Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article (10472 Views)

Ojukwu And Gowon Eating Together At Aburu,ghana 1967 - Photo / A 1967 British Newspaper Headline Of A Nigerian Man Helping The UK (pics) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by DuduNegro: 10:15pm On Mar 02, 2012
Abagworo:

Ethnic cleansing

. . . what is that, ethnic cleansing?   What are these:

1. forment trouble in Western house of assembly and depose Awo
2. create trumped charges and lock Awo and Enahoro up
3. 19 days later change constitution and divide Western region
4.  subdue Isaac Boro and the his Delta movement
5.  subdue North under civil servants and military force led by Igbos
6. kill off West (Akintola), MidWest (Okotie Eboh), North (Balewa and Bello) and as well their ethnic Army officers
7. suspend constitution and solidify "nationalism" so no one escapes from the grip of NdIgbo rule and monololized power
8. promote Hausa and Ibo officers and elevate Igbo civil servants to senior posts and deployed to West and North for the implementation of Zik vision for nationalist agenda

You dont need to roll into town in an armored perssonell carrier shelling bazookas in order to effect ethnic cleansing. . . . . you could do it with just a stroke of the pen.  Zik used his pen, Nzeogwu used his guns and bullets. . . . Ironsi used his decree and . . . . when it came turn for ndIgbo to taste its own coffee. . . or should I say, honey. . . . Ojukwu said his people are ethnically being killed. 

wtf!! angry
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by dayokanu(m): 10:19pm On Mar 02, 2012
^^ Right on the money
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by exotik: 10:33pm On Mar 02, 2012
grin negro nations for president after jonathan. negro 2015!
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by DuduNegro: 10:54pm On Mar 02, 2012
lmao. . . if you make me President Nigeria will not last 1 week. Everybody will end up in their fatherland. I will fold the green white green flag and send it to Britain tell them to exhume Lugard and rebury him in the new fabric.

Delta people will have their oil. . . .yeeeeeeee!!!

Biafra will be actualized. . . hip hip, hooraaaayyy!!!

Arewa will have Sharia. . . . . . yeeeee, Allah mun gode!!!

Oodua will have its politics and social development back. . . . yeeee. . .Baba alaiye!!!!

grin grin grin
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by Dede1(m): 11:01pm On Mar 02, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

In violation of the constitution of the First Republic promulgated October 1st 1963, Orizu (Igbo man), Senate President, installed Ironsi in power.  Ironsi immediately issued decree 34 and suspended the constitution.   As an emphasis, he also committed to nationalism. In other words, Zik's vision of Ndigbo dominating and monopolizing power in Nigeria continues and will be implemented with boots and guns if necessary. The Hausas were now more than ever adamant on getting out of Nigeria. To placate and stall their demands. . . . he promoted Igbo and Hausas military personnell only but not Yorubas. He left the military criss-crossed postings in place and rapidly elevated Igbo civil servants and began relocating them to North. The aim being to begin the plan of direct rule of Hausaland. . . take Sharia courts and native authority out and install and effect civil and statutory laws and central governance accountable only to the Head of State. . . . or as they called him SUPREME COMMANDER! Doesn't that title alone say it all?

One of the most laughable conjectures I have come across on this forum is the bolded part of above crap. I have taken some less credible writers such as Sanusi Lamido to task about this unfortunate falsehood and enjoyed a laughter as I watch them struggle to locate the section of 1963 constitution of federal republic of Nigeria Orizu contravened. I guess UPE introduced in western region of Nigeria by Obafemi Awolowo is not something to write home at all.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by aljharem(m): 11:50pm On Mar 02, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

. . . what is that, ethnic cleansing?   What are these:

1. forment trouble in Western house of assembly and depose Awo
2. create trumped charges and lock Awo and Enahoro up
3. 19 days later change constitution and divide Western region
4.  subdue Isaac Boro and the his Delta movement
5.  subdue North under civil servants and military force led by Igbos
6. kill off West (Akintola), MidWest (Okotie Eboh), North (Balewa and Bello) and as well their ethnic Army officers
7. suspend constitution and solidify "nationalism" so no one escapes from the grip of NdIgbo rule and monololized power
8. promote Hausa and Ibo officers and elevate Igbo civil servants to senior posts and deployed to West and North for the implementation of Zik vision for nationalist agenda

You dont need to roll into town in an armored perssonell carrier shelling bazookas in order to effect ethnic cleansing. . . . . you could do it with just a stroke of the pen.  Zik used his pen, Nzeogwu used his guns and bullets. . . . Ironsi used his decree and . . . . when it came turn for ndIgbo to taste its own coffee. . . or should I say, honey. . . . Ojukwu said his people are ethnically being killed. 

wtf!! angry

+ 1000, I don't still understand why they hate yorubas because of that undecided cry cry
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by tpia5: 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2012
There are Nigerian tribes who don't talk

true that even though you yourself dont understand your statement.

unfortunately, in typical nigerian fashion, the discussion has geared elsewhere besides the actual topic.

nobody has a clue.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by CyberG: 5:21pm On Oct 05, 2012
Onlytruth: I watched the video of MASSOB and I know that it is only a matter of time before those boys will face Nigeria squarely again.
Yoruba will hide like hyenas and wait for the victor; then come out to lionize and kiss the victor's @ss.

Nna, I tire. cry

Lol...hope iboz remember this your empty bragging after 10 M iboz pay for your stupidity like they did for ojzuku.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by dayokanu(m): 5:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^ Na so dem dey start and when the real war start the flee to Abidjan and later scream genocide
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by pazienza(m): 6:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
One nigeria is a country built on the blood of my people,each time i look at my late uncle's picture,i am forced to remember that. I have nothing but hatred for this country,i can't just help it,i just finished watching a biafran war documentary.

Nigerians wants to sweep the biafran question under the carpet,they must be joking.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by dayokanu(m): 6:25pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^ Exactly the same way others too feel when they remember the blood of their leaders spilled on the bed by useless Ibo soldiers.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by CyberG: 6:32pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Abagworo,

I said the state of things when the war began!  I was not concerned about the debate of why the 12 states were formed.  But since you brought up the reason behind this creations then I will gladly entertain your inquiry.

The first constitution we had was the Independence Constitution of 1960, which went into effect on October 1st 1960.  This was superseded by the constitution of October 1st 1963 promulgated by Azikiwe as the First Republic Constitution.  This was when Zik carved Mid West out of West.  All the regions knew there was oil in the Niger Delta but the Hausas did not have full appreciation and value of the possibilities and were not privvy to the full assessment or extent of the oil resources and wealth in the offshore Delta area but the Yorubas and the Igbos knew and had this information.

There was a academic outfit from University of Ibadan that acted as a ad-hoc strategic policy team for Western Region. They write proposals formulated from research and analytical outputs to advance the policies and politics of the West.  So Awo knew about the oil reserves.  Akintola had some issues with this group because they were too loyal to Awo, instead of the government of the region.  West was very liberal in its politics but also very volatile in its demand for allegiance. . . . people get killed for falling out of favor with political ideologies and party principles.  From 1962/63, the West was ablaze with political wars and up until 1966.  Strong allegiances in different party factions and turfs weakened the erstwhile strong and unified political frontier.

Western region was also the only region in the entire country where education was free. (proposed in 1952 but started in January 1955).  Western house in Ibadan was the secretariat for the following provinces included in the region - Abeokuta, Bini, Lagos (minus Federal Capital), Delta, Ibadan, Ijebu, Ondo and Oyo.  These were the Western provinces.  Whatever obtains in Ibadan is uniformly deployed and implemented in all the provinces.  Every person born and of school age in any of these provinces, if they attended school between January 1955 and Jan 1966 (coup), did so on the platform of Western region's socio-political programme.  There were other programmes in tandem with the free education programme; free health being one of them.  East did not have this and North did not. 

Awo wanted confederacy, Zik wanted nationalism.   Awo wanted each region to rule and determine its own future, Zik wanted all the regions to be ruled and directed from a unified center.  Zik, in collaboration with Eastern elements, devised a means by which the growth in the West could be stunted.  Awo had to be eliminated! Killing Awo will set the country on fire.  So he was set up, along with others. . . . including Anthony Enahoro.  They were tried in front of Justice Sowemimo, a Yoruba, and convicted and sentenced to imprisonment. This was on September 11, 1963.  19 days later my friend, Zik changed the constitution and carved Mid West out of Western region.  lol!  Following that rapid action the West protested, but in the wake of its turbulent political wars and chaos, its handicapped voice had no effect. 

Akintola was very savvy in his understanding of local politics, he lacked backing of the UnIbadan academic corps that had supported Awo as Premier.  He therefore was not informed in the broad policies with which to manipulate national politics successfully.  Awo and Akintola had different styles of governing; Awo was tactful, Akintola was tenacious.  If Awo did not succeed in one approach, he employs a different approach for the same goal until he gets what he wants.  Akintola did not believe in changing tactics. . . .if there are barriers in his way, he believes in knocking them over to get through to his goal.  His energy and focus were greatly consumed by events on the ground in West and therefore distracted from the rapidly changing events at national level. 

With Awo in prison, that left Zik with Ahmadu Bello as contender for National politics and power,  Okpara, the premier of Eastern region, was in status quo mode and in concordance with Zik's ambition and leadership.  The West is successfully broken and isolated from oil welath, the North had no oil and so the East remained the only region with oil wealth.  Therefore, if Igbo can retain nationalism at all cost and did not loose any of the other regions, then it will sit on an empire of massive wealth from groundnut and cotton in North, cocoa, palm oil and rubber in West, cocoa, palm oil, rubber and oil in MidWest, coal, palm oil, rubber and oil in East.  All these will be in the hand and domination of Ndigbo.  This plot is what fed Zik's insistence for nationalism.  To implement it successfully, he criss-crossed Army personnell from their home states into different tribal lands.  The ethnic balance in civil service was rapidly been manipulated as well the Army officer corp.  Ahmadu Bello grew dissatisfied with the arrangements and changes and his loss of regional power to a central government.  Economies and regional authority of the natives was invaded and subordinated to the market forces and statutory administration of government headed by Ndigbo.  This dissatisfaction is vented in a public interview that is now widely distributed online.  Ahmadu Bello then began a series of move to seceed the Northern people out of Nigeria. In West, Akintola had locked down with his opponents and defiant elements of AG. . . . the turmoil boiled over and had the appearance of triggering restlessness in other areas, particularly Niger Delta Volunteer Force led by Isaac Boro.  Boro was leading a grassroot movement that defied and despised the Eastern region's monopoly and abuse of power against minorities in the Delta area,  An urgent solution was needed to bring Boro, Bello and Akintola under check before "nationalism", Zik's darling baby was prematurely killed.  This was what led to the Igbo coup of Jan66.

Ndigbo must be the king of Nigeria and to do that successfully, the top echelon of other ethnicities in military and civil power must be disabled and all oppositions to this schemed domination demolished and removed.   Zik knew about the coup, Okpara knew about the coup and Ironsi knew about the coup.   I dont need to recap that story it has been talked about many times, so I will skip it.  So, what happened after the coup?

In violation of the constitution of the First Republic promulgated October 1st 1963, Orizu (Igbo man), Senate President, installed Ironsi in power.  Ironsi immediately issued decree 34 and suspended the constitution.   As an emphasis, he also committed to nationalism. In other words, Zik's vision of Ndigbo dominating and monopolizing power in Nigeria continues and will be implemented with boots and guns if necessary. The Hausas were now more than ever adamant on getting out of Nigeria. To placate and stall their demands. . . . he promoted Igbo and Hausas military personnell only but not Yorubas. He left the military criss-crossed postings in place and rapidly elevated Igbo civil servants and began relocating them to North. The aim being to begin the plan of direct rule of Hausaland. . . take Sharia courts and native authority out and install and effect civil and statutory laws and central governance accountable only to the Head of State. . . . or as they called him SUPREME COMMANDER! Doesn't that title alone say it all?

After Coup of July66, pushed out of power and the reins of control for "nationalism" in the hand of a Northerner, Ndigbo suddenly realized that nationalism is not a good plan for the country and sought confederacy. This is one of reasons for Aburi. Gowon implemented Aburi in the best way he could fit it into a national agenda. . , Ojukwu then raged that the agreements of the accord was violated and he will take his people out of Nigeria before he would submit to a national power in which the regions had no control of their own destiny and management. Gowon declared a decree and state of emergency in East and created 12 states, breaking Easten region and isolating Igbo land, thereby freeing Isaac Boro land and Ibibioland. Igbo lost its access to the oil wealth. This is exact same policy employed by Ndigbo to eliminate and isolate West. The Northerner followed that precedence and Ojukwu, dissatisfied declared secession. When Biafran army started out. . . .the first places they went and planted their Biafra flag was oil producing states. . . . South Eastern state, Rivers State and Bendel state. The Biafran war strategy was aimed at capturing and subordinating the entire country. . . .starting from oil lands, then West and then up North. What it could not accomplish politically, it sought, with boots, guns and bullets, to execute militarily. Both approaches failed. The nationalism that Ndigbo wished and planted forcefully on others, is today a heavy yoke around its neck.

Do not do unto others that which if done to you will distress your heart and burden your spirit, . . . law of "cause and effect" (Karma).

Anyway, Abagworo. . . if you have any more question or if you want to open another can of worms. . . .please feel free to.

This and MORE reasons are why iboz CAN NEVER be trusted in Nigeria. Past leaders have performed below potentials but ibox will DESTROY the country.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by pazienza(m): 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2012
dayokanu: ^^ Exactly the same way others too feel when they remember the blood of their leaders spilled on the bed by useless Ibo soldiers.

What does what happened in the military have to do with innocent civilians? I can't believe am sharing the same country with you people.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by pazienza(m): 10:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
dayokanu: ^^ Exactly the same way others too feel when they remember the blood of their leaders spilled on the bed by useless Ibo soldiers.

What does what happened in the military have to do with innocent poor citizens? I can't believe am sharing the same country with you people.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by dayokanu(m): 11:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
pazienza:

What does what happened in the military have to do with innocent poor citizens? I can't believe am sharing the same country with you people.

I didnt know Akintola, Balewa, Okotie Eboh, Bello were military guys. Have you considered getting yourself educated?
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by pazienza(m): 12:11am On Oct 06, 2012
dayokanu:

I didnt know Akintola, Balewa, Okotie Eboh, Bello were military guys. Have you considered getting yourself educated?

U are dumb,were those people killed by poor civilians?
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:30am On Oct 06, 2012
exotik: who ever read that letter ojukwu sent to awo(?) floating all over the internet would have been a fool to allow them biafrans occupy their land without consent. even if they were flushed out of the occupied land and nuked back in where ever was their territory is only fair game.

May the almighty God bring sweeping deaths to you and you generations to come...! May you never see any good in all your lifetime! May pain,betrayal and treachery become your soulmate! may your soul born in hell for eternity! May all mighty answer my prayers because in as much as i want the Igbo to be the best I never wish anybody death !!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by M17: 12:41am On Oct 06, 2012
Yorubas are useless set of people that has this high profile when ever you ran into them , After railing through this useless NAIRALAND JUNK hosted i.p board forum, any body can host from any where .I have determined to Hate any thing in fact every thing about Yoruba . living in this wicked world one can not be forced to live with his staunch enemy ,I do not hesitate to live my life but one thing i do know ,is that any single Yoruba person is my enemy ,I might be wrong but GIVING the fact that majority of yoruba have one reason or the other in hating igbo's because when majority carries the vote you don't need an assistance to remind you that your life is in danger .I have not seen where a Yoruba man sided or talk good about igbo's . You Igbo keep sleeping and keep trusting GOD ,as God will never come down to liberate you from the hands of your notorious # 1 arch enemy , Yoruba .foolish igbo Keep befriending Yoruba ,stop chit chatting with YORROBERS they are not your friend ,heaven have to come down before you believe.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by tpia5: 12:50am On Oct 06, 2012
^you are sick, and need to get help.

even if you're just typing a script, you've still lost it.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by demmy(m): 7:02am On Oct 06, 2012
M-16:
Yorubas are useless set of people that has this high profile when ever you ran into them , After railing through this useless NAIRALAND JUNK hosted i.p board forum, any body can host from any where .I have determined to Hate any thing in fact every thing about Yoruba . living in this wicked world one can not be forced to live with his staunch enemy ,I do not hesitate to live my life but one thing i do know ,is that any single Yoruba person is my enemy ,I might be wrong but GIVING the fact that majority of yoruba have one reason or the other in hating igbo's because when majority carries the vote you don't need an assistance to remind you that your life is in danger .I have not seen where a Yoruba man sided or talk good about igbo's . You Igbo keep sleeping and keep trusting GOD ,as God will never come down to liberate you from the hands of your notorious # 1 arch enemy , Yoruba .foolish igbo Keep befriending Yoruba ,stop chit chatting with YORROBERS they are not your friend ,heaven have to come down before you believe.

What an ingrate!!! You're insulting Yorubas on a forum created by a Yoruba. Typical.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by demmie1: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2012
[quote author=Onlytruth]^^

My friend the fact that you can speak where I am speaking tells me that something must be wrong with your head.
something must really be wrong with his head to speak where an slowpoke is speaking.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by demmie1: 2:07pm On Oct 06, 2012
M-16:
since you've now admitted to hating yoruba you can pack you nylon bags and move east. perhaps we would have more peace with you not around anymore.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by hakanai(m): 3:58pm On Oct 06, 2012
Dudu_Negro: White people dont understand this culture or the root of our issues but come here and speak to a people who sell them lies and they publish that as work of historical record.

Ibo people are truly delusional. . . . go to page 4 of this amateur research product and read some of the reasons why the war happened. Ibos said because dem sabi English language pass Hausa and dem sabi business so Nigerians hate dem.

Bunch of goats!! grin

^^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by webcalculator(m): 10:05pm On Nov 11, 2012
nice read
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by buffny: 12:21pm On Nov 12, 2012
Dede1:

A post laden with fallacies as exemplified by the above constituted one of the reasons Nigeria needs to be disintegrated. I doubt in if you wrote this piece. The author did not show one iota of intellectual pedigree. Let me just write on three things about this drivel.

Firstly, most of the serving ministers under the Tafawa Balewa were physically present and even urged Orizu to hand power to Ironsi. In fact the piece of paper which the constituted authority was written on behelf of the executive council was provided a minister from northern region of Nigeria.

Secondly, it is a display of acute sense of naivety to accuse Ndigbo of anti-nationalism when Ojukwu insisted that Ogundipe or Wey or Adebayo not Njoku or Imo or Eze or Ojukwu should be commander in chief as traditionally demanded by the military parlance.

Owaza and Afam oil fields were equal in volume of crude oil pumped in 1964 as Olobiri even before oil were struck in any part of Bendel State. Biafra did not fight the war because of crude oil and this can not be said about Nigeria. Often heard nonsensical crap such as crude oil presence here or there is what gives people like me the audacity to seek the disintegration of Nigeria with Republic of Igbo land as a major option.

what of the hundred if not thousands of minority civilians killed by biafra. I want to see you justifiy their murder.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by nku5: 1:09pm On Nov 12, 2012
Biafrans killed minorities?? Shed more light

buffny:

what of the hundred if not thousands of minority civilians killed by biafra. I want to see you justifiy their murder.
Re: Asaba Massacre 1967 -- Newest Article by webcalculator(m): 7:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
Gowon has apologised for this massacre n turned out in 2012 to say he has no regret for the actions he and Awo took during the Biafra war.

Gowon faults setting up of Oputa
panel
By Austin Ogwuda
Monday, December 09, 2002
ASABA—FORMER Head of State, General
Yakubu Gowon yesterday in Asaba
faulted the setting up of the Oputa panel
saying that onlyGod could bring about the
much-needed reconciliation in the
country. He also once again tendered a
public apology to the people of Asaba for
the mass killing of their kinsmen during
the civil war, pointing out that he did not
approve of the killings. Gowon who spoke
with newsmen shortly after the South-
South Zonal national prayer rally said "I
don’t know why you (Nigeria) went to
Oputa panel." But he expressed
confidence that the programme which he
is currently championing - "Nigeria Prays"
would eventually bring about the needed
true reconciliation.
An emotional Gen. Gowon also tendered
another public apology over the mascare
of Asaba indigenes during the pogrom at
the Asaba Township Stadium, venue of
the rally. His words: "It came to me as a
shock when I came to know about the
unfortunate happenings that happened to
the sons and daughters of this state
especially of this (Asaba) domain. I felt
very touched and honestly I referred to it
(killings) and ask for forgiveness being the
one who was in charge that time.
Certainly, it is not something that I would
have approved of in whatsoever. I was
made ignorant of it, I think until it
appeared in the papers. A young man
wrote a book at that time." It just
happened seven hours ago when I was
visiting the state for our nation prayers, I
took the opportunity of being with his
Royal Majesty (Asagba of Asaba) to make
this public apology on behalf of myself
and government of Nigeria at that time
and to ask for forgiveness as we have to
look at the future. I feel very touched
when we came this time to hear his
majesty refer to it again."
Bishop Noel Ikeakanam of Faith
Liberation Church Asaba gave the
exhortation and called for total
repentance among the church leaders, the
political class and the ruled to enable
God forgive the nation. Many men of God
attended the rally among them is Pastor
Ayo Dritsejafor of word of Life Bible
Church Warri.
http://guides.lib.usf.edu/content_mobile.php?pid=50639&sid=535193#box_535193

www.nigeriamasterweb.com/nmwpg1HarunaIgboMassacre.html

shedding light on asaba nightmare, university of south florida
http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=1762

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olawepo-hashim Predicts Major Upset In Presidential Election / “It Is A Lie! I Didn't Dole Out Vehicles To Bandits” — Bello Matawalle / The Genesis Of The Crisis Of Terrorism In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.