RATES FOR 25/07/2013

91 days ---------11.60%

182 days --------12.75%

364 days ---------13.33%

I would definitely be throwing my bid come August 6th ....The new CBN CRR rates would only make the banks to sell down on their Tbills and as such attract higher rates for us in the Auction!wink

Happy Investing!
how can I get d latest rates?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godside: 8:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
tolutweety: Wen tbills mature, how soon do they pay ur money into the acct.my tbills matured last Friday,haven't gotten any alert yet.

Should I call my banker or wait a while??
@CoderXO
@angelo82
@Chillisauce
@feelamong
@seun

@tolu , pls let us know if they credited your account and the step you took . Thnx
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 8:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
Godside:

@tolu , pls let us know if they credited your account and the step you took . Thnx
Chillisauce:
anything about money, you dont wait. Time is money. Start dialing the head quarters now
angelo82:
Instantly your money should be in your account….But all in all its good to always give instruction to the central customer care or head office concerning any investment because most times branches of banks are so irresponsible that they always suppress customers deposit/investment.Contact your bank immediately!

This is actually the first maturity of my few different tbills investment...and that was why I dint knw it shld be paid same day.
I called immediately @feelamong advised I call...and the lady apologised and said some gibberish,she told me to drop my acct details n she ll look into it.
To cut the story short,some minutes to 4,I got an alert.

Thanks y'all...i appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
tolutweety:

This is actually the first maturity of my few different tbills investment...and that was why I dint knw it shld be paid same day.
I called immediately @feelamong advised I call...and the lady apologised and said some gibberish,she told me to drop my acct details n she ll look into it.

correct, but don't forget to share some of the millions with us o. Suen and feelamong go take big share smiley

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godside: 11:26am On Sep 23, 2014
[quote author=tolutweety]

Good to know.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 10:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
ifyalways:
What's the current prevailing offer price for 50K units of KGIF? If I do orange pass,how much should I expect after 1 year?

Kgif is still 50k for 50k units at 12% interest.
orange pass is 10%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 5:58am On Sep 24, 2014
for those that want to buy Tbills, remember there will be auction today.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2014
ernie4life:

Kgif is still 50k for 50k units at 12% interest.
orange pass is 10%
thanks. spoke to your people and done.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2014
ernie4life: for those that want to buy Tbills, remember there will be auction today.
More infor please.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 4:39pm On Sep 25, 2014
I've been following this thread for many months, and finally decided to join Nairaland mostly because of it. Great exchange of knowledge!

So, I'm trying to decide on continuing rolling over my TBill investments or switch to physical assets (Land).

To the gurus, with the current downward trend on interest rates, wouldn't you say purchasing lands - with the intention of selling after a period - is a better investment? Of course, one has to bear in mind the risk factor.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 5:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
petikal: I've been following this thread for many months, and finally decided to join Nairaland mostly because of it. Great exchange of knowledge!

So, I'm trying to decide on continuing rolling over my TBill investments or switch to physical assets (Land).

To the gurus, with the current downward trend on interest rates, wouldn't you say purchasing lands - with the intention of selling after a period - is a better investment? Of course, one has bear in mind the risk factor.

...interested in responses to this question.

Yours thoughts: @feelamong @angelo82 @Chilisauce and all others too please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 5:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
petikal: I've been following this thread for many months, and finally decided to join Nairaland mostly because of it. Great exchange of knowledge!

To the gurus, with the current downward trend on interest rates, wouldn't you say purchasing lands - with the intention of selling after a period - is a better investment? Of course, one has bear in mind the risk factor.

Well it depends, Yea buy a land and sell latter will offer you more interest but the risk is high compared with buying tbills or fixing it.
You could buy a land that has already been sold to another and then you start having issues over the land. You could also buy a land and when you need the money urgently you won't see a cash at hand buyer.
Am not trying to discourage u from buying land, neither am I saying that tbills and fixed income pays more that landed investment, all am saying is the risk is lower and its more secured. That's my view. 
Let's hear from @feelamong @angelo82 @Chilisauce

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 6:25pm On Sep 25, 2014

To the gurus, with the current downward trend on interest rates, wouldn't you say purchasing lands - with the intention of selling after a period - is a better investment? Of course, one has to bear in mind the risk factor.
welcome and good to have u on the train well i will suggest u stick with paper asset for now the risk on landed property is high and development around the landed property plays a paramount role that also should be put into consideration before getting any. On buying NTB or investing on it, i don't see any major risk apart from an internal war or break up but even if there is a civil war i believe after the war you can get your fund back wink .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 7:03pm On Sep 25, 2014
princeuk21: welcome and good to have u on the train well i will suggest u stick with paper asset for now the risk on landed property is high and development around the landed property plays a paramount role that also should be put into consideration before getting any. On buying NTB or investing on it, i don't see any major risk apart from an internal war or break up but even if there is a civil war i believe after the war you can get your fund back wink .

ernie4life: Well it depends, Yea buy a land and sell latter will offer you more interest but the risk is high compared with buying tbills or fixing it.
You could buy a land that has already been sold to another and then you start having issues over the land. You could also buy a land and when you need the money urgently you won't see a cash at hand buyer.
Am not trying to discourage u from buying land, neither am I saying that tbills and fixed income pays more that landed investment, all am saying is the risk is lower and its more secured. That's my view. .

Thank you, folks. Yes indeed, TBills are significantly safer, while there are risks involved in purchasing a land. Assuming one does due diligence, these should be avoided. My intention, however, is purely to buy and flip after say 8-12months, no development. Of course, the longer I keep the property, the better chance of getting more value.

Hmm, with hopes of not diverting the thread, perhaps there's already one on this topic?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 7:13pm On Sep 25, 2014

The reason why you invested your fund in T.Bills is because you prefer a very safe investment…..Land might be profitable if you buy with logic but you can't predict the outcome as several circumstances could affect your investment in a land which is not possible in fixed income securities…Even though the interest is going down you should watch out because land in Nigeria is a very complicated asset…From falsification of documents which is very essential before you can dispose the asset to unaware litigation…..I will tell you that land is not a safe asset because from the process of buying a land you could loose your fund and if you are lucky to buy a well documented land,location could affect the return on that land except if the land is for your own use….This is the time to reflect on various possibilities but if you still want to preserve your fund cautiously and you don't need it for now,you should invest in Bond….The return can't go down because the money is actually used for projects financing and is completely risk free and I mean FGN Bond but you should wait till after the election just to be sure there is a government….I am going to do the same…There is no need to fret over the current rates which I believe is due to the personal interest of the new CBN Gov and is not going to support the current economic realities on ground…So far you have the fund to invest,more fixed income opportunities will come your way especially from Feb……Below is the link to the government agency issuing Federal Government Bonds….By that time we will change this thread to T.Bills/Bond…..lol…But very similar instruments but different economic purpose….

http://www.dmo.gov.ng/fbm.php
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 7:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
Angelo, indeed FGN bonds could be another alternative, although the rates are only slightly better (13%) for a longer tenor - 2 years minimum. We saw same rate for TBills last year on 1yr tenor. So you reckon after elections, TBill rates will improve? Factoring current inflation rate at 8.5%, it just doesn't make sense to keep it so low.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2014
petikal: Angelo, indeed FGN bonds could be another alternative, although the rates are only slightly better (13%) for a longer tenor - 2 years minimum. We saw same rate for TBills last year on 1yr tenor. So you reckon after elections, TBill rates will improve? Factoring current inflation rate at 8.5%, it just doesn't make sense to keep it so low.

I don't think you should hope so much on T.Bills as the CBN Gov. is bent on reducing rates so as to spur lending but yeah it doesn't make any sense because of inflation and the falling naira….But 13% for Bond for a year is good if you are the waiting type like me…But on T.Bill rates,its 60% possible that the guy will change is stand on it as its policy plans to cut down the rate is very unrealistic and can put pressure on his job….So its better to invest in T.Bills and manage the current rates for now…And after Feb. you can review your options…..I believe there will be need for money/investment come 2015…..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 10:02pm On Sep 25, 2014
angelo82:

I don't think you should hope so much on T.Bills as the CBN Gov. is bent on reducing rates so as to spur lending but yeah it doesn't make any sense because of inflation and the falling naira….But 13% for Bond for a year is good if you are the waiting type like me…But on T.Bill rates,its 60% possible that the guy will change is stand on it as its policy plans to cut down the rate is very unrealistic and can put pressure on his job….So its better to invest in T.Bills and manage the current rates for now…And after Feb. you can review your options…..I believe there will be need for money/investment come 2015…..

Thanks man. I'll wait and keep fingers crossed. What CBN Governor is pushing for is actually good and practiced in developed nations, but many factors must be in place. On one hand, I'd like to get a higher TB rate, but I'd also like to see a stronger Naira and low inflation - which is indicative of a thriving economy. If the latter is achieved, it'll be good for everyone. Fingers crossed.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 10:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
petikal:

Thanks man. I'll wait and keep fingers crossed. What CBN Governor is pushing for is actually good and practiced in developed nations, but many factors must be in place. On one hand, I'd like to get a higher TB rate, but I'd also like to see a stronger Naira and low inflation - which is indicative of a thriving economy. If the latter is achieved, it'll be good for everyone. Fingers crossed.

It will be good if all the indices are real!…..We definitely need to move towards large manufacturing and exports before we can achieve a low interest rates in Nigeria which is not visible for now…..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 7:26am On Sep 26, 2014
angelo82:

It will be good if all the indices are real!…..We definitely need to move towards large manufacturing and exports before we can achieve a low interest rates in Nigeria which is not visible for now…..
you just said it large manufacturing and export because importation is truly killing our Naira and that is also a sign of underdevelopement.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:51am On Sep 26, 2014
princeuk21: you just said it large manufacturing and export because importation is truly killing our Naira and that is also a sign of underdevelopement.

And can you imagine we have the export market already but just not taking advantage of it…..I mean we can export product cheaper to other parts of African than Europeans and Asians….Maybe if we can seriously prioritize our energy sector then we can finally develop our country and tax base can increase….Until then Naira will struggle to survive….
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 7:47pm On Sep 26, 2014

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
ernie4life:

Well it depends, Yea buy a land and sell latter will offer you more interest but the risk is high compared with buying tbills or fixing it.
Am not trying to discourage u from buying land, neither am I saying that tbills and fixed income pays more that landed investment, all am saying is the risk is lower and its more secured. That's my view. 
Let's hear from @feelamong @angelo82 @Chilisauce

Hear from chillisauce? cheesy. You said it all. Buying land in Nigeria is better if you have money to develop it as soon as you get it.. leaving it for sometime is not advisable.
The scam that comes with landed property is too much .

Also , if you don't have your personal retirement house, I would suggest you get that before investing in TB . Because the cost of building materials increases rapidly yearly.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 10:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
My two cents:

Buying land Nigeria can be quite profitable and yet on the other hand be a total disaster of an investment.

You stand the absolute stand of losing every single penny you put in because of scammers, omonile wahala, lack of proper govt. regulation and documentation.

Having said that, a lot of folks who invested as little as 5-10 years back are cashing in big time.
One of the greatest upsides of the "developing" countries ( of especially Africa) is development itself.
The need for infrastructure, housing, amenities in these sprawling cities as more Africans are getting into the middle class (we are all making more money overall).

The demand for land is absolutely like none else anywhere else in the world.
I'm not talking just Nigeria; Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda etc etc etc.

The potential appreciation of genuine land/real estate totally floors the meager gains of fixed securities.
...and nothing actually feels like owing your own home ( or homes ), where ever that home might be.

Investing in land is in my opinion is a longer term investment than most fixed securities but you stand the chance of a greater return in the long run. The risk is greater because of the nature of our country, yet I would invest far more in land than tBills all day long!

One very good point @Chilisauce just made is securing your investment by quickly building on it.
That is very important in these parts! That for me is = building rental property. This in fact is my destination career: to be a property developer!!!

I importantly noted @petikal said he was interested in buying land and flipping it in what I would consider "short" term.
If that is the approach, you might find tBills a better option for your investment money.
If you have a longer "outlook", go for land.

My two cents; peace!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 10:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
coderXO: My two cents:

Buying land Nigeria can be quite profitable and yet on the other hand be a total disaster of an investment.

You stand the absolute stand of losing every single penny you put in because of scammers, omonile wahala, lack of proper govt. regulation and documentation.

Having said that, a lot of folks who invested as little as 5-10 years back are cashing in big time.
One of the greatest upsides of the "developing" countries ( of especially Africa) is development itself.
The need for infrastructure, housing, amenities in these sprawling cities as more Africans are getting into the middle class (we are all making more money overall).

The demand for land is absolutely like none else anywhere else in the world.
I'm not talking just Nigeria; Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda etc etc etc.

The potential appreciation of genuine land/real estate totally floors the meager gains of fixed securities.
...and nothing actually feels like owing your own home ( or homes ), where ever that home might be.

Investing in land is in my opinion is a longer term investment than most fixed securities but you stand the chance of a greater return in the long run. The risk is greater because of the nature of our country, yet I would invest far more in land than tBills all day long!

One very good point @Chilisauce just made is securing your investment by quickly building on it.
That is very important in these parts! That for me is = building rental property. This in fact is my destination career: to be property developer!!!

I importantly noted @petikal said he was interested in buying land and flipping it in what I would consider "short" term.
If that is the approach, you might find tBills a better option for your investment money.

My two cents; peace!

I find your piece very interesting and logically it apply to land situation in Nigeria but sometimes we need to draw ideas from real life experience more than from speculation……You have to know that even if you have complete papers of landed properties in Nigeria you may not get the expected return…..When you need to sell then the story will start except if you are lucky to find a direct buyer by yourself,it may take a very long time before you can sell the land because agents will definitely play you so that they can get more money…..I built two different structure on the same land in Lagos….A 4bedroom bungalow and one duplex and in 2012 I asked them to sell it so that I can earn money on it and build something more solid in another part of Lagos because I used quality stuffs for the house and I prefer to sell than to rent…..We involved many agents but nothing happened until late last year that I single handedly use my contact with one of my bank to rent it to a branch manager…..I thought it would be easy but the real estate sector of Nigeria is not liquid…….If you want to go into real estate build for yourself or build to rent……And if you are not living in Nigeria,the lesson I learnt is never to build something very big because you may never use it…….….Its an asset that appreciates but liquidity can be a problem when you need to sell…..Buying of land is better for long term investment as you said because it will definitely pay off…..But you can't compare both because they serve different purpose….Tbills is more for preservation of wealth while also having quick access to liquidity at any time….While land will save you some day after many years of buying it but not very liquid like Tbills….In my opinion you need to have both investment as it could be an advantage to you just that you will have to be very careful on the side of land and never to invest too much on land except you are an expert….My experience….
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 26, 2014
Real estate in renting works better if you build cheap houses for low income earners . For mid and high income, it will take you yrs to make a profit . You might even be dead and one sibling takes over the whole thing. cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 10:40pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chillisauce: Real estate in renting works better if you build cheap houses for low income earners . For mid and high income, it will take you yrs to make a profit . You might even be dead and one sibling takes over the whole thing. cheesy

lol….You are very funny…..I really don't want to be involve renting/selling of house but you know I can't live in two places at the same time so I had to make a decision but the good thing is banker love nice apartment and they pay good……Its better than just to leave the house like that and most of the horrible experience of real estate you can't know until you involve yourself……Nothing is straight forward,very complicated and too much stories….
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
angelo82:

lol….You are very funny…..I really don't want to be involve renting/selling of house but you know I can't live in two places at the same time so I had to make a decision but the good thing is banker love nice apartment and they pay good……Its better than just to leave the house like that and most of the horrible experience of real estate you can't know until you involve yourself……Nothing is straight forward,very complicated and too much stories….

Good you have someone in already. Real estate , you will have to make out time. Buying land, documentation, building etc. Just like you say, it should be something permanent. The risk also is what I fear . This era of kidnapping etc. When I was constructing mine yrs ago, you need to see the way I was just sneaking in and out sharply. Make awon boys no carry me then charge millions.

If you are going in real estate now, just do it coded, if you can afford it, get a trust worthy engineer, then relax . But this you need a Miracle to get one.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 11:35pm On Sep 26, 2014
coderXO:

I do intend to develop much later, but the intention right now is short-term profit. One strategy is - even after due diligence in purchasing - fence the land and/or lease out it for farming while looking for buyers. I live abroad, so I view building and renting to be significantly more demanding. If I were to build and rent anything, it would be of high quality with no compromise on maintenance and sustainability. But then to accomplish such require I either coordinate it myself physically or hire qualified and reliable individuals. THAT is my long-term goal. cool

Meanwhile, I'll just exercise patience for now and see what happens after elections.

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (2231) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.