Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,979 members, 7,838,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell (20868 Views)

Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency / Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) / Dangote Secures $4.25 Billion Loan To Build Refinery In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by texazzpete(m): 7:24am On Mar 03, 2012
Beaf:

It is best for us to kick Shell out.
The Chinese have been building refineries all over the place without bringing up stup!d and insulting excuses. When it was time to kill Saro Wiwa, they didn't make any excuses.

The Chinese Government can afford to build refineries and run them at a loss because they have no shareholders to account to and their interest is more strategic than commercial.

There is overwhelming evidence which I shared earlier that Refineries are not very profitable businesses. The Nigerian Government knows this, everyone knows this. It is nobody's fault if you fell for the Government propaganda earlier.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by studyineu: 7:37am On Mar 03, 2012
Nonsense, if they can't build refineries then let them leave our country for us. I wonder what our weak and stupid foolish government will do. Had it been Gaddafi they won't try to make such statement.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by texazzpete(m): 7:42am On Mar 03, 2012
all4naija:

Chinese should take over construction of refineries in the Nigeria and let this SHELL of no good to the nation burn in hell.

Nobody has ever stood in the way of the Chinese constructing refineries. Nobody. The fact that the Chinese have not made any move to do so should tell you how unprofitable it would be. Will you also kick out the Chinese?

Proxytalk:
then shell interest is just to take crude and hes proud to say it .Is nearnes to source of raw mat. not a major factor B4 setting up ind again Nigeria wil always defiy logic

I despise unintelligent people and your post above is really daft. Of course SPDC is only interested in raw crude. They are an EXPLORATION and PRODUCTION company in Nigeria. Their agreement with Nigeria is mainly based on Exploration and Production, no mention of refining.
You folk talk as if the multinational oil companies do not provide value for the FG.
As it stands, Shell already collaborates HEAVILY with the FG in our NLNG project in Bonny. That is a profitable, downstream effort that Shell was very eager to kickstart with the FG.

Finally, nearness to raw materials is not an issue. Most refineries are situated close to raw materials. they are still not very profitable!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by texazzpete(m): 7:43am On Mar 03, 2012
studyineu:

Nonsense, if they can't build refineries then let them leave our country for us. I wonder what our weak and silly foolish government will do. Had it been Gaddafi they won't try to make such statement.

why stop at refineries. let's force them to build hospitals, schools, roads, rehabilitate Government house etc.

Also, If Shell and Chevron cannot tackle Boko Haram let them get out of the country. Nonsense!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by tiebe: 7:51am On Mar 03, 2012

why stop at refineries. let's force them to build hospitals, schools, roads, rehabilitate Government house etc.

Also, If Shell and Chevron cannot tackle Boko Haram let them get out of the country. Nonsense!

yes o! infact, why cant shell just fix my leaking roof? my compound is also flooding, can i have shell or total's number to call?
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by ikeyman00(m): 8:09am On Mar 03, 2012
texazzpete

I despise unintelligent people and your post above is really daft. Of course SPDC is only interested in raw crude. They are an EXPLORATION and PRODUCTION company in Nigeria. Their agreement with Nigeria is mainly based on Exploration and Production, no mention of refining.
You folk talk as if the multinational oil companies do not provide value for the FG.
As it stands, Shell already collaborates HEAVILY with the FG in our NLNG project in Bonny. That is a profitable, downstream effort that Shell was very eager to kickstart with the FG.

Finally, nearness to raw materials is not an issue. Most refineries are situated close to raw materials. they are still not very profitable!

yes u might have a point; but personally i dnt buy into your so called strategic logic or watever

i have watched the so called oyibo invaded Iraq to get rid of Saddam for the good of their Country; today every now and then there are killing go on; civil war etc in Iraq; then i ask again where does the oyibo responsibilities stop at?? oh last time i remember they left the country

watched the Chinese and Russians veto the mandate at UN; why u tell me teacher
saw them in Libya;the same going on and else where

and heading to Iran; information reaching us is this isn't just about building nuclear weapons that the oyibos are damn worried the Iran increasing energy firm will dominate the middle east and there wouldn't be room to accommodate their companies

what is really INTEREST

so the question that still stand as for today; forget blackman what is wrong with so many Nigerians that they completely lost their sense of reasoning and always wana look good in the eyes of the world

is it that some people have stayed oversea far too long that their brain cell have been consealed by the frozen weather; just wondering

this is the reason[b] Ojukwu[/b] will always be a rear breed in the part of the world but some of these yeye mofos just dnt know
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by lastpage: 8:12am On Mar 03, 2012
"If you say your wares (product) is cheapey, others will pay pittance for it". ITS THAT SIMPLE!

Our Leaders sold (are still selling) us for free to outsiders.

But then, GEJ and our ASSEMBLY-MEN are too concerned about their pockets and fat allowances, to even attempt to "ROCK THE BOAT" in this world where France and U.K are prepared to wage war on a country (using some Human right excuse and some men-of-the-belly accomplices), just to protect their interest and that of their Companies!.

Check Libya
Check Ivory Coast
Check Uganda
Check Nicaragua
Check, Check, Check,

Build Refineries for us!
Build Power Stations for us!!
Build Hospitals for us!!!
Build Roads for us!!!!

Wetin sef? Na dem born us?
angry angry sad cry
Are we so shameless or are we the "Monkeys" they sometimes call us?

Nothing good comes on a platter of gold.

Our destiny lies in our hands, its our move!

Lastpage!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by ikeyman00(m): 8:15am On Mar 03, 2012
^^^^

of course
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 03, 2012
Were Ken Saro Wiwa family members not compensated for the death of their father after much fight? Nigerians should fight for what is right.

We Nigerians don't know when to fight for our rights. The truth of the matter is that refineries are important to Nigeria at the moment and there is nothing wrong if SHELL being the largest benefiting company from the natural resources with the government build them.

For those supporting shell because of village schools,etc which are just drop in the Ocean compare to what they are getting from Nigeria, I would say it is a shame to be carried away with such minute contributions. Shell is colonizing Nigeria through the corrupt leaders. We should stop supporting this company because it is there for its own interest and doesn't care about how much it is poisoning the environment. Westerners protest for the interest of Nigerians abroad over such practices yet it is so disheartening to be reading those supporting SHELL comments here with open eyes.

Wikileaks reported on SHELL corrupt practices in Nigeria, that coupled with the environmental pollution is enough to demand for more from the company to support the nation in investing in areas that are of utmost important. I don't think it is not going to be profiting for the company, that's an excuse from the spokesperson. Why didn't they build when it was profiting, as some are alluding to the point it is no longer profiting to do so now? The reason is that SHELL has never been transparent with the citizens but colluded with the importers and marketers to rip the country. I don't buy into this support for the crooked oil giant. It is as corrupt as the NNPC and the Nigerian government. They are all of the same clique.

It is time the people take the bull by the horns.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by tiebe: 8:20am On Mar 03, 2012
ecause of village schools,etc which are just drop in the Ocean compare to what they are getting from Nigeria

This drop in the ocean comes from their profit. . . at least there's something to show. What is the govt doing with its share? and the govt is responsible for you and i not SHELL! i'm not supporting shell. i'm saying hold the correct body accountable.

and my word, LASTPAGE, i dnt think anyone coulda said it better. . . welldone!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 03, 2012
texazzpete:

Do you think Chinese will not be willing to do so if the Nigerian government promote that in China? If the federal government would allow close to 20% of the workers to be Chinese laborers the refineries construction would have kicked off by now, I guess. Haven't the Chinese done more than the SHELL that has been there since independence? There is alternative to Westerners this time around. If they feel they can't do much then look for the Chinese for bargain!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by karpentar: 8:27am On Mar 03, 2012
What I suppose Shell chief was trying to say is that his company would get better value for money in other oil business sectors other than refineries. He can't reasonable infer that there is no profit in refining, otherwise, how come investors were able to buy-up shell refineries in Europe as he claimed. Did they buy the refineries to operate at losses. Of course not.

In other vein, the assertion by Shell chief does not in any way stop GEJ's government from investing in refineries in Nigeria. There's huge market for refined products in Nigeria and neighbors. In that sense, its a profitable business for Nigeria and even the incoming Chinese.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by enmwata: 8:28am On Mar 03, 2012
@ all4naija[b] China is a country, shell is a company[/b]. . . e no different for your eye? china is looking to build intl r/ship, i believe shell is there for profit. besides, are if we're constantly going to be looking for companies and countries to do for us because we cannot do for ourselves. . . things will be difficult for us o
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 03, 2012
ti-ebe:

This drop in the ocean comes from their profit. . . at least there's something to show. What is the govt doing with its share? and the govt is responsible for you and i not SHELL! i'm not supporting shell. i'm saying hold the correct body accountable.

and my word, LASTPAGE, i dnt think anyone coulda said it better. . . welldone!
I am neither supporting the government. Both sides must bear the brunt of their failures. SHELL has a role to play in the development of the area the company is doing explorations. What's with you? Check every country where multinational companies operate, they contribute to the community more than the government. Profit what? Do they set aside community development fund? Please!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 03, 2012
enmwata:

@ all4naija[b] China is a country, shell is a company[/b]. . . e no different for your eye? china is looking to build intl r/ship, i believe shell is there for profit. besides, are if we're constantly going to be looking for companies and countries to do for us because we cannot do for ourselves. . . things will be difficult for us o
Don't misquote me. I never said China, I said Chinese. To promote the refineries construction in China would give room to Chinese company investors to do so. Indeed, there is a Chinese national petroleum company and it is one of the world largest though.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by tiebe: 8:38am On Mar 03, 2012
all4naija:

Don't misquote me. I never said China, I said Chinese. To promote the refineries construction in China would give room to Chinese company investors to do so. Indeed, there is a Chinese national petroleum company and it is one of the world largest though.
all4naija:

I am neither supporting the government. Both sides must bear the brunt of their failures. SHELL has a role to play in the development of the area the company is doing explorations. What's with you? Check every country where multinational companies operate, they contribute to the community more than the government. Profit what? Do they set aside community development fund? Please!

Shell has a role to play, but even in the western countries where they do a lot, they dont do it because they just love doling out money to the community. the govt compels them to do so and they know there are serious consequences if they dont. did you read my earlier post bout alaskans and the oil companies? the alaskans refused to give their govt the permission to send oil companies packing after the gulf of mexico incident because they knew they were gaining a lot! and honestly, in the communities where shell operates, i can tell you shell does more than the govt in those areas. . . water, power, roads, schools, hospital, etc. PLEASE NOTE, I'M NOT SAYING SHELL NA SAINT O. but in some ways, they treat us more humanely than our beloved country.

apologies if i misquoted u.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by kay1one(m): 8:46am On Mar 03, 2012
I think the best ting is 4 dis fuel subsidy to be kukuma be removed 1 time so we'll know that the govt is not doing anytin at all 4 us and hopefully us 4 dem! Dat way all man go rest!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Abagworo(m): 8:49am On Mar 03, 2012
This is just a tip of the iceberg with regards to what Nigerians and Africans will face as a result of our refusal to be technologically self dependent. They give us conditions before they can invest in Africa while our leaders launder our wealth into their countries indiscriminately.

Ok now that we are being blackmailed by Shell, let us take the bull by the horn and make our refineries work.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by ckkris: 8:55am On Mar 03, 2012
Texaspete: there are many people like Texaspete in Nigeria, sponsored to deceive Nigerians, that the only thing monkeys can do is to buy finished goods from oyibo, creating jobs for them, with its multiplier effects on their economies. Then give plenty AK 47, as foreign debts,  for monkey to kill themselves.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Proxytalk: 8:56am On Mar 03, 2012
people like lexxapete should beter woke up .So scrumbs that shell gives to communities as schoolarship and likes is profit to u? or LNG project which though profitable but was vigorously pursued b/cos of extreme cold wether in uk cos they needed gas to heat up there houses. do u knw that sen. comittee on BPE stoped the sale of FG remainig stake in eleme petroch refinery cos the indian company that shell bought and handed over the mgt made over 8b naira in 2010 who says refinery is not profitable
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by ebere1712: 9:05am On Mar 03, 2012
simple build your refineries yourselves. Chinese government companies,  western companies all have the same thing in common, to reap you off.  Get off your lazy azs and pay your local engineers to build you a refinery.  If they can't do it, close up all the universities in Nigeria and fvcking go and die, because you are a useless being.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 03, 2012
^^^
You're saying that because the refineries in Middle East and South America were built by their own engineers!?
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Proxytalk: 9:10am On Mar 03, 2012
Again my arguement is that the ex shell boss said that to cast ice on the spines of fed. govt. so that they will reconsider setting up refineries in nigeria, or dont you know that more efficient refieries in Nigeria means that some in UK 'll be short down. we got to be ambitious enough as a country to succeed
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by AZeD1(m): 9:20am On Mar 03, 2012
How many of the people on here voted for shell that you guys are blaming them for not building refineries for you? Shell signed a contract with the FG, pays heavy taxes and some ediots are blaming the country. Some(Beaf) are even suggesting allowing the Chinese to come in and build refineries for us. When are we going to wake up as a country and realise that nobody can love Nigeria more than Nigerians?
CNOOC is run by the Chinese government, Statoil is run by the Norwegian government, Petrobras is run by the Brazilian government and this various oil compaines are doing very very well yet some people including Beaf will tell us government has no business in business.
For those of you that don't know, one of the refineries in PH was built by shell.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 03, 2012
^^
What is the condition of that one refinery? They have been brainwashing people like you with crumbs and take away big share of the food. Keep praising them even at colluding with your corrupt government to ruin the livelihood of Niger-Delta. They pay tax, blah blah blah . . . Don't BP pay tax? Didn't they take responsibility for the Gulf of Mexico spillage? What has SHELL done about the environment before you start lashing out on the corrupt leaders alone. Both sides are evil!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by NaMe4: 9:37am On Mar 03, 2012
But I thought one of the main reasons we needed refineries was basically to eliminate the costs of exporting, refining outside and then importing refined products, so as to make more funds available for developmental projects IN NIGERIA and also this would consequently translate to drastic reduction in the cost of purchasing these products by NIGERIANS.

Whether Shell is interested or not, this is something WE must do!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by jpphilips(m): 9:38am On Mar 03, 2012
i have been waiting for beaf to return with another magic wand, this info has proven that acclaimed sons of Niger delta aka beaf have no understanding of the realities on ground in their region.

beaf was in a hurry to rush to nairaland to tell his fellow mofos that his oga has given order for refineries to be built by iocs, i told you only a stupid shell will do that and you threatened to sack them if they dont, i await you to carry out your threat.

i have a big problem with you Niger delta guys, you guys dont understand how things work in reality, you guys soak yourselves in a booter of ignorance fuelled by the rhetorics of that fulani cbn heard man,

i equally feel sorry for your oga who think that pronouncemens rule a nation, i have given order for cement price to crash, i have given orde for iocs to build refineries, always giving order without understanding the realities facing him how do you guys think?

i told you refineries will not solve the problem, you said i talk nonsense, i told you shell will not be stupid to build refineries and you said you will sack them, let us see how it goes,
nevertheless you and your oga can combine your urethra to suck oil from your beloved land once shell is gone, ignorant bingos in the corridors of power.

anyways, beaf i need you to tell your oga to withdraw the present jtf commander in the swamp, he is killing and destroying the "kpo fire" camps, because the boys refuse to yield to his unreasonable demand.

two days ago two shell guys were murdered in cold blood during a shoot out btw the jtf and "kpo fire" guys.
the new commander should be reasonable and collect what his predecessor is collecting so that peace will reign.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by dustydee: 9:47am On Mar 03, 2012
Petroleum refining is a marginal business world wide but very important.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by ektbear: 9:48am On Mar 03, 2012
texazzpete:

How much of the oil being exported is produced by the Nigerian Government?

I need to correct this. The Nigerian Government doesn't have a stake in SPDC. It has a 55% stake in the joint venture agreement with Shell and a few other operators.
For all intents and purposes sha your statement is pretty close to the truth. The Federal Government does have to pony up its share of the cash.

Thanks for clarifying. So 55% share of the joint venture, with SDPC wholly owned by Shell.
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by Whizkay(m): 9:49am On Mar 03, 2012
Dat z a big lie o, dey can neva run at a loss, if fuel importation is stopped. The country has a large market for pet product nd dey can even cater for our neighbouring countries, he jst doesnt want refineries in his own country whr we import fuel from to shut down, we must stop fuel importation nd employment exportation NOW!
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by NaMe4: 9:56am On Mar 03, 2012
Please, what's stopping Nigeria from having at least ONE fully functional refinery?
Re: Why We Can’t Build Refinery In Nigeria-shell by ektbear: 9:58am On Mar 03, 2012
lastpage:

Build Refineries for us!
Build Power Stations for us!!
Build Hospitals for us!!!
Build Roads for us!!!!

Wetin sef? Na dem born us?
angry angry sad cry
Are we so shameless or are we the "Monkeys" they sometimes call us?

Nothing good comes on a platter of gold.

Lastpage!

+1000

The vast majority of responses to this thread have made me depressed about the future of the black man.

Nobody here is even talking about Nigeria building refineries itself. All everyone is saying is, if the white man won't build it for you, then you'll ask the yellow man to undecided

Exchanging one master for another. . . little do these people know how much crueler this particular new master (China) will be.

Something is very wrong with the black man that he doesn't want to do anything himself cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Limiting Probe To Jonathan Cannot Be Justified, Falana Tells Buhari / Funmilayo Ogun: Seyi Makinde Is An Accidental Governor, He is Working For APC / Present Your Pry Sch Certificate Before Getting Salaries-osun Govt Tells Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.